ChuSinGura 46+1 Kickstarter comes out of nowhere (with added Engrish and sketchyness)

Zenophilious

I'd translate ChuSinGura if someone like MG got it, but I'm not sure if I'd want to work with these guys, or if they'd even hire me (they already seem to have three "translators").
I wonder if this license will be stuck in some never-ending kickstarter limbo now.

3 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Ehh, if they relaunch and it actually looks promising (well-written pitch, reasonable monetary target, ideally some sample translation shots that actually look good), I'll probably kick it. They haven't botched an actual translation project yet, just Kickstarters; it's hardly an unforgiveable crime.

If a company is not very reputable, it's hard to justify giving them money, at least for me.

Sure, you can say companies like Mikandi Japan, who popped up out of nowhere, also had no previous reputation built up, but they clearly did a wonderful PR job and made themselves trustworthy at the very least. On the other hand, this entity has only made failed project after failed project. They're also not a translation company but a mobile port company, which makes me, and I'm going to guess most people, question their legitimacy in all kinds of ways.

They could very well have good intentions and want to translate this game, but with bad PR like this, how can you bring yourself to trust them with your hard earned money?

I'll check out their future Kickstarter just to see how they improved, but for now and the foreseeable future this company has tainted their reputation pretty badly.

6 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Ehh, if they relaunch and it actually looks promising (well-written pitch, reasonable monetary target, ideally some sample translation shots that actually look good), I'll probably kick it. They haven't botched an actual translation project yet, just Kickstarters; it's hardly an unforgiveable crime.

They currently have no translated pics and their PR is awful. I don't see why anybody should give them money until they fix their multiple issues.

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

If a company is not very reputable, it's hard to justify giving them money, at least for me.

Sure, you can say companies like Mikandi Japan, who popped up out of nowhere, also had no previous reputation built up, but they clearly did a wonderful PR job and made themselves trustworthy at the very least. On the other hand, this entity has only made failed project after failed project. They're also not a translation company but a mobile port company, which makes me, and I'm going to guess most people, question their legitimacy in all kinds of ways.

They could very well have good intentions and want to translate this game, but with bad PR like this, how can you bring yourself to trust them with your hard earned money?

I'll check out their future Kickstarter just to see how they improved, but for now and the foreseeable future this company has tainted their reputation pretty badly.

It's just a little too harsh a perspective for me. If the relaunched KS actually does look promising and is handled well, then why not back this one instead of waiting for a hypothetical future one that demonstrates the same qualities? I see no reason to wait for them to do a future project - if they've learned and are trying, then it would be the right time.

Important thing to keep in mind: I'm actually interested in the game. Hypothetical future project, maybe not so interested.

Just now, VirginSmasher said:

They currently have no translated pics and their PR is awful. I don't see why anybody should give them money until they fix their multiple issues.

I agree. That's why I prefaced what I said with "if they relaunch and it actually looks promising (well-written pitch, reasonable monetary target, ideally some sample translation shots that actually look good), ...". Nobody's advocating supporting them with the way things are now. However, given that they pulled the project with the intent to relaunch, they've clearly learned something. For me, it's mostly a question of whether they've learned enough.

People screw up, and quite a lot. If you don't forgive others' mistakes, especially when remorse over and learning from those mistakes are demonstrated, get ready to be really salty for most of your life.

9 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

It's just a little too harsh a perspective for me. If the relaunched KS actually does look promising and is handled well, then why not back this one instead of waiting for a hypothetical future one that demonstrates the same qualities? I see no reason to wait for them to do a future project - if they've learned and are trying, then it would be the right time.

Important thing to keep in mind: I'm actually interested in the game. Hypothetical future project, maybe not so interested.

I agree. That's why I prefaced what I said with "if they relaunch and it actually looks promising (well-written pitch, reasonable monetary target, ideally some sample translation shots that actually look good), ...". Nobody's advocating supporting them with the way things are now. However, given that they pulled the project with the intent to relaunch, they've clearly learned something. For me, it's mostly a question of whether they've learned enough.

People screw up, and quite a lot. If you don't forgive others' mistakes, especially when remorse over and learning from those mistakes are demonstrated, get ready to be really salty for most of your life.

I never felt that this Kickstarter was a scam. I think it needs more proof that translation is happening and that PR will get better. I still think the original amount was too much for a VN without a significant fanbase. The one thing I won't ever like about the Kickstarter is currently they have no plans to release an uncensored version and that fact alone will keep me from backing it.

"First of all, thanks to everyone who pledged and viewed our Kickstarter. Since launch, we have received outside funds, and as such, we have decided to relaunch with expanded reward tiers and a changed Kickstarter amount." Looks like they are trying again?

• Eclipsed changed the title to ChuSinGura 46 1 Kickstarter comes out of nowhere (with added Engrish and sketchyness)

Was away for a whole, and then from the title I thought this was a kickstarter for a new game from the actual devs, but no, RIP. That page is laggy fuck for me too, ugh.

The original Japanese version is fucking amazing though. Never seen a VN paced so well, to be that long without actually getting boring. There's almost always story development going on in some form. One of very few VNs I didn't get bored with. I wasn't expecting to be too interested in the age its set, and wasn't expecting much from the looks of it, but it turned out to be fantastic. How it ties into reality is really well-done too. If it gets more people reading it, that's a good thing.

About the censoring though; there's almost no 18+ content in the whole thing. As I recall there's only 1 sex scene in each of the 5 chapters, and they're pretty long routes. There is some rare occasional nudity when the protag is with his younger sisters, which only happens at the start of every chapter (bar 1). That could be censored without much loss, and the sex scenes could really be removed entirely and you wouldn't lose very much at all. It feels like they were just put in for the sake of it, like they felt it needed it, when it really didn't. So on that front, you don't really need to worry. If you wanted the game for the sex, don't bother, there's almost nothing there to see to begin with. This is an actual story-driven VN, not a game focused on sex. (but has weird shit like this NSFW : http://i.imgur.com/vmcP9en.jpg)

Edited by Nayleen
NSFW as links, please

8 hours ago, Kelebek1 said:

About the censoring though...

more concerned about them possibly planning to remove/redo/whatsoever every traces of graphical violence in the process, to non offend anyone steam-wise. true, from an economical point of view its somewhat understandable when trying to appeal to a maximized audience, but to me chusingura only managed to work as awhole in all its  violent & quite humourous glory. of course the same (if not more) goes for bushi no kudou, if they ever might think about doing it after said projects possible(?) completion.
as much as i´d love seeing those 2 titles getting an english release, those fearsome moenovelish vibes i´m somehow getting from them, are what frighten me the most. last thing this awesome tale of honour & comradeship, taking place in the genroku era, needs is any form of whitewashing, btw attempts of overly smoothening out its content , which not even the 17+ version dared to do. sure, you wont get to fukk shimpachi + followup moments of serenity, but the rest still manages to be taken seriously, btw doesnt feel like a comedic attempt at all.

in a sense the (shown) bloodshed is essential for underlining the settings much needed credibility, btw greatly caters towards having much dept to it, which, if decided on a removal, might end up the other way round like in most of todays works whenever the act of rape is beeing portrayed as sth women start enjoying at one point aka it becomes meaningless.

edit. going by their ks campaigns pretty fluffy & cutely worded description, i´m not that sure about in which direction it´s planning to head, unless some sort of evidence comes up regarding at whom it´s primarily aimed at on steam, either those seemingly omnipresent 16y old french chicks XD, or grown up adults, btw. individuals capable of comprehending/enjoying this novels plot as it´s been originally intented to.

Well when has America ever cared about seeing violence? I don't really think that'll be any issue, so much so that I didn't think about it. I assume just getting on Steam is the point,, how it's rated makes no difference. They can get on there with excessive violence (which it doesn't even have anywhere close to, just a few scenes in a long story), but they won't get on there with graphic sex, especially the nudity of the kids.

to me personally even those few scenes mattered much, and by excessive violence i didnt really mean it like that, simply compared to the majority of other localised vns, btw anime in general, which are mostly pretty tame visualwise. as for censoring and westeners who dont care, true, but the same goes for moenovel censoring anything that looked even slightly ecchi, or sounded said way, wasnt neccessary, but happened regardless in an attempt to maximize their target audience. (..french teenage girls...)

4 minutes ago, Kelebek1 said:

Well when has America ever cared about seeing violence? I don't really think that'll be any issue, so much so that I didn't think about it. I assume just getting on Steam is the point,, how it's rated makes no difference. They can get on there with excessive violence (which it doesn't even have anywhere close to, just a few scenes in a long story), but they won't get on there with graphic sex, especially the nudity of the kids.

Au contraire.  Remember Moenovel?  If they're aiming for a certain audience, it's quite possible that they'll do extra, unneeded cuts.  We know nothing about what audience they're aiming for, but calling it a "moe samurai game" doesn't really bode well, IMO.

I also don't really care if the h-scenes are unneeded, I want the content of the original Japanese release.  There's a reason I downloaded the old Himawari even though I plan on buying MG's all-ages version.  I hate censorship on principle.

moe samurai girls for a whole familly!

Sit tightly on the sofa with your brother/mother/son/wife and read some awesome moe moe looking pretty girls in sketchy outfits!

/\ They should advertise it like that, oops my bad, they don't know what advertising is :P

I think xreaper's time in germany has skewed his perspective on the public acceptance of violence. Because I really don't think people care about violence for steam releases even a little. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't butcher the release like Moenovel did, but I don't think that should be the default assumption. I hope that for their second kickstarter attempt they market the game on its actual merits instead of making it look like some ridiculous romantic comedy. 

1 hour ago, Decay said:

I think xreaper's time in germany has skewed his perspective on the public acceptance of violence. Because I really don't think people care about violence for steam releases even a little. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't butcher the release like Moenovel did, but I don't think that should be the default assumption. I hope that for their second kickstarter attempt they market the game on its actual merits instead of making it look like some ridiculous romantic comedy. 

I'm hoping for a different company to release a Kickstarter on the second attempt instead of the current one, but I know it's not happening.

• 4 weeks later...