"But I Love You" - funded at $43,000

Darklord Rooke

Dating sims tend to revolve around the protagonist being surrounded by a harem of their preferred gender (or, in some cases, animal) who are more or less overtly enamored and at your disposal to woo, date, wine and dine. Being showered in the attention and affection of a suite of attractive, available prospects is framed as a given in the genre, and to date none have raised the question of just why such a scenario may exist. The horrifyingly brilliant mind behind Gorshatastic!, Mel Gorsha, has created the visual novel But I Love You. to turn the genre on its head. Yes, you’re a male surrounded by attractive young women who can’t get enough of you… but to what end?

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/12/29/greenlight-district-but-i-love-you-stones-of-sorrow-dungeons-robots-d-the-atom-shifter-helpless/126212/

What is "But I love you."?  

"But I love you." is a visual novel/dating sim for PC, Mac, and Linux...or at least, it starts off that way.  

Once you get in town, the occupants all flock to you, intrigued by the stranded newcomer. At first, they try to help in their own little ways, but as they grow attached, they try to convince you to stay with them. Forever. That's when you notice things are very, very wrong in this town, from the datable characters to the setting. Once the player starts to notice a trend of the girls starting to be slightly, well, nuts, it becomes a puzzle horror game. The game still features multiple endings like a dating sim, some of them romantic, some where nothing happens, and a few where the player is...dead. You also have the option of ignoring all of the bad stuff and pretending everything is a-ok to keep scoring with the ladies.

The game features cute girls (obviously) with hundreds of possible expressions, over forty possible endings, timed puzzles and scavenger hunts, an original soundtrack, and fantastic artwork. Features we would like to include: a choice between male or female playable character, full voice acting, downloadable event art, unlockable scenes, special minigames, and multiple languages.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gorshatastic/but-i-love-you-a-horrific-take-on-dating-sims

16a30e286c327c5d78f8280da548d394_large.g

28b827dc5a8b0c22f6d99ad32c6fe7ef_large.g

This Indie VN which seeks to evolve the Dating Sim genre has surged past their meagre 8k goal, activating a bunch of exciting stretch goals in the process. Things like "custom gender," "full voice-acting", and "we'll take your money and build a house on the moon instead." 

However it DOES look fascinating, and I'll be keeping an eye on its progress. Unfortunately I can't find a sample of the game's prose atm :(

I'm always extremely wary of games whose purpose are to "turn a genre on its head". Always been a believer that the process isn't all that interesting, however people seem to flock around it a lot. 

It could also just be a simple yandere game, but that'd be disappointing.

However, it could also turn out to be interesting so I'll let you guys go ahead and do the prospection :P

You also have the option of ignoring all of the bad stuff and pretending everything is a-ok to keep scoring with the ladies.

"See? They are just FRIENDLY (closes eyes and covers ears), so glad I moved here..." (sweat drop rolling doing his forehead)

Could be interesting, depending what they do with it and its overall depth.

as they grow attached, they try to convince you to stay with them. Forever. That's when you notice things are very, very wrong in this town. Once the player starts to notice a trend of the girls starting to be slightly, well, nuts, it becomes a puzzle horror game. The game still features multiple endings like a dating sim, some of them romantic, some where nothing happens, and a few where the player is...dead

Yandere......... 160wvom.jpg

very interesting ........

I should try it at least once.

The game still features multiple endings like a dating sim, some of them romantic, some where nothing happens, and a few where the player is...dead.

hQh25yL.jpg

Well, more seriously, I have the impression that it's a game full of yanderes. It's not I like this a lot, but a dating sim is rare enough to appreciate it.

Being showered in the attention and affection of a suite of attractive, available prospects is framed as a given in the genre, and to date none have raised the question of just why such a scenario may exist. 

While I didn't read it yet, based from what I heard about the VN, this really sounds like Harumade, Kururu.

While flipping genres on their head is something I really enjoy, a dumb statement like that alone is already detracting from my interest a lot. I can name at least one more VN that makes it its goal to twist and deconstruct the conceptions of eroge itself, and I didn't really read that many VNs in the first place (very little, actually) - so I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking from this.

Well, let's wait and see how it turns out, I suppose.

While I didn't read it yet, based from what I heard about the VN, this really sounds like Harumade, Kururu.

While flipping genres on their head is something I really enjoy, a dumb statement like that alone is already detracting from my interest a lot. I can name at least one more VN that makes it its goal to twist and deconstruct the conceptions of eroge itself

Except Harumade, Kururu is sci-fi/slice of life and But I Love You looks like psychological horror. Fairly different beasts. Also marketing talk is just marketing talk, most companies sound like numpties to hard-core fans of the genre when trying to market stuff (*looks at Bioware and Bethesda.*) They were probably only talking about translated novels when making that statement.

Does the Story innovate

There are currently no translated harem stories like it. Untranslated stuff maybe, but for some reason a lot of the best stuff remains untranslated. Thus stuff like this is made to fill a vacant market. 

This. Butter on a piece of toast is great.

A scaping of butter on 40 pieces of toast isn't.

As Down pointed out, given the nature of the game this probably includes Bad Ends.