What your perfect and worst VN you ever read?

Nekolover

Please try to give reasons.  I trying to inform myself about good VN and bad ones. 

Talk about the art style or music.

What VN has the best music?

What VN is the most unique looking? 

What VN has the best art or art style?

What VN has the best sound or atmospheric sounds?

Best characters?

Best choices?

The best chemistry between characters?

Best story?  

What the best VN series?

And vice versa? 

i wouldnt say its perfect (just look at its english translation) but its still one i very much enjoyed, and not just for its artstyle, music, characters, characters chemistry, but it was just so touching. If My Heart Had Wings.

as far as worst vn? im not really sure. cant think of one that i thought was absolutely terrible on every level. i might come back, but youll never know when. :ph34r:

Perfect? Narcissu 1st, why? the music, the character development, the realism of the story even the art was amazing even if minimalistic, for me it's a 10/10 (way better in japanese than in english because in english all the essence of the dialogues between setsumi and the MC are lost with the translation)

worst, hard to say.. but according to my vndb it's dustmania and pico to chiko :P and yeah that's about right xD

Eden* probably fit as perfect VN in my criteria, good music, atmosphere, character development, story is interesting enough to make me wanna see what happen next, animated (it's minori!), you can sex with loli, and it's just 10 hours.

Definitely one of best 10 hours in my life.

The first 5 things you mentioned perfectly describe Everlasting summer. IMO it has the best soundtrack ever, creates an unforgetable atmosphere and moments.

Unique looking and art? It definitely is unique because it s a Russian VN, has russian characters and is set in Russia ^^. The background art there is gorgeous, the CG art is on a lower quality, but i don t think that matters.

Best characters are just a matter of everyone s opinion. Idk what you mean with best choices, and neither the chemistry.

The story is awesome, because they had only 1 writer, so all the routes are connected.

Worst VN i played? I haven t played so many of them, and i quite much enjoy everything, so i can t say i have a worst. But the music in If my heart had wings was getting on my nerves after some time, it fits into the atmosphere, but it becomes annoying :komari:

Your perfect VN? Best story?  

Technically it's Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (three of the five cases/chapters are just terrific : suspence, a lot of emotion, a fantastic and scary archenemy, all the best characters are here...)  but I suppose it's not a pure VN. So the only VN I can think of is G-senjou no Maou. The remixed classical OST is awesome, The moments of comedy were hilarious and the drama part is almost unbeatable : the True ending is...legendary !!! Whenever I think about this, I want to cry (just like PW3) :kosame:

Your worst VN ? Worst story ?

According to my VNDB rating, it's X-Change (Yes, I'm not very fond of nukiges...especially with rapes). But I have to mention Maid's Story. It was pure rubbish (gameplay, "story").

Best OST ?

I/O. I loved the cyberpunk "touch". For the same reasons, VA-11 HALL A's OST is splendid too.

Best Art or Art style ?

Defintively, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate. Every character is cute (even the male ones !).

What VN has the worst art or art style ?

Some characters in Zanmataisei Demonbane are ugly : Leica, Nya, Augustus, Makoto or Sonya. And Chain's Character Design is...special.

Best characters? The best chemistry between characters?

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai's cast is clearly the best you can have (quality and quantity). And the chemistry between Yamato and Miyako is one of the best points of this VN.

- Cartagra. Perfect ost, made like 70% of atmosphere. 30% was art, but unfortunatelly almost everything else suxx.

- Probably I/O, but that is not necessary a good thing.

- Kara no Shoujo 2, hands down.

- Phenomeno.

Best characters?

- As a team - Majikoi. 

Best choices?

- As in choice system, Steins;Gate. If only this true end had been more achievable without guide...

- Majikoi and MuvLuv. I just love big group of characters playing off each other.

Best story?

- Steins;Gate and Muv Luv Trilogy. Hard to choose, both are great, but completly diferent.

What the best VN series?

- Kara no Shoujo. Only two games, but I love them.

And vice versa? 

Music:

- Tsukihime. It wasn't awful, some of songs were fine, but endless loop of only few songs really was getting on my nerves.

Unique Look:

- Most of the moege released after 2011. They all look the same.

Art style:

- Tsukihime. Godddamn awful. (I haven't read anything from 07th Expansion). Also Killer Queen.

Sound:

- Homeless School Girl. Terribly amateurish, non edited sound effects.

Characters:

- Sharin no Kuni/Grisaia. Both had only one enjoyable character (Mana in SnK, Makina in G), but Grisaia presented me later that even annoying stupid as fuck tsundere can be enjoyable, so vote for Sharin no Kuni. Absolute garbage and worst VN ever made.

Choices system:

- I/O. There are worst vns for sure, but system in here with constant backtracing to previously read routes was annoying.

Chemistry:

- Killer QUeen. No chemistry at all, romance so forced, that it was almost cringeworthy.

Story:

- Sharin no Kuni. No rival here. Nothing can be compared to this ultimate accumulation of bullshit ideas, stupid plot farts and idiotic behavours.

Series:

- I've read only First main game and one mini one, but I wil say - Grisaia. I hate the main writter, he really don't know how to write an interestingly (especialy that his stories/settings/ideas are interesting 'on paper', they just so poorly written, all enjoyment is gone), and I know hes the main writter for Grisaia 2 and solo writter of Grisaia 3 and damn sure it will be pure crapfest. Can't wait for release.

But so far only one VN I can say was perfect - Stein;s Gate. Pure 10/10.

No such thing as a perfect VN for me, as I can always find something to whine about. Chaos;Head comes pretty damn close though, as does Sharin no Kuni.

As for the worst... I've read some truly terrible VNs in my time (the likes of Idols Galore!, Gibo, Little My Maid, etc.), but after applying my magic formula of terribleness x expectations/reality x inexplicable popularity = worst VN, the answer is Shuffle!

On 23/7/2016 at 4:26 AM, Nekolover said:

CUT

MUV-Luv Trilogy (you should know why it's awesome right? For me the deciding factor is something that happens near the end, anyway)

Viper V-16 (I irrationally hate this with passion, I don't remember shit of the story anymore, obviously irrational hate is best hate)

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni

dammit, the edit funcion is broken as shit... I give up

The House in Fata Morgana and Forest

428 ( photography ---> drawings)

The House in Fata Morgana and Forest

Best characters?

Yuuko Kouzuki, Takano Miyo, Rosa Ushliromiya, Eva Ushiromiya, Houzuki Masaomi, Houzuki Ari, Kurisu Makise, Maou

Best choices?

Remember11

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Best story?  

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni

What the best VN series?

Muv Luv

And vice versa? 

Perfect VN
Pretty much Clannad. It's the closest thing to have everything I want out of a VN; lots of choices, an expansive branching storyline, a good story with a good balance between emotional drama and comedy, and excellent music. Coming in second is School Days, also with an amazing vast branching storyline.

I think I need to clarify something about why I'm so obsessed over branching storylines. See, it's not just about variety. When I'm choosing a dialog option, I don't really like to choose a particular option just to go to a certain route. Rather, I want it to feel natural, like what I would really say if this was real life. So, if there are many options that could lead to many different routes based on stuff I would say IRL... that's kinda an amazing simulation. Kinda like a personality test, except with consequences based on your choices as a test result.

School Days does that kind of thing, where the choices you choose makes you a nice guy... or the dick everyone knows Makoto for. And even if you're a dick, there are options in late branches where you could redeem yourself and return to a nicer branch with a good end! How great is that?! I love it.

Unfortunately, its sequel, Shiny Days, lacks the drama that made the predecessor so engaging. If there's no drama, there are no stakes involved. That's why I don't particularly enjoy VNs with slice-of-life elements where you just go about your day enjoying life with cute girls, though I understand why people like that.

Worst VN
So many Lilith h-games lazily slapped together with some static picture. Some Lilith games feature 'animated' hentai scenes (a binary movement where the girl moves back-and-forth, if you can call that animated), so it's not that bad, but I found some of their more static ones a turn-off. It lacks the dynamic action of their anime counterparts, which I found to be a lot more erotic. And when they do feature animation, it's a dumbed down loop of the same thrusting and sucking.

Just so we're clear, I don't mind static images as long as they're creative. euphoria is filled with static h-scenes, but they're much better drawn the Lilith's half-ass production.

Aside from that, I don't think I particularly have a VN I really hate so much that I would declare it as the worst one I've ever played. Most of the ones I've read have at least some kind of redeeming value, like a good story or nice game-design, so it's hard to pick one that's the 'worst'. Analogue: A Hate Story has dumb choices sometimes, but the story isn't bad enough I'd call it the worst. Ever17 is painfully dull at the beginning, but I heard it gets better after you get through the early routes. It's stuff like that that redeems all the VNs I've played from being the 'worst'.

H-games are easy to call out on though, since they have such low production value. But even among them, there are gems.

Talk about the art style or music
Let's go back to the 'best VNs'.

The art style of Clannad's sprites isn't my favorite nowadays, since so many other VNs have the same art style for their sprites now. That said, the other non-sprite art style of Clannad is pretty great. I love the art for the girl and her robot pet. Just the appropriate kind of depressing color scheme to set the right mood. And the music - oh god, the freaking emotional BGM for those scenes. "The Girl's Fantasy" is beautifully tragic.

Of course, the other soundtracks of Clannad are just as tearjerking. I remember listening to the Clannad soundtrack so many times when I was a kid (albeit due to the anime, not the VN at first). Honestly, it's hard to pick a favorite. Listening to them again, I found most of them tear-inducing, from The Place Where Wishes Come True, to Roaring Tide, to the FEELS-flooding Small Palms. GAWD!

I think when it comes to art style, one must talk about Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua. I mean, c'mon, ufotable's anime sums up just how amazing the world of F/SN can look, and the Realta Nua VN isn't far off from its animated counterpart. The battle scenes in particular are probably the most well-drawn scenes. I still remember how epic it felt when Saber used Excalibur for the first time in Fate route. Its presentation was done so much better than the DEEN version, in spite of it being an anime.

My favorite music for Fate though isn't really its BGM but its amazing OPs done by ufotable. Horizon is my favorite, with Another Heaven coming second, although I don't particularly dislike arcadia either.

Now comes School Days, which probably has my least favorite art style and music out of all three. Its art style is non-existent because the animated scenes contain stock images of people in the background. But otherwise, the sprites of the main characters themselves look decent, nothing amazing. The music is pretty great though because it contains mix of romance and melancholy in it, so everytime you hear it in a new episode, it reminds you of the inevitable tragedy to come.

Fate/Stay Night, particularly the Realta Nua version. With its kind of lore, it's hardly surprising that it possess the most unique look that doesn't just deal with your more trite highschool look.

F/SN takes the cake again.

Clannad. Hands down. It's the best. I could listen to Clannad soundtracks and cry myself to sleep everyday.

I take it 'music' in this context is different from 'atmospheric BGM' in the previous question. If so, then I would say F/SN Realta Nua's Holy Trinity of OPs.

Best characters?
I want to say F/SN, but I get so much flake for liking Saber from haters that I kinda just stopped bothering with F/SN's characters a long time ago... :makina:

But yeah, it's still F/SN, no question. I couldn't think of anything else that has better characters.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni. Whether it's flawed characters or relatable ones, Umineko has it. The characters are very well-written to make you feel both hatred and sympathy. Also, Beautrice's Ushiromiya Battttttleeeeer! never gets old for me.

Best choices?
Clannad over School Days, but they're both the ones with the best choices IMO.

No clue, to be honest. It's hard to choose which harem eroge has the best chemistry since they're almost all designed to have chemistry, being romance stories.

Best story?
Fate/Stay Ni

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - so far. I haven't finished it yet - up to episode 5 right now - but the story's pretty interesting so far. The mystery element and the infodumping can get a little dull for me, but I like the drama and suspense in-between.

What the best VN series?
No Naku Koro ni series. Please continue this series.

And vice versa?
Any h-game series, I suppose. Refer to my 'worst VN' answer. It's hard to choose a 'worst' anything.

On 2016/7/23 at 3:45 AM, mitchhamilton said:

i wouldnt say its perfect (just look at its english translation) but its still one i very much enjoyed, and not just for its artstyle, music, characters, characters chemistry, but it was just so touching. If My Heart Had Wings.

as far as worst vn? im not really sure. cant think of one that i thought was absolutely terrible on every level. i might come back, but youll never know when. :ph34r:

I agree (although IMHHW is my favorite VN)

Best: choose between Katawa Shoujo, Remember 11, Ever 17 and Virtue's Last Reward. Those were what I enjoyed most and the ones that hooked me the most.

Steins;Gate I didn't play, but I watched a gameplay; it's just a different kind of experience.

Worst: quite some, but I can't remember clearly... one candidate would be Wanko to Kurasou, Yuki Zakura was mostly bad or uninspiring, and I can't think of anything else.

Shinigami no kiss has to be the worst visual novel I have ever played. It was boring from the start, with three of the four main characters depressed/monotone. The random comedy scenes didn't fit the atmosphere.

There are so many perfect visual novels for me. VNDB seems to frown upon people giving multiple tens, but I can't help it. MLA, Rewrite, and G-senjou are examples. Comyu was close to perfect, but some of the big "plot twists" were predictable. Ever 17 is also an amazing visual novel (which I never finished for some reason). I guess I like a good plot and interesting story. I'm a simple man.