Translating: Is it ok to cut H scenes?

Okami

I love when Translators decide to cut off H-scenes from the translation I hate H-scenes and think that cutting them out of VNs makes VNs batter, at least for me it does.

If I were to translate a VN once my Japanese becomes batter I would eather translate all-ages titles or cut off H-scenes if I were to translate eroge, and if someone is going to complain, I would simply tell them that I am not translating for people who want H in a first place so I don't care if he is not satisfied with my work.

I guess that other translators who decide to cut out the H content from their translations are having something similar on their minds.

I don't think any serious translator would really leave H-scenes untranslated. And I never saw a retarded trend like that in the past.

Cross Channel and Tsukihime (and other similar cases) do have translated H-scenes. They got additional, all-ages versions to reach wider audience, not because their translators said "Screw it, let's release an incomplete TL, because sex is EVIL, lol.". Eien no Aseila never got anything cut out by translators - they just picked an all-ages port of a PS2 version (that has no H, but offers additional content instead, presumably much more worthy of a TL than an evil-rapefest-route).

Nowadays, projects that consider not translating H-scenes do pop up here and there. But, I don't think a single one was actually completed so far, and most likely they never will. There's a very slim chance that people planning to release a half-assed, incomplete translation from the start are serious and determined enough to finish even that much.

I don't think any serious translator would really leave H-scenes untranslated. And I never saw a retarded trend like that in the past.

Cross Channel and Tsukihime (and other similar cases) do have translated H-scenes. They got additional, all-ages versions to reach wider audience, not because their translators said "Screw it, let's release an incomplete TL, because sex is EVIL, lol.". Eien no Aseila never got anything cut out by translators - they just picked an all-ages port of a PS2 version (that has no H, but offers additional content instead, presumably much more worthy of a TL than an evil-rapefest-route).

Nowadays, projects that consider not translating H-scenes do pop up here and there. But, I don't think a single one was actually completed so far, and most likely they never will. There's a very slim chance that people planning to release a half-assed, incomplete translation from the start are serious and determined enough to finish even that much.

So if there is no H-scenes included in translations and if translators are against them they must not be serious and determined? You say that thouse titles that did gotten released without H-scenes are exeption becouse there ware all-ages versions all along but don't you think that thouse translators that are cuting out H would do the same if such versions existed.

And calling such translations half-assed just becouse they are not ment for perverts like you are very rude.

So if there is no H-scenes included in translations and if translators are against them they must not be serious and determined? You say that thouse titles that did gotten released without H-scenes are exeption becouse there ware all-ages versions all along but don't you think that thouse translators that are cuting out H would do the same if such versions existed.

And calling such translations half-assed just becouse they are not ment for perverts like you are very rude.

No, he is saying that when when you are doing full translation, you translate everything, not just the things you like.

Imagine translating a book where the hero dies and the translator cutting that part out because he didn't like it.

H is an important part of eroge and as such the translation of it is necessary for it to be considered a good translation release.

If they want to translate all-ages version of the game it is their choice, but as you can see there is a demand for the H scenes, biggest example is the konosora restoration project that added H scenes back in the game.

And Okami, we know your opinion on this, you told us 1000 times already, you don't have to start pointless arguments again. If you don't like the H there is plenty of all-ages and those often receive translation (key works and such) and have no H to translate.

But for other eroge, H is part of the game and project leaders should always try finding someone to translate them.

The original work had h-scenes. Cutting them off doesn't change the fact it originally had h-scenes. If you're saying translators cut them off because they're for perverts then you're admitting the original work was for perverts as well so why are you interested in it?

A translator that respects a work of literature would try and translate everything.

H-scenes are part of an eroge.

It's not a matter of being a pervert or not, it's a matter of stepping out of your comfort zone and translating h-scenes. If you don't like h-scenes why are you trying to translate a vn with h-scenes? There's plenty of great all ages vns out there, you don't need to go and cut off h-scenes of an eroge that has them there for a reason. If you liked an eroge's story and want to translate it, then respect the original work and translate the h-scenes as well since they were intended to be there.

Calling translators half assed when they don't translate h-scenes because they don't like them is not such a wrong term.

It's like a kid that doesn't want to eat their vegetables because they don't like it but want the rest of the dish. It's that childish in my opinion.

I get that you really hate h-scenes. You've said it plenty of times. But then you shouldn't try and read vns with h-scenes, there's many all ages vns for one to enjoy, you don't need to go after works that have h-scenes and feel that it's your duty to bash the fact they have sexual content. Are there people who enjoy it just for the faps? Yes, I'm not denying that by any means. But are there people who like it as part of the story? There certainly are as well. But whichever the reason, the work had those scenes to begin with, regardless of the target audience, so don't try and delete stuff that isn't meant to be deleted.

I think translators should avoid taking any serious liberties on the game as much as possible. Removing h-scenes haphazardly is something I disagree with, and pretty much every TL project that does so falls into the "haphazardly" category. Even if they think it's for the better, it's not the translator's job to improve on the game. Please just give us the original work as the creators made it, and let us be the judge of its strengths and weaknesses. Taking out parts of it because you think they're not good just strikes me as really arrogant. This is what the Killer Queen/Secret Game translators are doing and I just don't like it because you get the impression they're doing it for philosophical reasons and not just personal ones. In the middle ground, there's the Lamune translation which is leaving the h-scenes in but are not translating them. I'd still prefer they translate it so we can see everything that makes up the game, warts and all, but if they really don't enjoy translating them, then hey, they're unpaid amateurs.

Official all-ages alternate versions are another thing entirely, because the replacement content is often written by the original writers and can be even better than the original content sometimes (like in Eien no Aselia). You can consider that content as part of the creators' vision.

I make this post as someone who doesn't get off on h-scenes and generally doesn't enjoy them.

As for the thing that might have sparked this (Killer Queen), those are the guys that translated I/O. I don't really think they are not serious. There's also a non-h remake of it which has some relation to the original, but is greatly expanded... I'm really not sure of the exact relations going on there.

As for the whole "full experience" thing, I really don't know. The relevance to the tone of the VN and so on can differ a lot - removing the h in, say, saya no uta would be pretty bad. Most romance vns would be worse without it in my opinion, though there are people that ctrl those too... ah well.

I'm not saying you can't complain about it, oppose it, whatever. But try to put it in perspective -- translation is a lot of work, and probably deserves your gratitude even if things aren't done exactly the way you want it.

If, as you say, the decision to leave H-scenes untranslated is a recent trend, then these groups most likely haven't had time to finish their translations. This would most likely be the reason you haven't seen any completed translations, not because groups which omit h-scenes are 'half-assed' or 'lack will.' There's a very famous translator in literature circles who used to omit sentences which she found too difficult, and she managed to translate over 60 novels (I think) in her life. Not exactly a person you'd describe as 'lacking determination', and she was a very serious translator indeed.

On a personal note the trend doesn't really bother me. I find h-scenes long and boring anyway.

As for the thing that might have sparked this (Killer Queen), those are the guys that translated I/O. I don't really think they are not serious. There's also a non-h remake of it which has some relation to the original, but is greatly expanded... I'm really not sure of the exact relations going on there.

As for the whole "full experience" thing, I really don't know. The relevance to the tone of the VN and so on can differ a lot - removing the h in, say, saya no uta would be pretty bad. Most romance vns would be worse without it in my opinion, though there are people that ctrl those too... ah well.

I'm not saying you can't complain about it, oppose it, whatever. But try to put it in perspective -- translation is a lot of work, and probably deserves your gratitude even if things aren't done exactly the way you want it.

Killer Queen has no non-h version, at least not the one they're translating. Killer Queen is a little weird, 2 years later they remade it into a  greatly expanded version with multiple routes, and it came out on consoles first as a 17+ game, which is Secret Game. The translation team is doing Killer Queen first and moving on to Secret Game, and then onto Rebellions Secret Game 2nd Stage which is remade version of Code:Revise. Each version of the game they're translating has h-content that they'll be removing. I do not believe that they'll be using any content from the console versions, especially since the PC h-games all have more content and routes than the console ones.

edit:  I do not know to what extent the games are influenced by the sexual content, but the translator's page states "However, references to ero content itself will remain. Furthermore, this is still not recommended to anyone under the age of 17 due to heavy sexual themes, as well as written depictions of graphic violence." It sounds like the content they're removing could be pretty relevant to the overall story. Outright removing sex scenes from a game with heavy sexual themes is just so bizarre.

How the hell did this turn in to a topic about whether or not H-scenes should be translated? I'm almost certain there aren't many people who have a divided opinion on this after the fiasco with moenovel. 

@Mephisto that is your opinion. A lot of people enjoy reading the h scenes. Honestly, I would rather not have that person translate it and wait for someone else to come along who will translate the h scenes. Also, there are all ages visual novels available to translate if someone does not like doing h scenes.

I was answering the question of "why people don't like translating H-scenes". There's a big difference between a translator "not translating H-scenes" and a game being released without h-scenes. There's nothing stopping someone else from translating the h-scenes. 

The original work had h-scenes. Cutting them off doesn't change the fact it originally had h-scenes. If you're saying translators cut them off because they're for perverts then you're admitting the original work was for perverts as well so why are you interested in it?

A translator that respects a work of literature would try and translate everything.

H-scenes are part of an eroge.

It's not a matter of being a pervert or not, it's a matter of stepping out of your comfort zone and translating h-scenes. If you don't like h-scenes why are you trying to translate a vn with h-scenes? There's plenty of great all ages vns out there, you don't need to go and cut off h-scenes of an eroge that has them there for a reason. If you liked an eroge's story and want to translate it, then respect the original work and translate the h-scenes as well since they were intended to be there.

Calling translators half assed when they don't translate h-scenes because they don't like them is not such a wrong term.

It's like a kid that doesn't want to eat their vegetables because they don't like it but want the rest of the dish. It's that childish in my opinion.

I get that you really hate h-scenes. You've said it plenty of times. But then you shouldn't try and read vns with h-scenes, there's many all ages vns for one to enjoy, you don't need to go after works that have h-scenes and feel that it's your duty to bash the fact they have sexual content. Are there people who enjoy it just for the faps? Yes, I'm not denying that by any means. But are there people who like it as part of the story? There certainly are as well. But whichever the reason, the work had those scenes to begin with, regardless of the target audience, so don't try and delete stuff that isn't meant to be deleted.

Basically what you are saying is if you don't like H-scenes don't read eroge and that is something that we already discussed in another topic and we sad it is not all that black and white there are people who like me don't like H but are willing to look past it for the sake of the story but would still enjoy it more if there weren't for H-scenes. Therefore, we are grateful for translator who are translating for our tastes and I found very rude to call those translators work half-assed just because their work thouse not suite your taste. You said "you don't need to go after works that have h-scenes and feel that it's your duty to bash the fact they have sexual content" but aren't thouse people doing the same just the opposite way? They go bashing translations for not translating toward their taste.

No, he is saying that when when you are doing full translation, you translate everything, not just the things you like.

Imagine translating a book where the hero dies and the translator cutting that part out because he didn't like it.

H is an important part of eroge and as such the translation of it is necessary for it to be considered a good translation release.

If they want to translate all-ages version of the game it is their choice, but as you can see there is a demand for the H scenes, biggest example is the konosora restoration project that added H scenes back in the game.

And Okami, we know your opinion on this, you told us 1000 times already, you don't have to start pointless arguments again. If you don't like the H there is plenty of all-ages and those often receive translation (key works and such) and have no H to translate.

But for other eroge, H is part of the game and project leaders should always try finding someone to translate them.

If H are such important part of an eroge then why nearly all companies that can afford it are also making all-ages releases of their titles. This is no different, except those all-ages version that translators are making aren't official.

And also this "you told us 1000 times already, you don't have to start pointless arguments again". Those this mean "I disagree with you so when thread about this topic come around don't show yourself into it we don't want to hear other side"?

If H are such important part of an eroge then why nearly all companies that can afford it are also making all-ages releases of their titles. This is no different, except those all-ages version that translators are making aren't official.

First of all, I won't enter on who is right or wrong here. To me, both you and Steve are being way too radical and I don't fully support either, since I think both are misusing originally valid points.

I will say one thing to your argument here, though- companies don't care about wether something is important or not. It's all about the money- if they think having an all ages version will give profit, they'll make it- if they don't think so, they won't. That's about it.

Basically what you are saying is if you don't like H-scenes don't read eroge and that is something that we already discussed in another topic and we sad it is not all that black and white there are people who like me don't like H but are willing to look past it for the sake of the story but would still enjoy it more if there weren't for H-scenes. Therefore, we are grateful for translator who are translating for our tastes and I found very rude to call those translators work half-assed just because their work thouse not suite your taste. You said "you don't need to go after works that have h-scenes and feel that it's your duty to bash the fact they have sexual content" but aren't thouse people doing the same just the opposite way? They go bashing translations for not translating toward their taste.

When you remove h-scenes in a translation you're "adapting" the eroge to those who don't like h-scenes. Leaving out those who want to see the whole product.

When you don't remove h-scenes, you're not leaving out anyone. Those who don't like them can merely skip them and still have the full experience they want.

Regardless of target audience, cutting out h-scenes because you don't like them personally is not respecting the original work.

Now I get that it's a fan translation, they can do whatever they want and I can't do anything about it. But I don't think it's ever right to censor any type of work that wasn't censored previously.

If you translate a release that was already all ages, that's fine.

But if you're translating an eroge and want to try and make it all ages that is not fine. The vn doesn't become better because you think it does.

Translators should at least try and make an effort to find someone to translate the h-scenes if they don't like them. But resiging to present an unfinished product because they think h-scenes are gross is in really poor taste in my opinion.

The only excuse I accept for not translating h-scenes is that they're hard to translate. That's a valid point as english in particular is a pretty crappy language for translating sexual content whereas japanese has a vast vocabulary fitting this purpose. But if it's too hard then they should find someone that's skilled enough for it and not resign themselves to cut it off completely. It's just a shame to crop things off of any work no matter what work it is.

This is not about being a pervert or not, this is about wanting the full product translated as a translation usually implies. 

And vn companies make all ages versions because they want to extend their target demographic so they can profit more in most cases, it has little to nothing to do with it being gross or not. And that's why they sometimes include extra stuff in the all ages version, because special content = more sales.

It is unrelated to what anyone thinks about the h-content really.

Okami, what you say is just incorrect, there are barely any companies who make all-ages releases of eroge.

One of the biggest reasons for all-ages port is a release on a sony console - sony doesn't allow 18+ content.

You are just starting arguments about this whenever you have the opportunity.

Eroge means erotic game so it will have the ero part, otherwise it is just a GE.

This topic has nothing to do with eroge vs all-ages though, yet you still managed to derail it into that discussion. You can discuss that in the "are H scenes necessary" topic if you want but not here.

So please return on topic, all off topic will be deleted.

On topic: It is translator's choice to only translate parts he likes, but then it will be considered incomplete and half-assed translation or partial patch - just like when you only translate a route you like and leave other routes untranslated - it is an incomplete project and should be viewed as such.

Nobody can force the translator to translate what he doesn't want to, but he then needs to accept that his translation will not be called a full patch - he has the option to find someone to finish his project.

When you remove h-scenes in a translation you're "adapting" the eroge to those who don't like h-scenes. Leaving out those who want to see the whole product.

When you don't remove h-scenes, you're not leaving out anyone. Those who don't like them can merely skip them and still have the full experience they want.

Regardless of target audience, cutting out h-scenes because you don't like them personally is not respecting the original work.

Now I get that it's a fan translation, they can do whatever they want and I can't do anything about it. But I don't think it's ever right to censor any type of work that wasn't censored previously.

If you translate a release that was already all ages, that's fine.

But if you're translating an eroge and want to try and make it all ages that is not fine. The vn doesn't become better because you think it does.

Translators should at least try and make an effort to find someone to translate the h-scenes if they don't like them. But resiging to present an unfinished product because they think h-scenes are gross is in really poor taste in my opinion.

The only excuse I accept for not translating h-scenes is that they're hard to translate. That's a valid point as english in particular is a pretty crappy language for translating sexual content whereas japanese has a vast vocabulary fitting this purpose. But if it's too hard then they should find someone that's skilled enough for it and not resign themselves to cut it off completely. It's just a shame to crop things off of any work no matter what work it is.

This is not about being a pervert or not, this is about wanting the full product translated as a translation usually implies. 

And vn companies make all ages versions because they want to extend their target demographic so they can profit more in most cases, it has little to nothing to do with it being gross or not. And that's why they sometimes include extra stuff in the all ages version, because special content = more sales.

It is unrelated to what anyone thinks about the h-content really.

You say that it is ok if you translate a title that was allredy All-ages but not if you are translating eroge but then what about when you have an eroge that also has an allages version too? That is also translating a work that originaly had H-scenes but translating a version that dosen't have them and should that be considerd a partial translation becouse it? Now the only question whould be if translators should be "alowed" to make thouse versions themself without company allredy having version like that. And I say yes.

You say that it is ok if you translate a title that was allredy All-ages but not if you are translating eroge but then what about when you have an eroge that also has an allages version too? That is also translating a work that originaly had H-scenes but translating a version that dosen't have them and should that be considerd a partial translation becouse it? Now the only question whould be if translators should be "alowed" to make thouse versions themself without company allredy having version like that. And I say yes.

You're missing the point.

Someone already said this before.

Those all ages versions that companies make are original. The author wrote them, they are adapted properly into all ages by the author.

They're not censored versions, they're not cropped, they're written in a way so that h-scenes are not included and it makes sense when you read it.

And the existence and translation of those is fine because that's an original work, it's unadulterated. You're not changing anything you're translating the entirety of the product which came out as all ages.

However, trying to make an all ages version of an eroge that doesn't have one already, that's not okay because you're cropping and editing on your own, the author didn't do it, you did, you're not respecting the original product and the original author's intent by cropping their work, thinking it's okay because there's other eroge that have all ages versions. It's not. 

And you're removing the full experience that eroge would be.

If the company didn't release an all ages version of that vn, you  shouldn't go ahead and try to make one thinking it's all cool.

If a translator tries to crop out h-scenes because they don't like it, they'll also have to live with the fact that their translation is not complete. It's partial and more importantly, it's censored and that's where the main problem lies and what I simply can't agree with.

You're missing the point.

Someone already said this before.

Those all ages versions that companies make are original. The author wrote them, they are adapted properly into all ages by the author.

They're not censored versions, they're not cropped, they're written in a way so that h-scenes are not included and it makes sense when you read it.

And the existence and translation of those is fine because that's an original work, it's unadulterated. You're not changing anything you're translating the entirety of the product which came out as all ages.

However, trying to make an all ages version of an eroge that doesn't have one already, that's not okay because you're cropping and editing on your own, the author didn't do it, you did, you're not respecting the original product and the original author's intent by cropping their work, thinking it's okay because there's other eroge that have all ages versions. It's not. 

And you're removing the full experience that eroge would be.

If the company didn't release an all ages version of that vn, you  shouldn't go ahead and try to make one thinking it's all cool.

If a translator tries to crop out h-scenes because they don't like it, they'll also have to live with the fact that their translation is not complete. It's partial and more importantly, it's censored and that's where the main problem lies and what I simply can't agree with.

And could you tell me why exacly is it not ok to change or censor origanal work? Becouse it is not something that autor decided himself? Well you do know that most of the time origanal autors work is allredy changed and censored like 100 times before reaching stores. So then why is it not ok for translators to have that right to censor it too? Oh and please don't give me crap about becouse they didn't put any money in production and such.

And could you tell me why exacly is it not ok to change or censor origanal work? Becouse it is not something that autor decided himself? Well you do know that most of the time origanal autors work is allredy changed and censored like 100 times before reaching stores. So then why is it not ok for translators to have that right to censor it too? Oh and please don't give me crap about becouse they didn't put any money in production and such.

Yes. It's exactly because the author didn't do it themselves that it's not okay to do it yourself.

Because you know that's how things are supposed to work. 

Or would you say it's okay if, imagine, I take a book written by you, translate it into my language and remove violent scenes from it because I think they're too violent and I don't like them without your consent. Would you enjoy that?

Is it really changed 100 times before reaching the stores? I'd like some sources to this statement.

My point still stands though. It is not okay to censor an original work by yourself because you think it's better. It's just the basics of respect.

Wether you like its content or not, it's how it was originally intended to be and no one aside from the people who produced it should have the right to censor it.

I'm sorry that you feel such hatred for h-scenes, i'm not saying you have to like them, but that doesn't change the fact that censoring an original work by yourself is not right and that's the point I'm trying to make.

If a translator leaves them out because they don't have the skill to translate it, that's one thing.

But if a translator leaves them out because they think it's gross, that's what's not right.

But then again, i'm not the one translating so whatever it's their decision, i'm just one individual on the internet.

Yes. It's exactly because the author didn't do it themselves that it's not okay to do it yourself.

Or would you say it's okay if, imagine, I take a book written by you, translate it into my language and remove violent scenes from it because I think they're too violent and I don't like them without your consent. Would you enjoy that?

Is it really changed 100 times before reaching the stores? I'd like some sources to this statement.

My point still stands though. It is not okay to censor an original work by yourself because you think it's better. It's just the basics of respect.

Wether you like its content or not, it's how it was originally intended to be and no one aside from the people who produced it should have the right to censor it.

I'm sorry that you feel such hatred for h-scenes, i'm not saying you have to like them, but that doesn't change the fact that censoring an original work by yourself is not right and that's the point I'm trying to make.

If a translator leaves them out because they don't have the skill to translate it, that's one thing.

But if a translator leaves them out because they think it's gross, that's what's not right.

But then again, i'm not the one translating so whatever it's their decision, i'm just one individual on the internet.

Maybe in some ideal world but in reality the one sponsoring production is the one making final desidions not the one making it. Who knows how many of Autors didn't even wan't to add sexual content to their work but are forced to do so by director and others above him. There is really no way of knowing what autor himself created and what was forced on him to add or changed by thouse above him. I thought that this is too obvoius for anyone to ask for sources of it. So from my point of viev there is nothing wrong to censore something to suit tastes of people that you are making that something when it was censored and changed 100 times allredy in the past.

And for your question about if I had book and you change it, if I didn't planed to release my book to teritory that you are bringing that book by translating it I wouldn't care.

Just to answer the question (and make the thread more broad- to include official translations, such as if my heart had wings)- if they paid me beforehand, they can do whatever they want. Censor it, change it, write a completely different story and only use the title- they have my blessings.

If they didn't pay me, well, they better have a good lawyer. Who gave them permission to use my work at all?

I would like to point out that your whole argument here is based on respect, nii-chan. And if we're talking respect, is it really ok for you to take someone else's work, translate it and put it for free without even asking that person? As the example I gave above, if someone took something I made and translated it without even asking me first, I'd be incredibly pissed at them, and a lot of the original authors do (the only fan translations I've seen that got the OK from the original author were the ones Witch Hunt made)- since you're doing something those authors mostly find disrespectful, can you even ask for respect from the fan translators at all?~

By the way, these aren't my actual views on the matter. I, as always, am neutral to the whole thing- I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing here (it's pretty fun!)

Maybe in some ideal world but in reality the one sponsoring production is the one making final desidions not the one making it. Who knows how many of Autors didn't even wan't to add sexual content to their work but are forced to do so by director and others above him. There is really no way of knowing what autor himself created and what was forced on him to add or changed by thouse above him. I thought that this is too obvoius for anyone to ask for sources of it. So from my point of viev there is nothing wrong to censore something to suit tastes of people that you are making that something when it was censored and changed 100 times allredy in the past.

And for your question about if I had book and you change it, if I didn't planed to release my book to teritory that you are bringing that book by translating it I wouldn't care.

I think that's a bit too extreme.

No author is forced to do anything they don't want to. Certainly the company they are working for most likely has rights to edit what they feel like editing and censor it if they feel is right but they can't force him to write h-scenes if he doesn't want to. Slavery has been abolished as far as i recall.

But that's the company who produces it. They are the owners of the product.

And those companies who license it also have the right to alter it since they paid money for it so the original company gave them consent to.

Which is not the case of fan translators.

Just to answer the question (and make the thread more broad- to include official translations, such as if my heart had wings)- if they paid me beforehand, they can do whatever they want. Censor it, change it, write a completely different story and only use the title- they have my blessings.

If they didn't pay me, well, they better have a good lawyer. Who gave them permission to use my work at all?

I would like to point out that your whole argument here is based on respect, nii-chan. And if we're talking respect, is it really ok for you to take someone else's work, translate it and put it for free without even asking that person? As the example I gave above, if someone took something I made and translated it without even asking me first, I'd be incredibly pissed at them, and a lot of the original authors do (the only fan translations I've seen that got the OK from the original author were the ones Witch Hunt made)- since you're doing something those authors mostly find disrespectful, can you even ask for respect from the fan translators at all?~

By the way, these aren't my actual views on the matter. I, as alwaus, am neutral to the whole thing- I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing here (it's pretty fun!)

I do understand fan translations are already meddling with original work and authors don't like it, but it's exactly because of that a fan translator should do their best to at least show their respect for the original work and try to make the translation as good and accurate as possible without cropping stuff out and bring the vn exactly how it was originally to other people so they are interested in the original author's works.

This increases the vn's popularity and that's the kind of respect I think should be shown, not censored copies made by fans, that's not bringing out the original work that's trying to make it into your image.

Aaeru even wrote about this: https://fuwanovel.net/faq/spreading-culture-increases-supporters

But again, it's the translator's choice, they can censor if they want to, they'll just have to deal with criticism after because  they censored a work that wasn't like that orignally, and we know how that ends up *cough* moenovel *cough*.

If they give a decent excuse like not being able to translate it that's kind of acceptable but other than that you're just being half assed.

I'm kind of already repeating myself here already so unless some new point is being made I'm pretty done here. Already made my point.

If you're a translator, you do just that - translate. Unless you're the author, you aren't really in a position to decide what should and shouldn't be there. The author put those H-scene there for a reason, whether because they thought they would genuinely add to the experience or just to sell more copies. Changing it in the author's stead is basically saying that you know what's best for the VN better than the author does.

Imagine the opposite - if a team picked up the translation of a completely all-ages VN, Clannad for example, found a couple of artists and added sloppily done H-scenes. Certainly, there's people who would thank them for it, but something tells me you would be one of the first people to be outraged about it.