Fuwanovel Podcast (Fuwacast) Official Thread

OriginalRen

Recording times for the following episodes are now set:

• Welcome to the Fuwacast! Episode 13 - Lucid9 Project
  • Welcome to the Fuwacast! Episode 14 - Violet Hill Project
  • Get to Know Your Community! Episode 8 - Feat. InvertMouse

In addition, I will be announcing the 12th episode of the podcast this weekend. If all goes according to plan, everything should be uploaded and updated by this Monday (10/20), so look forward to it!

I finally got the time to listen to episode 11, and I was disappointed with it. I expected more discussion about story structure, art quality, different styles, and technical fidelity, but that wasn't really talked about. I'm glad you guys talked about how interactiveness with mini-games have changed, but so much has been ignored.

VN's in the past had a lot more choices, some of them feeling very arbitrary. Choices now feel more impactful and less arbitrary, and there's a lot of kinetic novels nowadays, or just long stretches without choices. Compare something like IO to something like Zero Escape and you'll really see that difference.

Art Quality has improved quite a bit. Compare Tsukihime -> Mahoyo, and Kanon -> Rewrite, and the quality in art and style has improved quite a bit as these companies got bigger and VN's got more mainstream.

Styles have really changed. Compare something like Ever 17 to it's remake, or old 90's vn's like never 7 and yu-no to stuff like ef and chaos head and you'll see the huge stylistic difference. Also, VN art has gotten a lot more experimental in art, with things like Saya no Uta having it's art being a core part of the game with tons of gore, danganronpa with it's picturebook style art and steins;gate with its watercolor pixely look.

VN's nowadays have a lot more movement before, and some are even complete FMV (School Days)! To me, the big difference is in resolution and aspect ratio: we live in a world with 16:9 monitors, and newer games are higher resolution and 16:9, which is something I really appreciate and enjoy. No more black bars! I was really surprised to hear nobody talk about that.

Well, that's my thoughts about the episode, sorry about the rambling.

Freaking awesome episode! Good research Ren, can't wait to play Bermuda. And I would like to ask Invertmouse another question: What engine do you use to make your Visual Novels? I'm also interested in making visual novels, but Ren'Py seems kinda meh to me, so I wanted to know what engine you used ^_^.

And good luck with all of your projects!

Freaking awesome episode! Good research Ren, can't wait to play Bermuda. And I would like to ask Invertmouse another question: What engine do you use to make your Visual Novels? I'm also interested in making visual novels, but Ren'Py seems kinda meh to me, so I wanted to know what engine you used ^_^.

Thanks to all the groups that helped me in the podcast recently. I still have the Violet Hill project to take care of, as well as episode 12 of the podcast. For those of you wondering what the topic of that episode will be, feel free to read on!

Episode 12 - Visual Novel Exposure: Newcomers vs. Veterans

Volunteers:

• solidbatman
  • (none yet)

For this episode, I plan to discuss what being a newcomer to visual novels is like, while at the same time comparing their experiences with that of a veteran who has played a lot of VNs. Guests for this episode will be selective, as I am in need of a newcomer and veteran who has had a lot of exposure to both translated and untranslated works. If you are interested in volunteering for this podcast, please let me know. If by the end of the week I am limited in the number of volunteers, I plan to PM certain individuals in hopes they will join me on the cast.

Finally, in addition to the new Fuwacast episodes coming soon, I also have another "Get to Know Your Community" episode on the horizon, so look forward to that!

Thanks again guys, and as always, thanks for listening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The opening post has been updated with a list of new episodes I want to get started as soon as possible!

Here is a list of what I am planning for the podcast's return in 2015:

• A "Man Behind the Curtain" episode featuring another discussion with Tay about the website and its changes
  • 2 new episode ideas for the podcast, in addition to the episode which already has solidbatman as a volunteer
  • Additional "Get to Know Your Community" episodes

While most of the episode titles for the Fuwacast are pretty self-explanatory, there is 1 I will clarify a little more. In episode 14, the roundtable discussion will be a mixture of many random questions regarding your likes and dislikes about visual novels from the 2014 year. What are some translations you are looking forward to in 2015? What were some achievements that were accomplished this year for visual novels? What were some disappointments? These questions (along with more once I finalize a list of volunteers) are just some of the examples for what to expect on this episode. Maybe you want to rant about Sekai Project, or maybe you want people to be familiar with a VN that nobody knows about. This is the place to do it.

With that, see you in 2015, and start volunteering in this thread if you are interested!

Wfuj5st.png

I'm not sure if I understand well what that episode 14 is about then. Is is a retrospective on 2014 or a perspective on 2015?

If that's the latter I might be interested.

About 90% of it will be the latter, but we may pull a little bit of the former if we need some extra discussion.

How many people you have for the veterans vs newcomers episode? On that topic what is the criteria for being a newcomer or being a veteran? Is it based your experience with visual novels or your experience on the website or something else? 

How many people you have for the veterans vs newcomers episode? On that topic what is the criteria for being a newcomer or being a veteran? Is it based your experience with visual novels or your experience on the website or something else? 

VN experience. I wanted to feature someone who was familiar with translated and untranslated works, someone who plays translated games on a pretty often, and someone who is completely new to visual novels. Lots of questions can be formed around each "theme."

VN experience. I wanted to feature someone who was familiar with translated and untranslated works, someone who plays translated games on a pretty often, and someone who is completely new to visual novels. Lots of questions can be formed around each "theme."

Is one who's been playing VNs for a half of year considered new to them? I'd like to volunteer, by the way.

I'd like to be on the VN experience podcast. 日本語は悪いです。I know a bit but not enough to play untranslated VNs, but I do play a lot of translated ones so I'd say I'm pretty middle of the road in the community. I guess I've been playing them for about 2 years, is that enough to get on? Would love to be on the podcast :)