Japan and Digital Relationships

Nosebleed

While I'm usually not a fan of this guy's cultural shock videos, I found this one to be a bit more sound and logical and made me actually think about the "issue" at hand.

After watching the video, what are your thoughts on the Japanese and their escapism to the digital world?

How true all the facts listed in this video? 

And of course, are 2D people, or at least dating sims, becoming more of a replacement to real people/dating? And if so, is this a good or a bad thing?

I'm curious to see what you think.

What I'm trying to ask is if dating sims in general are actually a replacement to physical relationships and if that has any impact in the world.

And also if the whole thing about how Japanese men have such a huge burden is actually true (and how that consequently leads to dating sims)

Ah yeah it actually is kind of a problem. Hasn't  it been tied as one of the reasons for japans population decrease?

Nah, the correlation isn't 100% clear, it's just a conjecture.

If it was actually 100% directly related the government would have banned dating sims a while ago.

That's why he mentions in the video that the Japanese government is still trying to figure stuff out.

Though I'm not saying it's 100% unrelated either.

In fact the whole point of the video is to show how dating sims are NOT the problem and how the traditional Japanese lifestyle is the reason this happens.

I think we've discussed this one about twice already...

It's clearly different, Zaka pls.

Yeah this has been discussed already. I didn't watch the video because >videos though.

I highly doubt a lot of people could replace real relationships with fictional ones. Our needs in term of socialization vary from people to people but it's still always there to a degree.

Also thinking dating sims could have an effect on population decrease in japan sounds pretty insane to me. If anything they're a small consequence, not even a cause. The phenomenon lies in a combination of various societal factors like the unavoidable population aging and birth rate decline of current developed countries (especially big here because the immigration is small), the fact that the typical relationship and subsequent couple situation in japan is not adapted anymore to the current society and the general trend of japanese males towards apathy.

So here is what I think so far..this would be better presented to audiences that have no idea what a dating sim is, since we are all under some influence of Japanese culture, I'm pretty positive most of us know the difference between a dating sim and just a pure adult game, The point he makes about people being depressed... I think it's true...since I think Korea or Japan has like one of the highest suicide rates in the world. That is really sad, having to stick to virtual reality to get some love... this will probably get worse in the future,lol, people will be all about 2d and no more 3d relationships,lol 

Also thinking dating sims could have an effect on population decrease in japan sounds pretty insane to me. If anything they're a small consequence, not even a cause. The phenomenon lies in a combination of various societal factors like the unavoidable population aging and birth rate decline of current developed countries (especially big here because the immigration is small), the fact that the typical relationship and subsequent couple situation in japan is not adapted anymore to the current society and the general trend of japanese males towards apathy.

I'm with you there. I see dating sims as a reaction, not a cause, and generally I find the causation augment relies upon stereotypes built on other stereotypes.

While I'm usually not a fan of this guy's cultural shock videos, I found this one to be a bit more sound and logical and made me actually think about the "issue" at hand.

Oh, it's a completely different video than the one I thought it was- I was referring to this one:

I think this is very spot on, i mean i cant find another reason why a market centered on on developing relationships with anime girls is so huge. Then take in account the nature of most games were we have a faceless and voiceless protagonist so they can fully escape into a virtual world. Heck is even used in anime with the loser and clueless bland anime harem protagonist. 

Lets not forget the Love Plus phenomenom (Wich would had continued hasnt Konami mishandling it as badly as they did)

Recently now with Oculus Rift/Morpheus is another form of escapism (The waifu era some says) and that Robot that looks almost human (Even the creators claimed the robot would serve the porpuse of being an user sex machine) this seems like going even deeper.

It also would explain why japanese would kill you if you choose a canon heroine for a game/anime.

Of course this isnt the main problem since the real issue seems to be that japanese dont really dig forming a familly anymore thanks to men being overworked and women choosing careers over household.

Japan birthrate will decline even further thanks to all the above.

Of course this isn't the main problem since the real issue seems to be that Japanese don't really dig forming a family anymore thanks to men being overworked and women choosing careers over household.

Japan birthrate will decline even further thanks to all the above.

141915453419.jpg

Looks like Kenji was right... If only Japan listened to him.

He has a cute voice. Other than that, his video was, say, nice.

3D Custom Girl though. I'm like what.

Those boobs.

I've played it before, but I never really got into it.

Dunno 'bout Japan things and all, but if that's true, then that's kind of sad.

If that's the price for rising in economic status, then it's simply sad.

Sacrificing most of your time for such a physical thing ain't really good for me.

So the solution is to reduce women into slavery, it's really the only thing your sick mind can think about?

The solution would be to simply reduce the workload for everyone since the issue seems to be the fact that men and women are too overworked to be able to invest a sufficient amount of time into starting and maintaining a family. Luckily, this is something the government can actually have an influence on so there's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel (imo).