A Different Kind of VN Company - Your Feedback Wanted

EcchiOujisama

I was having lunch with a pal and we got to talking about VNs. I mentioned that I was working on translating a Majikoi game and we went into some thought experiments about about translated VNs commercially. We both understand that sales figures for English VNs really aren't high enough to do it purely for the money so it would be more about producing a labor of love without taking a bath of it.

It's definitely not going to be today or tomorrow, and we'd have to find a Japanese partner interested interested in getting money for doing nothing on an English release, which can be more difficult than you would think. 

These are some of the things we discussed, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts as potential customers on any/all of them.

-Without getting into an argument of whether an Americanized or literal translation is better, would you be open to paying 2 or 3 USD more for both scripts to be included with an option to switch between them? The thinking on my end is that no one who pays should feel like they got a "bad" translation unless it's inaccurate, and that should cover the cost of producing an extra translation and doing whatever needs to be done to the game to have a 2 script option.

-Piracy isn't going away, and inconveniencing the paying customer as an attempt to get around it is not an acceptable solution. What could we do to make you choose to support a release that interests you?

-For a long list of reasons, the company would be based in Hong Kong. Does that bother you for some reason? Prices would still be in USD. 

-Would you be interested in a commercial release of something that already has a decent translation like Majikoi, Bunny Black or Monster Girl Quest? If you are, what would we have to do to make you want to buy it over using the free translations?

-If we build it, will you come? Let's say we hold a launch party/convention in Hong Kong (access to tons of Japanese stuff and Japanese-style arcades plus the awesomeness of Hong Kong) or Thailand (where you can live like a nukige hero for 100 USD or less per day). Are you interested in making the trip? Think combination anime convention/single otaku's paradise getaway. With the amount of red tape there is in the US and EU it would be cheaper for to fly there than pay what we'd have to charge to justify those headaches. I'm not sure there if would be enough interest to break even on something like this, but if you have suggestions for things you'd pay to be a part of, panels with seiyuu/writers and a translator or whatever, I'm all ears.

-How much does a Steam release mean to you? I don't know what their percentage is, but it's something, and my first inclination would be to charge you less rather than build that into the price.

-Would you buy merchandise like dakimakura covers or whatever else from a translation company? As a collector I'm primarily interested in Japanese merchandise, so I understand the sentiment.

-I know I won't be able to do everything myself, and view people I'd work with to deliver the final product as partners in the process that should receive a royalty on every sale. Would knowing your purchase directly supports everyone involved in creating the final product, rather than me outsourcing it to some guy in India for 100 bucks and putting the rest directly into my nuru massage fund, make you more/less/as likely to support the final release?  

Your thoughts are appreciated.:sachi:

4 minutes ago, EcchiOujisama said:

I was having lunch with a pal and we got to talking about VNs. I mentioned that I was working on translating a Majikoi game and we went into some thought experiments about about translated VNs commercially. We both understand that sales figures for English VNs really aren't high enough to do it purely for the money so it would be more about producing a labor of love without taking a bath of it.

It's definitely not going to be today or tomorrow, and we'd have to find a Japanese partner interested interested in getting money for doing nothing on an English release, which can be more difficult than you would think. 

These are some of the things we discussed, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts as potential customers on any/all of them.

-Without getting into an argument of whether an Americanized or literal translation is better, would you be open to paying 2 or 3 USD more for both scripts to be included with an option to switch between them? The thinking on my end is that no one who pays should feel like they got a "bad" translation unless it's inaccurate, and that should cover the cost of producing an extra translation and doing whatever needs to be done to the game to have a 2 script option.

-Piracy isn't going away, and inconveniencing the paying customer as an attempt to get around it is not an acceptable solution. What could we do to make you choose to support a release that interests you?

-For a long list of reasons, the company would be based in Hong Kong. Does that bother you for some reason? Prices would still be in USD. 

-Would you be interested in a commercial release of something that already has a decent translation like Majikoi, Bunny Black or Monster Girl Quest? If you are, what would we have to do to make you want to buy it over using the free translations?

-If we build it, will you come? Let's say we hold a launch party/convention in Hong Kong (access to tons of Japanese stuff and Japanese-style arcades plus the awesomeness of Hong Kong) or Thailand (where you can live like a nukige hero for 100 USD or less per day). Are you interested in making the trip? Think combination anime convention/single otaku's paradise getaway. With the amount of red tape there is in the US and EU it would be cheaper for to fly there than pay what we'd have to charge to justify those headaches. I'm not sure there if would be enough interest to break even on something like this, but if you have suggestions for things you'd pay to be a part of, panels with seiyuu/writers and a translator or whatever, I'm all ears.

-How much does a Steam release mean to you? I don't know what their percentage is, but it's something, and my first inclination would be to charge you less rather than build that into the price.

-Would you buy merchandise like dakimakura covers or whatever else from a translation company? As a collector I'm primarily interested in Japanese merchandise, so I understand the sentiment.

-I know I won't be able to do everything myself, and view people I'd work with to deliver the final product as partners in the process that should receive a royalty on every sale. Would knowing your purchase directly supports everyone involved in creating the final product, rather than me outsourcing it to some guy in India for 100 bucks and putting the rest directly into my nuru massage fund, make you more/less/as likely to support the final release?  

1) I think that's a great idea, I'd like to have both version and decide case by case

2) DRM are fine for me but you have to implement the latest and most expensive ones or they are 100% useless

3) I'm a china hater, but well, I can swallow this

4) Yes but not those three.

5) In china and Thailand... nope. That's anoter story if ypu manage to do something in Japan.

6) I avoid steam when possible 

7) nope

8 ) probably yes...

I don't care for Steam, the only time when I pay money for VNs is when:

- It's an official localization release with an english physical copy either as a reward on Kickstarter/IndieGogo or if it's a physical copy up for sale on MangaGamer or Jlist Online Stores.

- An English Fan-Translation Patch was released and I go and buy a japanese physical version of the game on amazon.co.jp/getchu.com/YJA/amiami.com to use with the patch.

The only time I use Steam is when I get a Steam key with a Kickstarter/IndieGogo campaign that I backed and in the physical reward a Steam code was included as well, so I just play the game on Steam as soon as it releases and leave my physical copy sealed when I receive it months/year(s) later.

I might make some exception if the price on Steam is really low due to a sales, but yeah you'll never see me buying something that cost 39.99 or 49.99 on Steam.

No physical, no buy.

I still haven't been able to play eden*, The House in Fata Morgana, Tokyo Babel, Gahkthun and such due to them not having gotten a physical release.

Also I expect physical editions to be DRM-free of course.

1 hour ago, EcchiOujisama said:

While 2 different translations is a good idea, I don’t see it happening. Because to do this properly you’ll need to translate the game twice. It isn’t a case of the first run being ‘translating literal’ then a quick mop up to make it ‘localised’, you’d need multiple runs to make the literal section decent and multiple runs to make the localised section decent. It would take a boatload of time, unless the game you’re translating is quite short.

Furthermore, if your heart isn’t in one of those philosophies, then inevitably one of those translations will come out substandard. That is, if you’re only localising to appease the fanbase and you actually don’t like translations this way, this will come across in your work and it will be a substandard product.

I’m all for multiple translations for each game, but IMO it would have to be done by multiple translators. I suspect quality would suffer if a single translation group did both versions.

1. - If you can do it adequately, I'd pay more, but probably not enough more to justify the work....
  2. - If you're an English localization company and I have access to your products, I'll support you either way. I don't mind DRM either. Whatever you'd need to do.
  3. - Don't mind Hong Kong.
  4. - I would, if the translation was improved/looked over again.... and I really enjoyed it the first time. Which is wishy-washy, I know. But I didn't, for example, buy G-Senjou's new release, but I liked the vn enough I gifted it to my brother for him to read. Majikoi I'd buy two copies of, probably. Anything in physical form would definitely make it worth it for me to buy it as a consumer rather than a gift.
  5. -Hong Kong's a little far from Canada, so no.
  6. - Steam means a lot to me, seriously. Most of the VNs I buy now are on Steam. The exchange rate is better, and I don't care about H-scenes and I get to pay less for them to not be in there! Win-win-win!
  7. - I might if it was reasonably priced... but I'd lean more towards the 'merchandise of guys' side than the 'merchandise of girls' side, and like jewelry and cute clothes. Wouldn't be worth aiming for me unless you're planning on entering the female side of the market.
  8. - Depending on how you market it, more/as likely. If it's not a big point in your company, as likely. If you market it as a big part of the company, more likely. Or it might be 'less likely to buy from your competitors'. Especially if you can bring the quality.

2 hours ago, EcchiOujisama said:

- No, I'd expect the script to be in "English". Liberal doesn't mean Americanized, but literal oftentimes means leaving phrases that sound unnatural in because it's in the "original". Not to mention any professional translator would laugh at you if you told them to purposefully make a literal translation in addition to a more liberal one. 

- If I'm interested in the game, also physicals go a long way in getting people to buy something. After all, you can't pirate a physical copy of a game. 

-No, not really. Though I guess I don't know if Chinese law would come into play with ability to localize certain types of games (loli, etc). 

-If it's something I've played, chances are I wouldn't buy it again, unless it had a physical release. Also Majikoi is far from a decent translation if you're counting the parts done by Yandere translations. I would have a fit if anyone localized that and didn't heavily change the sections done by them. 

-If it's big enough, sure? But of course, it would have to be a really big time event for me to even consider spending the large amounts of money it would take to fly off to China. 

-I don't care about a steam version. I only buy steam versions of all-ages only games since it's easy and convenient. 

-Sure. Not that I could just find most dakimakuras on action sites, but why not if it's a reasonable price. 

-Buying only really hinges on whether I want something or not, but regardless it's a generous thing to do, so if you can, sure go for it. 

1. I know some people get their tits riled up about this kinda thing, but honestly I'm a non attentive reader, so I kinda just gloss over the fine details.

2. This one is a bit hard, usually it comes down to how good the product is and pricing, both are difficult to control. 

3. Well, I have no problem with it, but considering its' political status it may become a nasty battlefield in WWIII.

4. To be honest, I would be hard press to buy one of those titles since I have already read them, but if you could somehow manage a physical release fuck yeah! I would buy the fuck out of those.

5. Almost definitely no, well unless Trump is elected. It would give me a decent excuse to flee the country. 

6. I know allot of people have issues with steam, I personally have had worse experiences with origin and impulse, but it would undoubtedly give you a boost in sells. Personally though I would be delighted with any way I could purchase a title for a cheaper price.

7. I would like to say yes, but it is doubtful my pitiful bank account could withstand it. 

8. Ehhhhhh, as long as they are not assholes ;)

1 hour ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Otherwise, the VN will have to go through a lot of censorship BS and have a lot of content cut for the sake of following Steam's regulations. 

Unless it's Kindred Spirits for some reason.

I appreciate the responses so far. A couple things on points you guys have raised:

Hong Kong =/= China. Like, at all. It's been the freest economy in the world as long as such a thing has been measured, and should remain that way until at least 2047 when China is no longer bound by treaty not to fuck it up. The main reason in setting up shop there is it would make all of the taxes that make doing business in the US too expensive and the paperwork too much of a bite in my ass go away. You know, so I can focus my attention on making something worth your money. 

For those of you thinking Steam will result in a lower price point - not so much. The way I see it they want an undisclosed percentage off the top I wouldn't have to lose if you just bought it from my website instead. Steam also means I'm going to have to pay someone to go into the game, suck all of the H scenes out, then build a patch that puts them back in. I see this as money going down the drain for no good reason. Do you know who will be paying for that?

Spoiler

I'll give you a hint. It won't be me.

Whatever it costs to do business on Steam will be added to the Steam price, and could conceivably be more than a physical copy depending on what Steam's commission is per sale. I recognize they provide a service in handling the digital delivery and customer service, but this is a small enough niche where I'm not expecting to be overwhelmed with 10,000 people buying it the second it goes on sale.

I'm old school, my first instinct would be to just sell you a physical copy and leave it at that, but I know the kids these days need their instant gratification. I have no problem offering a download for the same price as a physical copy (less whatever it costs to print the physical copy) since that won't cost too much to set up. A Steam copy would be the same price as the direct download, plus the real costs added by Steam.

On the Majikoi translation, I was not impressed with Yandere either. I am a cheap son a bitch thrifty at times, and won't ask you to buy anything I wouldn't be happy to buy myself. 

Unfortunately holding events in Japan is unfeasible. As a foreigner doing any kind of business in Japan is extremely difficult under the best of circumstances, and there isn't enough money in this to go through the expense of finding a lawyer to navigate it. Even after that, it's the only country in the civilized world with taxes, regulation, forms, etc. worse than the US. I looked into running a wrestling show at Korakuen Hall a few years ago and the costs of doing business were beyond outrageous. Now if I could find a nice otaku yakuza partner to help me do everything on the down low and keep the police out of it....Seriously though, there's no way to break even with all of the costs of doing it in Japan. No one is going to pay 100,000+ yen per ticket, and it would take a lot of people paying that to make it work. It's cheaper to give the Japanese guests a free vacation in Hong Kong or Thailand than run Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Okinawa. If people wanted to go somewhere more affordable, like the farms of Gunma, I'm sure Peter Payne would have done it years ago. 

1.  As long as it didn't raise the price much, sure.  I would only be interested in reading the "Americanized" version.

2. Have it be a decent price is all I need as long as the VN interests me.  I have no interest in physical copies.

3. Doesn't bother me.

4. If the translation is better, sure.

5. Nope

6. Steam provides the best exchange rate for me so as long as a patch is provided I've buy it off Steam

7. Nope

8. More likely as long as the quality is good.

1 hour ago, EcchiOujisama said:

For those of you thinking Steam will result in a lower price point - not so much. The way I see it they want an undisclosed percentage off the top I wouldn't have to lose if you just bought it from my website instead. Steam also means I'm going to have to pay someone to go into the game, suck all of the H scenes out, then build a patch that puts them back in. I see this as money going down the drain for no good reason. Do you know who will be paying for that?

Reveal hidden contents

I'll give you a hint. It won't be me.

Whatever it costs to do business on Steam will be added to the Steam price, and could conceivably be more than a physical copy depending on what Steam's commission is per sale. I recognize they provide a service in handling the digital delivery and customer service, but this is a small enough niche where I'm not expecting to be overwhelmed with 10,000 people buying it the second it goes on sale.

I'm old school, my first instinct would be to just sell you a physical copy and leave it at that, but I know the kids these days need their instant gratification. I have no problem offering a download for the same price as a physical copy (less whatever it costs to print the physical copy) since that won't cost too much to set up. A Steam copy would be the same price as the direct download, plus the real costs added by Steam.

"-How much does a Steam release mean to you? I don't know what their percentage is, but it's something, and my first inclination would be to charge you less rather than build that into the price." -> Does 'charge you less' mean the version on your site, then?

And changes my answer, then. I'd probably be less likely to buy anything, but as long as the exchange rate is better on Steam I'd still go to Steam... If the game is one that really interests me I'd go physical, but the exchange rate isn't fun. I'd be a little mad if the patch is free though, lol. I really don't care about it, and for me to eat the costs of it... is something I wouldn't be happy about. I'd be fine if it's just 'the cost to take the H-scenes out and steam is mean so extra amount up' and it ends up the same price, though. I'm an odd consumer in the vn realm.

1. If that $2-3 can get rid of those Mr, Mrs and bring honorific back to the game, then I will totally pay for it.

2. Nothing. Supporter will still support, pirate will still pirate, there is pretty much nothing you can really do about that.

3. Hong Kong is not China (lol) so I have no problem with that.

4. Nope, I would rather have a game without an existing fan translation to be localized. 

5. I have no money, so...

6. For me, Steam is pretty much just a kind of "trophy" to show to other people that "Hey, I bought the game! I did not pirate it!", that's all. I'm fine with other platforms, as long as the procedure is not too annoying.

7. Nope, I prefer "made in Japan" stuff.

8. Tbh, idk idc idgaf <_< 

My thoughts on some of the issues:

1. Including the Japanese scripts as well as two versions of the English ones would attract some people who don't want to deal with the hassle of normal importation.

2.  One thing to do is just accept that some people will pirate your release.

3.  As long as mainland Chinese censors don't have a say in what ends up in the final game, I don't have any problems. 

4.  If it is feasible, there is no problem with officially localizing stuff that already has a fantranslation.  All the existing localization companies have done so.

5.  I'm not really interested in traveling to Hong Kong, to be honest.  I'm not fond of bustling cities, and HK is one of the most bustling ones out there.

6.  The real convenience of Steam is the convenience of being able to use a wallet that is rechargeable without needing to use a credit card or other form of standard electronic payment.  I can go to my local grocery or convenience store and pick up a $50 Steam card, and I don't want to have to compromise my cards on a recently-established company's site.

7.  If your game has an established following, you might consider contracting with the company to have swag made specifically for your release by the ones that make the Japanese swag.  I personally have no interest in most swag (the shirts don't fit me, I don't sleep well on my side, and I don't like to clutter my walls or shelves with eye candy).

8.  Umm... I hate to say this, but most people aren't going to care about whether their money supports the localization team.  I mean, it is nice to hear about when a member of the community sticks his foot in the door and becomes the employee of a localization company, but I honestly can say that I don't see my purchases as a support method. 

Your questions was quite good there. Okay, let me try to answer the questions here.

1. I think it was quite unnecessary. The reason here was while it surely will ensure that almost no complaint will come to the translation, it'll only doubled the work for the translator and therefore more cost. And no, the majority of potential customer wouldn't care too much about the translation here if you asking me ie didn't care if it's liberal or literal as long as they could read it in English. Oh, and when I said 'almost no complain' it mean there'll be small complain that will came if some consumer didn't satisfied to either the liberal take or thinking that the literal was too stiff. In short, it was hard to satisfy all of the customer even if this opinion available. And I think the addition 2 to 3 in regard of the price would be too much for the customer imo.
  2. Pirate, well it's quite hard to control if I may said. Even if you try to stop it, it'll be only slow down a little before taking the momentum here. So, I think it's depend on the company themselves. And looking back to question one, if taking pirating into consideration adding double localization will only made the loss more now that you need more cost there. The question here was quite hard to answer, but I made the point clear in regard of pirate.
  3. Hong Kong? Don't care much where the company is as long as there is a way to get the VN, and iirc Mangagamer was based on Netherland. The company could using online purchasing if you want to distribute the VNs there.  
  4. Well, nothing that could convince me to buy those three. Besides I think most of the people out there should knew or read the recommendation for those VNs, and also I think those VNs were already discussed so much out there. Although there's maybe a chance though if talking about official localization for those three.
  5. I'm not that interested to go overseas for now, so I think it's not worth to come to imo. Beside the ticket to overseas was quite expensive and if you talk about panel, nowadays you could just see it from official company website imo.
  6. Steam well, it's just like some shopping mall to games which allow the customer to do the window shopping there at least to me. Although at least I knew that they occasionally had some sort of sales and it mean that you could got your VN cheaper there.
  7. To me, there's something more necessity in regard of the need if I may said it. So not, I wouldn't think to buy the dakimakura here because it wasn't my need here for now.
  8. Well, not. And combined with the piracy here, I think most of the people most likely won't care about that here as long as they got the product here. Although it'll be nice if some people who buy the VN knew that though.

That's all for my answer here, and sorry if I couldn't help too much here. But if I may said here if you choose to doing professional one it'll be difficult. Good luck nonetheless.

1) I am not interested in getting 2 scripts for a game.  I'm never going to read the literally-translated script, which means it's worthless to me.  This is not to say that including both is a bad idea (since there are people who feel just as strongly the other way); but I am not willing to pay extra for the option to switch.  I also agree with those who say that the danger here is that one of the translations will be sub-par.

2) My backlog is legion.  If a game or a book interests me, I buy it.  So if your release interests me, I'm already going to buy it unless you do things to make me not want to buy it.  Those include translating the game really badly, or only releasing a censored version for anything but legal reasons.  (I don't mind the *existence* of all-ages versions of adult games; I just don't want them, and I'm much less willing to put up with bowdlerization anymore.  I remember back when people would get "funny" at a "cafe" because they'd had too much "tea", and I'm not interested in going back.)

Pretty much all you have to do is release your game via not-shady-looking outfits like Denpasoft or Mangagamer or even DLSite.

3) The company being based in Hong Kong doesn't bother me.  (Hong Kong does have a bit of a reputation; just to be clear, it goes without saying that I won't buy bootlegs.)

4) I believe in the fansub ethos.  If something that has been fan patched becomes available legitimately, then I will buy it if I'm interested in it.

5) No, I have no interest in leaving the country.

6) Steam itself isn't important to me.  (I prefer 18+ content, after all).  Existing marketplaces like DLSite, Denpasoft, MangaGamer, etc. are important to me.  I'd prefer to buy from them rather than sign up for some new site I don't know.

7) I hardly ever buy merchandise anymore (no space anymore) and I definitely do not buy merch for games I haven't yet played.

8 ) I doubt that policy will last long.  It tends not to work out well in the long term.  No, it doesn't really matter to me.  Just don't take your cues from Konami and I won't have a problem.

1) If you provide the two scripts and the switch and charge $3 more than you would have otherwise, I would certainly not complain, mostly because $3 is near enough to $0. I personally view the most commonly-perceived idea of "literal" as more frustrating to read, and $3 is a small price to pay for a better reading experience.

2) I buy games with various forms of DRM all the time. As long as it's not horribly invasive, and as long as there's not a substantial risk of it rendering my legally-bought copy of the game unusable (for reference, I don't consider "but Steam might fall of the face of the earth" to be a substantial risk; I buy Steam games), do what you gotta do.

3) Hong Kong-based company? Whatever, don't care.

4) I'm a weirdo with enough scratch to support official releases of games I like as a rule of thumb. Even if I've already imported the original and read the fan translation, I will definitely buy a subsequent official localized release of any game, as long as I actually enjoyed the game.

5) Not interested in going abroad for a convention, unless it's somehow the most ridiculous VN-centric convention of all time. Even then, at best I'd consider it. Would definitely be more likely to attend a thing in Hong Kong than Thailand, though...

6) Not much. I buy on Steam if possible because it's convenient, and I generally prefer to buy digital when possible for the same reason, but Steam specifically is not a big deal, and I wouldn't feel more than mildly inconvenienced by physical-only.

7) As long as it's officially-licensed, sure, though I don't buy physical goods very often.

8) That's a pretty unusual idea, and sounds nice, but given that you said your goal would be "producing a labor of love without taking a bath of it", wouldn't that likely mean said partners would actually make less money? Unless you somehow hit the big-time, I guess. Also kinda sounds like a pain for everybody involved to deal with royalty payments everywhere. I expect the people you contracted out to (notably the translation team) would likely be happier in the end with a single lump sum than they would be with periodic, increasingly tiny royalty checks for the rest of their lives.

Edit: I fought that fucking smiley so hard while writing this, suppressed it dozens of times, and then the moment I clicked "submit", I watched it convert it immediately before submitting. Tried to edit the post, it did the same damn thing when I clicked "save". Fuck it. 8)

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Edit: I fought that fucking smiley so hard while writing this, suppressed it dozens of times, and then the moment I clicked "submit", I watched it convert it immediately before submitting. Tried to edit the post, it did the same damn thing when I clicked "save". Fuck it. 8)

Whoever invented that shortcut for that smiley needs to be castrated, then defenestrated, then castrated a second time ...just to make certain of things.

­8) ­8) ­8) 8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)8) ­8) ­8)  8) 8) :salt::holo: 8( 8)  yeah (8) so with (8) the smile is not triggered, only whitout the first "(" (8 knights are fightingh the mighty demon8) demon8) 8) ­8) 

­8) ­I won

­

­

­

­

­

­

­

­