Favorite BGM/soundtrack of a Visual Novel

Exult

Wow, no one mentioned Hapymaher? This VN has really nice BGM and OP.

here is the OP, (warning:pantsu shot alert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FoKNRjs5rM

Basic translation of the lyrics (obviously, it doesn't confirm to the rhythms of the lyrics, but this is the meaning).

Whether I desire reality or a dream, what I take in hand will be very fragile.

It is like trying to sustain for eternity the reflection in a mirror of a momentary light that would disappear were I to touch it.

Is it not ironic that, just like love (romantic), that it runs away even as you chase it?

Spinning, spinning like a spiral, praying in faint hope of a miracle.

Even if I know that I cannot run away...

... if it were to take you back, I would willingly lose everything.

After the song translation: 'What dreams do you dream? This is the story of a sweet, happy, bad dream.'

Basic translation of the lyrics (obviously, it doesn't confirm to the rhythms of the lyrics, but this is the meaning).

Whether I desire reality or a dream, what I take in hand will be very fragile.

It is like trying to sustain for eternity the reflection in a mirror of a momentary light that would disappear were I to touch it.

Is it not ironic that, just like love (romantic), that it runs away even as you chase it?

Spinning, spinning like a spiral, praying in faint hope of a miracle.

Even if I know that I cannot run away...

... if it were to take you back, I would willingly lose everything.

After the song translation: 'What dreams

do you dream? This is the story of a sweet, happy, bad dream.'

Seriously, what is the original japanese on the bolded part. I hear kaseki instead of kiseki no matter how many times i replayed it. I also can't hear properly the part after 祈る~~.

By the way, do you think the sequel ost is better or worse?

Seriously, what is the original japanese on the bolded part. I hear kaseki instead of kiseki no matter how many times i replayed it. I also can't hear properly the part after 祈る~~.

By the way, do you think the sequel ost is better or worse?

'wazuka na kiseki motome' was the latter part of the line.  One reason I despise translating lyrics is because they cut out particles and the like in order to make it fit into the actual tunes.  This is an extended version of the OP song, set to a looping version of the original video.  It also has the Japanese lyrics in subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSoTwjfyb0

The sequel ost is basically the Hapymaher ost with one or two extra tracks.  There is no 'better' or 'worse' in cases like that. 

Edit:  I do think the original was better at synching the music with the scenes, but FD's almost never match the quality of the original, in any case.

'wazuka na kiseki motome' was the latter part of the line.  One reason I despise translating lyrics is because they cut out particles and the like in order to make it fit into the actual tunes.  This is an extended version of the OP song, set to a looping version of the original video.  It also has the Japanese lyrics in subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSoTwjfyb0

The sequel ost is basically the Hapymaher ost with one or two extra tracks.  There is no 'better' or 'worse' in cases like that. 

Edit:  I do think the original was better at synching the music with the scenes, but FD's almost never match the quality of the original, in any case.

Yeah, a song is always like that. I heard it as "wasureka kisaki modore" which doesn't makes any sense. I also find the FD is a bit lacking, well i hope Purple soft makes more game like this. Personally, i prefer they makes new games rather than FD.

• 1 month later...

Umineko's OST is wonderful, thanks to Dai, -45 and ZTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uy6rfyZwnU&list=PLhFBP_itdxxS2lni6Jc2YSvZ7XRuIz1EH&index=34

Mahoyo has really good tracks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmX2l4EoGA&index=3&list=PLhFBP_itdxxRcAE286mJgSC_LhKBdLnt6

Yup, most of everything has been mentioned so far.

Umineko, Dead Angle. Probably one of the most played tracks in the game and it creates a pretty good atmosphere.

I/O, Subnetwork. Is pretty awesome.

Grisaia, A lot of tracks. But I'm forced to choose one so here it is. The energy coursing through one's body during this track is indescribably amazing.

Desire Dungeon, Can't find a specific one but this one has all of them. The music is probably one of the reasons I really like this game.

Chaos;Head, Cry (is what the youtube link says but I'm not sure about that). A good ED to that sort of end. Sorry about the lower quality.

Yume Miru Kusuri, To The World of Dreams. Not my favorite track, but still pretty awesome.

Demonbane, The Zero Escape Series, Hoshimemo, G-Senjou, Saya no Uta, Narcissu, and Rewrite all have pretty nice tracks, but most of the good ones have already been posted. Higurashi is pretty good, but I can't find any of the good tracks.

Aah, the soundtracks are the most defining feature of a VN, to me.

Katawa Shoujo - The tracks were all unique, and perfectly matched the atmosphere. Different styles, instruments, et cetera created a pleasurable variety.

My Girlfriend is the Presient - Most of the tracks only met the bare minimum, but a few were excellent, and listening to them puts me in the respective mood experienced in the game.

Rewrite - As expected of Key, this was a quality OST overall. I forget what it's called, but my favorite is the song that always plays after a new day starts.

Narcissu (1&2) - I like to replay this soundtrack whenever I want to feel depressed. -.-

Over the Rainbow (Niji no Kanata ni) - Being such a short game, there's only ten tracks, but some of them are very much worth listening to.

I've recently started Grisaia no Kajitsu, but I don't have an extensive gamut to judge as of yet.

I've only read 8-10 visual novels, but the two that stick out to me are Katawa Shoujo and Tsukihime. I like Clannad's so far, and Analoge: A Hate Story had surprisingly enjoyable tunes (but nothing super-incredible)

oh and I quite enjoyed Deardrops ost

I've only read 8-10 visual novels, but the two that stuck out to me are Katawa Shoujo and Tsukihime. I like Clannad's so far, and Analoge: A Hate Story had surprisingly enjoyable tunes (but nothing super-incredible)

Ah, how did I forget that on my list? Analogue: A Hate Story has a few pleasantly memorable songs, as does the sequel, Hate Plus.

• 4 months later...

A VN without voice is fine, but I think a VN will turn dull without music.

Some might think it's unnecessary but for me it's important.

I'm one of those who, after finishing a game, extract it to get the Background Music. My phone is full of it.  :lol:

So I just want to know what your favorite BGM is.

For me, it's Grisaia's Kimi no iru Machi. I could name a lot more, but this is the best for me.

Absolutely agree. Visual Novels are a wonderful combination of Visuals, Audio and text. Good music is just as necessary as good art and good writing to make a great VN. 

To anwser the question, Symphonic Rain without a doubt contains my favorite OST. My personal favorite tracks in Symphonic Rain are the vocal and non-vocal versions of Rain Musique:

Personally I find the non-vocal version even more soothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_FHkWIuXo&index=14&list=PLCF83E840F9D8FF64