Ryoji

What Anime are you watching now?

On 15/01/2017 at 8:54 PM, Mr Poltroon said:

Finished Moribito. Enjoyed it a lot. It was a heart-warming and emotional experience.
Some people seemed to complain it lacked a sense of urgency or was too light-hearted for us to truly worry about anyone's fate, but that's probably one of the reasons I could enjoy it so much.
Did lots of interesting things and I think the storytelling was, a lot of the time, well done. Excellent antagonists.

On 16/01/2017 at 4:05 AM, Fred the Barber said:

I'm glad you liked it :D

All this praise for Moribito, I couldn't help myself so I went out and watched it myself since I'm a sucker for feel good anime, and the combination of action and feel good is very rare. I thoroughly enjoyed it and watched it over only 3 nights. There was something stiff about the facial expressions in the animation which was a little awkward, but otherwise it looked  great too. As MP said, I quite liked the lack of urgency; it concentrated on character interactions and storytelling without needing to ram action down your throat. I kept expecting a surprise attack, or someone to jump out of the shadows, or some convenient misunderstanding, or missing information contrivances, or some other standard trope, and yet it never once did that which was surprising in itself and actually refreshing. Things did tie in very neatly in ways that became apparent earlier on so it was never particularly surprising where the story went, but that made the execution no less pleasing. 8/10

I've finished Shirobako. 9/10

Very interesting indeed. It aims to introduce the various concepts and explain what goes into making an anime, whilst caricaturing many of the aspects for the sake of comedy. Good examples are the reckless car driving assistant producers engage in for the sake of saving time or the "cowboy scene" -- if you've watched it you'll know what I'm on about. I especially liked it because I find the producer's, or in this case the production desk's, to be one of the most interesting jobs in the making of an anime. I especially liked small bits of comedy like her spontaneous reaction to "give me three days" with "make that two". After a while on the job it becomes instinctual.

Anyway, extremely informative, though not exactly accurate, view into what goes on behind the scenes.

I've also started Sanzoku no Musume Ronja, something I've had on my list for a while since it was a series Studio Ghibli worked on.

Interestingly, the bloody thing uses exclusively CGI characters, which is interesting to say the least. Shows how far technology's come, since it actually doesn't look half bad. Unusual, maybe, so it takes a while to get used to it. I really like the idea of anime using 3D characters like what's done here, and I'm sure nowadays' technology makes it more and more viable. I think 3D has a charm of its own, you see. Games nowadays have started using cutscenes using this kind of animation and I can't wait to see one of these pop up in anime on occasion.

As for the story itself, it starts off rather cute, I can already tell it's going to be the adventure family shenanigans I'm used to and like.

Small report on Ronja because I'm sure I'll otherwise forget it it:

This is the first time I've really noticed sound effects like in this one. Excellent job. The sound effects are fantastic.
One could say that them being unnoticeable is a job well done, but I think I prefer it when they so often stand out to my ears. The fireplace burning, or the water pouch moving, or the noise the spoon makes as it touches the cauldron...

Goddammit I jumped into Masamune-kun no Revenge w/o realizing that it's an ongoing current anime, aka I can't just marathon the whole damn thing now, fk me

I like the romance premise. This isn't some guy-who-is-naturally-going-for-a-girl-true-love-at-first-sight-destined-for-each-other-Re;zero-style or a guy-forms-unlikely-alliance-with-girl-only-to-eventually-fall-in-love-tora-dora style, but rather a guy-who-is-planning-to-get-revenge-on-a-girl-for-rejecting-him-during-childhood-by-wooing-her-10yearslater-to-then-instabreak-up-with-her-but-plotwist-he-will-probably-fall-in-love-for-real-cue-drama so it's pretty interesting to see how this pairing will develop and their interactions so far are quite entertaining

Just finished watching Mirai Nikki and Redial.  Meh.

The ending was weird, everything past the first few episodes was pretty mediocre (IMO), and Redial was a waste of time, aside from the jokes.  The main plot twist was fairly unexpected (although I was starting to wonder if they were going in the direction they did), and made me pay more attention, but they failed to do anything interesting with it (again, IMO).

Not the worst shounen anime I've watched (Naruto and the Bount arcs of Bleach take the cake), but I felt that the premise was ultimately squandered, and that even Yuno, the most interesting character in the entire cast, wasn't developed that well after she was introduced.

JoJo time~

Watched both seasons of "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" today.

Spoiler

Short version: I loved it.

Long version: I never did quite get the reasoning that the couple fell for each other, and I think that was kinda the point. Rather than trying to set-up the relationship with gallons and gallons of improbable experience, they just went for the 'they worked together, and kinda clicked' angle. And I liked that. I found myself sympathising with both characters at various points, particularly when it came to overthinking certain aspects of a relationship - it certainly happens, and this showed quite nicely that it normally takes the other one to just say "it's okay" for the worrying to stop. Despite the short time frame of each episode I felt their characters fleshed out pretty well over the, 80 minute (if that) run time. Finally, the bits that made me 'awww' didn't feel phoned in at all, instead feeling very natural in their usage. I'll watch it again.

Edited by AaronIsCrunchy
Got the title VERY wrong. gg me.

I just finished Kamisama Dolls. That was a pretty good watch, with intrigue, action, comedy and romance. It was a little flawed;  at times it felt quite disjointed in the way it moved from serious to comedy and somewhat inconsistent bits of supernatural capabilities and story telling, but it all came together fairly neatly by the end, and despite the fact that there is obviously a second season in the works (clearly anticipated by the story and previewed at the end) they weren't afraid to having romantic progress and a relatively nice conclusion to the first season. That's rather unusual given most shows with more seasons planned simply leave you in the lurch with a half arsed conclusion as a minor consolation. On the other hand, the first season was in 2011 and there's no sign of any second season in the works.

But those boobs... man... I'm not sure if I watched simply fixated by those... The promo pic doesn't do them justice.

kamisama-dolls_837_1680.png

On 1/20/2017 at 5:54 AM, Arkamondal said:

started to watch a little old anime named 'Happy Lesson'.....don't know if it's worth watching cause didn't hear anything about it...after it planning to watch SABER MARIONETTE J...also don't know anything about it....if u guys hv any suggestion on old anime pls suggest me....of course no tear-jerkers though....cause i can't handle them very welll....

Happy Lesson is not worth it.  Saber Marionette J ... I saw ages ago, and at the time I thought it was worth it but I don't know how I think it would hold up if I tried watching it today.

Old anime that are really awesome, in no particular order:  Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Princess Tutu, Kanon (2006), the first two seasons of Kenshin, Full Metal Panic, Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, Dragon Half, Koi Kaze, Akazukin Cha Cha (no, really, it's hilarious), Crest of the Stars (and the Banner of the Stars sequels), and Spice and Wolf.

On 21/01/2017 at 0:54 AM, Arkamondal said:

started to watch a little old anime named 'Happy Lesson'.....don't know if it's worth watching cause didn't hear anything about it...after it planning to watch SABER MARIONETTE J...also don't know anything about it....if u guys hv any suggestion on old anime pls suggest me....of course no tear-jerkers though....cause i can't handle them very welll....

How old is old? 2+ 5+ years? 10+ years?

2 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Happy Lesson is not worth it.  Saber Marionette J ... I saw ages ago, and at the time I thought it was worth it but I don't know how I think it would hold up if I tried watching it today.

Old anime that are really awesome, in no particular order:  Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Princess Tutu, Kanon (2006), the first two seasons of Kenshin, Full Metal Panic, Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, Dragon Half, Koi Kaze, Akazukin Cha Cha (no, really, it's hilarious), Crest of the Stars (and the Banner of the Stars sequels), and Spice and Wolf.

From my 10+ year old list, in addition to what @Nandemonai recommended, Eureka 7, Ghost in the shell (SAC), Love Hina, Lovely Complex, My Hime, Planetes, Kaleido star.

Planetes is an awesome manga, but the anime pales in comparison; to the point I couldn't even sit through a couple episodes of it.  It's a very short manga that got drawn out to a full 2-cour show, and the added content is not nearly as good.  Love Hina I didn't much care for either, since the girls are entirely too willing to be homicidally violent over things they know aren't the main guy's fault.  Instead of Love Hina, I'd recommend going back to the progenitor of the whole harem genre: Tenchi Muyo - the first 2 sets of OVAs are great, and the first TV show is pretty good too.  Also, I second Stand Alone Complex; season 1 is excellent, season 2 is ... still good, but not as good.  Never seen any of the others @ittaku mentioned, but My Hime and Kaleido Star are both on my list of shows I want to check out one day.

Edited by Nandemonai
WTF fuwa I know you know how to fill in an @notify

So I'm watching 'Lagrange: The Flower of Rinne". It started out being decent, looking like pretty stock standard big robot with girls fare in season 1 with a mildly annoying protagonist but was okay to watch. Now I'm in season 2 and it's almost like a different series being very good with some great strong female leads and intrigue... even though I doubt the ending will be unexpected. I'll probably marathon the rest tonight so I may well report my final impressions very soon.

EDIT: Finished watching it. Yes it was very good to the end, and with a mandatory happy ending for me to like it. The story's rather silly in places and a bit shaky but it has a feel good momentum that makes it enjoyable to watch regardless. It went a bit evangelion for a while there but recovered by the end :P

Next up: I've been convinced to at least try watching gintama so that's what I'll do... somewhere amongst Kokoro connect and Haibane Renmei which I've also queued.

Watched TTGL. No words are large enough. Cried several times in the last 2 episodes. 10/10 if I ever saw it.

It's amazing how Imaishi's direction can just make you accept every absurd technicality the writer throws at you. 

Spoiler

(Edit: I now realize like 90% of everyone who watched it must have asked the same question, but whatever, I still sorta stand by it)

That said, I don't understand why Nia had to die in the end. I understand the explanation, but I'm sure they could have explained some way for her to stay alive if they wanted to. It just made the marriage scene (and in some ways, a lot of Simon's struggle) feel pointless to me, like a big middle finger at the end (hello gainax, I guess?) 

Can't I just get one epic, emotional story that ends with, like, a 20-second scene of the main pair, old and wrinkled, sharing one last moment of intimacy on a bench in front of their house, looking out at everything they've accomplished together as they let out their last breaths? No? Ok. Just me I guess

Edited by john 'mr. customer' smith

On 1/23/2017 at 3:46 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

Good examples are the reckless car driving assistant producers engage in for the sake of saving time

When I first saw that scene in the first episode, my initial reaction was they were paying tribute to Initial D. It made me and some other fans quite happy :) 

Rewrite S2, yes yes the CGI monsters are terra-bad and all them non-VNers are getting totally shrekt on wtf is going on, but any1 who's read Moon route should've climaxed 9000x at the adaptation's version of it, seeing all the heroines' final moments in Moon along with the flashback snippets of their individual route CGs just gave me the biggest nostalgia boner ever.

Just finished Haibane Renmei. It was a beautiful story of redemption with angel themes without being openly spiritual or religious as such. It had virtually no themes or tropes from any of the common anime productions of today and was nicely paced without being too slow despite being quite old. It was also really nice to hear Motoko's VA (from Love Hina) in a big role again; I recognised her immediately. My only complaint was what I watched was BD resolution but clearly only about 480p so it had upscaling artifacts which were worse than just watching DVD res. Nonetheless I highly recommend it if you're looking for something different. It's like... Angel beats without the deceptive action and artificial soppy romance.

Also I've started watching gintama... with my wife, since I have no intention of watching the whole thing through so far and then going back and rewatching it with her, so it's an experiment for both of us. We've made it 5 episodes in and so far it's okay and seems to be getting funnier as it progresses. Having survived that many episodes so far, I'm hopeful we'll both get an extended watch out of it.

On 2/13/2017 at 4:18 AM, Eclipsed said:

Rewrite S2, yes yes the CGI monsters are terra-bad and all them non-VNers are getting totally shrekt on wtf is going on, but any1 who's read Moon route should've climaxed 9000x at the adaptation's version of it, seeing all the heroines' final moments in Moon along with the flashback snippets of their individual route CGs just gave me the biggest nostalgia boner ever.

Moon's adaption was the anime we wanted all along but didn't receive.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:02 AM, ittaku said:

How old is old? 2+ 5+ years? 10+ years?

From my 10+ year old list, in addition to what @Nandemonai recommended, Love Hina, 

LOVE HINA

LOVE HINA

L O V E H I N A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

tumblr_nu1lwa5LGd1uum06fo1_500.gif

also remember to watch slayers and nadia: the secret of blue water

Finished Kokoro Connect. That was excellent! Only rarely was it predictable but it didn't change the fact that when it was predictable, it was well executed. I did like the way they resolved relationships without doing what I hate see happen (can't say more without spoilers.)  Great watch, 9/10.

Underway on Gintama with my wife too; we haven't given up after 10 episodes and are enjoying it more as it goes on so hopefully both of us are going to get a nice long watch out of what exists so far.

Nearly halfway through a favorite of my sisters, Ouran High School Host Club. It's...... alright, I really like the characters but I feel like they are wasted on the stories presented in the series. It feels like the writer was aiming for something like Hayate the Combat Butler in terms of atmosphere and comedy, but lacks the skill and funnybone, so it comes across as kinda trite.  

21 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Nearly halfway through a favorite of my sisters, Ouran High School Host Club. It's...... alright, I really like the characters but I feel like they are wasted on the stories presented in the series. It feels like the writer was aiming for something like Hayate the Combat Butler in terms of atmosphere and comedy, but lacks the skill and funnybone, so it comes across as kinda trite.  

I had trouble staying awake through Ouran so after about 4 or 5 episodes I gave up.

10 hours ago, ittaku said:

Finished Kokoro Connect. That was excellent! Only rarely was it predictable but it didn't change the fact that when it was predictable, it was well executed. I did like the way they resolved relationships without doing what I hate see happen (can't say more without spoilers.)  Great watch, 9/10.

See, I was under the impression that you, much like me, would also like this anime.
I still don't know why I like it, though.