What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Now I don't watch a lot of anime nowadays but I just finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei as well as its last 10 or so manga chapters. Like I love it a lot but what the fuck.

Spoiler

I'm still chewing on that ending and aren't sure how to feel about it. Regardless, I will say that the amount of detailwork and foreshadowing is actually insane.

Frankly, there's nothing else like it at least as far as anime goes, and while it's not for everyone, I would at least tell anyone with a darker sense of humor to give it a shot.

Just finished Steins; Gate last night and the movie today of which I've put off for quite a while.

Time travel is actually one of the only things I usually like from Sci-Fi oriented shows, the way S;G expresses the uncertainty and inconsistencies of using time travel is amazing. Though, my real admiration is of the characters and their relation to time. Okabe is probably one of my favorite protagonists of all time. Just the way he reacts to situations and conversations with his colorful personality is priceless. 

Oh, and best girl is of course Christina for being a good tsundere.

El Psy Congroo.

Finished the Godesses arc of Kaminomi. I didn't like the previous girls returning as much as I thought I would, but I am really looking forward to seeing Keima finally pick a girl for real instead of going for them because he is forced to. I don't have one favorite, but there quite a few I wouldn't mind "winning" this, though from the comments here I assume it will be someone else.  

3 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Finished the Godesses arc of Kaminomi. I didn't like the previous girls returning as much as I thought I would, but I am really looking forward to seeing Keima finally pick a girl for real instead of going for them because he is forced to. I don't have one favorite, but there quite a few I wouldn't mind "winning" this, though from the comments here I assume it will be someone else.  

Goddesses arc was probably the best. I'm sad they didn't do the rest of the manga. Apparently they're never going to do the rest (but who knows in this world of rehashes and flash funding.) Without spoiling, I was not satisfied by the anime's ending despite an enjoyable ride.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:47 PM, ittaku said:

Goddesses arc was probably the best. I'm sad they didn't do the rest of the manga. Apparently they're never going to do the rest (but who knows in this world of rehashes and flash funding.) Without spoiling, I was not satisfied by the anime's ending despite an enjoyable ride.

Don't know if you read the rest of the manga, but it's really best that they ended it there. It really felt like they were just throwing in a bunch of random ideas to try to continue the story, and it never paid off. The ending is more definitive than the anime, but it really feels like a "we had to end it now, so here's who Keima ends up with" kind of ending. Who he ends up with doesn't feel like one that the story past the Goddess Arc built up to since they were entirely irrelevant throughout that half of the story.

Edited by pik3rob

1 minute ago, pik3rob said:

Don't know if you read the rest of the manga, but it's really best that they ended it there. It really felt like they were just throwing in a bunch of random ideas to try to continue the story, and it never paid off. The ending is more definitive than the anime, but it really feels like a "we had to end it now, so here's who Keima ends up with" kind of ending. Who he ends up with doesn't feel like one that the story past the Goddess Arc built up to since they were entirely irrelevant throughout that half of the story.

Thanks, I have not read it, I just found the anime ending unsatisfying after a long enjoyable journey.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Thanks, I have not read it, I just found the anime ending unsatisfying after a long enjoyable journey.

Honestly, if they were to continue the anime, they should adapt the chapters of the heroines that they skipped. Yui's arc in particular is probably the best individual heroine arc in the series. She really got shafted in screentime in the anime. Shame because she's actually the best character.

Yui deserved better. She should have had OVAs dedicated to her arc like Tenri. She was easily the most entertaining heroine.

28 minutes ago, Beichuuka said:

I was also fairly satisfied with Keima's girl of choice.

Yeah, most people are, and I can see why because she reflects well on Keima's character. It's just that she wasn't really a part of the final arc, making the final arc inconsequential towards who he chose, thus making the entire last arc feel somewhat pointless.

1 hour ago, pik3rob said:

Yeah, most people are, and I can see why because she reflects well on Keima's character. It's just that she wasn't really a part of the final arc, making the final arc inconsequential towards who he chose, thus making the entire last arc feel somewhat pointless.

I think it mostly has to do with the manga getting axed. The mangaka probably had the chosen heroine planned out ahead of time, but had to rush the relationship due to time constraints.

55 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I think it mostly has to do with the manga getting axed. The mangaka probably had the chosen heroine planned out ahead of time, but had to rush the relationship due to time constraints.

Yeah, that certainly seemed to be the case. The final arc felt very rushed around the end and it didn't seem to know where it was heading, so the ending was very rushed.

1 hour ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Ouch so if the manga got axed then I now understand how the anime had even less chance of being complete.

1 hour ago, Kenshin_sama said:

It wasn't axed per se.

From what I understand the mangaka had too much planned and couldn't figure out a way to tie it all together so just kinda shrunk the scope as to be able to give it an ending.

Edited by Beichuuka

On 2017-09-24 at 1:49 PM, Seth said:

Ich don't want to spoil things but I have never been so salty over a decision for a girl like in kaminomi. Every other choice, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE, would have been acceptable, just not this.

Let me join in on the salty wagon. Just finished reading it. It's not like I disliked her, before the last arc she was one of the 3-4 girls that I rooted for and her being girl chosen makes a lot of sense: 

She's the only 'normal' girl and Keima had to leave his 'game'.

It's just the way it was handled was pretty bad in my opinion.

The last arc had absolutely nothing to do with her.

P.S. The post below gave it away way before the ending. I immediately knew who it was with like 40 chapters remaining. :( I'll learn to know not to read the posts here before finishing things.

15 hours ago, pik3rob said:

On 10/20/2017 at 1:30 AM, Beichuuka said:

It wasn't axed per se.

From what I understand the mangaka had too much planned and couldn't figure out a way to tie it all together so just kinda shrunk the scope as to be able to give it an ending.

Oh, really? Where did you find that out?

I had heard from a few people that the manga was getting axed, and given the dip in quality of the arc leading up to the ending (it was slow and uneventful, imo), I was inclined to believe it. I could be convinced otherwise, though.

Just finished My Hero Academia S2, really liked the tournament arc. I am a big fan of them in general, but this one wasn't a generic shounen tournament arc where every fight is extended beyond reason. It had some long fights where the power levels were around equal and some really short ones where the difference was overwhelming. Seeing motivations from minor characters was also satisfying, but the biggest reason I liked it was because I couldn't really predict what would happen.

The second half of it wasn't as good, but overall I am pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had with it. I still don't like Midoriya and Bakugo, but Shoto stood out for me. I barely remembered him from Season 1, but now he's my favorite character of the series. Also I feel like Shigaraki has a lot of potential as a villain.

2 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Just finished My Hero Academia S2, really liked the tournament arc. I am a big fan of them in general, but this one wasn't a generic shounen tournament arc where every fight is extended beyond reason. It had some long fights where the power levels were around equal and some really short ones where the difference was overwhelming. Seeing motivations from minor characters was also satisfying, but the biggest reason I liked it was because I couldn't really predict what would happen.

The second half of it wasn't as good, but overall I am pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had with it. I still don't like Midoriya and Bakugo, but Shoto stood out for me. I barely remembered him from Season 1, but now he's my favorite character of the series. Also I feel like Shigaraki has a lot of potential as a villain.

Sounds like you might like Kengan Ashura

I finally got back to watching Gurren Lagann seriously a few days ago, and I wrapped it up tonight. I don't really know what to say except that it was amazing. I was constantly either grinning or outright laughing at the way it just kept one-upping itself right to the very end. The delightful subs made all the difference as well: I imagine that would've been a much worse experience without all the flair the translator packed into those lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Started watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a couple days ago, on episode 19 and boy has a lot happened already. 

Every episode feels full of progression, and every interaction feels reasonable and powerful. There are plots twists I had no idea would happen, or happen so early.
I'm anticipating every episode, so that makes it good in my book so far.