What visual novel do you think is underrated?

ratboi

this is an interesting topic to me. The first VN I ever read is very underrated in my opinion

its called homeward: https://vndb.org/v7536

Its by the people who made the sunrider games. Honestly its amazing and tells an amazing heart warming story.

There are so many VNs I think are underrated. I think homeward is the most underrated VN ever. But I want to know what you guys think is the most underrated VN

True Rememberance. Back then when it got released, it became quite popular for a while, but community was much, much more smaller as well. Nowadays you even rarely see it mentioned, despite being one of the best doujin vn's ever released, storywise.

1 hour ago, ratboi said:

Not by 'people', but solely by Sunrider's lead creator, Samu-kun. Homeward is cliched and very mediocre, doesn't aim to be anything spectacular either; a 100% amateur work. It's charm comes mostly from the fact it was made by one guy, that wanted to create vn's, but didn't have any skills whatsoever. So he sat down, began to practice drawing, writing, programming and in time, finally finished the game. It's something worth praising.

Elf´s Be-Yond because of its incredibly awesome cast, hillariously crazy setting & still cool looking visuals. regrettably the vast majority of people wont try it out for themselves for completely nonsensual reasons, such as "muhh that one is from the stone age" or "it´s no YU-NO so it must be shit". just hang yourself!

鴨mile´s Kagerou, because it´ s one of those stories that felt the most human to me from the way it tackled some rather darn serious topics and themes, continuously played with hopes and fears plus seriously managed to touch its readers heart directly. honestly kagerou is a hidden gem for everyone that is openminded enough to not discriminate against an unvoiced little doujin, willing to spend a tiny amount of money on supporting its devs for not (thank the gods) being available through illegal downloads (as of yet).

Kimihane. It's one of the best yuriges I have ever played. It's not like, hated or anything, I guess people just don't really know about it.

The ending is fantastic, and the routes are all very enjoyable and adorable.

Also, XX of the dead. It's a bit bizzare, and it is a nukige so it won't be appealing to too many people at first glance, but damn, it's actually really good. Very enjoyable. I'm surprised that basically no one knows about it. (Play it! :pyaa: All praise the tentacles! :miyako: )

Koi iro Chu! Lips. The art is bad and the translation (or possibly worse; the writing) forces includes internet slang like "lol", "trolled" and "omg". The plot wasn't a masterpiece either, but for some reason, I just found it really funny at times. 

Especially the thing with two of the characters narrating a summary of each chapter from the booth. That was great and I wish a better VN would've used it :Kappa:

What I'm trying to say is; The VN looks like the most terrible thing ever, but turns out to be mediocre, with a good gag every now and then. Also, I kind of liked the setting, I guess.

I also think that Konosora gets a little too much shit because of the awful translation, because it's actually a well crafted setting and not badly written at all. Just badly translated.

3 hours ago, ratboi said:

this is an interesting topic to me. The first VN I ever read is very underrated in my opinion

Its by the people who made the sunrider games. Honestly its amazing and tells an amazing heart warming story.

There are so many VNs I think are underrated. I think homeward is the most underrated VN ever. But I want to know what you guys think is the most underrated VN

Homeward rating is decent which I wouldn't say is that bad.

3 hours ago, Narcosis said:

True Rememberance. Back then when it got released, it became quite popular for a while, but community was much, much more smaller as well. Nowadays you even rarely see it mentioned, despite being one of the best doujin vn's ever released, storywise.

Not by 'people', but solely by Sunrider's lead creator, Samu-kun. Homeward is cliched and very mediocre, doesn't aim to be anything spectacular either; a 100% amateur work. It's charm comes mostly from the fact it was made by one guy, that wanted to create vn's, but didn't have any skills whatsoever. So he sat down, began to practice drawing, writing, programming and in time, finally finished the game. It's something worth praising.

Well its in my top 10 VNs :/ but as the saying goes "each to their own"

48 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

Koi iro Chu! Lips. The art is bad and the translation (or possibly worse; the writing) forces includes internet slang like "lol", "trolled" and "omg". The plot wasn't a masterpiece either, but for some reason, I just found it really funny at times. 

Especially the thing with two of the characters narrating a summary of each chapter from the booth. That was great and I wish a better VN would've used it :Kappa:

What I'm trying to say is; The VN looks like the most terrible thing ever, but turns out to be mediocre, with a good gag every now and then. Also, I kind of liked the setting, I guess.

I also think that Konosora gets a little too much shit because of the awful translation, because it's actually a well crafted setting and not badly written at all. Just badly translated.

konosora= my favorite VN of all time xD

Remember11 is criminally underrated. Ever17 (its indirect precedessor) is far more popular, but Remember11 does practically everything it tries better than Ever17 save for the ending and even that is debatable. Atmosphere, pacing, characters, plot- R11 is just better at everything and I say this as someone who has both VNs in his top 5 VNs of all time. 

edit: There's also the fact that Remember11 is exceptionally devoid of romance for a VN while Ever17's mostly reliant on heroine-based routes to progress the story. I'm not saying romance is an inherently bad thing -hell, Ever17's Sora route is probably my favorite arc in any VN and definitely my favorite romance in anything- but I think it contributed to Ever17's popularity. 

6 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Remember11 is criminally underrated. Ever17 (its indirect precedessor) is far more popular, but Remember11 does practically everything it tries better than Ever17 save for the ending and even that is debatable. Atmosphere, pacing, characters, plot- R11 is just better at everything and I say this as someone who has both VNs in his top 5 VNs of all time. 

I agree, and I will also mention Chaos;Head, as susal, it's a misunderstood masterpice.

On 7/6/2016 at 10:05 AM, Funyarinpa said:

edit: There's also the fact that Remember11 is exceptionally devoid of romance for a VN while Ever17's mostly reliant on heroine-based routes to progress the story. I'm not saying romance is an inherently bad thing -hell, Ever17's Sora route is probably my favorite arc in any VN and definitely my favorite romance in anything- but I think it contributed to Ever17's popularity. 

I can't agree with you with either of those points. Remember11 just didn't do it for me. I liked it a LOT less than Ever17, though it has been a while so I might need to replay it to give it a proper rating. Also, I thought Sora's arc was good, but Tsugumi's involvement in it just came off weird to me. Tsugumi's route ended up being one of my favorite routes for romance, too. Maybe we just have opposing tastes, though. 

On 7/6/2016 at 10:21 AM, CeruleanGamer said:

Oyako Rankan: https://vndb.org/v10732

"OMG, it has NTR, it must be a shitty game". Probably heard that trash like 50 times by now. It's actually pretty fun gameplay and requires planning so you can prevent your waifus from getting NTR'ed. 

Wait. I can prevent my waifus from getting NTR'd? Because I absolutely despise NTR, but if it could be used as incentive to do well, I could see myself enjoying the game. Unless I fail, kinda like Beelzebubs in MGQ, except (hopefully) less flies. 

2 hours ago, FamishedPants said:

Wait. I can prevent my waifus from getting NTR'd? Because I absolutely despise NTR, but if it could be used as incentive to do well, I could see myself enjoying the game. Unless I fail, kinda like Beelzebubs in MGQ, except (hopefully) less flies. 

Yup. You can get a harem ending if you manage to "defend" them from the NTRers. Although it's tough because if you are trying to protect 1 girl, the others become somewhat more vulnerable.

3 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Yup. You can get a harem ending if you manage to "defend" them from the NTRers. Although it's tough because if you are trying to protect 1 girl, the others become somewhat more vulnerable.

Picked the fuck up, it's time to tip the scales. Here's how it's done. etc.