Literacy and Visual Novels

crisevelaugh

Hi guys! I'm currently a student and I'm doing a research paper on visual novels. The topic that I'm trying to argue is that video games, specifically visual novels, can help improve literacy when people play them.  I'm trying to prove that visual novels are basically like regular novels but more interactive and engaging.  They also reach out to visual literacy as well as print literacy, because it involves pictures, facial expression, and learned social interaction.  I just want some opinions on this topic, I've already done a lot of research, but it would be nice to have some other ideas. Thanks!

Do you think visual novels can improve literacy? Why or why not.

If you're already a native reader of the language it's written in, no, I don't think so. Most VN translations actually exhibit a rather poor level of english and I don't think they do much to improve literacy to people who are already fluent in the language. Real novels are much more challenging and a far better way to improve literacy. Interactivity has nothing to do with it. "Engaging" is a highly subjective term and a lot of people find the superior writing of proper literature to be more engaging than anime romance. And visual literacy... if the facial expressions and social interactions present within anime and VNs were truly educational in any meaningful way, otaku would have entirely different stereotypes attached to them.

Basically, I disagree with your notion 100%. :P

Edit: If we're talking about a hypothetical situation where a VN is written on the same level as a proper well-written novel, then sure, but no such thing actually exists right now, and if it did I'm not sure it would be strictly better, since almost always the text will take shortcuts afforded by the use of artwork, whereas novels have to describe each scene in more detail.

It all depends on the quality of the translation, I suppose. If it's very high, it can definitely help just like any other book would - but there's not so many of these.

If we're talking strictly about Japanese visual novels, while there are a lot of them that are written in a (figuratively) lazy way, taking shortcuts books really can't take - like relying on dialogues a lot, not caring that much about text flow - there also is a relatively high number of VNs where the literacy level is high. This would include a lot of chuuni titles (Muramasa, Senshinkan...), or generally VNs that are anything but a regular charage/moege. I'd say Akatsuki Works write on a pretty high level, in their works like RuiTomo, you get bombarded by old saying and plays on the language in almost every single scene.

So yes, I agree with your notion. While it is much more complicated in English, it's definitely not impossible. Just like there are poorly and well written books, visual novels follow the same standards. Even if VNs might seem a bit more lenient on the language at first, it would probably be good to keep in mind that light novels tend creep on those low language levels as well, and there is a lot of those.

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I'll be using both in my paper, just as a survey kind of thing.

And the definition of literacy I'm going off of is the 21st century definition which includes a visual aspect (Harvard Pedagogy Database).  Basically, nowadays literacy encompasses linguistics, as well as visual, audio, gestural, and spatial modes.  Because of media, basically students should be able to recognize symbols as well as words.  I'm not really trying to say that visual novels can improve reading literacy, but that they can "drive"--I suppose--reading in an environment outside of school.

My topic is really just drawing conclusions from several sources to come up with a way to portray VN's and text-based video games as a "beneficial" learning tool.

Thanks again so much!  It's great to have feedback so quickly!!  I''m also comparing them to an advanced version of "Choose Your Own Adventure Books" if any of you remember or know what those are, haha.

My thesis states that VN's, text-based video games, and interactive novels (not necessarily all of the romantic ones), can engage a reluctant reader because of it's unique format.  Those not willing or wanting to read, won't even realize they are when "playing".

Some other responses that I've gotten are "anything that induces reading is helpful to literacy" all the way to "f--- no, I play 6 hours a day and I still don't think it's helpful" (that one being from my very helpful friend haha  <_<)  I really just need a different range of opinions.  So thank you all so much again!

My thesis states that VN's, text-based video games, and interactive novels (not necessarily all of the romantic ones), can engage a reluctant reader because of it's unique format.  Those not willing or wanting to read, won't even realize they are when "playing".

That is definitely possible, it can definitely serve as an entry point. Sort of the same way Harry Potter helped raise literacy standards by getting more kids to read. But it would depend upon whether it leads people to read more widely and in different formats (which is good) or if it just leads people to read more VNs or play more games (which won't be nearly as helpful in raising literacy.)

Well, you do learn a lot of trivia and might even get some new words every now and then (which applies to both non-english people reading english and non-japanese people reading japanese, I reckon).

My answer: Maybe a little, it depends on the material. 

Regardless, you'll probably learn something new in every visual novel. Be it a weather phenomenon, a star constellation or something about art, culture or medicine. That alone is worth a lot.

And since most VNs should have a story and characters, they're also fine material for writing class homework. Surely better than browsing TvTropes 24/7.  

Just don't believe anything that happens during eroge scenes, the first time will suck.

I personally find visual novels something between anime and a novel. They are easier to read because they rely less on your imagination to make the setting characters and so on. You have the world visually in front of you. The best vn's imo combine great soundtracks with visuals and cg's that show what is going on.

Because they are made in this way, the have less focus on literary way of describing the world. More focus on dialog and monologue. Never the less they are still novels in the sense of the word, books. Reading will make you better at reading. Albeit the quality of the English translations will get some in the way. But I think they will give practice to peoples literacy anyway.

Edit: If we go into reading jp vn's some of them are written really beautifully. The prose in Ruitomo as

Vokoca mentioned is really good.

I'm already a bookworm, so visual novels didn't really affect my desire to read or whatever, however I have to say that it is a very good way to improve in english. I must say that I developed all of my english skills from VNs, I'm not fluent when it comes to communicates but I can definitely read and understand practically everything  (even "well-written" books).

I don't really see the point in saying that VN are useless in this field "Translations are like girls, they're cute and unfaithful or ugly and faithful " - (I forgot the author)

Anyways english isn't my native language so I'm probably wrong if we're talking about deepening one's mastery of the language through VN (writing beautiful sentences etc.)

I've definitely seen people that read VNs but wouldn't touch a book, so there's that. However as also mentioned, VN translations often have questionable quality English.

Personally I didn't really get into VNs through anime, so I'm kind of an anomaly. I also used to be a bookworm, though I mostly don't read books any more (I read VNs and net articles though).

What about OELVNs? My memory has faded somewhat, but "Katawa Shoujo" should have at least an average young adult novel's levek of English. Although that's the only OELVN I've read, there's certainly a case to be made there. VNs aren't all translations.

That said, IMHO you really ought to be reading something more highbrow if you're a native speaker and wish to improve your literacy. If it's a foreigner learning English at an intermediate level, VNs can be quite helpful.

I read alot (have since grade school) so really VNs just attracted me because I played games for their stories and a game that was pure story intrigued me plus it came off as a game-ified version of the choose your own adventure books that I grew up reading.

There is one area for literacy that you could explore. The fact that most VNs are in Japanese and have a slim chance of ever being localized, it prompts some of us to make an effort to become at least somewhat literate in a new language.

Some companies use top-notch narrative, others have narrative that is equivalent with an insane third-grader on pot.  As for translated... sorry, you generally won't see excellent prose out of the translated versions.  This is a limitation on the receiving end (very few translators can serve as their own editor, which leads to the translation checker, who is also not an editor, having to mess up the orderliness of the editor at times... not to mention that complexity of expression doesn't translate very well).

To be blunt, high quality narrative is concentrated in only about five or six major companies in the Japanese VN industry, none of which produce 'mainstream' moege/charage/nakige (Key is not one of those companies).  VNs which have been translated that had high-quality narrative in Japanese include: FSN, Tsukihime, Grisaia (narrative is much higher quality in Japanese, so yall Japanese-incompetent are missing out), Ayakashibito, Comyu, Sekien no Inganock, Sharnoth, and Sharin no Kuni.  Notice the tendency in these games toward... the fantastic, let us say.  Two of the best narrative efforts I've read in Japanese - Muramasa and Dies Irae - are almost untranslatable, simply because they are such high-quality narrative efforts. 

Most VNs are on the lower end of the scale of the kind of teen-oriented writing you see in the Hunger Games, where the book's writing was third-rate but the scenario was good enough to make a popular movie.  I know I'm sounding pessimistic, but that's just the way it is.  They are better than Manga, not quite as good as the best Light Novels (speaking of 'them' as an average of non-nukige VNs).

Edit:  In English, most of the above-mentioned translated VNs make it to about Light Novel levels in terms of the quality of their translated narrative... that is, nothing on the level of a true high-quality novel, but enough to satisfy for many.

Visual Novels definitely increase reading comprehension in some way, shape, or form. VNGs do seem to focus on story more than the actual quality of the writing itself, which is no bad thing. VNGs seem to spread ideas just as well as a book, and since in a way, *you* are the protaganists, you get much more invested in the story, heightening the impact. VNGs are made to be immersive. 

VNGs help you connect the dots above all else. Since there's the illusion of user interaction, it's much easier to see x happening as a result of y in a story. You could also argue that VNGs are almost sort of a crutch for visualizing literature: the setting, appearances of the character, and the soundtrack are all decided for you. Oddly enough, the more I play vngs, the easier it is for me to visualize settings and characters in novels I read.  

Most VNGs are not well written as in prose, so it won't help you be literate as much as conventional literature. The best written VNGs are the ones that simply don't have anything that sounds awkward. Even if a VNG is written mediocre, the music, plot, and voice acting can make it successful. 

Wow! I didn't realize how many people would respond thanks for all the input!  Also have any of you played Sorcery?  It's an app by Inkle, and the company produces many text-based video games, the narrative type feel is what I'm going for.  I'm including all text-based in my thesis, not just visual novels.  So do you think things like Zork (if you're familiar with it), as well as other games where it's reading centered, could "engage" a reluctant reader?  And I'm talking about students, possibly middle schoolers, as a populous to engage, because I know as adults or older students, reading comprehension isn't the real purpose someone would read a VN haha.

Again thanks for all the feedback!  This is really surprising and great!  If you don't want to be included as part of my survey you can just comment and let me know.

You bring up some really interesting points here (which is why I liked your post) but I'm not sure if anybody in this thread is guilty of considering it a Japanese medium. I could be wrong, I only skimmed the replies.

If you pay attention to the posts, you notice that a majority just dismiss the idea because they're translations. They completely ignore the existence of OELVNs. (Though admittedly, they're aren't that many.) I assume that was Palas's reasoning.

I moved to an English speaking country when I was around eight and had to learn the language. If I had known about VNs back then, it no doubt would have helped. For beginners, any exposure to the language would be helpful. Beyond that, novels would probably be more beneficial since they have no visuals to support them. Of course, visuals would help with that visual literacy thing you spoke of :).

The fact that VNs are mostly translated would be a barrier as well. You have to trust the scripts are not machine translated, in which case they might even teach learners the wrong things.

If you have picked up a VN, it is probably because you are genuinely interested in it. That is an important point also. Forcing people to learn through a particular is unusually unhelpful. If they happen to be interested in a certain medium anyway, might as well let them indulge.

I think people here are generally of the opinion that most if not all OELVNs are not really worth reading. I'd also say that hardly all OELVN writers are native speakers, and a decent few don't write well even though they are. Who would feel encouraged to read by a crappy story? Perhaps hyperbole, but nevertheless.

Well I certainly feel that way, but that's because I'm not a visual novel fan, I'm a bishoujo game fan. If I were a "pure" visual novel fan, I might think differently.

Anyway, the potential of Japanese visual novels and other video games to increase literacy in Japanese is significant, I know that muchbecause I experienced it myself. I can't imagine myself having learned Japanese otherwise (I've never been to Japan and I don't know anyone there, for example)

I wonder why there are so few adaptations of literary works/fairy tales/etc., those are generally the best OELVNs I have read so far.

The initiator of this thread mentioned other text-heavy games besides visual novels, and sure enough, upon reading what you said, I had a flashback to childhood where was this thing called "interactive fiction". Some had graphics, some did not. But many books, like Zilpha Keatley Snyder's "Below the Root" and Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" stories got converted into graphics/text adventure games where you play the main character that were pretty darn good, while Douglas' Adams "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and others were similarly adapted into text adventure games. The original authors would sometimes participate in the script, and there were no problems I can recall with the writing...and they were fun. Meanwhile, NES adventure games (originally from Japan) often had pretty questionable writing...I guess that was a portent of things to come...

Edited by Nosebleed

ahh, I didn't read everyone's posts.. but here's my experience.

I grew up playing RPG games at a very young age. Before my English was even enough to understand exactly what was going on and where to go xD... mostly just random exploring and playing. As my English improved in school, I suddenly started to understand more as I played and could actually go through some parts of the game (btw this was like Final Fantasy 3).  I even picked up vocabulary words like Gauntlet, Helmet, etc. that no one knew in class xD. I don't remember the exact moment I had the boost in English understanding, but I started to play & understand some of the harder games like Final Fantasy 7 and such.

My interest in video games also branched off into an interest in Visual Novels. I'm definitely not a bookworm... about 80% of books I've read in my life have been forced on me by school xD.. and last 20% is when I'm just really bored, was something specific I wanted to learn.. or rare chance I read something just for pure enjoyment (like Harry Potter).  But it's like what someone mentioned.. for people that don't actually read books much, playing a heavy-text game.. sometimes I don't even notice that I'm reading that much, because it feels like I'm playing.  It's just a more fun medium, and more stimulation for me personally, than a book to keep me interested. 

I guess what I'm saying.. is that if it weren't for other mediums of reading, such as video games, visual novels.. maybe even anime subtitles & manga.. perhaps, I wouldn't have read as much as I have xD.  Whether it still helps me now or not, I'm not sure... but I think it did when I was still in the process of learning English and practicing it. I was practicing without even noticing it.

ooh, and I do remember times in the past I've used a dictionary as I played games xD.  See, it gave me that much motivation to figure out what things meant, and it wasn't even my homework, lol.