Console/Handheld Reception for Visual Novels

kyrt

Console/Handheld Poll for VNs  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform would you first purchase visual novels on if not PC?

2. 2. Would you re-purchase a visual novel on handheld/console that you already bought on PC?

This poll is closed to new votes

With the supposedly upcoming releases of Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass, and Eiyuu Senki on multiple platforms I figured I'd ask what people actually think about this topic. We already know that console and handheld visual novels are popular and marketable in Japan but is there a decent market for it outside of Japan? We've seen a number of visual novels release outside of the PC market to varying degrees of success or failure.

Phoenix Wright series DS and 3DS (digital only) - sold very well

9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors DS

Virtue's Last Reward DS and Vita

Ar Tonelico PS2

Dangan Ronpa - Vita

Xblaze - PS3 and Vita

Tears to Tiara 2 (gameplay game) - PS3

Xblaze lost memories - PS3

These are just a few of the games and you'll note a common figure that primarily they tend to sell on handhelds or occasionally manage to sell acceptably on the PS3 if the game in question contains some sort of gameplay beyond the usual visual novel mechanics. The sales figures for these games are often hard to find as niche games tend to get overlooked

Steins;Gate already being released makes it highly likely that the sales for the PS3/Vita version are not going to sell well at all. I could be wrong and they may be capable of tapping into the console/handheld market for this game on name popularity alone but a lot of PS3 owners moved onto the PS4. I imagine the Vita version may sell decently but probably nowhere near as much as the PC version.

Eiyuu Senki has some gameplay...gameplay which I'm not sure how well it will play on console. It looks like a PC game so unless the UI is brilliant I do not see this one going over well with fans who purchase it. Fruitbat Factory is also not really known for creating console games and the version they are using is the censored/cut version of the game which is likely going to negatively effect sales as well. Like Steins;Gate and the next one this is being handled by 5pb.

The third game that 5pb just announced a license for is Psycho-Pass...as an Xbox One exclusive. Unfortunately while I myself may have liked the anime the series is generally not very popular outside of Japan which is likely going to hurt the sales for this. It's also on Xbox One and in an age where people generally only have one console and Microsoft has no handhelds people fond of japanese games tend to pick up a PS4 over an Xbox One...that can of course change but I don't see too many people rushing out to buy an Xbox One for the Psycho-Pass exclusive.

I also purposely left out iphones, ipads, from this discussion and the poll for reasons of them not being console or handhelds.

What do other people think about this are visual novels going to be able to find a market on consoles/handhelds outside of PC or is this going to be an area visual novels will be incapable of penetrating in a big way?

I always see consoles as something you play with friends or family and considering I always play Visual Novels in private, not too interested in that.

As for handhelds, I am currently playing Katawa Shoujo again on Android, it should count as a handheld device...

If I had a Vita I probably would buy VNs for it, it would work for handheld platforms. I just can't see myself reading a visual novel on a TV..

Out of all the consoles, I can only see Vita doing well with VNs. Reading VNs on home consoles sounds pretty awkward, I can only see VNs nearing the JRPG/SRPG territory doing okay. And I don't know if there's enough interest for them. 

Vita on the other hand is already pretty much JRPG/anime lovers console, and visual novels are not too far from that audience. Gameplay titles like Danganronpa, Corpse Party and such have done well enough that VNs like those are steadily published on the system, and even "pure" VNs are getting more and more exposure as well. Mostly Otome-games at the moment, but Steins;Gate and possibly upcoming Grisaia are good signs. 

Vita is also a treasure trove for all-ages titles and ports, so there's plenty of potential material to bring over. 

The vita is made for visual novels a huge 940 x 544 resolution screen and touchscreen along with button inputs.

Not to mention the quality of colours is amazing. So yes more visual novels on vita.

But I think 30 pounds is maybe to much.

What do other people think about this are visual novels going to be able to find a market on consoles/handhelds outside of PC or is this going to be an area visual novels will be incapable of penetrating in a big way?

I believe it has already "penetrated". Danganronpa alone with its over 200k sales has given vns more publicity in the west than any pc-localization ever. VLR has sold great and PQube/RD are all rainbows and flowers about how S;G is, well, nearly not failing. It would be really interesting to see real comparable numbers with the JAST release after that US launch in august. It's just that fuwa is an extremely pc-oriented community so it may not be that obvious to most.

I would pick the Vita over everything else. I don't see the difference between consoles when it comes to VN's other then I'll have different ways to press the A/X button.

The vita on the other hand is portable and has a gorgeous OLED screen (if you have a fat one that is). Also trophies are kind of nice.

I'd have to vote for a console/PC, if I had a choice. My only real problem with Vita - and other such handhelds - is some people (like me) lack the eyesight to use the smaller devices - and it's extremely frustrating to miss out on a game just because of the device it was ported to.

But that is also kind of selfish wish, there are those with far more hindering disabilities than blindness, that can't even use a console/pc - so trying to find a middle ground ain't so easy I guess. In the end, businesses can really only market to the majority if they want to prosper.

Should there ever come a day when console/handheld VNs have adult content, then I would be interested. Until that day it's a no go for me. I started reading Rewrite over a year ago and managed to get through a route. It took me over 6 months and absolute boredom to get me through another route. I still have no motivation to go read another route. I need a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

• 4 weeks later...

I fuckin' LOVE the Vita, so it's usually my platform of choice for whatever I'm buying (and I have a pretty good laptop). If I were fluent in Japanese, things would be glorious. 

I'd pick Vita over PC, in other words. I wish the Infinity series' PSP versions as well as the Root Double port would be localized and put on Vita (Infinity could have a physical compilation, even).

I don't have the money, but I do plan on eventually buying some VN's for my Vita as well.

I fuckin' LOVE the Vita, so it's usually my platform of choice for whatever I'm buying (and I have a pretty good laptop). If I were fluent in Japanese, things would be glorious. 

I'd pick Vita over PC, in other words. I wish the Infinity series' PSP versions as well as the Root Double port would be localized and put on Vita (Infinity could have a physical compilation, even).

I don't have the money, but I do plan on eventually buying some VN's for my Vita as well.

Ehm... Infinity series... localized... I actually know how to localize (adapt PC script) them and have all needed tools, but no one really interested.

And yes, I would prefer handheld device over PC, as I never play on console (seems ridiculous for me to play it on big screen), even if i could (actually probably it is possible to play some ports on Xbox360, but they are in japanese anyway). Also I usually play VNs in the night before sleep, so obv my choice is tablet or other handheld like PSP/3DS/Vita.

I voted for 3DS for the other platform to use besides PC, but even so, I'm pretty solidly a PC man for VNs.  Only really said that because I'm slightly willing to buy 3DS-only VNs, and the 3DS is the only handheld I own.  Definitely not going to buy a Vita just for a few VNs, since I'm not swimming in a pool of money at the moment.

As for repurchasing...I don't plan to, pretty much ever.  Don't really see a point, honestly, even if they have slight version differences like Grisaia no Kajitsu's original release and its Vita release.  Just not worth the money to buy what's essentially the same thing twice.

hmmm i guess i would buy them for my phone and nothing more i mean what's the advantage of buying it on a console anyways? just hook up the pc to the tv, get a wireless mouse and you're basically set, i can see the use for it on a handheld console or a phon since you can play them on the go tho if i played a lolichious nukige on the buss that would probably be weird and i would get a lot of uncomfortable stares but whatever :lol:

pc master race master ftw

I chose the Vita because I don't like the policy for digital content that Nintendo uses... and regular consoles just don't work for me when it comes to VNs... no selection.

The answer for the second question is a resounding no.  Since Zeno used Grisaia as an example, I will as well.  I already spent $246.32 getting the entire series (including a purchase of the English version of the original on Steam).  I'm not about to shell out more just because a portable version is available. 

I always see consoles as something you play with friends or family and considering I always play Visual Novels in private, not too interested in that.

As for handhelds, I am currently playing Katawa Shoujo again on Android, it should count as a handheld device...

If I had a Vita I probably would buy VNs for it, it would work for handheld platforms. I just can't see myself reading a visual novel on a TV..

How long did it take to get a VN working on Android? I want to play Ever 17 but don't want to spend more than an hour configuring (Got a big backlog of games to play including Persona 4: Golden which are already eating all my time.)

I'd buy VN's on Vita if they where cheaper, 30 pounds is just too much for a VN imo.

How long did it take to get a VN working on Android? I want to play Ever 17 but don't want to spend more than an hour configuring (Got a big backlog of games to play including Persona 4: Golden which are already eating all my time.)

I'd buy VN's on Vita if they where cheaper, 30 pounds is just too much for a VN imo.

Katawa Shoujo was a native Android APK that just required placing a obb file somewhere, so about 5 minutes. I haven't tried others yet but I can't imagine it'd take more than 15 minutes.

Katawa Shoujo was a native Android APK that just required placing a obb file somewhere, so about 5 minutes. I haven't tried others yet but I can't imagine it'd take more than 15 minutes.

I'll get round to it eventually when I go into full weeb mode.

I'm busy modding Doom II atm.

Because relatively few VNs have IOS or android versions?  Not only that, but the ones that do are ones that already have pc versions, thus making the operating system pointless, since it is easier to play and get Japanese VNs on pc than any other medium.  Vita has, by far, the largest number of VNs on it of all the current-generation systems.