What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

On 11/11/2016 at 3:52 PM, Soulless Watcher said:

I love Wolf Children but, I have soo many questions about that implied bestiality scene......... 

i know im a bit late but i love this movie and wanted to participate. :wafuu:

yeah, i was kind of surprised by that too. XD i was expecting her to go "whoa there! i do love and accept you, i just dont know if im ready to fuck a wolf."

Edited by mitchhamilton

Do you fine gentlemen around these parts believe I would like Shakugan no Shana?
It looks like it may be interesting, but I'm unsure.

In the meanwhile I've started Dantalian no Shoka. Very enjoyable indeed.
Obviously reminiscent of Gosick, in that both are mysteries set during about Victorian times, containing a lolita dressed in lolita fashion with a sweet tooth and a war veteran caretaker. Now, whereas Gosick focused on the mystery solving -- Victorique solved everything -- Dantalian focuses on the inherent mystery of its supernatural elements. It's not a true mystery-solving anime, for the answer is impossible for us to figure out on our own for the most part, but is mysterious, and we are attracted to try and understand it.

2 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Do you fine gentlemen around these parts believe I would like Shakugan no Shana?

Obviously reminiscent of Gosick, in that both are mysteries set during about Victorian times, containing a lolita dressed in lolita fashion with a sweet tooth and a war veteran caretaker. Now, whereas Gosick focused on the mystery solving -- Victorique solved everything -- Dantalian focuses on the inherent mystery of its supernatural elements. It's not a true mystery-solving anime, for the answer is impossible for us to figure out on our own for the most part, but is mysterious, and we are attracted to try and understand it.

I have no idea whatsoever about your tastes, so dunno... but I'll say that Shokugan no Shana is pretty good, although it falls ultimately short. I watched it a few years ago, so maybe it's actually somewhat worse than where I'm putting it, but I remember it having an interesting idea and a couple good twists. The romance is mostly silly, teenager-level stuff, so it depends on your taste if you'll enjoy it or get annoyed.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:19 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

I tried Shakugan no Shana a while back (maybe 6 months or so?) and although I watched several episodes, I couldn't really get into it. I ended up dropping it, which is honestly a pretty rare thing for me. Assuming your MAL is up to date and you're fishing for recommendations, after looking through your "plan to watch", you should totally watch NagiAsu; I love it, and I think you will too.

@Mr Poltroon Shakugan was a pretty good watch from start to finish as an action series with some humour and the romance side of things was very minor, reserved mostly for OVAs, and every season was relatively complete and satisfying. However I watched it way back when it aired so my recollection may be getting foggy. On the other hand, I second @Fred the Barber's recommendation of Nagi no Asukara; that was an incredible watch.

So I finished rewatching Haikyuu 1/2/3 with my wife. Great sports anime and looking forward to more seasons.

Halfway through daily lives of high school boys; pretty funny stuff.

Finally got off my arse and have started watching Steins;Gate by myself. 1 episode in and am enjoying it.

Rewatching FMAB for what must be the 10th time! This time with my son who's turning 15 and has been enjoying anime but hasn't watched this life changing series yet. I promised him I'd watch it with him on the school holidays which have just started. What a masterpiece... I have to rewatch this at least once a year. I think they're the most played BDs in my collection.

(Of course I'm also watching tons of shows that are currently airing but I never bother posting those on this thread.)

On 12/15/2016 at 5:19 PM, Mr Poltroon said:

Shakugan no Shana is an interesting series because it's one of the few that ever adapted the entire source material from start to finish. 

I watched it a long time ago and enjoyed its first 2 seasons, the 3rd being a bit of a hit and miss as it went on, but the ending was satisfying. 

Considering your tastes, you're likely to enjoy the sort of drama Shakugan no Shana aims for. It has romance as a somewhat central element but the world is vast and many things are happening alongside it. If you like the idea of fighting for the ones you love, you're likely to be into it. 

I do not know how you'll feel about season 3, however. I personally thought the way they pushed the setting and drama in it was pretty forced to say the least in comparison to previous seasons, but it wasn't all bad either. 

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I tried Shakugan no Shana a while back (maybe 6 months or so?) and although I watched several episodes, I couldn't really get into it. I ended up dropping it, which is honestly a pretty rare thing for me. Assuming your MAL is up to date and you're fishing for recommendations, after looking through your "plan to watch", you should totally watch NagiAsu; I love it, and I think you will too.

NagiAsu is a wildcard for me from the information I've heard about it. I'm either going to enjoy it or hate its guts. What surprises me, though, is

43 minutes ago, ittaku said:

@Mr Poltroon Shakugan was a pretty good watch from start to finish as an action series with some humour and the romance side of things was very minor, reserved mostly for OVAs, and every season was relatively complete and satisfying. However I watched it way back when it aired so my recollection may be getting foggy. On the other hand, I second @Fred the Barber's recommendation of Nagi no Asukara; that was an incredible watch.

that this guy likes it too. Certainly worth considering it, then, under said circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Shakugan no Shana is an interesting series because it's one of the few that ever adapted the entire source material from start to finish. 

I watched it a long time ago and enjoyed its first 2 seasons, the 3rd being a bit of a hit and miss as it went on, but the ending was satisfying. 

Considering your tastes, you're likely to enjoy the sort of drama Shakugan no Shana aims for. It has romance as a somewhat central element but the world is vast and many things are happening alongside it. If you like the idea of fighting for the ones you love, you're likely to be into it. 

I do not know how you'll feel about season 3, however. I personally thought the way they pushed the setting and drama in it was pretty forced to say the least in comparison to previous seasons, but it wasn't all bad either. 

My rubbish tier taste will carry me, fret not.

I got this impression from my own investigations, but it truly seems like I'll at least enjoy it. Romance has never needed to be the focal point, after all.
Indeed. Let's do this!

EDIT:
I've also finished watching Dantalian no Shoka.
My impression remains relatively unchanged, and I liked the hell out of it. If I had a complaint is that there is certainly more to the story -- more I may prove unable to find out, on account of the sole season.

7 hours ago, ittaku said:

Rewatching kuragehime aka jellyfish girl with my wife. Nice light hearted ~romantic comedy with glorious Kana Hanazawa as lead VA.

EDIT: Wife's loving it :)

Princess Jellyfish is the shit, and is one of many shows that has me suspect I actually prefer watching shoujo anime adaptations more than most others (especially shounen...). I'd trade a generic school battle harem for Princess Jellyfish any day of the week.

Edited by Fred the Barber

18 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Princess Jellyfish is the shit, and is one of many shows that has me suspect I actually prefer watching shoujo anime adaptations more than most others (especially shounen...). I'd trade a generic school battle harem for Princess Jellyfish any day of the week.

Whaaaat?

How come I was unaware of this show?! I shall keep my eye on it.

----

In the meantime I have finished Strike Witches, which I rather liked despite all the complaints I lobbed at it via twitter, and have started Shakugan no Shana.

I'm unsure on Shana. The premise is fine and I'm loving the "powerless" protagonist. I much prefer when the protagonist is the one being protected, to be honest. Of course, when such an occurrence occurs... well, the protagonist tends to later gain magical superpowers that make him be the protector. I've set my expectations accordingly but a slimmer of hope remains that he doesn't gain any powers -- I'm sure he can find other ways to be helpful.
What really discouraged me from continuing straight on were people's impressions. I'm too easily influenced and what I read about a title can easily make me want to finish it in one sitting or drop it. Right now I'm leaning towards putting it on hold, probably.

----

Most of my watchlist otherwise are comedies and slice of life. Neither of which fit for mass consumption. Bugger. :vinty:

7 hours ago, ittaku said:

with glorious Kana Hanazawa as lead VA.

KI0bgcf.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'm unsure on Shana. The premise is fine and I'm loving the "powerless" protagonist. I much prefer when the protagonist is the one being protected, to be honest. Of course, when such an occurrence occurs... well, the protagonist tends to later gain magical superpowers that make him be the protector. 

Shakugan no Shana actually has a fairly interesting approach to this. You're right in that the protagonist wants to get stronger to protect the girl, but the series doesn't exactly turn into that. Although I can't say whether or not the way it turned out was for the best (I can't clarify more without spoiling, sadly). If you're expecting it to turn into  a "guy protects girl" type of scenario, you might be surprised (whether the adverb you attach to surprised is "pleasantly" or "annoyingly" is up to you though).

32 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I have long come around the idea that shoujo and josei series are the shit compared to shounen and seinen series. The character depth, the human interaction, the beautiful artstyle, everything is perfect for me. Yes, there are some annoying tropes in it too, but in general I tend to prefer the type of stories shoujo series aim for.

20 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Whaaaat?

How come I was unaware of this show?! I shall keep my eye on it.

----

In the meantime I have finished Strike Witches, which I rather liked despite all the complaints I lobbed at it via twitter, and have started Shakugan no Shana.

I'm unsure on Shana. The premise is fine and I'm loving the "powerless" protagonist. I much prefer when the protagonist is the one being protected, to be honest. Of course, when such an occurrence occurs... well, the protagonist tends to later gain magical superpowers that make him be the protector. I've set my expectations accordingly but a slimmer of hope remains that he doesn't gain any powers -- I'm sure he can find other ways to be helpful.
What really discouraged me from continuing straight on were people's impressions. I'm too easily influenced and what I read about a title can easily make me want to finish it in one sitting or drop it. Right now I'm leaning towards putting it on hold, probably.

----

Most of my watchlist otherwise are comedies and slice of life. Neither of which fit for mass consumption. Bugger. :vinty:

Shakugan no shana is actually a solid anime series.

Although the ending of the final season is something i disliked intensely, not because it is terrible per se but because it somehow managed to press all my wrong buttons.
Lets just say i quite hated the show for a long time afterwards.  When you finish it do let us know of your opinion.

Personally i am currently watching el cazador de la bruja and madlax.

Just now, Nosebleed said:

She's one of the few VNs that makes me want to buy ear plugs :P

On 17/12/2016 at 10:02 PM, Nosebleed said:

@Mr Poltroon I don't like Nagi no Asukara, which should be an indicator that you'll probably like it.

I finally found someone with the exact opposite taste to mine. It shall make it easy to know what to do with your recommendations and dislikes :)