Fuwanovel Podcast (Fuwacast) Official Thread

OriginalRen

yLClben.png

Fuwacast Information

So I have finally taken the time to gather all the information from the previous podcast threads and post them in one convenient location so it's easier to find what you are looking for. All current and additional status updates regarding the Fuwanovel Podcast, as well as all future episode recordings, will be posted in this thread from now on. Most of the categories are self-explanatory, however if you have any questions feel free to post them below and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Below is a link where all current and future episodes are located.

Mixcloud Information:

Welcome to the Fuwacast! Playlist

Man Behind the Curtain Playlist

Get to Know Your Community! Playlist

Episode Downloads:

Fuwanovel Podcast Episode Downloads

Man Behind the Curtain Episode Downloads

YouTube Uploads:

Welcome to the Fuwacast! YouTube Channel Playlist

If you have any suggestions for future episode questions/topics, please post them here and I will add them to the list when I update it.

If you would like to volunteer for future episodes, please don't hesitate to PM me or post in this thread. In order to manage time during the recordings and give everyone the chance to speak, the maximum number of volunteers per episode will be 4 speakers. If you really want to be apart of an episode and all the slots are filled, we can find a way to make it work. Just let me know.

Current and Upcoming Episodes/Volunteers -

Freelance Volunteers -

If you are listed here, you are willing to assist in all future episodes of the podcast. If there is a topic you are interested in specifically as they are introduced, feel free to volunteer for it, otherwise I will use you as "filler" volunteers if we need to fill some extra slots. If you decide you want to become a freelance volunteer later on, let me know. Thanks again!

• Astro
  • Flutterz
  • MetalUpa1014
  • Mevvrynne
  • Mr. Meogii
  • Rose

And that's it! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please let me know. As we finalize times, I will start posting dates of the recording and when they will be available to listen to. Once again, thank you and I hope you enjoy the podcast.

If you choose for Hoshimemo as a topic ( I see it's a topic idea), count me in. I think there is a lot that can be discussed on that. Favorite route, route explanations, etc.

This. I'm all for this.

Right now i'm busy studying so no volunteering from me but in the future hopefully.

I forgot to mention this in the original post, but here is a look forward into some of the upcoming podcast episodes (or the ideas for them if it is at all possible). When I first took on this project, I tried to keep with Tay's original vision and follow in solidbatman's footsteps by utilizing the same question format principle. However, as time progressed and we released the very first restoration episode, I noticed that specific topics had their own appeal over picking and choosing a list of questions. As you can see in the upcoming episodes, the "topic" format is being tested. Hopefully the episodes turn out well and we can have a little bit of variety under our belt when they are all finished.

Looking forward into future episodes, I have 2 ideas that I have started to look into that will hopefully add another flavor to the mix. Instead of having Fuwanovel members volunteer for these episodes, I will be "interviewing" individuals on the topic of choice, allowing you guys to send in questions you may have for those being interviewed. Take a peek at some of the late coming (fingers crossed!) episodes:

1. Future Podcast Episode #1 - Translating VNs: What's it all about?

Special guests will include:

• Insemination (Hoshizora no Memoria)
  • Koestl (Grisaia no Kajitsu)
  • Then00bAvenger (Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo)

I have already emailed each of these translator's about joining me for an episode sometime during the summer.

2. Future Podcast Episode #2 - Creating the Perfect Novel

Special guests will include writers from Four Leaf Studios game, Katawa Shoujo:

• Aura
  • Cpl_crud
  • Suriko
  • TheHivemind (possible)

As with the 1st future episode, I have already emailed the respective individuals about joining me for an episode.

I truly hope all goes well, and the everything is done smoothly.One thing that has bugged me recently is this: In episode six, how are we gonna take a hole hour talking about authors v.s translator? while it was a very fiery topic that got a lot of attention, than main  reason it got so much replies was that people were repeating themselves(my self included) . I honestly don't know how we could make it last any more than say half an hour or so.

So...? 

I forgot to mention this in the original post, but here is a look forward into some of the upcoming podcast episodes (or the ideas for them if it is at all possible). When I first took on this project, I tried to keep with Tay's original vision and follow in Batman's footsteps by utilizing the same question format principle. However, as time progressed and we released the very first restoration episode, I noticed that specific topics had their own appeal over picking and choosing a list of questions. As you can see in the upcoming episodes, the "topic" format is being tested. Hopefully the episodes turn out well and we can have a little bit of variety under our belt when they are all finished.

Looking forward into future episodes, I have 2 ideas that I have started to look into that will hopefully add another flavor to the mix. Instead of having Fuwanovel members volunteer for these episodes, I will be "interviewing" individuals on the topic of choice, allowing you guys to send in questions you may have for those being interviewed. Take a peek at some of the late coming (fingers crossed!) episodes:

1. Future Podcast Episode #1 - Translating VNs: What's it all about?

Special guests will include:

• Insemination (Hoshizora no Memoria)
  • Koestl (Grisaia no Kajitsu)
  • Then00bAvenger (Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo)

**I have already emailed each of these translator's about joining me for an episode sometime during the summer.

2. Future Podcast Episode #2 - Creating the Perfect Novel

Special guests will include writers from Four Leaf Studios game, Katawa Shoujo:

• Aura
  • Cpl_crud
  • Suriko
  • TheHivemind (possible)

*As with the 1st future episode, I have already emailed the respective individuals about joining me for an episode.

Well now that's an incredibly good idea !

You have all my support for this !

I'd like to request a topic about the state of the OELVN industry, and what it has to do to get serious foothold in the West. For example, growing closer to the Gamebook and IF industries, modifying the style of storytelling (less bloat, different settings), focusing on Android/smartphone releases, modify the way it's presented and the types of stories told. Maybe more press coverage. More focus on novel and less on visual novel or conversely more focus on gameplay and visuals and less on novel. Renaming it 'digital gamebooks' to get them away from hentai and sex imagery? Pricing?

I believe that the future is bright for visual novels, but I don't believe it will be through translated VNs. The Walking Dead shows there's a huge audience for similar type of games, it's not a VN but it has lots of similarities. In what direction would the English development community need to take their products to expand the medium in the West. That's the topic suggestion I'd like to put forward. 

I'd like to request a topic about the state of the OELVN industry, and what it has to do to get serious foothold in the West. For example, growing closer to the Gamebook and IF industries, modifying the style of storytelling (less bloat, different settings), focusing on Android/smartphone releases, modify the way it's presented and the types of stories told. Maybe more press coverage. More focus on novel and less on visual novel or conversely more focus on gameplay and visuals and less on novel. Renaming it 'digital gamebooks' to get them away from hentai and sex imagery? Pricing?

I believe that the future is bright for visual novels, but I don't believe it will be through translated VNs. The Walking Dead shows there's a huge audience for similar type of games, it's not a VN but it has lots of similarities. In what direction would the English development community need to take their products to expand the medium in the West. That's the topic suggestion I'd like to put forward. 

Didn't PewDiePie do a run of Corpse Party recently? Even if translated, the most popular YouTube user worldwide would surely open up some sort of revenue if he actually cared to try it more often.

PS - I hate PewDiePie.

OriginalRen, I've got a problem; I went to your site but I cannot figure out how I download the podcasts. Can you tell me how I do that?  :unsure:

Also, I just wanna say that if you ever decide to have a discussion about Ever17, then I'm signing up for that episode right now, because I really want an opportunity to talk/rant/rage about the ending to that game.

By the way I've got a few suggestions for topics of discussion:

-How do we bring more fans into the VN community? (and also possibly what got you into the medium at the same time)

-What the future of visual novels going to be like? (and also possibly simultaneously if VNs hypothetically could ever go mainstream)

-Maybe chase down some western VN developers and talk about their game. For example you could get either Team11 or Love in Space to talk about the SC2VN or Sunrider.

OriginalRen, I've got a problem; I went to your site but I cannot figure out how I download the podcasts. Can you tell me how I do that?  :unsure:

Also, I just wanna say that if you ever decide to have a discussion about Ever17, then I'm signing up for that episode right now, because I really want an opportunity to talk/rant/rage about the ending to that game.

By the way I've got a few suggestions for topics of discussion:

-How do we bring more fans into the VN community? (and also possibly what got you into the medium at the same time)

-What the future of visual novels going to be like? (and also possibly simultaneously if VNs hypothetically could ever go mainstream)

-Maybe chase down some western VN developers and talk about their game. For example you could get either Team11 or Love in Space to talk about the SC2VN or Sunrider.

Unfortunately, it is necessary that the podcast episodes be uploaded to a website with no upload limits so that I be able to continue posting them. Soundcloud has limits to the amount you can upload, so I had to switch. If you are interested in having the podcast episodes, let me know!

Also, I still got it. Look at those beautiful English subjunctive examples...oh man.

Unfortunately, it is necessary that the podcast episodes be uploaded to a website with no upload limits so that I be able to continue posting them. Soundcloud has limits to the amount you can upload, so I had to switch. If you are interested in having the podcast episodes, let me know!

Also, I still got it. Look at those beautiful English subjunctive examples...oh man.

Ah, that's a shame.

Though....call me an idiot, but I'm not entirely sure what you meant with "beautiful English subjunctive examples"... 

"It is necessary to upload the podcast..."

"It is necessary that the podcast be uploaded..."

The first form is incorrect English and uses an indicative mood with an infinitive form. The latter form uses the subjunctive and is, in essence, correct, though modern English users in both British and American styles have gotten so lazy it's almost non-existent in our modern society.

The first form is incorrect English and uses an indicative mood with an infinitive form. The latter form uses the subjunctive and is, in essence, correct, though modern English users in both British and American styles have gotten so lazy it's almost non-existent in our modern society.

Oh...uh... okay. I did not even know that this was a thing.

Anyway, I just had another idea; have you thought about uploading the podcasts to youtube? It could be a good idea to put them there since it would be easier for people who are not a part of Fuwanovel to find them. Also, just in case they would accidentally disappear from one site just due to some technical problem of sorts, it would nice if we had a backup of them on another website.

It seems to me that you could also re-arrange the first one to say "Uploading the podcast is necessary."  Then it would be OK, right?  And if that's the case, I think you can also say "To upload the podcast is necessary."  But yes, "It is necessary to upload the podcast." sounds a little off (only after you called attention to it, though), and "it is necessary that the podcast be uploaded" does sound a lot better.

More importantly, it's that second "be" that I take issue with.  "So that I am able to continue posting them" sounds better to me...is that a typo or is it really correct the way you wrote it?

It seems to me that you could also re-arrange the first one to say "Uploading the podcast is necessary."  Then it would be OK, right?  And if that's the case, I think you can also say "To upload the podcast is necessary."  But yes, "It is necessary to upload the podcast." sounds a little off (only after you called attention to it, though), and "it is necessary that the podcast be uploaded" does sound a lot better.

More importantly, it's that second "be" that I take issue with.  "So that I am able to continue posting them" sounds better to me...is that a typo or is it really correct the way you wrote it?

It does sound better the other way, but technically speaking, that is correct yes. Modal verbs (can, could, should, would, shall, will, etc.) don't have a different verb conjugation when put into the subjunctive mood, however "can" is changed to "be able to" to distinguish the marking of the mood change respectively. "Can" as a modal is the only exception however.

"...so that I "can/am able to" continue posting them." vs. "...so that I be able to continue posting them." - an example showing the "can" change.

"...so that I "could/should/would" continue posting them." - this form stays the same in both the indicative and subjunctive mood.

Certain proceeding phrases take the subjunctive in English (same with Italian, but not always in French depending on the subject) such as "so that" and "in order that." Expressions of fear, doubt, opinion, necessity, etc. also take the subjunctive:

"It is necessary that we be ready for the worst."

Still, you aren't wrong. This is a lot of old English, and since the meanings sound so awkward now either is correct, however the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (pg. 1,000) lists "so that" as one of the two purposive prepositions (along with "in order that") that can take the subjunctive, although this is not common. In American English the subjunctive mood is used so much less than in British English, so it's a two-sided coin. No English speaker in their right mind, myself included, is going to mark their students down for making this mistake, because that is just stupid.

It does sound better the other way, but technically speaking, that is correct yes. Modal verbs (can, could, should, would, shall, will, etc.) don't have a different verb conjugation when put into the subjunctive mood, however "can" is changed to "be able to" to distinguish the marking of the mood change respectively. "Can" as a modal is the only exception however.

"...so that I "can/am able to" continue posting them." vs. "...so that I be able to continue posting them." - an example showing the "can" change.

"...so that I "could/should/would" continue posting them." - this form stays the same in both the indicative and subjunctive mood.

Certain proceeding phrases take the subjunctive in English (same with Italian, but not always in French depending on the subject) such as "so that" and "in order that." Expressions of fear, doubt, opinion, necessity, etc. also take the subjunctive:

"It is necessary that we be ready for the worst."

Still, you aren't wrong. This is a lot of old English, and since the meanings sound so awkward now either is correct, however the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (pg. 1,000) lists "so that" as one of the two purposive prepositions (along with "in order that") that can take the subjunctive, although this is not common. In American English the subjunctive mood is used so much less than in British English, so it's a two-sided coin. No English speaker in their right mind, myself included, is going to mark my students down for making this mistake, because that is just stupid.

I see...

Hmm, Cambridge Grammar of the English Language...  I ought to take a look at that one.  I hope it lists the differences between American and British English.

By the way, I caught you! ;)   That last sentence should be "No English speaker in his right mind, myself included, is going to mark his students down for making this mistake, because that is just stupid."

In particular, it doesn't make sense for any other English speaker to mark down your students. ^_^