moenovel is releasing "A sky full of stars"

ratboi

18 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

They said that about If My Heart Had Wings. And it was accurate then.
Clearly, their mentality has changed since then, or so would the Steam Page images imply.

Kore wa kore, sore wa sore. As "sky stars" is an idealogical continuation of IMHHW, all 12 year old french girls should demand that they keep their word. Especially after failing to amass comparable sales with LoveKami.

23 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

I mean, that game still got censored in the western release, so their policy seems to hold tight.

And so goes the full circle back into "no H-Scenes = 12 year old French girls".
Fine, whatever. Go show naked women in the bath to 12 year old French girls or whatever. It's got soap covering the nipple so it's fine. All Ages content.

1 minute ago, Mr Poltroon said:

And so goes the full circle back into "no H-Scenes = 12 year old French girls".
Fine, whatever. Go show naked women in the bath to 12 year old French girls or whatever. It's got soap covering the nipple so it's fine. All Ages content.

The circle does that because that is the literal reason why Moenovel censored If my heart had wings in the first place. They wanted to market eroge to kids, for some absurd reason, and stuck with that policy.
There is nothing special about that one CG with some soap over a nipple in LoveKami; even If my heart had wings had certain "slightly lewd" CGs still intact, just censored. There is tons of other CGs they just straight up removed from Love Kami, without replacing them with anything. These aren't all-ages ports, they are just the normal version with content literally cut out.

You might be fine with having your games censored, but many people people aren't. I personally won't support a company that keeps doing this. Lucky for me I can read the original, but that's not the case for many western fans, so when a game gets censored without any way to restore the original content, it's stuck in that incomplete version forever or until some saint like Pabloc shows up to fix Moenovel's mess. (And people who are willing to do that are rare.)

Just now, Dergonu said:

The circle does that because that is the literal reason why Moenovel censored If my heart had wings in the first place. They wanted to market eroge to kids, for some absurd reason, and stuck with that policy.
There is nothing special about that one CG with some soap over a nipple in LoveKami; even If my heart had wings had certain "slightly lewd" CGs still intact, just censored. There is tons of other CGs they just straight up removed from Love Kami, without replacing them with anything. These aren't all-ages ports, they are just the normal version with content literally cut out.

You might be fine with having your games censored, but many people people aren't. I personally won't support a company that keeps doing this. Lucky for me I can read the original, but that's not the case for many western fans, so when a game gets censored without any way to restore the original content, it's stuck in that incomplete version forever or until some saint like Pabloc shows up to fix Moenovel's mess. (And people who are willing to do that are rare.)

My argument was that the policy doesn't hold, because they tried, with the LoveKami games, to tap into the lewd market that the Sakura games are primarily associated with. This is most definitely incompatible with the idea of 12 year old French girls.

Sure, the censorship is still in place, but that doesn't mean they tried to sell LoveKami to little girls. They very much didn't. They couldn't release H-Scenes because someone up top or they themselves don't want to, so they marketed it towards the people looking for ecchi (since it is, primarily, a game about girls in skimpy outfits taking questionably risqué poses). Not 12 year old French girls.

If My Heart Had Wings was primarily a romance/story game. They wanted it to be fine for kids so they removed any material that might not be good for them, including kissing scenes. If My Heart Had Wings is not, like LoveKami, a game primarily about making girls take revealing poses. It was not primarily an ecchi game.

This is why LoveKami was not targeted at little girls. Which I happened to find obvious, and why my currently foul mood has helped make my posts have a somewhat harsher tone than I fully intend.

So, yes. Their policy has changed at least once. No H-Scenes does not necessarily equal a target audience that includes 12 year old French girls.

I reserve all judgements on this new game until I learn of what they do with it. Removing H-Scenes from it could make it marketable to younger audiences, but if they're keeping consistency, they'll also remove or alter any references to sex or explicit kissing -- and that's when I'll claim that they're using the same policy they used for IMHHW.
If they don't, then anything short of actually showing a nipple or a genital is fair game, according to the position they took with the LoveKami games*.

*I played Divinity Stage. They literally have scenes of Kagura trying to take off all her clothes or exposing her lower half. This would be unthinkable in If My Heart Had Wings (which got all sorts of things altered or censored).

15 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

My argument was that the policy doesn't hold, because they tried, with the LoveKami games, to tap into the lewd market that the Sakura games are primarily associated with. This is most definitely incompatible with the idea of 12 year old French girls.

Sure, the censorship is still in place, but that doesn't mean they tried to sell LoveKami to little girls. They very much didn't. They couldn't release H-Scenes because someone up top or they themselves don't want to, so they marketed it towards the people looking for ecchi (since it is, primarily, a game about girls in skimpy outfits taking questionably risqué poses). Not 12 year old French girls.

If My Heart Had Wings was primarily a romance/story game. They wanted it to be fine for kids so they removed any material that might not be good for them, including kissing scenes. If My Heart Had Wings is not, like LoveKami, a game primarily about making girls take revealing poses. It was not primarily an ecchi game.

This is why LoveKami was not targeted at little girls. Which I happened to find obvious, and why my currently foul mood has helped make my posts have a somewhat harsher tone than I fully intend.

So, yes. Their policy has changed at least once. No H-Scenes does not necessarily equal a target audience that includes 12 year old French girls.

I reserve all judgements on this new game until I learn of what they do with it. Removing H-Scenes from it could make it marketable to younger audiences, but if they're keeping consistency, they'll also remove or alter any references to sex or explicit kissing -- and that's when I'll claim that they're using the same policy they used for IMHHW.
If they don't, then anything short of actually showing a nipple or a genital is fair game, according to the position they took with the LoveKami games*.

*I played Divinity Stage. They literally have scenes of Kagura trying to take off all her clothes or exposing her lower half. This would be unthinkable in If My Heart Had Wings (which got all sorts of things altered or censored).

Okay, so they changed their policy from 12 year old girls to horny 14 year olds. 

The issue still remains that they are censoring all their games. You speak as if removing all 18+ content from eroge isn't censorship. If they made proper all-ages ports, that would be something, but they just straight up cut out all 18+ material. That's taking 3 steps back from all the good stuff that has happened to the western VN market the past few years, which is why this company angers me greatly. They represent what's wrong with VN localization. 

4 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Okay, so they changed their policy from 12 year old girls to horny 14 year olds. 

The issue still remains that they are censoring all their games. You speak as if removing all 18+ content from eroge isn't censorship. If they made proper all-ages ports, that would be something, but they just straight up cut out all 18+ material. That's taking 3 steps back from all the good stuff that has happened to the western VN market the past few years, which is why this company angers me greatly. They represent what's wrong with VN localization. 

Okay.
My only claim was that they weren't marketing the game toward 12 year old French girls necessarily.

Please don't take anything else from my posts because the above is all I meant. I didn't mean to make any other judgements.

1 hour ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

Damn. And I was looking forward to this VN for so long, and then I hear that it's MoeNovel who is going to release it!

My disappointment cannot be measured in human standards.

Dunno whom you´ve expected to, but wasn´t it obvious from the beginning? Like since Moenovel IS Pulltop & vice-versa, so there you have it, regrettably so.

I see the whole thing pretty relaxed. When Konosora was released is was a brand new high quality VN amongst lots of old and average stuff. At that time it stood out and therefore it did really hurt that it was censored that way.

But nowadays there are so many new and good releases from all kinds of publishers that it got almost impossible to keep up with all the new stuff anyway. So I'm almost grateful to get a reason to skip this one - there are lots of replacements to fill the gap.

Moenovel doesn't care even the slightest bit about the English fan base, they only care about their sales. They therefore never had to reconsider their policy since Konosora sold great. So if anyone really wants Moenovel to get a change of mind, the best thing is to just not buy the title in this state. If sales are poor they might reconsider, but if sales are still good, why should they change anything?

Edited by ChaosRaven

6 hours ago, SaintOfVoid said:

Dunno whom you´ve expected to, but wasn´t it obvious from the beginning? Like since Moenovel IS Pulltop & vice-versa, so there you have it, regrettably so.

You'd be surprised at what I do and don't know. I found out today that MoeNovel is Pulltop. Extra disappointment. Also, Koi suru Natsu no Last Resort wasn't TLed by MN, and that's a Pulltop title.

4 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I see the whole thing pretty relaxed. When Konosora was released is was a brand new high quality VN amongst lots of old and average stuff. At that time it stood out and therefore it did really hurt that it was censored that way.

But nowadays there are so many new and good releases from all kinds of publishers that it got almost impossible to keep up with all the new stuff anyway. So I'm almost grateful to get a reason to skip this one - there are lots of replacements to fill the gap.

Moenovel doesn't care even the slightest bit about the English fan base, they only care about their sales. They therefore never had to reconsider their policy since Konosora sold great. So if anyone really wants Moenovel to get a change of mind, the best thing is to just not buy the title in this state. If sales are poor they might reconsider, but if sales are still good, why should they change anything?

Yep. 99% sure that the TL will be butchered terribly. This is one of the few times I'll wait for a review first, and even then I'll think twice before giving them money.

Edited by Noumi Kudryavka

19 minutes ago, Nier said:

Could this mean that there might just be some hope for an 18+ patch?

cY1hFi5.png

No, those tags are chosen by users I think. Most VNs gets that tag, even if they don't actually have nudity, cuz #steam. Might also be a marketing tactic to make horny 14 year olds click on the game.  

Those tags were added by Moenovel, including the "nudity" tag. That tag is often used for partial nudity, however. 

Still, as Mr. Poltroon said (and was misunderstood for saying), Moenovel's censorship policies have definitely changed since IMHHW. If you're concerned that the game will be completely sanitized for little children with everything even slightly questionable altered, then I think it's at least somewhat likely that won't be the case here.