VN Reading Club - October 2015 (Symphonic Rain)

Kosakyun

I decided to bump the difficulty up to Hard on the mini-game after playing the first in-game song on Normal (tried the same song in Free Play on Hard, no problems). Unless there's a sudden exponential jump in difficulty, my body is ready. But I play a lot of rhythm games and am an excellent touch typist, so this mini-game is right up my alley.

Meanwhile, in the actual game, I've only played through the first two days. So far, so good. The art takes a bit of getting used to, but it's already grown on me a lot. I really like the music so far (unsurprising, since they probably put a lot of effort into it given the nature of the game).

the only song I cant clear is the fals song (although i luckily beat it on normal) my reflex are bad and i cant touch type so i cant clear hard mode........

i want to play different songs and get the bad end..... (why dont let me play different songs in story mode and get a good ending?)

Pro-tip on the mini-game, from someone who has spent at least 20 minutes playing it: the game doesn't like it when you play a note early, but is pretty happy with you playing a note rather late. I find if I actively try to play a little bit behind where the note belongs, when I hit the note I reliably get a little medal. If I try to play right on the beat, it's much less likely that I'll get the little medal (maybe 50-50, at best; I think I have a tendency to play early as well, which isn't helping...). I passed Torta's song on Hard mode sight-reading it, but I decided to replay until I got a good score. Two more tries made almost no progress, but I had the above realization midway through the fourth try, and easily ended up with five full medals. Abusing the scoring system for fun and profit, yay!

~~~

Holy shit the first two percussion sections on Fal's song are hard, at least on Hard mode. After a few tries I got the hang of the later percussion section, so I was able to get five medals on the song, but even on that third (fourth?) time playing the song, each time that first percussion section came up, my medals plummeted to zero. I could do just the right or just the left hand fine, but apparently my brain can't handle the three-against-two split across my two hands, which I think is going on there. I think I need to take drum lessons or something to be able to pass that...

One of the best games I've played so far. Beautiful story, touching characters and a great twist near the end <3

I didn't play the mini game, because it is useless to [and you'll have to play the same song a lot during the game], but I still listen to Fal's song until today.

I'll comment more about it when you guys finish the game, or some routes.

Just finished Lise's route

It was pretty rough. Most of twists were pretty easy to predict, but Grave's final retaliation caught me completely off guard.  Suffocating one's child until she can't speak and suffers brain damage, it was just too cruel. And that was supposed to be the good ending? 

The route itself felt little rushed to me, it could have had little more extra padding. From the moment they run away from Grave the first time, the story just makes its way straight to the end and doesn't bother with much of dialog or anything. Otherwise it was pretty nice route.    

The minigame is super satisfying now that I'm gotten somewhat used to it, I can now play the slower pieces on normal. My brain still melts at the more complicated songs like Fal's, but luckily the easy mode plays most of the song for me, so I can just jam along a little and enjoy the music.  

Lise's route is generally regarded as the weakest, since it aims for the feels rather than more complicated character relationships. I know some people like it the most though, then again, some people actually like Shizuru's route the most in Rewrite which is significantly more difficult to understand.

There are two different "timing modes" for songs in the settings. Try swapping them around and see how you do on songs.

Just finished Lise's route

Hidden Content

The minigame is super satisfying now that I'm gotten somewhat used to it, I can now play the slower pieces on normal. My brain still melts at the more complicated songs like Fal's, but luckily the easy mode plays most of the song for me, so I can just jam along a little and enjoy the music.  

Congrats on finishing the weakest route IMO. It's hard to talk about the endings right now. Probably when you're done, I will.

Whilst I'm loving the art style I have to ask; does anyone else have a problem with the mouths or is it just me? 

My problem is with the smiles, they don't look very much like a smile and more of a smirk, if it weren't for they eyes I'd actually be convinced that they were smirking at me.

Edited by Nimbus

Whilst I'm loving the art style I have to ask; does anyone else have a problem with the mouths or is it just me? 

My problem is with the smiles, they don't look very much like a smile and more of a smirk, if it weren't for they eyes I'd actually be convinced that they were smirking at me.

I have and had no problem with the art 'til there was a rather big angle.

Nice to see this got picked. One of my favorites. I might re-read it, except Lise's route.

Grave was lol-worthy. His expressions and sprites were just too funny to look at. A hammy villain I don't think was meant to be hammy.

The minigame though. Huh, the mini- people actually play that minigame!?

The minigame though. Huh, the mini- people actually play that minigame!?

I'm actually playing that mini-game!

I honestly find it pretty fun, but I'm a sucker for both rhythm games, and in general, music. Even with the horrifying control scheme, I am actually capable of feeling like I'm "playing" the music, and well, at least for both Lise's and Torta's songs, so I kind of get into it. I still make too many mistakes on Fal's song, so that's a bit frustrating, but it is rather rewarding seeing the scores consistently rising as well.
I'm on Lise's route now, after starting over yesterday. So far, so good - I wasn't sure about her personality at first, but after spending some more time around her, I find I don't mind it.

Finished reading it.  Would recommend! Only criticism would be that for a VN featuring music prominently in it's plot, the OST gets real repetitive real fast. Probably due to budget constraints when they were originally developing it though.

What a cute ending. What a depressing VN overall. In hindsight, all the reveals were predictable.  8/10

I've now done Fal's route on top of Lise's and I'm about halfway through Torta's. (assuming the structure stays about the same)

I like Symphonic Rain, but it feels little stale. The characters are sympathetic and the plot is solid, although pretty predictable at times, but the game lacks something. Somehow it doesn't really draw me into the story and the conclusions feel little halfhearted at times, or something. I don't know, I haven't really figured out what it is that bothers me yet. But I guess it says something that my favorite part of Symphonic Rain so far is the minigame and music.

I hope the rest of the routes surprise me positively.    

IMO, the best aspect of Symphonic Rain is it's atmosphere, which is a risky move in storytelling if someone doesn't appreciate it. I enjoyed Fal's route because of it's atmosphere. Try to soak up every drop of it is my advice, but if it doesn't work then I guess all I could say is that Fal's route is great for it's latter parts, and especially after reading the other routes. Just keep reading~.

I finally finished Fal's route

Holy shit did this fall apart.

It started off pretty good, loved the art, music and the atmosphere. But then the problems came along rather suddenly. Firstly as I said before the route was a little too padded for my liking and dragged on for a bit too long. My real problems came at the peak of  the drama.

I. Fucking. Hated. It.

Fal does a complete 180 so suddenly and so forcefully that my immersion was completely killed. Fal's character after the matter had so little time to actually go in depth about her "true nature" that by the end of the route she has no character at all, she says that she's very different from how she acted but still for the most part acts the same which just plain confused me. It's just like in Frozen when Hans turns out to be the bad guy and it fits just as well here as it did there (that is to say; it doesn't fit at all). On top of that, Why the hell is with getting together with her considered the good ending? she more or less admits that Chris comes second to herself and that she sees him more as a means than as an ends. Chris has essentially set himself up for further heartbreak.
The plot point about Ashino didn't work either. Did they need to make Ashino a wanker? no (while I'm on him, his VA does not fit the face), they could've just said that he was interested in Fal and she rejects him, the fact that he was double-crossing Chris was so rushed and had such a piss-poor closure that it barely had any weight. Heck, a love triangle between the three would've been better than the story we got.

Damn, I don't think I've left a route this angry since Mare's route in Hoshizora. Which is a pity because I was really enjoying Symphonic Rain, Hopefully the other routes don't disappoint me