Why the dislike for BL?

Yukiru

With a certain thread that came up just recently I wondered, why do people like Yuri yet dislike Yaoi?

They are essentially the same thing, Yuri just happens to have breasts.

I've heard BL is more romantic and less lewd but I've never tried it to find out or anything. So, why do you dislike BL? 

Well it's not that I hate it, but I won't play it because I have no interest in seeing romance between males, it's even worse if there will be H-scenes, I don't want to be homophobic but for me that would be disgusting to see. Yuri I can play, I have no problem with it, I even find it cute.

Like there are men that dont like yuri. There are ladies that dont like yaoi.

I personally play BL games cause I like the story not for the lovely boy on boy action.

I think it is fair to say BL is targeting females, yet our forum has a rather small percentage of females. Hence reduced interest in BL

I think it is fair to say BL is targeting females, yet our forum has a rather small percentage of females. Hence reduced interest in BL

On the lemma forums there's a thread asking why yuri games are so unpopular. It also questions why there's a greater interest in otome and yaoi games  :D

It is very much about the demographic.

I prefer Shounen-ai than Yaoi.
Also I hate pretentious fans who like Yaoi just to fit in.

At first i thought I was into yaoi, and my first shipping was SasuXNaru, but after taking a glimpse of hardcore BL, I realized I'm not really fund of two guys doing something...... intimately.........
The butthole thing still creeps me out, and after seeing two real people doing it... I...backed out.

I have this realization, what if my boyfriend is doing this...and gave me the shivers.

I'm okay with shounen-ai though, it makes my heart plump for some reason. Maybe because the chemistry of two characters are well written., and probably more well written than most Shoujo stories I've read/seen.

I like Yuri too, strawberry panic is a favorite of mine. But for some reason, I can't like Yuri in OELVN's. I don't know...I don't it fits..or maybe I'm biased with JP women..hahaha ^^;

Most of the people here on fuwanovel are males, there's another forum which is the complete opposite of here and full of females.

I'll honestly admit, I think Yaoi is disgusting. But not because I dislike male homosexuals. I simply am not interested in seeing two males with each other. Do I support homosexuality in both genders? Absolutely. Do I think two homosexual males walking down the street holding hands is cute? Yeah, maybe. I certainly love my Yuri, but perhaps it's because of the public stereotype that guys love yuri and girls love yaoi.

Something about two females being with each other interests me so much more.

As for why people hate on it, I agree with Aniki.

People have different fetishes. That's all there is to it.

That's really all it comes down to.

Call me weird but I'm a straight male and I don't care for yuri very much. I might even prefer male romance to it because I do find myself being attracted to "dreamy/badass" anime dudes.

By the way, to answer OP, people who say they like yuri but dislike yaoi are dudes. There's your answer.

I can personally enjoy male on male romance as well. I really dig bromances in games/anime and the actual romance is just taking that a step further I guess. I don't care for guys screwing, I don't particularly find it disgusting but since I'm a guy, I don't find it arousing at all. I am just indifferent to it. That's all.

If you find it disgusting or go "eww", I do think you might be subconsciously homophobic to a certain extent even if you deny it. I'm not gonna judge you, we're all different and as long as you're not hateful I'll respect your choice, but it does seem like that way to me.

Personal tastes really.

I as a heterosexual male like females. In Yuri both characters are females and thus I as a male enjoy seeing such a relationship being depicted.

In BL both characters are males, i have no interest in males physically or emotionally, therefore I can not feel attracted to BL personally and as such do not enjoy the genre.

Do I hate BL? Absolutely not. I just can't connect to it in any way, but it is a genre that can be enjoyed like any other, just not by me particularly.

TL;DR

I like cute girls, therefore yuri has double the cuteness, therefore yuri is superior.

With a certain thread that came up just recently I wondered, why do people like Yuri yet dislike Yaoi?

I've heard BL is more romantic and less lewd but I've never tried it to find out or anything. So, why do you dislike BL? 

Because the majority of people who enter the site are male. Yuri is a well-estabilished male fetish, while yaoi is more uncommon- that's all there is to it.

Personal tastes really.

I as a heterosexual male like females. In Yuri both characters are females and thus I as a male enjoy seeing such a relationship being depicted.

In BL both characters are males, i have no interest in males physically or emotionally, therefore I can not feel attracted to BL personally and as such do not enjoy the genre.

Do I hate BL? Absolutely not. I just can't connect to it in any way, but it is a genre that can be enjoyed like any other, just not by me particularly.

^

It's really convenient when people post exactly what you feel. Then you can just quote them...

Well it's not that I hate it, but I won't play it because I have no interest in seeing romance between males, it's even worse if there will be H-scenes, I don't want to be homophobic but for me that would be disgusting to see. Yuri I can play, I have no problem with it, I even find it cute.

This really

Yeah we have more males than females. And for males It is normal liking girls and in the yuri they do cute and hot things. But it is not normal liking the same sex (tis gaay xD).

As for females I can't really say for sure since I am not one, but from what I've read about it it goes something like this:

Females have tendencies to get closer to each other, if only as friends (just 2 girls), family (mother and daughter or even 2 sisters) or lovers, and they 'generally' seem on the same side (I'm talking between people you like), female friends can kiss each other, hold each other and such. Where as males are more competitive between each other, even friends who like each other will fight 'for fun', 2 brothers will not hold hands, they will fight for whatever reason, even though they love each other. Now I don't just mean physical fighting, I mean the general notion of competition between males - that's just how we are.

So males usually express love with aggresion, competition and such - so when seeing 2 guys being lovey-dovey with each other, it is something super abnormal and for many (like me) revolting and disgusting.

But when seeing females like that, it is something we are used to, girls at school were holding hands, hugging each other, saying farewell with a kiss on a cheek and stuff - sure it was not like in the yuri genre (that involves strong romantic relations and often sexual things), but it is much closer to what we are used to.

So yeah, I think that's why people don't generally like BL, it is just too distant from anything we know and like.

It's not like dislike for it as much as I have never played and I have no interest in playing it. It's kind of like if a friend introduced me to an album he likes and I don't listen to it, it's not because I hate the band but because I'm just genrally disinterested. Who knows, maybe if I read BL or otome then maybe I would like it, but as it stands it's a disinterest. The same actually goes with yuri as well. *Runs away* 

It's not like dislike for it as much as I have never played and I have no interest in playing it. It's kind of like if a friend introduced me to an album he likes and I don't listen to it, it's not because I hate the band but because I'm just genrally disinterested. Who knows, maybe if I read BL or otome then maybe I would like it, but as it stands it's a disinterest. The same actually goes with yuri as well. *Runs away* 

Wow, I thought I was the only guy around here that wasn't at least mildly interested in yuri.  Come be abnormal with me.  We have hats!

For the most part, yeah. Uhh, I'm not really interested in it. Though, if you gave the a choice between yuri and yaoi, and forced me to choose one, I'd probably choose yuri... Uhh, I'm a guy, and if I had to guess, there are a number of guys who'd just prefer girls over guys. If there's any sort of hate, it's probably just from the fact they're uncomfortable about it.

Hey. To some guys, breasts make the world to them. I have to say though, it's not really a simplistic matter of +breasts or -breasts. The opposite gender has plenty of things that make it unique and likable to a person, and I think it's natural for lots of people to just like one more than another.

I think this post also answers my question why there's not a lot of otome games on here either... I love yaoi since I was 15 or so and for a while, I didn't understand the appeal of yuri till I finally matured. It's a little sad there's not a lot BL topics around Fuwa, much less otome games but I hope it'll change in the future! I like this forum and these people and I don't want to just abandon everyone so soon~

I basically dislike BL because it just feels wrong for me. I don't look at dudes in anyway sexual or romantic way. Other guys can be your bro's and such. Dudes are not supposed to be girly and submissve or whatever in my head. There a people who are like that, but it's hardly the norm. I know of gay people in real life and they aren't that different from other people. One of them I know are very sosical and a great dude. He's a better man than a lot hetro people I know.

On to the subject yuri, shortly said. Girl on girl is hot. Nuff said.

Most of the guys that I know that supposedly hate gay people and guy x guy relationships only do so to keep their own sexuality from coming under question.  In my experiences in middle and high school, if a guy didn't act competitive or aggressive in some way, he was either labeled as geeky/nerdy or gay.  Most of the jocks continuously harassed people for supposedly being gay to cement their own sexuality; kind of an extreme example, but think of the Salem witch trials.  Unless you accused somebody else of being a witch, you would most likely get accused of witchcraft yourself.  It makes them feel more masculine and more sure of their own sexuality.  It also meant that they were incredibly insecure, but still.  I think that that mentality stays with people after they grow up, and when they think of homosexual relationships, they think of "undesirable" male qualities that are said to be bad by our society.  Either that, or people just fear what they don't understand.  No offense meant to people here that are uncomfortable with homosexual relationships, this is just my two bits on the subject.