What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I must be quite the casual gamer. Currently playing The Sims 3, and this thing can be hilarious when it wants to.
I just dared another Sim to "Divide by 0", which led her to eventually catch fire as she desperately tried to.

How very literal, lel.

Although I get the feeling The Sims basically still "sell" cuz they are popular for being super goofy.

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

How very literal, lel.

Although I get the feeling The Sims basically still "sell" cuz they are popular for being super goofy.

That or it was just a really well made game, gameplay wise.
I mean aren't there still plenty of people playing roller coaster tycoon 3?

4 hours ago, havoc said:

That or it was just a really well made game, gameplay wise.
I mean aren't there still plenty of people playing roller coaster tycoon 3?

Yeah, but that was many, many years ago. Sims was a solid game, but after time passed it kinda faded to the background... except for the murderous plots by players and sometimes hilarious silliness of the game. A game like Sims needs its popularity to sell, and boy did that kind of stuff and stories help them keep selling.
Not only that, but attract new players.

Speaking of strange Sims stories, one of my sims just got up in the middle of the night, all his needs fulfilled, and expired right there. Granted he was an Elder, but what kind of damnable luck do you need to die of old age 2 days after becoming an elder?
He was my income earner! The old woman he's married to has a miserable pension of 100. Good God what am I to do now? How do I take care of the two children? I've barely got a 1000 as is.

RIP

And it's situations like this one, glitches, relationships, silly things, that make the sims as a game stick. I'll go mourn with the rest of the family, now. We'll probably have to sell our TV, now.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Speaking of strange Sims stories, one of my sims just got up in the middle of the night, all his needs fulfilled, and expired right there. Granted he was an Elder, but what kind of damnable luck do you need to die of old age 2 days after becoming an elder?
He was my income earner! The old woman he's married to has a miserable pension of 100. Good God what am I to do now? How do I take care of the two children? I've barely got a 1000 as is.

RIP

And it's situations like this one, glitches, relationships, silly things, that make the sims as a game stick. I'll go mourn with the rest of the family, now. We'll probably have to sell our TV, now.

How will you pay for the funeral.

Let me see...  Recently finished my first playthrough of Cold Steel 2, so now I'm working on replaying Persona 4, Mass Effect Trilogy(for the umpteenth time), XBLAZE Code:Embryo(not sure if that one counts as a game and not a VN though), Tales of Zesteria and Tales of Xillia 2.  And assuming I don't rage quit on it again, I'll be trying my hand at Republic Commando to see if I can get pass a certain area.

I gave into temptation and started replaying Dishonored. Holy shit. I love this game's level design of small open worlds you can traverse in any number of ways. Also, thanks to Blink and Dark Vision (teleport and wallhack respectively) I am actually being somewhat decent at a stealth game which is unheard of :P 

Currently in my first "proper" mission -Overseer Campbell- and it's SO good. Found a million ways to proceed from any single point. I've gotten the nonlethal objective, but I want to get all collectibles so I'll probably find my way back through all the way to close to Granny Rags- I'm missing a rune and three Bone Charms. It's so fucking addictive ;-;

Also I'm perpetually worried that I'll miss some collectible lol. 

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

I gave into temptation and started replaying Dishonored. Holy shit. I love this game's level design of small open worlds you can traverse in any number of ways. Also, thanks to Blink and Dark Vision (teleport and wallhack respectively) I am actually being somewhat decent at a stealth game which is unheard of :P 

Currently in my first "proper" mission -Overseer Campbell- and it's SO good. Found a million ways to proceed from any single point. I've gotten the nonlethal objective, but I want to get all collectibles so I'll probably find my way back through all the way to close to Granny Rags- I'm missing a rune and three Bone Charms. It's so fucking addictive ;-;

Also I'm perpetually worried that I'll miss some collectible lol. 

Dishonored is the easiest stealth game i played, ever. 

I think Fallout 1.5 is fucking with me, after a long grueling gang battle I died. So, being the cheating bastard I am I turned down the combat difficulty........ a enemy character one shoted me within a couple rounds at full health:pyaa:.

P.S. I find it highly ironic that the early fallout games advertise all these different skills and claimed that you could play the game however you want, when in reality if you didn't make a combat build you always got the shaft. 

4 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I think Fallout 1.5 is fucking with me, after a long grueling gang battle I died. So, being the cheating bastard I am I turned down the combat difficulty........ a enemy character one shoted me within a couple rounds at full health:pyaa:.

P.S. I find it highly ironic that the early fallout games advertise all these different skills and claimed that you could play the game however you want, when in reality if you didn't make a combat build you always got the shaft. 

You just don't know how to play other than combat skill, i can assure you, you can finish both games with minimal to no fighting. 

9 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

You just don't know how to play other than combat skill, i can assure you, you can finish both games with minimal to no fighting. 

Here is the thing though, that is only if you have an extensive guide opened at the same time you are playing. Yes theoretically you can finish the game with barely any fighting, but only if you know in advance what every single skill check is and how high it is for every quest. I love the fallout series, but they are not the best designed games.

13 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Here is the thing though, that is only if you have an extensive guide opened at the same time you are playing. Yes theoretically you can finish the game with barely any fighting, but only if you know in advance what every single skill check is and how high it is for every quest. I love the fallout series, but they are not the best designed games.

Not really, more like experience and a bit of luck. 

Just finished Persona 5. Oh boy... how I hate finishing long games that I enjoy - this one took me around 135 hours, and I've enjoyed every minute of that time immensely. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm left with nothing but a void now. Why, why did it have to end? :komari:

Anyways, about the game itself. I've talked about the gameplay and structure here before, I think it is easily superior than the previous games. So is the presentation - and in my opinion, even the music and the story. The story was the part I was unsure about for the longest time. For most of the game, the plottwists are predictable and there is nothing that shocking happening - which isn't really a problem, because everything that happens is just so damn stylish anyway - but then, then the endgame came and blew my mind into pieces. It doesn't have any never-done before incredibly clever twists, but what it does have makes it an amazing sequel in my eyes. I won't touch any more on this to avoid any sort of spoilers possible, but Persona 5 certainly goes places. I also found the Social Links Co-operations much more interesting in terms of story and mechanics - by the end of the game I really cared about all the side characters I maxed out my Co-ops with, which is something I can't really say about Golden (and what I played of 3).

If there was any part I felt like was lacking compared to the previous games, it would be the events, however. By that I mean fun times with your party members, especially when compared to P4G. Now, this is a pretty unfair comparison for two main reasons - one being the overall tone of the story, and the second one being Golden having the advantage of a re-released complete version... so I am hard-pressed to hold it against P5 as negatives in the first place.

Speaking of Golden, there is one more thing I would like to mention about Persona 5, that being the ending. Persona 5 has only bad ends and a "normal" ending. However, in this "normal" ending, things get absolutely nuts, to the level of the true ending in Golden. You'd think there is no problem then - things escalate nicely and get wrapped up in a satisfying manner, and everyone is happy. Only... it just doesn't feel right. Not just because you'd expect a Persona game after 4 to have a true ending, but because there are a few strangely ambiguous and seemingly meaningful scenes left. Is Atlus trolling everyone, using the existence of Persona 4's complicated true ending to make people play P5 forever? Are they planning to release a true ending DLC? Is this just a cruel bait for the inevitable "Persona 5: Platinum" that will come out a few years later? Or did things change during development and Atlus just conveniently forgot awfully suspicious scenes and choices in the game? Whatever it is, it is driving me and a lot of people who've finished P5 nuts - so if you're waiting for the western release, I sincerely hope this mystery is resolved by the time you get to play the game, so you don't have to experience this maddening confusion.

Finished Mass Effect 2 just now.

Pretty epic ending although I think the story wasn't as good as in the first part. I mean, technically 80% of the game was gathering your team together. Each member then got a loyalty quest and then hardly interacted with you anymore. It was impressivly done, very cinematic and almost like an interactive movie, but it doesn't change the fact the story structure was extremely simplistic. It makes me wonder why ME2 is considered the strongest part of the series. Were people really that annoyed by the mako?! The resource gathering in ME2 wasn't that great either.

22 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Finished Mass Effect 2 just now.

Pretty epic ending although I think the story wasn't as good as in the first part. I mean, technically 80% of the game was gathering your team together. 

The main writer left after the first one, which is why ME1 had a plot and ME2 was a glorified recruitment drive.

22 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

It makes me wonder why ME2 is considered the strongest part of the series. 

It's not. ME1 is considered the strongest RPG, ME3 is the strongest gaming experience (and most polished.)

ME2 is considered the weakest RPG of the three. Some RPG mechanics were put back into the 3rd one after complaints.

The people who tell you ME2 is the strongest game are a) not hardcore RPG fans and b) still sad over the ME3 ending. 95% of the ME3 game is quite superior to ME2.

ME2's core gameplay was much less RPG-like and more FPS-like. I'm comfortable with both, and the latter is indescribably faster-paced and more rewarding for me personally, so I vastly preferred ME2 over ME1 in terms of gameplay. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into ME3 and have only logged a couple hours on it, versus 100% completion of ME2's achievements, and some very high completion of ME1's (definitely not 100%, because it takes freaking forever to get those per-ally achievements).

ME2 was certainly a lot weaker on the overarching plot compared to ME, no denying that. I can actually remember all the key points of ME's plot, and still find it pretty cool in retrospect, whereas ME2 was more filled with reactions of "meh" and "that makes literally zero sense". There is a certain fanservicey appeal to the loyalty missions in ME2, though, for people who didn't get to see enough of the characters they liked in ME1. Or in other words, Tali is best girl and needs maximal screen time. Less shallowly, I thought Legion was a really interesting addition to the team, in terms of how he changed my perception of the game universe.

11 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Or in other words, Tali is best girl and needs maximal screen time.

Lol, actually Tali was the character I liked the least and the only one that wasn't loyal to me.

I was somehow furious that she wanted to hide the actions of her father and come up with some poor lies instead. Well, I made sure that every single being in the whole galaxy got to know it and I didn't care that she hated me for it. :scottsune:

25 minutes ago, Valmore said:

Dear Goodness are all the Persona games this good? I can't put it down. It's cutting into my FGO and Drift Girls and Granblue Fantasy time.

General consensus is that Persona 4 has the edge on Persona 3 in terms of characters, but that Persona 3 has the edge on Persona 4 in terms of plot. They're both great. Never played the others aside from a few hours with the original Persona long ago, which I really couldn't get into , but I understand the tone and style really changed starting with Persona 3.

I recommend the Portable version of P3 since you can get it on the Vita, since the battles are way more enjoyable since the system is nearly identical to P4's, and since what you sacrifice in graphics and bonus scenario isn't all that great anyway.

Basically, once you're done and raving about how good P4 was, you should play P3. Also, P3 has Aigis. You're gonna love Aigis.

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

General consensus is that Persona 4 has the edge on Persona 3 in terms of characters, but that Persona 3 has the edge on Persona 4 in terms of plot. They're both great. Never played the others aside from a few hours with the original Persona long ago, which I really couldn't get into , but I understand the tone and style really changed starting with Persona 3.

I recommend the Portable version of P3 since you can get it on the Vita, since the battles are way more enjoyable since the system is nearly identical to P4's, and since what you sacrifice in graphics and bonus scenario isn't all that great anyway.

Basically, once you're done and raving about how good P4 was, you should play P3. Also, P3 has Aigis. You're gonna love Aigis.

you're right on the Aigis and P3-P4 difference counts, but I'd say that you are better off sticking with the worse gameplay of P3 FES (the PS2 version ) because 3D models and environments and some really stylish cutscenes are quite a big deal.