[suggestion] New 50 VNs to read before you die

Silvz

Hello people! First of all, a disclaimer: I don't intend to do it directly nor be responsible for doing it, BUT I could help with suggestions.

For those who don't remember or don't know, there is a very famous thread called "50 translated VNs you should read before you die". As the title suggests, there Kaguya presented 50 games that are worth reading and most fans should at least look into.

But, and there is always a but, this list is more than four years old, and although it may not seem too much time, due to the huge change the VNs Localization had in these years, it is 100% safe to assume that the list is outdated, and, although many titles there are still worth it, there are MANY others now available in English that both new and old players should take a look into.

My idea is to get a new list of recommendations, where the user can view the title (in English, if available), a small description, a small recommendation (This vn is great for action fans; this title has a lot of good looking characters, etc), maybe one or two pictures and a link to buy it/how to get it.

This could be not only a part of the forum, but be featured in the front website, something like "Recommendation Tuesday", and it would be shorter/easier to do than Fuwa Reviews (without actually affecting one another).

It could even be a "100 vns to read", and have a "10 OELVNs" in it.

I got the idea for this revival after seeing a lot of similar recommendation threads and the same games being referenced in different threads. And since Fuwa doesn't host the games anymore, it would be a great way to have new players to find and buy new titles.

Ps: Umineko MUST be on the list. The rest I leave to the community to decide :P

Original thread by Kaguya:

Ps2: I have read almost all titles from this list, except for some that I'm not interested into.

PS4: Buy a Nintendo Switch!

Edited by Silvz

The House in Fata Morgana wasn't in the original thread. And WTF, CLANNAD isn't in the original thread!? CLANNAD is king when it comes to emotional feels...

Guess I'll toss Lucy- The Eternity she Wished For, in that list too.

I'm a little biased, but I'll personally recommend If My Heart Had Wings (light hearted rom com about second chances, and flying a glider). And Wagamana High Spec (Eroge and manga references, moe characters and cutesy music, and a LOT of H content).

1 hour ago, r0xm2n said:

The House in Fata Morgana wasn't in the original thread. And WTF, CLANNAD isn't in the original thread!? CLANNAD is king when it comes to emotional feels...

I'm a little biased, but I'll personally recommend If My Heart Had Wings (light hearted rom com about second chances, and flying a glider). And Wagamana High Spec (Eroge and manga references, moe characters and cutesy music, and a LOT of H content).

Fata Morgana wasn't translated at the time, and Clannad only had a TERRIBLE translation. See, when I say the list is outdated, is because there are many changes for real.

3 hours ago, Silvz said:

Hello people! First of all, a disclaimer: I don't intend to do it directly nor be responsible for doing it, BUT I could help with suggestions.

For those who don't remember or don't know, there is a very famous thread called "50 translated VNs you should read before you die". As the title suggests, there Kaguya presented 50 games that are worth reading and most fans should at least look into.

But, and there is always a but, this list is more than four years old, and although it may not seem too much time, due to the huge change the VNs Localization had in these years, it is 100% safe to assume that the list is outdated, and, although many titles there are still worth it, there are MANY others now available in English that both new and old players should take a look into.

My idea is to get a new list of recommendations, where the user can view the title (in English, if available), a small description, a small recommendation (This vn is great for action fans; this title has a lot of good looking characters, etc), maybe one or two pictures and a link to buy it/how to get it.

This could be not only a part of the forum, but be featured in the front website, something like "Recommendation Tuesday", and it would be shorter/easier to do than Fuwa Reviews (without actually affecting one another).

It could even be a "100 vns to read", and have a "10 OELVNs" in it.

I got the idea for this revival after seeing a lot of similar recommendation threads and the same games being referenced in different threads. And since Fuwa doesn't host the games anymore, it would be a great way to have new players to find and buy new titles.

Ps: Umineko MUST be on the list. The rest I leave to the community to decide :P

Original thread by Kaguya:

Ps2: I have read almost all titles from this list, except for some that I'm not interested into.

PS4: Buy a Nintendo Switch!

Good ideia, the list needs to be revised, I also think that including series would be Nice And leave more space open to other VNs (like instead of putting Ever 17 & Remember 11, putting "Infinity Series", "When they cry series", "Zero Escape series", "science adventure series" and etcetera...)

6 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

I also think that including series would be Nice And leave more space open to other VNs (like instead of putting Ever 17 & Remember 11, putting "Infinity Series", "When they cry series", "Zero Escape series", "science adventure series" and etcetera...)

Hrm, maybe it would be better to simply create an "alternative" list which doesn't include vns from the original 50?

2 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Hrm, maybe it would be better to simply create an "alternative" list which doesn't include vns from the original 50?

Like Muv-Luv? (Sorry had to make the joke)

But yeah, It also be useful.

5 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Something you have to understand with lists like this one... updating them is a pain in the ass.  I don't think Fata Morgana was in English the last time he updated, and Wagamama is about as average as a charage can get.  Wings... well, the people that like it love it, the rest of us dislike it intensely.

7 hours ago, Clephas said:

Something you have to understand with lists like this one... updating them is a pain in the ass.  I don't think Fata Morgana was in English the last time he updated, and Wagamama is about as average as a charage can get.  Wings... well, the people that like it love it, the rest of us dislike it intensely.

Make a Japanese top 50 before you die list for me. oh but exclude your fetish for rich girls tho.

Thx~

8 hours ago, Clephas said:

Exactly!

I'd totally put Fata Morgana in the list, but since I don't know much about charages, that's where other members would come

the list was supposed to be just my opinion instead of a community thing. I can make a new one if people care enough about it, though of course, you're more than welcome to do your own thing as well. At that point, might as well just do a popularity poll though. More than reflecting what the community likes overall, that thread was just me recommending stuff I like. 

Seems like a nice idea, but I always liked Clephas' lists by genres/themes better. :3 (No, I'm not asking for an update on those! It's just an example of types of lists I like!)

I really wanted to help, but guess people here knows that I play mostly otome and BL, and barely if any will ever make the cut in a 50 VNs to read thread. I could do a separate list just for this (a thread? a blog entry?), if there's enough people interested in it, because it's a lot of work...

2 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Seems like a nice idea, but I always liked Clephas' lists by genres/themes better. :3 (No, I'm not asking for an update on those! It's just an example of types of lists I like!)

I really wanted to help, but guess people here knows that I play mostly otome and BL, and barely if any will ever make the cut in a 50 VNs to read thread. I could do a separate list just for this (a thread? a blog entry?), if there's enough people interested in it, because it's a lot of work...

Not taking anything from the effort and general usefulness of the Kaguya's list, I would be all for replacing it with/transforming it into a few smaller, genre-specific ones. I think it would be much more convenient, TBH a list of 50 "must-read" titles is a bit more headache-inducing than useful to me personally - it's probably thousands of hours of reading material and when I'm actually looking for recommendations, it's for something much more specific than just universally recognized "kamige" - I can just look those out by userscores on VNDB.

Also, making this kind of list makes sense mostly if it gets a permanent, visible place on the forums, so it can serve people that are new to VNs or those exploring new genres. A blog entry would just get buried under tons of other posts after a few weeks and no one would be able to find it later without some serious forums archaeology - it would simply miss the point.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

41 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Yeah a list by genre would be pretty cool like:

10 Multiple Route Mystery VNs

10 Otome Games\Otoge VNs

10 Yaoi\Shounen-Ai VNs

10 Yuri\Shoujo-Ai VNs

10 Moeges

10 Nukiges

10 Charages

10 Kamiges

Okay I'm going too far...

Opa! I see people interested everywhere!

I agree that redoing the list would be too much, and also that we could think of a completely new version. And Kaguya, even though you were only recommending based on your opinion, for the time it was a useful list when I barely knew what VNs even were, and that is why I think it would be a nice thing to return this to the community.

What everybody should do now is to present titles you think would be interesting to be on the list, and after we have enough, we can start picking the "best" ones.

49 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Opa! I see people interested everywhere!

I agree that redoing the list would be too much, and also that we could think of a completely new version. And Kaguya, even though you were only recommending based on your opinion, for the time it was a useful list when I barely knew what VNs even were, and that is why I think it would be a nice thing to return this to the community.

What everybody should do now is to present titles you think would be interesting to be on the list, and after we have enough, we can start picking the "best" ones.

Obrigatory Umineko.

Now, Zero Escape series and infinity series would fit well in the Multiple Route Mystery category.

For Moeges, Dacapo seems fairly popular, Hatsukoi 1/1 have good ratings and I saw a lot of people complimenting It.

For Western Stuff I invoke @Plk_Lesiak, but, I think Katawa Shoujo, DDLC and Analogue series are good ones to put in.

For Nakiges we have Clannad and Little Busters.

DRAMAtical Murder is a special one to me since It was my first VN with a more than 10h lenght.

For short KN experiences we have Planetarian, Eden and other more obscure stuff like Moonshine and May Sky.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, SeniorBlitz said:

For Western Stuff I invoke @Plk_Lesiak, but, I think Katawa Shoujo, DDLC and Analogue series is are good ones to put in.

I sure agree when it goes to Analogue. :) I've also heard great things about Lucid9 but haven't played it yet. 

I can already add Kindred Spirits on the Roof and Flowers series when it goes to yuri. 

Althought if we just go dropping titles like that I pity anyone trying to turn it into a list of any kind. ;] 

10 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I sure agree when it goes to Analogue. :) I've also heard great things about Lucid9 but haven't played it yet. 

I can already add Kindred Spirits on the Roof and Flowers series when it goes to yuri. 

Althought if we just go dropping titles like that I pity anyone trying to turn it into a list of any kind. ;] 

The more varied the list, the better, since It can appeal to a lot of persons.

Gonna throw some good Nukiges here for good measure:

Otomaid @ Cafe, great trap nukige. Heard good things about Kedamono Tachi (It has very good ratings on VNDB specially for a Nukige and a NTR VN), SonoHana is obrigatory.

Chichi Miko!! Also got a lot of praise.

About Lucid9 only the Common route is released and from the looks of it the Full game is gonna be a Multiple Route Mystery VN and I'm trash for that.

3 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Sadly, until Otomege writers toss aside the DID Syndrome, their appeal will always be narrow, even amongst females.

Sadly, you're right Clephas... It's hard to put otomeges with everything else like this... For now, otomes goes in a separate list for people that are looking specifically for that.

Since I want to help, and I'm hoping I'm not digging my own grave, I can at least put everyone's opinion together. If you want to do a separate list, say now!

For now we have:

1. CLANNAD
  2. Lucy ~The Eternity She Wished For~
  3. The House in Fata Morgana
  4. Subahibi
  5. Dies Irae
  6. Analogue
  7. Doki Doki Literature Club
  8. Virtue's Last Reward
  9. If My Heart Had Wings
  10. Wagahigh  (Only two opinions: one that's worth it and one that's average. Can someone else say something?)
  11. Da Capo (Which one?)
  12. Hatsukoi 1/1
  13. Lucid9 (This game is still incomplete, does it counts?)

A question: Nukiges, Yuri and BL goes along with those? Or better to separate them too? That's it, if we're doing a single list.

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:
  1. Lucid9 (This game is still incomplete, does it counts?)

I would say yes considering the reactions it gets from people, the free episode seems to work fine as a standalone thing (I know someone mentioned reading it in another thread, first-hand experience would be appreciated). 

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

A question: Nukiges, Yuri and BL goes along with those? Or better to separate them too? That's it, if we're doing a single list.

Are there nukiges that would actually make this list? :D

And I would include yuri titles for the time being, there's not many super-high quality ones TBH and it seems we're going with one big list for now rather than a few small ones. :)