Anime Boston and Sakura-Con Speculation and Announcements thread

Decay

Alright, so a casual player probably won't get suspicious or turned off, at least not more than at something like nekopara. However, i could still see some important figure in games media finding out about the kind of stuff that was originally in maitetsu and blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. That would NOT be good for the reputation of visual novels in general

On 26/03/2016 at 3:57 AM, Satsuki said:

To be fair, Ley-Line is also an eroge, with loli <_< 

Damn it..     Related image

On 26/03/2016 at 4:46 AM, Kawasumi said:

so because it has loli's it suddenly has a bad story? I must admit that I had the same view when I heard about it first, but its apparently legit good storywise, so I wouldnt be disappointed just yet.

Interested in reading the all ages version if it doesnt butcher the whole VN 

No.. not that the story is bad. I just don't like the whole loli thing. :amane:

After seeing some of these exchanges with Sekai Project on Twitter, here's my own bit of speculation.

Sekai Project has decided to translate the 18+ content in Maitetsu or contract it out to someone that will.  This will be disseminated either via an anonymous patch (like Shiny Days) or possibly via Lose's site (perhaps behind a paywall).  Sekai Project is keeping quiet about it to preserve deniability and not set any expectations (the patch for Shiny Days was 3 months late and caused discontent among fans).

That's my prediction.  Time will tell if it's correct.

8 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Nah, that never happens here...

Poor guy.

Mostly on /jp/. I think Dovac's Steam-centric focus has been a reasonable business decision, personally. His challenge to people that want more AO stuff is also reasonable, if you want it, buy it.

Just now, Satsuki said:

I will just leave this here and go get some bleach...

I'd rather they do this. There's less narration in manga (almost non-existent) and less dialogue overall. People pay attention to the writing less. The manga medium suits dodgy writers like them more than the VN medium. Go do manga, Winged Cloud.

7 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

I'm confident its a case of a silent majority that doesn't care about ero content being cut with the vocal minority being the ones that do. 

I think the silent majority never even realizes that content was cut in the first place.  They're not given the chance to react.  Raising awareness was half the reason for my project to document censored eroge.

43 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

Steam releases make more money. Until the companies are proven otherwise buy everyone buying 18+ only, they will release all ages versions on steam. Plain and simple. I'm confident its a case of a silent majority that doesn't care about ero content being cut with the vocal minority being the ones that do. 

I'm not seeing what's your point. What's there to lose in making an 18+ version? Total sales can't possibly go anywhere but up by doing so, and the effort required is basically little to nothing if all you're doing for the steam version is taking out h-scenes of an originally 18+ game. Also, Denpasoft doesn't really have the best titles right now to judge sales. EVNs and Nekopara appeal more to casual fans, and some of them have steam fan-patches which dissuade people from buying the 18+ version. Grisaia was released months after the steam version, and also existed as a fan-translation for about 2 years. Once they release they release more long Japanese titles on there, you'll probably get more conclusive results provided outside factors don't come up, like steam patches. 

32 minutes ago, Chuee said:

I'm not seeing what's your point. What's there to lose in making an 18+ version? Total sales can't possibly go anywhere but up by doing so, and the effort required is basically little to nothing if all you're doing for the steam version is taking out h-scenes of an originally 18+ game.

According to Debonosu, translating the H-scenes for Kagura Douchuuki would've significantly increased localization costs.

42 minutes ago, Chuee said:

I'm not seeing what's your point. What's there to lose in making an 18+ version? Total sales can't possibly go anywhere but up by doing so, and the effort required is basically little to nothing if all you're doing for the steam version is taking out h-scenes of an originally 18+ game. Also, Denpasoft doesn't really have the best titles right now to judge sales. EVNs and Nekopara appeal more to casual fans, and some of them have steam fan-patches which dissuade people from buying the 18+ version. Grisaia was released months after the steam version, and also existed as a fan-translation for about 2 years. Once they release they release more long Japanese titles on there, you'll probably get more conclusive results provided outside factors don't come up, like steam patches. 

Say that to dovac.

18 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

According to Debonosu, translating the H-scenes for Kagura Douchuuki would've significantly increased localization costs.

now i had my laugh of the day. thx for cheering me up hard :/

2 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

More like they couldn't translate all the rape scenes because they didn't want any backlash.

Well it's never easy translating a game that has a lot of rape scenes since there's always the backlash chance..then again there's things like Euphoria which was loved by "everyone" :sacchan:

10 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

More like they couldn't translate all the rape scenes because they didn't want any backlash.

I believe them when they claim they don't have the resources to do a proper release.  Just look at the Greenlight page for Sora wo Aogite.  Does that look like the work of a company that cares about its image?

39 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Well, no shit. Kagura Douchuuki is a rape dungeon crawler, with a good number of those rape scenes. Compare that to say a normal eroge, where the h content might only make up say 5% of the text. Also you have to keep in mind that Debonusu literally don't care about the end product, they only care about the money. These are the people who, instead of finding a real translator and putting in effort to produce a nice script, would rather just get someone (if they don't just throw it in google translate themselves) to do a shitty hack job on it because it's easier for them. You can't say they aren't aware the game is full of incorrect grammar everywhere when you have people on steam pointing it out to them. 

5 minutes ago, Chuee said:

Also you have to keep in mind that Debonusu literally don't care about the end product, they only care about the money. 

The cynical response would be: how is this different than the other Japanese eroge developers joining the Steam rush?  They have no connection to the English audience.  In many cases, they wouldn't even know if English fans were unhappy, much less care.

Eroge companies that jettison their connection to adult content and go straight for Steam are more than likely after one thing and one thing only.