Quitting anime right before finishing

Mr Poltroon

I've really wanted to make this thread for a while now, even if it is ridiculously specific and not so much about anime, so I don't care what forum this ends up with.

So, the thing is exactly as I said in the tittle. I've come to notice over time that I always get bored or stall or drop my anime right before I finish. If it's got 13 episodes I stop at 9 or 10. If it's got 24 I stop at 20 or 22, and similar shenanigans. This isn't always the case, obviously, but it does happen quite often.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Sounds like you've got a case of premature ejanimation. I'd go see a doctor if I were you.  :makina:

On a slightly more serious note, in the rare cases where I watch something while it's airing I sometimes drop it regardless of how many episodes in I am simply because I get tired of having to wait a week for 20 minutes of anime. However when I watch something I've downloaded, I usually either drop/stall it during one of the first episodes or just marathon it to the end.

Depends. I dropped some of animes in that style too, however that mostly because i was bored or disappointed with it.

Some of Anime that i dropped be4 i finished it

-ore, twintail ni narimasu

- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

-Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga.

and etc....

It's part of a psychological thing where you don't want it to end and so you indefinitely stall them

jk idk xD

I only barely started spamming anime this month so idk. How long have you been watching anime before this started happening?

I intercalate VN's with anime, so I very much doubt it's oversaturation.

What you said as a joke, however, I've also thought about that before. It's a possibility.

As for watching anime before this started happening... I know it started to happen around summer last year, but that's when I got more seriously into VN's and anime as well, so I was expecting it.

What's strange is how I don't drop things early as much as I drop them near the end.

The most ridiculous examples are these two, which I dropped/stalled on episode 11.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2966/Ookami_to_Koushinryou

http://myanimelist.net/anime/15225/Hentai_Ouji_to_Warawanai_Neko.

Though I do tend to come back and finish it some time later (weeks or months, sometimes. It's hilarious watching the last episode of something you don't even remember). Hence the lack of examples on my list.

I used to pretty much do this all the time. Don't know what to owe it to. Sometimes I attributed to not wanting a show to end, but it's usually because I marathon most of the episodes in one day, go do something else, and just never come back to it. I also have bad habit of being eager to start something new and just losing interest in the middle of what I'm currently on. I've noticed that if I take a more even watching schedule with a show, I'm more likely to end up finishing it.

I was watching Accel World in 7th grade but stopped around four episodes before the end.

Sadly, since I could not relate to the fat protagonist after that age because I hit a growth spurt and looked less like I'd swallowed a pilates ball in infancy, I never had the same enjoyment from it whenever I tried to finish it off.

I intercalate VN's with anime, so I very much doubt it's oversaturation.

What you said as a joke, however, I've also thought about that before. It's a possibility.

As for watching anime before this started happening... I know it started to happen around summer last year, but that's when I got more seriously into VN's and anime as well, so I was expecting it.

What's strange is how I don't drop things early as much as I drop them near the end.

The most ridiculous examples are these two, which I dropped/stalled on episode 11.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/15225/Hentai_Ouji_to_Warawanai_Neko.

Though I do tend to come back and finish it some time later (weeks or months, sometimes. It's hilarious watching the last episode of something you don't even remember). Hence the lack of examples on my list.

you dropped spice and wolf around episode 11, which is strange as it has a sequel and has some of the best banter i have ever hear anime or otherwise.

So a question first, are you marathonning series or are you watching them a bit at a time and interspacing them with other series or vn's?

The reason for this question is that some series are really unsuited to marathoning, Spice and wolf being a prime example because of the very large amount of conversation in it, another an probably the best example would be aria the animation wich is just to damm slow and relaxing for maathoning.

And personally i have also dropped a lot of series in the last two or three episodes, because they just did not live up to my expectations or because i did not want them to end.

Which i did with spice and wolf, it must have taken three months to watch the final episodes.

On another note the spice and wolf novels are available in english and licencet by yenpress, you might want to check them out as they have better pacing and story choeision. (pretty sure i spelled that horribly wrong)

I'm curious as to your answer.

I do tend to marathon things yes. I don't like watching more than one thing at a time, which means when I get excited for something else I'll just drop what I'm doing.

Seeing things that way it's one of the more plausible explanations.

yeah it probably is that as i found it happening myself when maratoning series like these.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/477/Aria_the_Animation

http://myanimelist.net/anime/25/Sunabouzu

Now the most likely, reason i got bored ( yeah right most of these are some of my personal favorites)/ quit watching them.

- In Aria nothing ever happens NEVER, it is a very slow series that focusus on relaxing and the very slow pace makes one want to sleep. (Still one of my personalt favorites because of this though)

- Desert punk concists of short arc's mostly one to two episodes long and has a lot of vulgar jokes and comedy. Which is only funny for so long each week, before it gets mildly boring.

- spice and wolf like desert punk is episodic in nature, but has a long story in the background that never gets explored and has lots and lots of talking.

All of these series have in common that they consist of short story arc's, and are either slow paced (Aria and spice and wolf) or comedy (desert punk)

that makes them less suitible for marathoning as it takes time for a person to transist between two story lines/arc's.

And that can make one drop the final few episodes quite easily.

this is the primairy reason i tend to watch one or two anime series and read one vn at the same time. ( not counting this seasons series wich i follow)

and i just watch/ read what i feel like on that moment.

This way you can take a break from a series when you feel like it and they dont get boring.

Best thing to do is to make sure they are in a different catagery, for example romcom and mecha.

Now some other series are quite suited to marathoning examples are

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5781/Isekai_no_Seikishi_Monogatari

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20/Naruto

http://myanimelist.net/anime/93/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Seed

all of these series have multiple overlapping story lines that occur at the same time or have long story arc spanning multiple episodes.

And that makes them quite suitable for marathoning.

And DAMM that was one wall of tekst hope i have not bored you to much :P

Edit: well that is my view anyway and it works for me, as for the thruth.....no idea. It might be the truth or i tmight just be utter BULLSHIT.

I do tend to marathon things yes. I don't like watching more than one thing at a time, which means when I get excited for something else I'll just drop what I'm doing.

Same happens to me for both VNs and anime. When I find something to watch/read, I will only focus on that work until I am finished with it. I just don't like reading 2 VNs or watching two anime concurrently.

As for the main question. I've only done this with shows that I've been told were good (hence why I don't drop them earlier), but realize that they don't get better. I hated Toradora from the first couple of episodes, but I ended up sticking with it until episode 18 because people kept telling me it "gets better". In all honesty, if you feel like dropping a show early on, just do it sooner rather than later. The chances are it will never "get better" for you. Initial impressions are important. And if you start out hating something, you probably won't grow to like it no matter how much you force yourself to watch it. In fact, your hate for it will only grow.   

Nope, I'm a true warrior of the No Droppers faction.

Have not dropped a single anime, no matter how much I hated its guts or how bored I was.

Because after that I can make constructive comments on how much I hated it.

This, unless it's outrageously long like Naruto Shippuden.  Sometimes I may take a while to finish but that's again usually outrageously long stuff like Fairy Tail and One Piece. 

I do this more with video games/VN, personally. In video games, it's because as I approach the end of a game, I get obsessed with doing side content,which inevitably isn't as good as the main content and I get burnt out on it pretty quickly. With VNs, I think I just get distracted from them pretty easy, and with them not being physical objects like books are, it's easier for me not to pick them back up.

With anime, I tend to drop really long ones, even if I like them. With ones I like that aren't ridiculously long, I binge-watch that shit and finish all of it over the course of one to three days. 

So no, I don't have that problem with anime, but I do have it with other forms of media.

Nope, I'm a true warrior of the No Droppers faction.

Have not dropped a single anime, no matter how much I hated its guts or how bored I was.

Because after that I can make constructive comments on how much I hated it.

Thats the right attitude ;) ... I don't have so much experience, but I would never drop something I've chosen. Sometimes there are shows which are really hard to watch for me, but I have to endure it for my own pride. 

I've never done anything like stopping if the anime is about to end. But on some, i do have the urge to stop watching just because it doesn't make any progress or it doesn't really interest me after some really interesting episodes, maybe 4-5 i guess. It occurs to me a lot but i just watch it until its last episode for completion.

It isn't really bad to stop at midway, or at 10-11 episodes for 12-13 episodes and 20ish for 24-25 episodes really. For me, i just have to bear for it.