Help me regain interest

I wouldn't be asking for recommandations if I didn't want to play guys.

And I won't force myself.

I couldn't find a game that I thought was good enough so I lost interest, that's why I'm asking for recommendations.

I'm not starting a therapy session about a loss of motivation, I'm asking for games that may fit my tastes and thus I'll have something to play.

But you guys are right, I won't play if i feel it's going to frustrate me.

Happened to me and I didn't play a VN in over a year. I managed to solve this problem by starting to play in Japanese, because I just couldn't pick anything I like from the English ones.

Try doing that, that way you will have unlimited selection and you will be able to play the games you have always wanted to play (for me it was Iroseka which I would totally recommend).

So play something by your Favorite (:Kappa:) company that hasn't been translated yet, as chances are you will like it if you liked their previous works.

From my experience losing interest is more of a prolonged temporary thing. Often after reading a VN I won't pick up another one for several months to half a year. I generally get through around 2-3 VNs a year, with some years being better than others. (Also I've been reading VNs on/off for several years now). Honestly just give them a break for a while and before you know it you will start craving to read one. That's at least what happens to me. But if you want a good VN that will grab your interest from the start, I recommend Dysfunctional Systems. It's one of the few good OELVNs I've read. 

From my experience losing interest is more of a prolonged temporary thing. Often after reading a VN I won't pick up another one for several months to half a year. I generally get through around 2-3 VNs a year, with some years being better than others. (Also I've been reading VNs on/off for several years now). Honestly just give them a break for a while and before you know it you will start craving to read one. That's at least what happens to me. But if you want a good VN that will grab your interest from the start, I recommend Dysfunctional Systems. It's one of the few good OELVNs I've read. 

its usually like this for me, one day I just wake in the mood for playing VN after spending months without interest. 

its usually like this for me, one day I just wake in the mood for playing VN after spending months without interest. 

And here I thought I was just undisciplined. I've talked to people who reads 1000 books a year. Most of them are full length novels. I'm not sure if there's enough VNs to last that person long.

Lemme see... I think my tastes have at least some connection to yours.

Narcissu has a prequel I think and you liked Narcissu according to vndb votes.

The upcoming MG release Eden* is frequently described as similar to Planetarian (maybe not as good though) so might be something.

Remember11 is pretty cool (also: has near no SoL compared to Ever17), though it is unfinished as in it has no true route (I haven't actually finished it yet). Also the mysteries are more hardcore to figure out, better keep a text file ready imo. Never7 is at least decent apparently

I/O was headed by one of Ever17's writers and is fairly good, though I personally think the mysteries might be just a bit too hardcore and the ending is of debateable quality.

999 is another obvious title to recommend to people who liked Ever17. It's problematic due to certain similarities to that novel (and I recommend reading Ever17 first for that reason), but I found it quite enjoyable even with that factored into the equation. Emulating it is quite easy (imo) if you don't own one of the consoles it's released on.

Higurashi is quite cool, but does have some fairly extensive SoL segments. They can be pretty funny though... that said, I'd wait for MG's re-translation (though that will probably take a while...).

More personal recommendation (that will only take you a day, though) is True Remembrance. I really liked it, to be honest. Kinda deepfaggy if you're into that.

Oh, and Tsukihime. That shit be good, arguably more interesting than Fate/Stay Night in some aspects (it doesn't really have the philosophy thing though.) Pretty dark VN, also has relatively little SoL from what I remember.

999 was the very first VN I tried (I think) and it was amazing IMO, I was so intrigued because of the mystery of it. Then I tried VLR and Ever 17... just, wow.

Remember 11 was pretty cool too with a great idea, such a shame it was "unfinished" :( Never 7 was decent but a bit too romancey/SoL for me.

I tried to see his list, but vndb is too difficult to use =( sorry

Click the little VNDB button under his name. 

Then find the 'list' button somewhere on the right and near the top (but not quite there). Click that. (Or use this: http://vndb.org/u63030/list )

After you get to the list, you'll be able to see all his Visual novels. That should be sufficient. 

The only other thing you might need is to check his votes, click the arrow pointing downwards next to the 'vote' on the right.

Thanks, Tiago. Since I was only seeing some of his votes and his "front page", I ended up suggesting repeated VN's haha

His list seems to have a problem which leads to his profile instead of his list. (The problem is the # after the number) To fix it, you'd need to remove that.

See here:

http://vndb.org/u63030/list

http://vndb.org/u63030#/list

And here I thought I was just undisciplined. I've talked to people who reads 1000 books a year. Most of them are full length novels. I'm not sure if there's enough VNs to last that person long.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who reads VNs impulsively. Speaking to some people on the forums it feels like some people just plow through them. I could never keep that pace up. Also if I did that I would run out of any decent VNs to read within a year. 

Phoenix Wright is awesome, it's one of the more interactive novels to, and it has an awesome localization to boot. The writing is awesome. You should definitely check it out (just remember to at least take the third case).

There are, as of this writing, one main trilogy, a sort of remake of the first game with a different PoV, a sorta spin-off sequel with another protagonist and yet another sequel with the titular character, so you have a lot to choose from.

Usually when you get over something, it is hard to get back isnt it?

Not really. I usually play a game for 100 - 500 hours in a couple of weeks or months. I get bored because it is the same thing and pick up something else. After a couple of months I pick up the game again and enjoying it again. Typical examples are Europa Universalis 4, Medieval 2: Total War, Civilization 5 and other strategy games. I mostly play strategy. I got a couple of games with over 1000 hours of gametime. You need to take a break and return again, again and again.

I think it is the same with VNs. You can take a break and return to it after a while. I have done it before and I will do it again. 

Not really. I usually play a game for 100 - 500 hours in a couple of weeks or months. I get bored because it is the same thing and pick up something else. After a couple of months I pick up the game again and enjoying it again. Typical examples are Europa Universalis 4, Medieval 2: Total War, Civilization 5 and other strategy games. I mostly play strategy. I got a couple of games with over 1000 hours of gametime. You need to take a break and return again, again and again.

I think it is the same with VNs. You can take a break and return to it after a while. I have done it before and I will do it again. 

some thing with me and FPSs/mmorpgs

just not 500 hours

999 was recommended several times, I think that will be the one.

Yes! Another Zero Escape fan will join our army  :ph34r:

(I recommend you play Virtue's Last Reward after that, it's my favorite game of all time. it might also help that it is the effing sequel to 999)

I also recommend Danganronpa, use a PSP emulator at worst. I hope you have a Vita though, in that case, how to play VLR, DR1 and DR2 are both resolved.

Edit:

VLR is on 3DS and Vita.

Danganronpa has a fan translation of the PSP version.

Both Danganronpa games(DR1, DR2) have localized Vita versions.

You are losing interest just because you happen to come across a few VNs that you disliked in a row. My answer to that is newer give up, there is always more good stuff out there. Pretty much all that I would recommend is what someone already recommended, so the only thing I have to say is don't give up on VNs, as soon as you come across something that you like again your interest will rise up once again.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who reads VNs impulsively. Speaking to some people on the forums it feels like some people just plow through them. I could never keep that pace up. Also if I did that I would run out of any decent VNs to read within a year. 

Hey, that just happened to me!