Favorite Video Games of all Time (Excluding VNs)

solidbatman

Am I the only Bioware fan around here?

Also, as I see a lot of old FF fans here I recommend them to try The Last Remnant they are very similar in many ways. I myself loved FF up till FFVIII from the newer ones the only one I played was FFXII and I didn't like it that much.

From what I played of X it was pretty good, but aside from that I probably wouldn't play them (I've heard some good things about IX though).  I still can't force myself to beat XIII.

Did anyone play 7th Saga or Chrono Trigger? I have fond memories of those games

I did play Chrono Trigger but I don't have the same love that everyone else seems to have for it, maybe because I didn't play it until the DS remake.  

Always fun to see top 10 lists. Here is mine top 10 list.

1. Medieval 2 Total War 

2. Civilization V

3. Age of Empires 2

4. Europa Universalis IV

5. Halo series

6. Total War: Shogun 2

7. Gears of War series

8. Company of Heroes

9. Command & Conquer Generals

10. Sim City 3000

Contenders:
Dota 2, Fallout 3, Zelda: A link to the past, Ratchet & Clank series, Dungeons & Dragons: Baldur's Gate 1&2, Uncharted series.

This is just the tip of the iceberg... Give me a top 30 or something. I am playing too much I know that. ^^

1. ArmA 2

2. Total War: Shogun 2

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

4. Fallout 3

5. Fallout New Vegas

6. Battlefield 2: Project reality Mod

7. Mirror's Edge

8. War Thunder

9. Team Fortress 2

10. Dark Souls ;-;

Honestly this made me think, I think i sat here for about 10 mins thinking about what games I really enjoyed. :)

Guest sakanaとkoeda

1. Rune Factory 4 (3DS)

2. Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time (PS2)

3. Fire Emblem (GBA)

4. Grand Theft Auto III: San Andreas (PS2)

5. Tales of Vesperia (360)

6. Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires (PS3)

7. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS)

8. Morrowind (PC)

9. Lost Planet 2 (360)

10. Jade Cocoon 2 (PS2)

There's still a bunch and it's freakin hard to really decide on them ! >_< !

1. Rune Factory 4 (3DS)

2. Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time (PS2)

3. Fire Emblem (GBA)

4. Grand Theft Auto III: San Andreas (PS2)

5. Tales of Vesperia (360)

6. Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires (PS3)

7. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS)

8. Morrowind (PC)

9. Lost Planet 2 (360)

10. Jade Cocoon 2 (PS2)

There's still a bunch and it's freakin hard to really decide on them ! >_< !

I tried Rune Factory 1 and absolutely could not get into it.  It wasn't the farming that deterred me either, it was the dungeon system.  Would you recommend trying 4 instead or is it not drastically different?

Guest sakanaとkoeda

I tried Rune Factory 1 and absolutely could not get into it.  It wasn't the farming that deterred me either, it was the dungeon system.  Would you recommend trying 4 instead or is it not drastically different?

Hmm...what do you mean by dungeon system?

Comparing 1 to 4, I would say the premise of the game, and the designs are similar; but the interface is much better. 

I can understand how RF1 could put you off of the series though. I actually started with RF3, went back and to this day, still have not finished the first two.

Guess I'm off on a tangent though. Yes, I would recommend Rune Factory 4.

Hmm...what do you mean by dungeon system?

Comparing 1 to 4, I would say the premise of the game, and the designs are similar; but the interface is much better. 

I can understand how RF1 could put you off of the series though. I actually started with RF3, went back and to this day, still have not finished the first two.

Guess I'm off on a tangent though. Yes, I would recommend Rune Factory 4.

Mainly the fact that I can only swing my sword ten times before I tire out, then I go to the spa to replenish RP and the enemies re-spawn.  So I farm in the cave to get rune points, but those only give me two more swings a piece.  So I basically have to save up enough money for items to keep replenishing RP to one shot it (I may be missing something but that was the only method I could devise).

I beat the first dungeon like this, saw that there were five more, and promptly returned the game. XD  

In no particular order:

1) Diablo 2

2) Silent Hill first trilogy (couldn't add less sry)

3) Halo 1

4) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

5) Assassin's Creed Series (all excluding 3 and 4)

6) Resident Evil: Nemesis

7) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

8) Warcraft 3

9) World of Warcraft (until The Burning Crusade expansion and please no hate lol)

10) Fallout 3

If I could I'd add more trust me  B)  but this pretty much sums up my top 10.

Guest sakanaとkoeda

Mainly the fact that I can only swing my sword ten times before I tire out, then I go to the spa to replenish RP and the enemies re-spawn.  So I farm in the cave to get rune points, but those only give me two more swings a piece.  So I basically have to save up enough money for items to keep replenishing RP to one shot it (I may be missing something but that was the only method I could devise).

I beat the first dungeon like this, saw that there were five more, and promptly returned the game. XD  

They've made that method of RP recovery obsolete. There are many things to do for RP recovery but it's made easier this time around (e.g., the spa is no longer just once a day).

Heh, I could go on all day about why I like Rune Factory 4, but different folks, different stokes, right?

Hm, I'm not a big gamer, but here goes...

1. Mass Effect trilogy. Period. Probably the best American game in the CYOA genre, despite the occasional flaws in its writing.

2. Telltale Games' The Walking Dead, the closest thing to a visual novel utsuge in American media. And boy, utsuge indeed...

3. Dragon Age: Origins. Come on, you can't possibly talk about American video games with multiple routes, branching storyline and lots of choices without mentioning this game. Next to Mass Effect, it's like the definitive CYOA video game for the modern day gamers. Its epic story that easily surpasses all three ME games really helps too.

The rest of the video games on the list are not in order, as I don't really have as much an emotional attachment to them as the three games above.

4. Serious Sam: The First and Second Encounter. Monster-bashing fun.

5. Hitman: Contracts and Hitman: Blood Money. Killing simulation FTW. Screw Absolution.

6. GTA IV. Despite being a fun game, I don't love it as much as many people do. Looking forward to GTA V for PC though.

7. Star Wars: The Old Republic. Again, dialogue-simulation fun.

8. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. So much this. I love the alternate Spidey-stories. The other Spider-Man games just don't have the same sense of wonderment that comes with a comic book as this game does. Also, Spider-Man Noir FTW.

9. Pokemon: RBY/FR/LG. Come on, you can't talk games without mentioning this. And the G1 games are good enough for me.

10. Halo: Combat Evolved. The rest of the games are so-so to me, getting more tired of it as the franchise goes on.

They've made that method of RP recovery obsolete. There are many things to do for RP recovery but it's made easier this time around (e.g., the spa is no longer just once a day).

Heh, I could go on all day about why I like Rune Factory 4, but different folks, different stokes, right?

If they fixed the rune system I'm willing to try it cause that was what aggravated me so much.  If there was a way to restore RP in a dungeon besides farming or horrible items I would have had no complaints (I forgot the once a day spa, that bugged me too).  So did they address that?

Guest sakanaとkoeda

If they fixed the rune system I'm willing to try it cause that was what aggravated me so much.  If there was a way to restore RP in a dungeon besides farming or horrible items I would have had no complaints (I forgot the once a day spa, that bugged me too).  So did they address that?

Oh definitely. You can bust crystals, slash blue flowers, or eat meals (not hard to find or make) for RP. I mean, there will be limitations early on (phoenixes must start as fledglings, ね? :)), but you can teleport, whenever you want, back to town for the spa (at no cost whatsoever). Partying up with animals (which you can also ride on sometimes) or with townsfolk (once they like you more) also becomes viable.

Youtube might have some good videos about what it's like.

Guest sakanaとkoeda

GTA IV. Despite being a fun game, I don't love it as much as many people do. Looking forward to GTA V for PC though.

Pokemon: RBY/FR/LG. Come on, you can't talk games without mentioning this. And the G1 games are good enough for me.

I wasn't too crazy about GTA IV either. I'm waiting for a better line up of games for next gen before I play GTA V (PS4 likely).

FR&LG are favorites of mine too! They should feature the main female character in the newer games. She was tons of かわいい。

Oh definitely. You can bust crystals, slash blue flowers, or eat meals (not hard to find or make) for RP. I mean, there will be limitations early on (phoenixes must start as fledglings, ね? :)), but you can teleport, whenever you want, back to town for the spa (at no cost whatsoever). Partying up with animals (which you can also ride on sometimes) or with townsfolk (once they like you more) also becomes viable.

Youtube might have some good videos about what it's like.

Good enough, I'll give it a try.  I really wanted to like the first one, I just couldn't make myself, but if they fixed some of the problems I should enjoy it.  

I'm waiting for a better line up of games for next gen before I play GTA V (PS4 likely).

Tbh, I should be more excited about GTA V than I implied in my post, mainly because of GTA V's branching storyline. That kind of thing always excites me the most, and now it's applied to a GTA game? How awesome is that?

They should feature the main female character in the newer games. She was tons of かわいい。

Yeah, I totally dig that chick too. She's cute, and yet bears an air of tomboyish spunk to her. Definitely better than anime Misty, at least.

Tbh, I should be more excited about GTA V than I implied in my post, mainly because of GTA V's branching storyline. That kind of thing always excites me the most, and now it's applied to a GTA game? How awesome is that?

Yeah, I totally dig that chick too. She's cute, and yet bears an air of tomboyish spunk to her. Definitely better than anime Misty, at least.

Pokemon Adventures Green, I'm just sayin'.  But if we're talking Pokemon girls it's May for me hands down (although I liked Hilda a lot too).

I personally think Pokemon is overrated. I hate how a lot of games use luck. Critical hits? Why? It's stupid.

One major aspect that bothered me was the lack of a 'dodge' option, though I guess reducing the accuracy of opponent Pokemon would help you 'dodge' in that respect, I guess.

Okay, so people like Pokemon. I'm apparently some sort of a rebel, who casually plays Pokemon at random times. I honestly dislike the entire system. According to in-game folklore, (also, this folklore is supported by facts in the game) Pokemon are actually humans that died and had not finished their job on Earth. Have you seen the Yamask description? Or maybe that Abra-whatever's description? Have you read all of the books scattered throughout your journey? This means that you are actually capturing a species brother to your own, enslaving it, and constantly hurtling it into battle against its own kin. At the end of a certain Pokemon game, you are able to capture Arceus, God of the world of Pokemon. You are literally enslaving the thing that gave you life. And this is just the story, don't even get me started on gameplay.

I can think of very few RPGs without a Luck stat.  I personally have no problems with the Pokemon system, it's crazy how much detail and plan you can use these days, but I get not everybody likes them.  

Just off the top of my head, without thinking too heavily about it:

Knights of the Old Republic (and sequel)

The Witcher (and sequel)

Dragon Age (and sequel)

Jade Empire

Mass Effect

Planescape Torment

Shadowrun Returns

Betrayal At Krondor

Diablo

Sacred (and sequel)

I think those are right, and I haven't even ventured too heavily into ARPGs, or JRPGs, or dungeon crawlers.

EDIT: Ohhhh, you're talking about critical hits, never mind. My mistake, I skimmed through the conversation.

I hate how a lot of games use luck. Critical hits? Why? It's stupid.

Critical hits are an important part of RPGs. Predictable is boring, life isn't predictable, things happen which can't be accounted for. People slip, armour fails, blokes get distracted. The luck and critical hit attribute helps take into account those mishaps that happen in life a computer game can't replicate.