The Best Visual Novel Machine Translator

MDruidd

Tool  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Machine Translator

• VN Reader
    • AGTH + ITH
    • Textractor

So, I want to bring back this topic because there are so many good damn Japanese visual novels. I already try using VNReader but you know... on my pc getting not responding sometimes, then right now, i use textractor+ chiitrans right now with online/google as the main translator
or maybe there is a new machine translator that i dont know

Which is the best machine translator for this year?
I want to hear your opinion

Edited by MDruidd

20 minutes ago, Asonn said:

DeepL is by far the best. I might now have told anyone this, but all my doujins are translated this way. I even fooled (((professional))) translators and they think I know Japanese. LMAO what a bunch of morons. 

i mean for reading visual novel bro. how do you use it ?
This is new for me. I already check it and yes its good, but on textractor there is no DL api for DeepL.

Edited by MDruidd

2 minutes ago, Asonn said:

I just write down the Japanese myself on the website. After all it's hella easy to just scribble down those foreign Chinese looking things. 

so you do manually?
uhh... the textractor got the DeepL but no key api for use it :(

But seriously, when it comes to the translation bit, all MTLs are still horrible if you want to just read and enjoy the story and (more importantly) dialogues. DeepL is better than Google at using (or guessing) the context if you give it some - but it still isn't reliable enough to be used as a VN translation tool for someone who doesn't know Japanese at all. It can only be sometimes a little useful to double-check your own translation ideas. Or to translate simple, "neutral" texts, like informations/announcements from web pages etc - basically things that are following grammar rules ;) But it will fail with distorted casual speech and short, incomplete sentences often found in VN dialogues.

So text hookers (AGTH, Textractor etc) are useful as dictionaries (the option "display original text" in Chiitrans, when it shows you dictionary entries for the words as you hover over them), so they make reading untranslated VNs easier if you already know some basic Japanese, but relying solely on MTL is still bad idea.

Edited by adamstan

8 hours ago, adamstan said:

But seriously, when it comes to the translation bit, all MTLs are still horrible if you want to just read and enjoy the story and (more importantly) dialogues. DeepL is better than Google at using (or guessing) the context if you give it some - but it still isn't reliable enough to be used as a VN translation tool for someone who doesn't know Japanese at all. It can only be sometimes a little useful to double-check your own translation ideas. Or to translate simple, "neutral" texts, like informations/announcements from web pages etc - basically things that are following grammar rules ;) But it will fail with distorted casual speech and short, incomplete sentences often found in VN dialogues.

So text hookers (AGTH, Textractor etc) are useful as dictionaries (the option "display original text" in Chiitrans, when it shows you dictionary entries for the words as you hover over them), so they make reading untranslated VNs easier if you already know some basic Japanese, but relying solely on MTL is still bad idea.

yes i using textractor+ chiitrans for mini-dictionary for read it. but someone telling like u if deepL is better than google.
but the problem is DeepL need an api key

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Machine translation is a lie, and Japanese translation is an oxymoron.

well true, but if there no eng patch plus cant understanding japanese, this is the best solution to read RAW VN,

anyway, what is oxymoron?

11 hours ago, MDruidd said:

well true, but if there no eng patch plus cant understanding japanese, this is the best solution to read RAW VN,

anyway, what is oxymoron?

An inherently contradictory statement/a statement or word that contradicts itself.

Edit: To be a bit less snide, Japanese doesn't translate well enough to dignify the word.  It can be interpreted, it can be channeled, etc, but translated isn't the word I'd use for our attempts to get across what is being said/written.  The more you learn about the language, the more you realize how incompatible the way of thinking and cultural background is with English.  It's like the way the native Hawaiians have so many words for the various forms of molten rock... nuance is the first sacrifice of any attempt to translate a language that different from our own.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, Asonn said:

I just write down the Japanese myself on the website. After all it's hella easy to just scribble down those foreign Chinese looking things. 

Yep that works for me too and best part is the sentences makes sense more often that not. And if they don't all you gotta do is write the sentence on jisho and compare the results. I was able to get a grasp on the context 90% of the times using this trick.

Basically, machine translators are Google and Bing. As for the tools, they differ mostly by support of Google/Bing/Dictionaries. Pretty much every mentioned program extracts text threads well or supports hook addition. It's good that there is choice. Older OS only support older tools while weak netbooks are limited with less resource-dependent tools. I recommend Textractor just because it's a single tool for everything and I don't want to explain nuances to everyone when I can just say "Textractor" and maybe give a link to the guide.

3 hours ago, kivandopulus said:

Basically, machine translators are Google and Bing. As for the tools, they differ mostly by support of Google/Bing/Dictionaries. Pretty much every mentioned program extracts text threads well or supports hook addition. It's good that there is choice. Older OS only support older tools while weak netbooks are limited with less resource-dependent tools. I recommend Textractor just because it's a single tool for everything and I don't want to explain nuances to everyone when I can just say "Textractor" and maybe give a link to the guide.

But is textractor really enough? I mean, yes it can extract the texts but there have been times when it messed up like showing duplicate words and sentences. 

2 hours ago, kivandopulus said:

Duplicate words and sentences only sometimes showed up for me with Repetition Filter 1. As soon as I changed it for Repetition Filter 2, never had problems ever again. This extension approach is very flexible.

still, there are other issues as well. Like I was trying to play a game made using tyrano sript and textractor wouldn't attach to it however times I tried. I tried all sorts of things but it just wouldn't attach to it. The only few times it had worked perfectly for me was on older games or those made with kirikiri engine

5 hours ago, Spooky Saint said:

still, there are other issues as well. Like I was trying to play a game made using tyrano sript and textractor wouldn't attach to it however times I tried. I tried all sorts of things but it just wouldn't attach to it. The only few times it had worked perfectly for me was on older games or those made with kirikiri engine

i have no problem to use textractor until now, i just find manually that matched on text game result on textractor to find the result.

Definitely did not try anything with tyrano script. Can only say that a lot of engines were added to Textractor in later versions. The most trouble I had were Java games like Tsui no Sora that perfectly attached to ITHVNR though. For the toughest nuts to crack I apply Cheat Engine + HookAnyText, works like a charm, but can't be used on general basis due to the fact that HAT works on Java and freezes every couple hours.

• 6 months later...

Hello! ^^ I'm completely new here so I don't know the rules yet. Sorry if replying to an old thread like this goes against the rules.

I signed up just to tell you about DeepL. The accuracy of this service is really really high. You can actually understand perfectly what's being said. I use Textractor and the DeepL application together. You can get DeepL in the official website here: https://www.deepl.com/en/app/ First you have to set up Textractor, find hooks and all that. Make sure DeepL is open and you can see it on the screen. Highlight the original Japanese text that Textractor extracts and then press ctrl+c twice (hold ctrl and press c twice) The text will be translated in the DeepL app. This is slightly more work than the other methods but at least you don't have to manually copy and paste into the box... and the translation is actually quite accurate! ^^

I think Textractor's translation is alright. It makes sense most of the time but sometimes when it doesn't, I just use DeepL. I'm using ppsspp but it should work for other PC VNs too. As you can see DeepL produces a more understandable translation compared to Textractor's translation:

SchOtKC.png

Edited by Sapphire
Added screenshot

Deepl is better at guessing context, and using the one provided (if there is one). Also, it always tries its best to produce naturally sounding English. But it still can sometimes get things COMPLETELY WRONG - which the reader who doesn't know Japanese won't be able to detect, because it will sound good - not like the utter gibberish Google would spit out in such cases ;) So still - proceed with caution.

No matter which service you are using, reading MTL is always kind of detective work ;)

Edited by adamstan

• 5 months later...

I've been working on a tool that  incorporates texthooker, translation, OCR, script matching, and popup dictionary.

I have only shared it on the learn japanese subreddit and language learning discords. 

translate-enabled

More information:

Texthooker is a wrapper around Textractor, but I wrote my own text processing. (Textractor only works on Windows so text hooking is only available on the windows release).

Translation is provided by three online services: DeepL, Papago, and Google Translate. Translation services like DeepL may be limited for a single IP address.

OCR is provided locally by Tesseract or online by OCR Space. It's helpful when you can't hook a game or when the hook doesn't work sometimes. You can improve OCR within the app by applying image filters. 

Script matching is a technique that automatically matches the OCR result to your game script to find the correct line. So far it has been very promising for games like Persona 4, Pokemon Dungeons, Nier Automata provided you have a clean game script.

Popup dictionary is a browser extension such as Yomichan or Rikaichan you can use with your browser.  Since the app runs in your browser, you can use whatever popup dictionary you are already using.

There are other language learning related features like Anki integration, but I suppose this app could be helpful for people who are just looking to translate their game. 

If you prefer to use another translation aggregator or service, you can simply enable output-to-clipboard in the app and have chiitrans to translate your clipboard or manually paste it in your browser.

1 hour ago, Pudding321 said:

I've been working on a tool that  incorporates texthooker, translation, OCR, script matching, and popup dictionary.

Cool! That sounds interesting. If it works, it could finally replace my Chiitrans Lite + ITH_VNR combo. Considering Chiitrans most favortite hobby is crashing nowadays, and parts or it aren't even working anymore, I wouldn't exactly be depressed to get rid of it.

Deeptl is good enough for simple vn's. You'll understand whats going on but details can make you go nuts. Genders are almost always mistaken and sometimes they say stuff that makes no sense, but the next sentence might make the whole scene click anyway. Thats my experience using it at least.