Are you that type of VN player?

hamoun76

I usually only finish 1 route of any visual novel especially if the route I finished was very good/cute/romantic. One good example would be Asuho's route in Hoshizora no memoria. Seeing how much she was cute and the love that she had for the protagonist and the fact that  

she liked him from the beginning

just makes me feel like a traitor and a cheater If I play another girls route. Stupid, right?

So is there anyone out there like me who treats his 2D girls way too much like a real girl? LoL

I felt that way after completing some of Rewrite (Can't remember which route it was exactly - Kotori was first but I took an extended break after that) but eventually I powered on through and finished it.  There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just means the writers are doing their job.  But the feeling only lasts a week or two at most, and if it left that strong of an impression you're likely to finish the game eventually.

I'm more likely to stop playing after a single route because the game managed to lose it's source of power, or if the path to the next route felt too convoluted (Ex.  Comyu, where it would auto-skip past the new scenes and severely hampered my enjoyment.)

It's a bit vague, but I suppose I am that type, at least in exceptionally good VNs.

I wouldn't say I'm that type given the fact that obvious cheating from the protagonist can make me laugh and playing another route straight on doesn't bug me at all.

But I had that kind of feeling once, in Lucia's route (Rewrite). Dammit I never felt so involved, affected by a heroine than Lucia, her character is soo genuine that I can't possibly forget it, her past is astonishing and her development during the route turned me upside down to the point I didn't even took the time to play my usual role of sneaky bastard trying to pick minor flaws to criticize it just for the sake of it later (very mature of me indeed).

Now Lucia is my favorite heroine ever and I remember stalling Rewrite for a week after her route. I guess my answer is yes and no. :Kappa:

I always do every single route in a VN,because i want to experience everything that a VN has to offer,and i just have to get that 100% :P

Then i read totono,and it changed the way i'll look at a VN for the rest of my entire life,so nowadays i actually feel kinda like i betrayed the heroine when doing other heroines routes after doing that particular one....

But what could i say? getting 100% gets the better of me every time

Loyalty. That's a good trait  ;) 

I tend to not worry too much about being 'faithful' to my ultimate bias heroine and just go ahead and play the other heroine routes.

Though I did have a visual novel withdrawal moment after I played my first VN, KonoSora. Like I felt bad that, in all technicalities, only one heroine will actually get to end up with the protagonist while the rest are GG'ed.

Then I played Steins;Gate and Bioshock: Infinite (both of which introduced the idea of multiple universes and alternate timelines) and from then on my philosophy is that ALL heroines get with the protagonist, it just happens on alternate timelines :3.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Rewrite is(semi-spoilers)

a prime example of this philosophy in action

:D especially in the Moon Route~

Nope, I do every route in every VN I read.  I'm a completionist, so I get seriously irked it I don't finish every route (except Isuzu's from Hoshimemo, I loathe her).  I don't really view it as "cheating" because each time you do a new route you're essentially back in the beginning of the story, and the events of the past route didn't actually happen.  I also don't really view it as a relationship between me and the heroine, only myself watching the MC develop a relationship with the heroine.  Even if I strongly identify with the protag I've never actually been able to "put myself in their shoes", so to speak, to the point where I think of myself as the protag.  Not to say that I don't form emotional attachments to the characters, though.

I'd seriously recommend reading the other routes in Hoshimemo.  Komomo and Kosame's routes kinda blow the other ones out of the water.

I was never this way. I've never felt any sense of attachment for any heroine in any of the VNs I've played so far, they're just characters in a story to me. This is also why I don't get the whole 2D waifu love thing. So yeah, not a shred of guilt for playing other routes.

I also don't really view it as a relationship between me and the heroine, only myself watching the MC develop a relationship with the heroine.  Even if I strongly identify with the protag I've never actually been able to "put myself in their shoes", so to speak, to the point where I think of myself as the protag.  Not to say that I don't form emotional attachments to the characters, though.

/word, I couldn't type it out any better.

btw, Mystery girl is best girl. 

Nope, I do every route in every VN I read.  I'm a completionist, so I get seriously irked it I don't finish every route (except Isuzu's from Hoshimemo, I loathe her).  I don't really view it as "cheating" because each time you do a new route you're essentially back in the beginning of the story, and the events of the past route didn't actually happen.  I also don't really view it as a relationship between me and the heroine, only myself watching the MC develop a relationship with the heroine.  Even if I strongly identify with the protag I've never actually been able to "put myself in their shoes", so to speak, to the point where I think of myself as the protag.  Not to say that I don't form emotional attachments to the characters, though.

I'd seriously recommend reading the other routes in Hoshimemo.  Komomo and Kosame's routes kinda blow the other ones out of the water.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! And don't tell me that! I will never betray my beloved Asuho-chan and date her nemesis! I would break her heart :(

Loyalty. That's a good trait  ;) 

I tend to not worry too much about being 'faithful' to my ultimate bias heroine and just go ahead and play the other heroine routes.

Though I did have a visual novel withdrawal moment after I played my first VN, KonoSora. Like I felt bad that, in all technicalities, only one heroine will actually get to end up with the protagonist while the rest are GG'ed.

Then I played Steins;Gate and Bioshock: Infinite (both of which introduced the idea of multiple universes and alternate timelines) and from then on my philosophy is that ALL heroines get with the protagonist, it just happens on alternate timelines :3.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Rewrite is(semi-spoilers)

a prime example of this philosophy in action

:D especially in the Moon Route~

Yes, but in every single of those timelines, only one girl gets the guy. The other girl (especially if she had liked the guy before) would get heart broken. and that's many heart broken girls in many different dimensions. I cannot stand by that ! :)

I was never this way. I've never felt any sense of attachment for any heroine in any of the VNs I've played so far, they're just characters in a story to me. This is also why I don't get the whole 2D waifu love thing. So yeah, not a shred of guilt for playing other routes.

Well, you can get attached to characters and not be obsessed with them, you know.  I've broken down crying reading a book when one of my favorite characters died, and he was a side character (Coll from The Chronicles of Prydain).  Being attached to a character ≠ they are your waifu/husbando, it just means that either you strongly identify with them, or that you like their personality.

For example, I love Sachi's character, yet I don't consider her to be my "waifu".  Sure, I have her face as my profile pic and a pic of her as my sig, but I don't have a Sachi shrine in my bedroom or Sachi merchandise filling up my bookshelf.  There's certain levels of attachment that are normal if you really like a character, and they leave an impression on you.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! And don't tell me that! I will never betray my beloved Asuho-chan and date her nemesis! I would break her heart :(

No problem ^_^  Hope you can get past your reluctance to finish the other routes eventually, there's some quality story in the others that would be a shame to miss out on.

Well, you can get attached to characters and not be obsessed with them, you know.  I've broken down crying reading a book when one of my favorite characters died, and he was a side character (Coll from The Chronicles of Prydain).  Being attached to a character ≠ they are your waifu/husbando, it just means that either you strongly identify with them, or that you like their personality.

For example, I love Sachi's character, yet I don't consider her to be my "waifu".  Sure, I have her face as my profile pic and a pic of her as my sig, but I don't have a Sachi shrine in my bedroom or Sachi merchandise filling up my bookshelf.  There's certain levels of attachment that are normal if you really like a character, and they leave an impression on you.

No problem ^_^  Hope you can get past your reluctance to finish the other routes eventually, there's some quality story in the others that would be a shame to miss out on.

Thanks. You mean about mare, shinigamis and the fantasy/sci-fi aspect of the story? yeah, Asuho's route left some unanswered questions for me.

You are so much in a wrong media then.

Thanks. You mean about mare, shinigamis and the fantasy/sci-fi aspect of the story? yeah, Asuho's route left some unanswered questions for me.

Mare is Mare, which means that she contradicts logic.  I was originally going to wait to do her route until after the fandisc was TL'd, but I'm going to go back and read it soon-ish, but yes, I assume it explains some things about her in her route.  Can't really say much about the others without spoiling, but...you can't get a good picture of them as characters without completing their routes first.  They're...bare-bones until you finish their routes, which isn't that uncommon in VNs, but really, Kosame and Komomo's routes change your perception of them in a huge way.

You'll not get away with that, I guarantee it.

Wait...I won't get away with not having those, or I won't get away with having them?  I'm confused...

Yes, but in every single of those timelines, only one girl gets the guy. The other girl (especially if she had liked the guy before) would get heart broken. and that's many heart broken girls in many different dimensions. I cannot stand by that ! :)

LOL, good one, I didn't think of that! xD.

Eh, but rather than focusing on the idea that multiple universes exponentially creates more broken hearts, I'm just glad that every heroine at least has a chance to be with the protagonist instead of there being only one absolute heroine given one universe.

~~~

Overall though, I think you're missing out in the VN experience if your beliefs are preventing you from reading other routes. But hey, if you are satisfied with reading just the route of the heroine you like the most, then that's all that matters :D~