Thank God for Jim Sterling

Nimbus

my thoughts exactly. ive really lost interest in a lot of game before they came out, or im very skeptic of them. cant tell you how many times ive heard people cry out how great a game looks only to be disappointed. angry joe made a video called "Top Ten Reasons 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' is going to be Awesome" only to look like an idiot once he actually had to play it. i remember being cynical when Alien Isolation showed a gameplay demo and it thought it was heavily scripted. i almost passed on the game. thank christ i didnt, as it was the best game of 2014.

i miss being excited about games. i miss seeing a trailer for a game and going "THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!" only to have most of them disappoint. you can only get excited about indie games since they pretty much have to deliver what they promise, otherwise theyll receive a shit storm of hate and no one will buy the game. for a small developer, thats a huge deal.

I have never once pre ordered anything ever, and so far i've been able to find everything i wanted to find after it actually came out, and I hope people realize how silly it is to preorder a triple A game that's just going to be available everywhere anyway.

Ah good old days where DLC meant extra content and not "literally a chunk of the game", or even better, when you had a whole game when you handed out 60 bucks and you didn't need to worry about anything else.

I never blame companies for these practices though, they're running a business and being profitable, it's people's fault for falling into their crap. I really hope people start becoming more skeptical of game trailers instead of handing out cash before they even have the game ready.

Think before you open your wallet, that's really all. Don't support non costumer friendly business tactics by not opening your wallet, that's when they'll realize they need to change something.

Jim's videos are a constant reminder of why it's great to follow niche games over those favored by the majority. Not only are preorders more worth it ( especially since they can come with artbooks, music CDs and the occasional oppai mousepad B)) , but the developers tend to appreciate their customers. Every upcoming game that I've gotten hyped for has been niche like the next Senran Kagura games, Project X Zone 2, any Kyonyuu Fantasy game and Xenoblade Chronicles X while triple A stuff usually only has me curious but willing to wait for reviews.

Thank god for Jim Sterling? Thank god for pretty much any game-vlog maker ever, because pretty much every game-vlogger or journalist has been constantly bashing the concept of DLC for years now.  

The AAA gaming industry is shitty. DLC beyond expansions is silly. Games that exploit DLC or pay-to-win tactics are rarely anything but garbage in the first place, so the concept doesn't directly effect me all that much.

EA game? meh

I only care about kickstarter games this days and nothing more.

Thank god for Jim Sterling? Thank god for pretty much any game-vlog maker ever, because pretty much every game-vlogger or journalist has been constantly bashing the concept of DLC for years now.  

The AAA gaming industry is shitty. DLC beyond expansions is silly. Games that exploit DLC or pay-to-win tactics are rarely anything but garbage in the first place, so the concept doesn't directly effect me all that much.

Kickstarter has put out like 2 games that were anything but disappointing cash-ins

This is why I mostly play JRPGs nowadays. The triple A games that come out look boring as hell, and they are never as good as the try to be. JRPGs are often just what they meant to be, and their trailers/previews don't lie to me.

Also moe is infinitely better than gritty macho men.

On the other hand I really like AA-games like Witcher, Dark Souls and Metro for example. They combine the best of both worlds, technical quality of  AAA games and the soul of lovingly crafted game.

Aside from a few gems that the AAA game industry churns out once every few years, I've mostly ignored them as a whole.  I got burned with pre-orders as a kid, and since then I've only pre-ordered games that actually give me a reason to (exclusive outside-of-game-content, discount, etc.) and that aren't that expensive in the first place.  I flat-out refused to pre-order GTA V for PC, even when I was all but certain that I was going to get it, because I had no idea what quality port it was going to be, and I'm not sorry about that, even if it would have cut down on my time I spent waiting to play it.  Jim Sterling and I think alike, apparently, because when I saw that trailer, the first thing in my mind was, "Oh, where's the DLC teaser?"  I was not disappointed.

You realize Jim took bribes from game developers for games he covered right you also realize that he censored discussion regarding GamerGate and threatened to quit when people called him out on it? He isn't a nice man.

http://theralphretort.com/jim-sterling-shove-ethics-arse/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DIfNk-LT_Ss

You realize Jim took bribes from game developers for games he covered right you also realize that he censored discussion regarding GamerGate and threatened to quit when people called him out on it? He isn't a nice man.

http://theralphretort.com/jim-sterling-shove-ethics-arse/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DIfNk-LT_Ss

So? I have yet to encounter someone that could be genuinely considered a "good" person, but that dosnt make anything he says in the vid false. Also, I don't blame him for avoiding gamer gate. Both sides were chalked full of assholes, but somehow each had a massive following. The only way to win was to not mess with the subject.

So? I have yet to encounter someone that could be genuinely considered a "good" person, but that dosnt make anything he says in the vid false. Also, I don't blame him for avoiding gamer gate. Both sides were chalked full of assholes, but somehow each had a massive following. The only way to win was to not mess with the subject.

This, also I have yet to see anything about him taking bribes, and an article about a single tweet from a website that in another article claims that the reason why he didn't get a bunch of flame for a tweet was because he "paid off the SJW mafia" doesn't exactly scream "credible" to me. But this isn't the right topic to discuss that.

I used to preorder things, and I've actually managed to avoid preordering the stuff that ended up being shit, but there's no way in hell I'm preordering anything without seeing quite a bit of gameplay first (I actually preordered Cities: Skylines a day before it came out because there were a bunch of reviewers already playing it) in the next couple of years, because most devs seem to have decided that the extra moolah they get from spending less on a game and more on preorder hype is worth more than consumer goodwill. The sad thing is they're not wrong, after the mess that the latest Assassins Creed game was I'll be surprised if the next AC game doesn't get just as many preorders.

The only game I'll preorder at this point is 

1) Indie,

(or)

2)Niche,

(or)

3) A franchise I love to death (and TBH, there are only, like, five of those.).

I think I can actually list all games I'd preorder

Bioshock 4

Zero Escape 3 (LE)

Danganronpa 3 (LE)

Portal 3 Any Valve game

System Shock 3

It seems only one of these games are ever going to get released... sigh

A sequel to Thomas Was Alone/ Terraria, and some other indies

Anything by Edmund McMillen

I find it interesting that a few people have mentioned Kickstarter.
In a way, Kickstarter is actually worse than pre-orders because you can't even be guaranteed a finished product (much like early-access). That being Said, Kickstarter isn't all bad and certainly has a better reputation than early-access.

I can't remember the last time I payed attention to any AAA game news. I've just lost interest in what the marketing departments try to shove in my face and just care for what people think about said game a few weeks after release. Unless it's a game I know my group of friends will buy I probably won't give it a glance until after release. (Too busy watching anime/reading/playing vns to care about games much these days anyways lol)

i pretty much have always followed the logic that preorders were intended to make sure you get a copy of something that was either limited in number or guaranteed to sell out on release, and since digital games by definition can not sell out or be limited in number i don't pre-order games in digital format, the only game i ever pre-orderd was in the late 90's someone released a translated repro of a ranma 1/2 fighting game for the snes i pre-orderd that and a few years later it was destroyed in a basement flood. 

as for paid dlc, i don't bother if you wait for a while after release almost all AAA games will have a edition released that contains most if not all the dlc. dlc was meant to add content to extend the life of a title between releases back when games weren't cranked out slightly updated versions of last years games. this crap with locked on disk, store exclusive, pre-order exclusive and other shit on consumer practice dlc like season passes that we have now is as nosebleed said. we as a consumer base accepted it , we encouraged the behavior with flocking to stores for pre-orders and paid dlc that adds lil to the game or is supposed to be part of the original release in the fist place. 

you cant really apply all the fault to the company's producing the games after all we voted with our wallets. id say fault like 50-50 with consumers who accepted and encouraged it and the game company's who keep doing it and escalating the practices.