Fuwanovel Podcast (Fuwacast) Official Thread

OriginalRen

Heh? Really? How so? Why are you looking forward to having me on the podcast? 

Like, DUH! I really like the things you do on YouTube! Your reviews are really funny and entertaining to watch. Also, your quick look at Narcissu was very interesting too!  :)

Edited by Tenkuru

Fuwanovel Podcast Status Updates -

A lot of new problems and suggestions have popped up in the past week, and as such I wanted to address everything that was brought up and try to answer all of the questions and concerns I noticed to the best of my ability. Listed below is a list of all the new items that in some way or another have been brought to my attention. If I didn't quote anyone specifically, I decided to put things into my own words to help everyone understand it a little better and how I viewed the feedback that was given to me. Hopefully this list will alleviate some of the questions and concerns everyone has been having.

For everyone reading this post, please remember that while I may not always follow the advice that is given to me about the podcast and its direction, I am always listening to what is said to me via feedback and suggestions and that I take all of it to heart. I will always do my best to listen to the people, so please don't ever forget that.

Anyways, I hope this helps:

1. "I really think you should focus on content rather than presentation and marketing--leave those to for-profits.  A focus on content means picking topics that are compelling and trending, and finding guests that are knowledgable and have interesting viewpoints to share."

I agree 100% with this concern, however what I want to address is that no matter how much I try to make the Fuwacast have a cool title or no matter how much I try to get some cool art designs for it, none of that will ever, ever make me produce poor quality episodes. The reason I made a suggestion thread for a poll in the 1st place was to give members of the community something to keep them interested in the podcast itself. Nobody wants to see the same format over, and over, and over again. For those members who may not find many topics that interest them, the revamped look of the podcast will give them the chance to be apart of something that is being hosted on this site. Don't want to speak? Topic isn't interesting? Help me make the podcast look cool! This is our baby, something we have made; I am simply the man directing the performance. Without actors/actresses, what good am I?

In short, this project makes me happy, and I want to look at all sides of it and say to myself, "man, we did an awesome thing on the site."

2. "Each episode needs a prominently displayed title.  I listened to the Special Episode (which I was interested in due to the post above), looked around afterward and all I saw were episode numbers.  It's not the best way to keep listeners interested."

Easy fix! I will go back and label the episodes with the appropriate topics tomorrow after work. As for the open ended random questions in podcast episodes 1-3, I am not really sure what I should label these as, considering they are a mesh of many questions, so if you have any suggestions, let me know via PM and I can put something up!

3. Talent is something you have to seek.  The people you want the most aren't necessarily going to take the initiative to volunteer.  People tend to respond better when you appeal to their ego than if you just cast the widest net possible.  Finding the right people for each topic is going to require some familiarity with the community, use of social connections, and some good old fashioned persuasion.

As I stated before in a previous address of the podcast, finding volunteers is a challenge, however after reading this comment a little more, I think I have found a solution. Everyone talks about Ren, all we ever hear about is Ren this, and Ren that. Ren makes the questions, Ren chooses the topics, and Ren leads the charge. Well, enough about me! Let's shift gears for once and start talking about you, the community. So many people do so much for Fuwanovel, and I think it would be awesome to represent them in a 1-on-1 podcast. No topics, no discussion, just questions about what each member does and why they enjoy doing what they do.

To give some examples that come to my mind, Nosebleed posts his anime preview posts, Clephas posts his VN of the month, and SieghartXx makes some mean signatures for a huge portion of members here on the site. Let's get to know them! I understand that not everyone will want to be interviewed in a 1 hour podcast, but I think we can reduce that time if we want these interviews to be shorter. I think there are a lot of people (some who I know personally) that have a lot of stories to share and that everyone would love to get to know more about.

4. "Hey Ren, your recent episodes are taking a long time to get started. What's the deal?"

My original intent was to release 2 podcast episodes every 2 weeks, meaning 2 a month. For July, we are all caught up on that total except for the the 4th episode of the podcast. I understand that this episode has had some issues with time, and I will be honest in saying that I have not emailed the group for that episode in awhile. I do apologize for this. I promise I have not forgotten the episode, I just haven't taken the time to sit down and finish it. With the current 3 episodes on the list, the end of August will see everything caught up, with a total 10 episodes for the podcast. As for the special episode which was recorded recently (located at the end of this post in case you missed it), as well as the 1-on-1 episode suggestion I posted in the previous concern, I don't think those should count against that release limit and should be a separate entity all together; whatever day works best for those being interviewed will be the best time to record and upload them, however I will never post more than 1 a week.

I hope this helps make people understand how I am working the podcast. As for other time delays, sometimes personal life and other projects get in the way. Also, I lose motivation at times, so bear with me if there is a lull period between each episode due to that reason.

5. "I really don't understand the point of a podcast when text is so much more informative..."

An interesting point, and I am glad you brought it up. Not everyone likes to speak, and some people feel they can address things better in text than they are able to in speech. For the next round of podcast episodes after the current 3, I have an idea that may seem like a stretch but I feel could be interesting to try. We have tried group volunteer recordings and I have suggested the new 1-on-1 member episodes. Now let's try a round table discussion. Instead of having only speakers in the actual podcast, let's have people who want to participate use text as well. See point #6 below for more details on this.

6. "It's just my opinion, but I think many of the current topics lack general appeal, especially ones that focus on a single visual novel.  I think controversies would make better topics: issues such as the impact of piracy on the visual novel market, sexualization of children in VNs, censorship in VNs.  Think about the threads that always rise to the top in the forums, and the issues people are passionate about.

Let's do it. The people speak, and I will listen. I think these podcast episodes are a great way to involve the entire Fuwanovel community. For each topic, I can choose the most passionate people to be featured on the actual speaking portion of the episode, where (as suggested in point #5) other members are allowed to join an IRC while listening to a live stream of the cast. People can discuss the content in the IRC and host their own discussion, while we in the podcast host the same discussion side by side. I will pull comments, questions, and other material from the IRC while we discuss, essentially giving everyone a chance to talk about the actual episode. During the recording, I can capture both the IRC chat in 1080p, full size, while at the same time recording the audio. While the audio portion will be the only thing recorded for download, the YouTube videos which are currently being worked on will have the recordings of both the chat, as well as the speech.

In short, we will be making a live forum thread via a podcast episode. As for the guests in the IRC, anyone will be welcome to come and join as they see fit. Stay for the whole thing, or leave early, it doesn't matter. If the discussion is big enough, we can add time and take a break between recordings, essentially splitting the episodes into parts. There is a lot of potential for this.

7. "I can't download any of the podcast episodes! Help me!"

I am currently uploading all of the recorded episodes into my Google Drive which I will publicly share with the community at the end of next week. My internet is not the fastest, and since I like to do other things on my computer during the upload times, please bear with me while I get each one on the drive. In addition, maefdomn and The Major are working on the YouTube side of things. As soon as I start handing them the episodes, they will hopefully start working on that as well.

For the time being, please wait patiently and I promise I will get them to you as fast as I can.

And that's it. I am terrible at closing posts, so instead, here is that special episode I was talking about on the Mixcloud for those that haven't had a chance to listen to it:

http://www.mixcloud....wacast-special

Feedback please. I am always listening.

Hmmm, that sounds good, Ren. If you ever do a loli episode, I'm in.

That special episode was pretty interesting to hear , maybe even the most interesting podcast I've heard yet (in my opinion). I allways thought Tay would have the voice of a boss, but he sounded quite normal and human :P. And it was interesting to get to know that stuff about Aaeru. She is a character surrounded by a lot of mystery, and I think many of the members, (especially the newbies) want to know more about her.

I think the interviews and the format for the discussion sessions in particular are excellent ideas.  Participating in the latter as a guest or as a bystander on IRC would be pretty interesting.  Audience participation is a great way to fuel the discussion and engage listeners at the same time.

Introducing the "Get to Know Your Community" Fuwacast series!

The community speaks, and I listen. After many requests to give the podcast a feeling of individualism, I have begun a series featuring you, the community of Fuwanovel, in 1-on-1 interviews. Each week I will release a new episode featuring a new member from Fuwanovel. I will ask them about their lives, their hobbies, and what makes them tick. How did they come to find visual novels in the 1st place? What are some things they enjoy about the website and Japanese culture, and what are their plans for the future? Instead of focusing on me all the time, let's take a walk in some new shoes for once.

But don't think it stops there friends. Instead of just talk, take a look at our very 1st episode on my Mixcloud account featuring yours truly, Nosebleed!

http://www.mixcloud.com/OriginalRen/nosebleed

l1WObvN.jpg

Enjoy, and if you are interested in being interviewed, please let me know in a PM so I don't miss anyone!

Fuwacast Updates!

A list of updates for everyone currently wondering about the status of the podcast and what the deal is. Check them out!

1. New episode! -

Here is the 2nd episode of the "Get to Know Your Community" podcast series. I interview Mr. Meogii who shares with me his love of visual novels and what he's all about. Enjoy!

Get to Know Your Community! Episode 2 - Feat. Mr. Meogii

v1OOm8n.jpg

2. Upcoming episode mails are being worked on -

I am starting to compose the messages for episodes 8-10 respectively. If you are apart of these episodes, check your PM box tonight for all the details. I will also be messaging the 4th episode members in hopes to finally get that going as well!

3. Revamping the Mixcloud and opening posts -

As you may have seen, I have updated the OP to provide the links to each respective podcast playlist. In addition, I have also been working on editing the titles and descriptions of each episode on my Mixcloud account. I need to think of good descriptions for the "non-themed" episodes, but I should have that completed by tonight at the latest.

4. YouTube video status -

The Major and maefdomn are working hard on the YouTube video series for the podcast episodes. After seeing an exchange of PMs from them today, I am excited to see the end result.

And that's about it! Thanks for following, and keep posting suggestions or ideas if you have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuwacast Updates!

1. New episode! -

Episode 3 of the "Get to Know Your Community Podcast" is up, featuring Nayleen!

Get to Know Your Community! Episode 3 - Feat. Nayleen

ztA52OZ.png

2. Episode recordings this coming week -

The next series of episodes should be recorded next week, so look forward to a few episode releases coming very soon!

I'm pretty sure that's not how you use "yours truly", unless you're secretly Nayleen.

You're also missing some quotation marks. :P

I wasn't going to respond to this, but regarding the matter of "yours truly," you're wrong - the context means I am speaking on his behalf and am acting as him, which is acceptable, so no. Go away. The quote thing is fine, so thanks for pointing it out.

Do you even dictionary bro?

I'm pretty sure that's not how you use "yours truly", unless you're secretly Nayleen.

You're also missing some quotation marks. :P

Lol i'm pretty sure that is how "yours truly" is used. Ren did not mean it literally but rather to introduce Nayleen. XD

I've heard this on most shows. It's usually used when a guest is being introduced to the audience.

I wasn't going to respond to this, but regarding the matter of "yours truly," you're wrong - the context means I am speaking on his behalf and am acting as him, which is acceptable, so no. Go away. The quote thing is fine, so thanks for pointing it out.

Do you even dictionary bro?

So what you wanted to say was "Episode 3 of the "Get to Know your Community Podcast" is up, featuring me, Nayleen!"?

There's speaking on someone's behalf, and then there's saying you're someone else. :ph34r:

Yours truly actually refers to a submissive position. Referring to yourself as Your's (the recipient) and truly referring to the without a doubt.

Yours truly, a euphemistic alternative to the pronoun 'I' or 'me' – referring to oneself

Anyone claiming otherwise should be taking out back and be forced to carve this into a tree stump fifty times.

I do wish to point out though, you are welcome to name the podcast however you like, this just seemed to be a discussion.