[news] Sekai Project releases another TL survey, hints at Key

Narcosis

To keep it short, here's the deal: Sekai Project made another survey and is currently asking people about their consumer preferences, including retail stores, favourite studios, and individual games. Furthermore, they prepared a list of Key's titles, asking which of the them people would be interested to see translated and localised. It's clear that Sekai Project has the means to bring Key's works to overseas fans, mostly through crowdfunding, more over since they were involved with the 15th Key Anniversary Letter and both Key and Visual Arts already proven to be interested as well.

SURVEY

I guess it's great news for everyone, especially fans of Key & Visual Arts. Be sure to fill in all the answers honestly and spread the news, if possible. This might prove to be the beggining of something great - if a respectable studio like Key will find out there's a viable market outside Japan, and there's a reasonable way to support the localisation projects, other studios might follow as well.

Doesn't it need to be released first? 

It might actually hint that Key itself is partially involved with the survey, since it's not some kind of a mystery that SP has certainly acquired contacts with them via all their previous work, including the 15th Anniversary Letter project. Key might be currently waiting for the results to decide, whether it's worth to give it a shot and work alongside SP to publish their games overseas.

Results aside, it's already clear SP puts a lot of effort into their work and tries to remain as transparent, as possible. In my eyes, their close relationship with the community and focus on crowdfunding is already showing it's benefits.

It has happened before?

In the VN industry not that I know of. But what i'm saying is that it's not impossible to happen. Of course it's unlikely but, just putting it out there.

You can have licenses with companies for their product before it's been released as long as you reach an agreement with them.

But realistically it probably won't happen because Sekai Project will likely ask for crowdfunding for this to close the deal so yeah.

well,I would support it,but I think Clannad,Tomoyo After and Little Busters should be priorities since Doki took over the remaining untranslated Key titles and all they did was getting Tomoyo After 18+ version done,and the rest:
Clannad still not completely done
Little Busters EX moving reaaaaally slooooow
Tomoyo After All Ages content still untranslated

if Sekai Project is actually going to do something and release them,then I will support it.

Did my survey. I gave them my opinion. I hope they move away from KEY stuff (besides Angels Beats) and start bringing new releases from Japan to the West. KEY's ... only good game is Tomoyo After ... hmm, yeah. :/ Little Busters! just few arcs and it was filled with filler scenes .... Angel Beats is an exception.

Just wondering if someone is going to do Schwarzesmarken, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (<-- no one will probably do it since it's very depressing VN), and Angel Beats (they'll probably do this one).

I'm tired ...

The key stuff is not that surprising, They already licensed Planetarian, after all. They probably have easy access to the rest of Key's stuff, assuming Planetarian works out. 

I am for Sekai if they don't continue to release all ages titles only....

They will probably refrain from nukige but they've implied an intent to release an 18+ version of Grisaia and have asked questions about 18+ VNs on the survey. There are great all-ages VNs as well, such as some of the other Key games mentioned on the survey. Releasing games like Clannad could go a long way towards changing the way westerners think about romance-themed visual novels.

It has happened before?

It only rarely happens for games published by third-party localization studios. Atlus USA actually licensed some non-Atlus games prior to release, so it happens. That doesn't mean you should expect a day-and-date worldwide release. I don't expect Sekai Project to do this, though. The reason why it doesn't happen is simply because of the risk involved. It's a big commitment to make for a game whose success in Japan can't be judged yet. And while Clannad is well known in some anime circles, Key probably doesn't have a big enough name here to rely on that alone.

To be honest, I don't see much of a reason to release Key games, nor am I a fan of them anymore, either. Key used to be a pivotal studio in terms of visual novel development, back in the days when utsuge based vn's were high on rise, but nowadays they became rather stagnant in terms of content; I doubt they will come up with something new and fresh anytime soon, while others are moving forward. It's definately easier to publish older, highly regarded games but in my opinion Sekai Project should move forward. leaving the old stuff behind and trying to focus on the present and future should be their major concern.

There's a lot of great studios and titles, that are often left forgotten or overshadowed by those cheap charage and moege games, mass-produced by all the current studios. I don't mind them, but since they often lack even any sort of a solid story, instead simply focusing on character quirks, there's a lot left to be desired. Reading great, interesting and highly entertaining stories is my main objective in case of visual novels.