VN Reading Club - October 2015 (Symphonic Rain)

Kosakyun

Whelp. Sorry for being late with posting this. I've been a busy guy, being outside of the house for 16 hours a day. Enough with the excuses though. Lemme present to you the theme for October!

October will be the music month. What, you expected Halloween? Sadly, Halloween's a pretty used up theme, and people don't want to keep using the same thing over and over again, right? So for this month, the club will be focusing on visual novels that have a certain emphasis on music in their plot. This pretty much limits the selection, but that's all the more fun. We'll be forced to read from a pretty small range of visual novels. In English, that is. :makina:

The visual novel for this month is:

5024.jpg

Symphonic Rain (Kogado Studio)

Every month 'till it wins.

Results: Winner, 15 votes (39.47%)

Synopsis:

Symphonic Rain takes place in a fictional city of apparently Italian heritage, where rain falls everyday. The locals there have adapted to this peculiar phenomenon, and carry on with their lives as if the rain was never there. No one takes an umbrella, no one wears a rain coat.

TS4ceM0.jpg

G-Senjou no Maou (AkabeiSoft2)

Yes, again.

Results: 2nd Place, 10 votes (26.32%)

Synposis:

You play the role of Azai Kyousuke, the son of a legendary gangster infamous in the underworld. You spend your time listening to Bach, playing God at school and covertly working for your stepfather, a ruthless financial heavyweight. This idyllic existence is broken when two individuals appear in the city - a beautiful girl named Usami Haru with hair you could get lost in for days, and a powerful international gangster known only as "Maou". Almost without delay, the two begin a deadly cat-and-mouse game, bringing you and your friends into the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits.

22609.jpg

Kira☆Kira (Overdrive)

Can't wait for the complex plot in this game.

Results: 4th Place, 4 votes (10.53%)

Synopsis:

Shikanosuke Maejima is a student at the Missionary school, Oubi Academy. He doesn't attend his club, he doesn't put much effort in his studies, all he does is show up at his part time job; in short, his life could be better. One day, he meets a strange girl, Kirari Shiino, at work and before he knows it, they've formed a punk band.

15646.jpg

Deardrops (Overdrive)

Your musical moege.

Results: 4th Place, 4 votes (10.53%)

Synopsis:

Shouichi was known as one of the ‘nobles’ of the violin world. Having started playing the violin when he was 3, he won the national violin competition when he was in middle school and went to Germany to play in orchestras. However, due to unknown reasons, he returned to Japan, gave up playing the violin and became a freeter. One day, he starts working at a live house and meets many other amateur musicians who are living their lives their own way. Together they will have to overcome obstacles in both their personal lives and as a band. To Shouichi, the live house is a new beginning in a new place… a new world which has opened to him when he thought that his future as a musician had closed.

18228.jpg

Quartett (Littlewitch & Princess Soft)

The pick that nobody picked, but is here anyway.

Results: 3rd Place, 5 votes (13.16%)

Synopsis:

On the 17th of March, there is a classical strings concert unlike any other in the world. Ninety-six young musicians, divided into twenty-four quartets perform before an audience of the world’s greatest conductors and instrumentalists. Only one group - a single quartet - is chosen form these performers. Success brings prestige beyond imagination and guaranteed entry into any orchestra on the planet. It is a once in a lifetime chance for those striving to perfect the art of music. The ultimate dream… and possibly the ultimate nightmare.

The goal this month is to discuss the involvement of music in the plot of whatever's going to be picked this month, and how it did relative to your enjoyment of the game. Of course, you could pray again and again that Symphonic Rain be picked for this month (pls pls pls this month), but moege folks will fuck you up. No worries though. Have fun picking the visual novel you want to read this month. <3

Make sure to include spoilers when discussing important plot details!

Also, if you want to provide feedback on how we're doing and give recommendations to further improve the club, you can drop by this thread and post your thoughts!

Lastly, remember the rule: no lolis.

Heh. :holo:

Edited by KosakiFag
Goddamnit no ninja skills

What special privileges and requirements do I need for unknown(?) endorsers to approve my membership in this transcendental club?

If possible, I would like to participate for current and all the upcoming months until I go off grid/get a life.

There is no official membership, you join in if you want to and if none of the choices interest you you can always take the month off. 

I would also very much appreciate it if people posted in the feedback thread mentioned above. That way we can do more with the club to make it more enjoyable. 

I've already read all of these so I won't vote and skew the results, but I just want to say that even though G-senjou is one of my favorite VNs of all time, when it comes to stories centered around music ... you can't find something better than Symphonic Rain.

If you haven't played it, play it. Regardless of whether it wins or not.

Since you can leave anytime you want, I've decided to join as long as a vn I never played gets selected which in this poll is everyone of them except for G-Senjou.

I like that vn which introduced me to the term 'Stockholm syndrome' but I wouldn't go out of my way to replay it again now.

I'm going to throw Quartett a vote because I was just about to replay it for myself anyway, might as well join the discussion if it wins.  I am going to echo mjriedstra up there in saying that everyone should try Symphonic Rain at some point whether it wins or not.  I considered voting for it but I read it just long enough ago that I don't remember it well enough to discuss it but remember it too well to want to replay it just yet.