What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Just finished Tokyo Ghoul RootA

It had a lot of potential and it's many parts were indeed done well.
But unfortunately they did not properly integrate the various parts. The pacing was a mess and every event kept on adding up more plot-holes and loose ends. The ending was especially weird, there was a nice buildup for an ending but then it just abruptly cuts off.
Still even with all the defects, the latter episodes were interesting and fun to watch.

I hit that time of the year where I'm in this weird slump and cant read any of my VNs or play any of my handheld games

Which means it's now time for moar anime and now all you animu elitists who watch 24/7 and are thus overexposed and tired of recyclism and life in general will laugh when I say I settled on Asterisk Wars, because of

High skoo superpower/combat-ready peeps, some delicious ecchi goin' ons, an op-sleeper guy protag, and most importantly, a pink haired capable tsundere princess heroine? Yo this screams Generic 101, but hey it's been like 5 years since I watched one of these so I still got plenty of mileage. I think. But I'm likin' what I see so far.

There's also an S2 and the game for the Vita was localized earlier this Summer(da fk that actually happens?), hopefully after meandering with this shit I can get back in the mood to read again.

8 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

I hit that time of the year where I'm in this weird slump and cant read any of my VNs or play any of my handheld games

Which means it's now time for moar anime and now all you animu elitists who watch 24/7 and are thus overexposed and tired of recyclism and life in general will laugh when I say I settled on Asterisk Wars, because of

High skoo superpower/combat-ready peeps, some delicious ecchi goin' ons, an op-sleeper guy protag, and most importantly, a pink haired capable tsundere princess heroine? Yo this screams Generic 101, but hey it's been like 5 years since I watched one of these so I still got plenty of mileage. I think. But I'm likin' what I see so far.

There's also an S2 and the game for the Vita was localized earlier this Summer(da fk that actually happens?), hopefully after meandering with this shit I can get back in the mood to read again.

It's literally the king of generic anime. I've never seen in my life an anime that was this soulless and empty. So yeah, sure works as entertainment if you're into it.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

It's literally the king of generic anime. I've never seen in my life an anime that was this soulless and empty. So yeah, sure works as entertainment if you're into it.

I tried hard to like it, almost for the same reason as @Eclipsed since I love pink haired heroines, yet it was so meh all along. Not to mention it managed to add a character with the most annoying voice acting in the history of anime - that was one of its most notable features as an anime. Not good.

11 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I tried hard to like it, almost for the same reason as @Eclipsed since I love pink haired heroines, yet it was so meh all along. Not to mention it managed to add a character with the most annoying voice acting in the history of anime - that was one of its most notable features as an anime. Not good.

I personally find it fascinating as a case of study. I really meant it when I said it's the king of generic anime. It's like the best anime to study genre-particular clichés and how to do them the worst possible, and the art of making blockbusters out of terrible material without improving the source one bit. The MC is a Frankenstein monster of all the MC clichés that exist, the heroine is the awful kind of tsundere that makes 0 sense, the deadpan loli is just lazy and broken, the boobfest loli is an example of sexism in anime, etc. I love it xD

c14a2d135023d7e0bbfefdb382a3e10a.png

9 hours ago, ittaku said:

For the record, if I watched this right after something like Rakudai kishi no Calvary I would've burned Asterisk to the ground fierce no hesitation, but for now I'm a tasteless ignorant sap :P 

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

For the record, if I watched this right after something like Rakudai kishi no Calvary I would've burned Asterisk to the ground fierce no hesitation, but for now I'm a tasteless ignorant sap :P 

Glad that's the one you compared it to, for that is my reference for just how good that formula could be (plus Stella rocks my gonads.) I've rewatched that series 5 times. To be fair, I have to admit that I finished the entire season of Asterisk but that was mainly because I kept hoping it would get better during the final climactic battles... but it didn't :mellow:

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Lel, precisely I had been tempted to end my message with a "if you want that concept but done with some manner of taste, watch Rakudai," but decided not to since you supposedly already knew what kind of anime Asterisk was and wanted to watch it for pure, horrifying enjoyment :Teeku:

18 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Ironically both Rakudai and Asterisk aired in the same season. Having watched both while airing my distaste of Asterisk is pretty high.

Isn't the only thing people praise Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry for the fact that the main couple gets into a relationship? Literally everything else is just LN tropes that have been done 100 times over. I seriously can not fathom why the show gets so much praise when it's just the same ecchi battle romcom LN adaptation that happens every single season that has maybe one or two elements that are slightly unique but ultimately don't contribute to the series being memorable at all.

I basically put it under the "Good if you've seen a few anime, probably not so fun if you've seen more than 100 anime" category.

I agree it's better than Asterisk, but fuck me if it crosses the "generic" bar.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

Isn't the only thing people praise Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry for the fact that the main couple gets into a relationship? Literally everything else is just LN tropes that have been done 100 times over. I seriously can not fathom why the show gets so much praise when it's just the same ecchi battle romcom LN adaptation that happens every single season that has maybe one or two elements that are slightly unique but ultimately don't contribute to the series being memorable at all.

I basically put it under the "Good if you've seen a few anime, probably not so fun if you've seen more than 100 anime" category.

Because it does plenty of other stuff well, too. For one, they don't just get into a relationship, but have an actual working, human relationship, with sexual attraction being in the table. The only part regarding this that was disappointing was the episode in the mountain where the anime glorified the guy's position as "I wanna wait til we are married" and made the girl feel bad for having proposed sex.

The support characters are better, even with a queer in Alice (was it Alice?).

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I've seen maybe 500 anime and I love it. Why? It is indeed generic but every trope is done right. Not a single one falls flat in my opinion, and I don't just mean the relationship side. It's like the culmination of 2 decades of tropes all pulled together and executed well. Is it perfect? Hell no, it's no Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood but there have been precious few shows that made me grin from ear to ear from the start to finish the way Rakudai did. If it didn't work for you, then so be it, but there will always be shows that most people like yet don't gel with you on that level (for me it's Clannad.)

I guess I'm just too tired of this genre to find any form of entertainment in this show.  You can say it uses its tropes well, but so do 100 other shows like it, because these tropes are so cookie cutter. There's nothing new to discover, so I can't understand what makes this one so special versus basically every other LN adaptation of its ilk. I guess I should have written "when you've seen 100 other anime exactly like it" rather than just "100 anime". 

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I guess I'm just too tired of this genre to find any form of entertainment in this show.  You can say it uses its tropes well, but so do 100 other shows like it, because these tropes are so cookie cutter. There's nothing new to discover, so I can't understand what makes this one so special versus basically every other LN adaptation of its ilk. I guess I should have written "when you've seen 100 other anime exactly like it" rather than just "100 anime". 

Well, count the anime adaptations that do queer characters in a non-insulting way, and MCs that get into a mature relationship with sex on the table, all inside this genre. I'd say just that already makes it pretty particular.

Finished S1 of Asterisk

Overall pretty enjoyable. Nothing new offered to the table, of course, but we all have our favorite foods that we can always count on to give us delicious bliss 'les you overdo it and develop anti taste buds

One of the best parts about going through this anime though was getting to the last 10 seconds of each episode and hearing the godly Waiting for the Rain start up (i have a massive hardon for piano+violins, sue me), seriously more animus need to implement catchy ass EDs towards the end of their episodes, they really do a good job hyping up moments like finding out Kirin is Rank 1 and whatnot

Lrgf1i7.jpg

Obviously Julis is best grill for me, sophisticated, capable, pink, great partner dynamics with protag, but still manages to be super dere:
PfmEPm3.jpg

NGL, I was actually as dimwitted as Ayato here and would've never realized that a princess like her also wanted to be patted by him especially after seeing him pat the other grills  :rimu:

I'll give S2 a run sometime later, but for now I need to bail before the hawks come lynch me for lowering the standards of anime with my being able to enjoy mediocrity :holo:

4 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Finished S1 of Asterisk

Overall pretty enjoyable. Nothing new offered to the table, of course, but we all have our favorite foods that we can always count on to give us delicious bliss 'les you overdo it and develop anti taste buds

One of the best parts about going through this anime though was getting to the last 10 seconds of each episode and hearing the godly Waiting for the Rain start up (i have a massive hardon for piano+violins, sue me), seriously more animus need to implement catchy ass EDs towards the end of their episodes, they really do a good job hyping up moments like finding out Kirin is Rank 1 and whatnot

Lrgf1i7.jpg

Obviously Julis is best grill for me, sophisticated, capable, pink, great partner dynamics with protag, but still manages to be super dere:
PfmEPm3.jpg

NGL, I was actually as dimwitted as Ayato here and would've never realized that a princess like her also wanted to be patted by him especially after seeing him pat the other grills  :rimu:

I'll give S2 a run sometime later, but for now I need to bail before the hawks come lynch me for lowering the standards of anime with my being able to enjoy mediocrity :holo:

Mediocrity is god-tier compared to Asterisk.

*hawks away*

52 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Finally watched Wolf Children, would have been a 10/10 sobfest had the music been as perfectly composed as all the other elements. As it is, still absolutely worth a watch or 2

I love Wolf Children but, I have soo many questions about that implied bestiality scene.........