Pet Peeves in VNs

Clephas

1) When a heroine being a tsundere is used as a get out of jail free card for constant douchebaggery (curse you Love Hina for making that popular!! :angry: )

2) When the title part of "pervert protagonist" is run into the ground.

3) True endings that flat out retcon or completely ignore the other routes (only applies to games where the routes are supposed to be their own stories, not games where the routes are meant to be false or a piece of a story puzzle like with the Infinity or Zero Escape series)

I add one:

A group of guys that always act tough (sometimes with weapons) and threaten to beat up a heroine or the protagonist. I just don't feel there are that many groups of guys roaming around Japan looking to pick fights in public areas.

I feel like this is more of a cliche rather than a pet peeve but i'll admit it is rather annoying. Thankfully it's usually just one/two scenes at most and of short duration.

Unless it leads to rape. Then just no.

I should have added that i hate any sort of rape/forced sex .

Grinding RPGs isn't so bad if you multitask. I can watch tv or listen to music wile diving through the item world in disgaea for example.

Revealing plot points within opening videos is another one of mine. I normally don't watch an opening video until I'm well into the game so I don't spoil something.

Uninteresting filler dialogue that neither shows us something new about the characters nor advances the plot--like random battles in RPGs that you have to grind through to get to the good stuff.  Too much of this and I'll drop the game.

I have to say that this one highly depends on the quality of writing for me(although I suppose good writing removes the "uninteresting" part of the complaint).  For example, Grisaia no Kajitsu has quite a few slice of life scenes that don't really do much for the plot even after the characters have been well established, but I still enjoy them because each scene usually has it's own self-contained theme, often leading into a rather amusing broken aesop.

And I guess that leads into my big pet peeve.  I can roll with almost anything in a VN(even if it isn't to my taste) except for boring writing.  That's why I'm still having trouble with Muv-Luv Extra.  Either the writing was bad, or something was lost in translation, but that VN really does remind me of my time spent grinding levels in EverQuest.

Personally, I really loved G-Senjou no Maou's layout, I wish there were more VNs like that.

My pet peeves would be:

-Games that have an interesting premise but turn out to be just nukige in disguise (I'm looking at you, Yandere).
-Games that are boring and tedious but have sequels that are amazing so you have to play them (I'm pretty sure everyone on here should be able to tell what game I'm talking about here).
-Sex scenes. Yes, I know that they're a big part of VNs, but I hate them (I do have some exceptions though, for example Saya no Uta did a great job of integrating its H-content into the story).
-Moeblob and cookie cutter characters.
-Games with slice-of-life scenes that are boring and plentiful (cough*Key*cough).
-Info dumps.
-Boring BGMs. BGMs are actually a huge part of VNs for me, I often listen to my favorite BGM songs after playing VNs, and beautiful BGM music has actually made me cry during parts of VNs I wouldn't normally have cried at. I think music is a great way to strengthen emotion in visual novels.

And of course, my biggest pet peeve of all:

-When a game isn't Saya no Uta

Yet another:

I get h-scenes, like I really do in some respects, but what I don't understand is the formula used in them. Every single one is the exact same in how it plays out, or is simply a variant of another one used before. Call me crazy, but if a girl ever stated to me the exact details that were occurring during sex and telling me what was happening at the given time by stating the obvious, I would get up and leave. I don't think I need to be told what is happening, as I am able to see/feel these things for myself thank you very much.

You know what I'm talking about...

Nukige... although I'm not sure if "pet peeve" is the right term to use for this one.

Spoilerish/revealing OPs. Very annoying, because some OPs can be awesome sounding and looking... but then they also turn out to have too many revelations in them. :/ (example: Umineko PS3 OPs)

Protagonists/characters that are like Makoto from School Days. :D Well, the same goes for the majority (not all) of the other characters in School Days too.

Too many slice of life/comedy scenes in a row (Unless the VN is meant to only have that stuff). Yes I know, they are very necessary for many different kinds of VNs. And I enjoy those scenes a lot. But I don't like it when there are too many of them in a row. (Grisaia's common route was too long in my opinion, despite the fact that it was really funny at several points)

That's about it.

High whiny voices. Baby voices. High whiny baby voices. High whiny baby voices during H-scenes.

But... but... but...

Yet another:

I get H-scenes, like I really do in some respects, but what I don't understand is the formula used in them. Every single one is the exact same in how it plays out, or is simply a variant of another one used before. Call me crazy, but if a girl ever stated to me the exact details that were occurring during sex and telling me what was happening at the given time by stating the obvious, I would get up and leave. I don't think I need to be told what is happening, as I am able to see/feel these things for myself thank you very much.

You know what I'm talking about...

When the only thing you have is an static image and voices, they gotta try to spark your imagination somehow haha.I agree that sometimes it is annoying but the real trick is how she phrases it, since sometimes a description of what is happening can be very kinky and arousing.

Imagine the girl and you are embracing and she starts whispering into your ear how she feels and all kind of obscenities while you penetrate her. Don't tell me that wouldn't arouse you.

:wub:

blame the writer if it becomes annoying. Though sometimes, it can be the voice acting *coughErogecough*

1. retarded, shy, too cool unrealistic protagonist. 

2. retarded, shy, annoying characters.

3. younger sister and incest overall

4. lolis

5. nukige.

6. stupid plot.

7. chuuni shit

8. too much fanservice

9. voice acting in h scenes. it is so unrealistic and lame, that the only thing i can do is press and hold ctrl.

i don't like 95% vns. or even more.

1. retarded, shy, too cool unrealistic protagonist. 

2. retarded, shy, annoying characters.

3. younger sister and incest overall

4. lolis

5. nukige.

6. stupid plot.

7. chuuni shit

8. too much fanservice

9. voice acting in h scenes. it is so unrealistic and lame, that the only thing i can do is press and hold ctrl.

i don't like 95% vns. or even more.

I don't think I could be a fan of something, 95% of which I hate. ._.

But... but... but...

When the only thing you have is an static image and voices, they gotta try to spark your imagination somehow haha.I agree that sometimes it is annoying but the real trick is how she phrases it, since sometimes a description of what is happening can be very kinky and arousing.

Imagine the girl and you are embracing and she starts whispering into your ear how she feels and all kind of obscenities while you penetrate her. Don't tell me that wouldn't arouse you.

:wub:

blame the writer if it becomes annoying. Though sometimes, it can be the voice acting *coughErogecough*

Why not spice things up a bit in an h-scene and use inner monologues for both parties? Switch PoVs with the protagonist and enter the thoughts of the heroine. You can still utilize the same style to describe the scene, but I will feel it would be more realistic considering I am reading the thoughts of both parties. It's interesting because you can relate to both sides. Just a thought.

Why not spice things up a bit in an H-scene and use inner monologues for both parties? Switch PoVs with the protagonist and enter the thoughts of the heroine. You can still utilize the same style to describe the scene, but I will feel it would be more realistic considering I am reading the thoughts of both parties. It's interesting because you can relate to both sides. Just a thought.

Now we are talking.

Multiple main protagonists (dropped Ef and Ever 17 thanks to that; not that they are bad, they're not bad at all, I just couldn't get into them).
Weak main character (the one that tends to be abused by everyone in the game for comical relief, like the one from Ikikoi for example. If they become dependable for more than one scene, then I can reconsider it).
Jerk main character/heroine/sub-character that it's relevant to the story.
Over the top tsundere (that stays tsun until the very end and shows almost no dere at all).
Even if the main character is strong, being looked down is another thing I dislike.
Most himedere, as they tend to look down on anything ^.
Running gags involving horrible puns or weak jokes.
Airhead heroines.
Love triangles/squares/an entire school/etc.
Donkan protagonist/heroine.
Deaths/rape/gangbang/NTR/etc.
Bad endings.

I can't think of anything more at the moment, but I'm sure there are more things.

I have a few idiosynchrocies about the system fo a VN that impedes the experience, I guess:

• I can't find out how to auto-read.
  • The space bar doesn't advance the text.
  • I find it especially hard to play games where I don't understand any of the attraction to the MC, especially with games aimed at guys. If I don't understand why he has a harem, it's very hard to follow the adventures of said harem. However, reasons could possibly be as shallow as having an MC with an appealing design
  • Eyeless protags. Come on, guys.
  • Characters that kind of act like flipping a switch: a girl that's really genki or super depressed without gradual development, or someone who's tsun one moment dere the next

I'm certain there are more, but just these for now...