What are you playing?

Just picked up a Vita last night. They didn't have the Dangan Ronpa games (I played the first one on emulator before they started working on an official translation and I read a 'summarized' version of the second one in LP form) in stock so I just ordered them both on Amazon and downloaded Sweet Fuse to play while I waited c: I've never owned a Playstation system before, only my Wii and DS, but I decided I'd upgrade to a PS Vita before a 3DS because I could hold off on playing RF4 for a chance to play some of the good Vita games. The translation of Sweet Fuse is iffy (they're only introducing themselves ATM but I think I've come across 2-3 spelling errors already) and they say 'Gosh' and 'Golly' more than I was expecting but the art is great so far and the game doesn't look that bad.

That and if nothing else Dangan Ronpa should be here by 8pm tomorrow night, so I'll live.

Play 999 on your DS (or emulate it) and then buy Virtue's Last Reward to play right after you finish the Danganronpas.

Play 999 on your DS (or emulate it) and then buy Virtue's Last Reward to play right after you finish the Danganronpas.

Already own/played 999 all of the endings, twice. I'm still planning to get a 3DS though at the end of this month or early next month so I plan to wait and get it on the 3DS instead of the Vita. I'd rather have a 999 DS and a Virtue's Last Reward 3DS than a 999 DS and a Virtue's Last Reward PS Vita.

I also plan to get Corpse Party now that I have a Vita, I haven't actually played that one. Then I definitely plan to get Euphoria the second it comes to pre-order even though I don't play nukiges because it's still the same 'get out while you can' genre that I really enjoy in handhelds.

Started on Majikoi, and I'm really liking the over-the-top, silly feel right now.  I've been reading mainly serious VNs as of late, so a change of pace is nice ^_^

Really liking the art and voicing so far as well.  Wanko's sprite kinda reminds me of Kanon from G-senjou for some reason; probably the hairstyle.

EDIT:  "P-please meat in my mouth from morning."  xD

Already own/played 999 all of the endings, twice. I'm still planning to get a 3DS though at the end of this month or early next month so I plan to wait and get it on the 3DS instead of the Vita. I'd rather have a 999 DS and a Virtue's Last Reward 3DS than a 999 DS and a Virtue's Last Reward PS Vita.

I also plan to get Corpse Party now that I have a Vita, I haven't actually played that one. Then I definitely plan to get Euphoria the second it comes to pre-order even though I don't play nukiges because it's still the same 'get out while you can' genre that I really enjoy in handhelds.

Be wary, the 3DS version has a game-breaking glitch and only a single save slot while the Vita version comes with three save slots (3DS arguably has better controls, but you will rarely miss the second screen unless you want to take a lot of notes)

Get a US version of VLR if you want English VA.

Be wary, the 3DS version has a game-breaking glitch and only a single save slot while the Vita version comes with three save slots (3DS arguably has better controls, but you will rarely miss the second screen unless you want to take a lot of notes)

Get a US version of VLR if you want English VA.

What's the game breaking glitch? I didn't mind the single save slot, the save slot was only there to allow me to turn off my DS when I went to bed and I often kept the game on and running in sleep mode while I was at school so that I could pick it up and play in my free time. I'm probably biased in liking the 3DS better because I've had this Vita for less than 24 hours, but I was weary about getting the Vita because I preferred the duo screen, fold closed to sleep feature on the DS and I rather enjoyed the control system on the DS as well. I might have just given up the RF4 game I wanted to play if I didn't like the DS so much as a system because I have a feeling a lot of the dual system games I'll end up buying for the DS > Vita. And unless they ported 999 onto the Vita in a hard copy not from their PSN I really don't want to have the game on 2 different platforms. I also don't want some game breaking bug in my game though :/ Zero Escape why would you do this to me.

And what version would I get other than the US version? I didn't realize the game was a TLed game when I played it the first time but iirc there was no VA in the first game to begin with.

My friend is coming over so I guess I might as well grind through another Steam VN while I wait for him. Probably just gonna open Shan Gui because VNDB says it's under 2 hours long.

Started on Majikoi, and I'm really liking the over-the-top, silly feel right now.  I've been reading mainly serious VNs as of late, so a change of pace is nice ^_^

Really liking the art and voicing so far as well.  Wanko's sprite kinda reminds me of Kanon from G-senjou for some reason; probably the hairstyle.

EDIT:  "P-please meat in my mouth from morning."  xD

I actually thought that was going to end up a pretty serious action VN. If people like it I might try looking for an import of it.

This translation though. I'm reading Sweet Fuse and the prostitute goes "you all right there Detective?" And the security guard/police detective guy goes "It's 'Detective' and you know it." To which the prostitute says 'Details! C'mon man, don't sweet the small stuff!"

Like naw bro it's not detective it's detective.

Idk what the detective guy is supposed to be (he was at the amusement park as a security guard that day and they keep referring to him as a police officer, a police detective, and a detective) but that translation is silly.

I actually thought that was going to end up a pretty serious action VN. If people like it I might try looking for an import of it.

I think it gets a little more serious later on in some of the routes, but so far in the common route it's just hijinks and improbable feats of superhuman strength, agility and skill.  Pretty standard to keep things light and funny early on, but Majikoi seems to be pretty silly so far.

I'm playing Rewrite at the moment, and loving it a lot. It's one of only a few pieces of media that actually got a few tears out of me, which happened when...

Kotori's parent familiars acted like real people before they distracted the black dogs.

And again when I read about Shizuru's past.

What's the game breaking glitch?

Don't save your game in the Crew Quarters or the PEC Room. If you avoid doing that you should be fine, and the one save file won't affect you. If you prefer 3DS, get it on that. I played it on 3DS with no issues as I was warned about the bug before playing.

Don't save your game in the Crew Quarters or the PEC Room. If you avoid doing that you should be fine, and the one save file won't affect you. If you prefer 3DS, get it on that. I played it on 3DS with no issues as I was warned about the bug before playing.

Oh I think I saved the game a total if 2 times in a door puzzle in the whole time I played 999 so I should be fine in that regard, but I really appreciate the heads up.

Also ugh I'm still playing Sweet Fuse and part of me is like "nerdy gamer boi is so cute" and part of me is like "this game is E for everyone 999 without the puzzles". So conflicted. Takes my favorite console game type and mixes it with an otome featuring video games, prostitutes, and cute faming boys...but the game just isn't great so far.

I think it gets a little more serious later on in some of the routes, but so far in the common route it's just hijinks and improbable feats of superhuman strength, agility and skill.  Pretty standard to keep things light and funny early on, but Majikoi seems to be pretty silly so far.

The most serious Majikoi gets is during the Wanko route probably, where it forgets to be funny for a few scenes. But it never lasts long. In all other routes, even at its most serious, it's still completely and utterly absurd. 

Is that Higurashi?

Because if it isn't, I have one more thing to hype about

It is, it's this, specifically: https://vndb.org/r37226

edit: 19 chapters, that shit is way too bloated. Higurashi badly needs a "Director's Cut". A release where Ryukushi chops out all the fat and releases a "compact" definitive version. I have a feeling that would just be chapters 1-8, though (the original story). 

Too bad you despised VLR.

Anyway, try Danganronpa if you haven't. 

Hm. It's quite probable you forgot, but way back when (in my introduction post), I said it was one of my favorites.

I'm surprised you remember about me hating VLR. I would've liked it if Dio, Tenmyouji, Clover and that one masked guy weren't so obvious, though. The other bad point was the true ending. Ugh, how utterly boring. I'm not gonna post spoilers on the matter.

Yumina the Ethereal is fantastic.

Is it translated? Is it possible to give me a shorter review than those dudes on the IGN type sites do?

On a separate topic, I finally got F/SN to work on my PC. Mainly because it's a different PC. I've forgotten why I even felt it'd be good to read it, but it's pretty decent so far, if a bit idiotic in some senses. Such misfortunes for Shirou, and his ever-virtuous attitude is getting annoying. While his story is nice in its own way, I liked Rin and Archer's interaction better. And might I say, Type-Moon has made SUCH a great improvement in their games, I can't even tell they made it.

Recently, I finished Tsukihime. I hadn't finished it yet for about two years, when I found out I had the game on PC (I'd forgotten completely, hahaha) a few weeks ago and promptly finished it. Apparently, there was something wrong with one of the files, so I torrented it once more and skipped downloading all the other files. Selective torrenting sure is nice.

I have to say I didn't like how it was semi-linear. Arc's route should be the last one, not the first. Sacchan should have a route. AND WHY IS KOHAKU'S ROUTE THE FINAL ROUTE?! SHE WAS THE WORST HEROINE IN THE DAMN GAME! Ugh.

But still, I went and picked up Kagetsu Tohya. It was... better, but isn't Shiki cheating on whichever heroine he chose in Tsukihime?

There was some stupidity, but humor was good (especially cuz it didn't exist in Tsukihime, but also cuz it made serious scenes seem even more serious). I liked the way Type-Moon handled the game and the way Mirror Moon translated it. All in all, pretty fun. So I used it as the standard to judge F/SN. When I realized F/SN had actual voice acting, it already had Kagetsu Tohya beat.

Good job, Type-Moon. You've improved since I last saw your games. Let us hope that, if you aren't out of business, you can continue making games this good. But make the hero at least a bit more interesting, like Shiki. At least Shiki has a fighting chance in battles. I mean, come on, Shirou is so abused that I feel sorry for him and annoyed at his silver will at the same time. Also, Shirou is against others being hurt, but why, OH WHY, does his dialogue have to be "You're a woman, so you shouldn't fight"?

That's all I have at the moment, thank you for your time, I hope I've convinced you to play Tsukihime and ignore F/SN, Bye.

I know I already have like a million VNs started and that I need to finish them first, but... but... the money just flew out of my wallet, and...

ziycwAd.jpgIT'S HAPPENING!

What, is that Higurashi with actual high quality art?  I look at VNDB and still only see their latest game is in 4:3 with low res art.  It bothers me that in 2012+ we are still getting VN's in 4:3, even from amateur groups considering 16:9 has surpassed 4:3 already.  Even moreso, I imagine that the people who are developing these are computer nerds themselves so they more than likely have at least some of the more modern equipment.  If it is 16:9 high quality art, Higurashi, I will be highly interested when it gets released in some form or another in english.

What, is that Higurashi with actual high quality art?  I look at VNDB and still only see their latest game is in 4:3 with low res art.  It bothers me that in 2012+ we are still getting VN's in 4:3, even from amateur groups considering 16:9 has surpassed 4:3 already.  Even moreso, I imagine that the people who are developing these are computer nerds themselves so they more than likely have at least some of the more modern equipment.  If it is 16:9 high quality art, Higurashi, I will be highly interested when it gets released in some form or another in english.

It's a PS3/Vita version of higurashi so yeah, it's in 16:9. I don't believe they redrew any of the art that was in the PS2 version, so I don't know how well it upscales or what the original source resolution of their assets were.

Also you have to keep in mind that computer tech adoption rates in general are much lower in Japan. 4:3 monitors are still very common there. VNs have very low requirements, so people run them on ancient clunkers. When your core customer base is running your product on a decade-old computer with a 4:3 CRT, it makes you reluctant to have super high res versions. This is further exacerbated by the fact that 2D art becomes much more expensive to produce the higher res you go, so developers are double-incentivized to go low-res. They don't want to waste resources producing assets that won't be fully utilized by most of their customer base.  Most modern VNs are 720p now, but 1080p VNs from Japan are very rare and it will be a long time before that becomes widespread.

I'm done with Muv-Luv...extra and unlimited that is....time to move on to alternative now...been waiting for aliens, explosions.....giant caliber guns...and mechs....I'v seen enough giant caliber guns...enough mechs...and some explosions...in unlimited.....NOW ITS FOR THE REAL DEAL!! MECHS VS ALIENS!!!  :D  :D  :D

I'm done with Muv-Luv...extra and unlimited that is....time to move on to alternative now...been waiting for aliens, explosions.....giant caliber guns...and mechs....I'v seen enough giant caliber guns...enough mechs...and some explosions...in unlimited.....NOW ITS FOR THE REAL DEAL!! MECHS VS ALIENS!!!  :D  :D  :D

... eventually. I have a feeling that you're reading muv-luv for the wrong reasons, or are going in with the wrong expectations. It is not an action story, and is not primarily focused on mech combat versus aliens, although there is a little bit of that in alternative.