ChuSinGura 46+1 Kickstarter comes out of nowhere (with added Engrish and sketchyness)

Zenophilious

I said it on Twitter and I'll say it again here. This has got to be one of the biggest wastes of a license I have personally ever seen. A visual novel like this should be handled with care and not a Kickstarter that looks worse that Root Double's one at the beginning. Also, releasing a censored version of this VN is ridiculous. I won't be backing this at all and I'm not hoping for these guys to reach their goal. This Kickstarter needs to bomb so we can show VN companies that we won't back something just because of the VN.

Just now, FinalChaos said:

Well the vn had piqued my interest before and also heard many good things about it so it's pretty disappointing to this mess of a KS.

Hopefully someone will be able to salvage this localisation.  

It's not salvageable now. The most likely outcome is Inre never tries to localized ChuSinGura again and we'll never get it over here again. Unless some miracle deal happens, I'm afraid that ChuSinGura isn't likely to be brought over to the West.

Just now, VirginSmasher said:

It's not salvageable now. The most likely outcome is Inre never tries to localized ChuSinGura again and we'll never get it over here again. Unless some miracle deal happens, I'm afraid that ChuSinGura isn't likely to be brought over to the West.

I was thinking along the lines that some other localization company may get in contact with Inre and replace the current idiots. But yeah it is wishful thinking.    

Hey, guys, guys, shipping only costs $30 now!  I bet JAPAN CONTENT, INC. was hard at work all night, trying to find us the best deal on shipping!  I'm 100% sure they didn't just realize that almost nobody would buy physical goods unless they changed it from the arbitrarily high number they set it to!

If you ask my opinion, compared to Libra and Root Double looks like the staff behind Kickstarter didn't knew the appeal of this game I think (Libra was kickstarter by the Japanese company themselves so it's understandable they show off their PR skill. Root Double at least had Uchikoshi support eventhough Sekai PR is bad, and actually the RD translation staff (Lemnisca) was fan of RD, especially GundamAce), just thinking moefication samurai.

While it looks moe, actually the story was more than moefication samurai, at least from what I'd read in some review. As for kickstarter, I kind of wanting this to be successful, but with the situation right now (Actually at this time it fares better than expected actually (A VNDB user predicted it will only reach 1000 around weekend, while at this time it almost 2000 funded). Still too few obviously), I think unless the company changing the strategy or updated Kickstarter page, it'll be failed obviously.

Oh, for a little info this VN was started as doujin before becoming official release. The EGS score was quite high, and for the voice actually they manage to got some big name in eroge seiyuu (Kawashima Rino especially, although there's also Isshiki Hikaru and Tomoe Tamiyasu though). I think I could only comment a little for now.

Lastly, I think it' interesting that they said it will be shipped at this July, although it's only their estimation though. And lastly they need to confirm if they release it for Vita or PC (I prefer they release it for PC, and if possible with 18+ patch if the release was for Steam).

I think that's enough for now.

19 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Hey, guys, guys, shipping only costs $30 now!  I bet JAPAN CONTENT, INC. was hard at work all night, trying to find us the best deal on shipping!  I'm 100% sure they didn't just realize that almost nobody would buy physical goods unless they changed it from the arbitrarily high number they set it to!

Japan content? Don't you mean........*dramatic pause*............. B2G STUDIO, INC.

giphy.gif

btw are you guys really comparing this atrocity of campaign to libra and root double? Really? this campaign has some really shady stuff is not just bad, why the same company will use 2 different names and supposedly also has 2 physical addresses one in  HONOLULU and the other one in Los Angeles(they dont give the address of this one...)? why are they using 2 names in the first place... with one they failed 2 campaigns already. 

I will say it again this doesn't look just bad it looks like some kind of scam. They are not answering any questions so far either. Again comparing it to root or libra is a bit( A LOT) too much.

13 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

btw are you guys really comparing this atrocity of campaign to libra and root double? Really? this campaign has some really shady stuff is not just bad, why the same company will use 2 different names and supposedly also has 2 physical addresses one in  HONOLULU and the other one in Los Angeles(they dont give the address of this one...)? why are they using 2 names in the first place... with one they failed 2 campaigns already. 

I will say it again this doesn't look just bad it looks like some kind of scam. They are not answering any questions so far either. Again comparing it to root or libra is a bit( A LOT) too much.

I don't think you're understanding the comparisons. No one is saying those are on the same level as this.

I didn't pay attention too closely to Beastmaster and Prince, but apparently that campaign was pretty much just as bad, if not worse than this one, if you can believe it. These guys just have no idea what they're doing at all.

14 minutes ago, Decay said:

I don't think you're understanding the comparisons. No one is saying those are on the same level as this.

I didn't pay attention too closely to Beastmaster and Prince, but apparently that campaign was pretty much just as bad, if not worse than this one, if you can believe it. These guys just have no idea what they're doing at all.

If you compare A to B is because they have some kind of resemble(good or bad) or else you wont bring them to the discussion in the first place, "A was bad but B is way way worst" they are actually doing this and I think it's not fair to them but hey is just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

Japan content? Don't you mean........*dramatic pause*............. B2G STUDIO, INC.

Sounds like someone wanted an excuse to expense a flight to hawaii. Tax write off? I mean someone had to go setup the PO box or rent the office space for a month. Oh, wait. You mean Japan Content(s) doesn't have a physical address? Hmm.. strange nothing out of whois either.

It's definitely disingenuous but unless KS policy itself somehow prohibits the use of alternate DBA's or front companies I don't think they're breaking any laws at this point. Honestly not sure how they would be able to without performing investigations of reported companies. Require a personal guarantee from an owner/stakeholder in the business? Though that would be simply a deterrent for legitimate businesses.

1 hour ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

Sounds like someone wanted an excuse to expense a flight to hawaii. Tax write off? I mean someone had to go setup the PO box or rent the office space for a month. Oh, wait. You mean Japan Content(s) doesn't have a physical address? Hmm.. strange nothing out of whois either.

It's definitely disingenuous but unless KS policy itself somehow prohibits the use of alternate DBA's or front companies I don't think they're breaking any laws at this point. Honestly not sure how they would be able to without performing investigations of reported companies. Require a personal guarantee from an owner/stakeholder in the business? Though that would be simply a deterrent for legitimate businesses.

It's probably not illegal or against Kickstarter's rules, but it's sketchy as fuck, and considering the average Kickstarter project, most people (smart people anyway) would like to deal with the smallest amount of sketchiness possible when backing a Kickstarter project.  It's not that hard to tell who it is if you do some searching, but still, not a smart move to do when you're essentially trying to elicit donations from people.  It makes them suspicious.

15 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

It's probably not illegal or against Kickstarter's rules, but it's sketchy as fuck, and considering the average Kickstarter project, most people (smart people anyway) would like to deal with the smallest amount of sketchiness possible when backing a Kickstarter project.  It's not that hard to tell who it is if you do some searching, but still, not a smart move to do when you're essentially trying to elicit donations from people.  It makes them suspicious.

True enough. I certainly wouldn't touch this KS with a ten foot pole. Then again I've never backed a KS so I guess that's not saying much. That's not to say I haven't been tempted by a few with some considerable talent/backing. But those are the only kinds of KS I would even consider.

*edit* Da hell? They're well on their way to 4k raised? I figured they'd be lucky to break 1k this weekend. I guess fools and their money...

Edited by EdwardWongHPTIV

1 hour ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

*edit* Da hell? They're well on their way to 4k raised? I figured they'd be lucky to break 1k this weekend. I guess fools and their money...

Nah, don't worry, those fools won't be parted from their money - this KS doesn't have a snowball's chance to make it (this from the optimist who claimed Root Double was going to be fine), so they won't get charged. The Kickstarter just doesn't have the name recognition it needs, between the VN and the localization company, for the amount of money it's asking for, and the initial screw-ups are going to scare away everybody who might have been interested enough to try to pull it along based on the VN's reputation alone. Like others have said, hopefully it fails hard and a competent localization company is employed instead.

I've heard enough positive sentiment towards it that I'd definitely kick ChuSinGura if I thought the resulting localization was going to be acceptable. But in this case, I kind of don't.

25 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Nah, don't worry, those fools won't be parted from their money - this KS doesn't have a snowball's chance to make it (this from the optimist who claimed Root Double was going to be fine), so they won't get charged. The Kickstarter just doesn't have the name recognition it needs, between the VN and the localization company, for the amount of money it's asking for, and the initial screw-ups are going to scare away everybody who might have been interested enough to try to pull it along based on the VN's reputation alone. Like others have said, hopefully it fails hard and a competent localization company is employed instead.

I've heard enough positive sentiment towards it that I'd definitely kick ChuSinGura if I thought the resulting localization was going to be acceptable. But in this case, I kind of don't.

Oh, I know. I'm just taking shit. They'd need around 4200 backers at the average of $50 to close the deal. That's a long haul from the 77 they have at the moment. Not to mention using an average skews things considerably. Most of the backers have only spent $15 and for unknown reasons that's capped at 300 backers. Once that tier is gone I doubt they'll get many more backers.

Well this KS is doomed to fail. Honestly I don't mind though. Sounds like there will be no 18+ version which already caused me to lose the little interest I had. Also this VN takes place during the Edo period. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'm not interested in animes, VNs, manga, or LNs that take place during this period.

1 minute ago, Codesterz said:

Well this KS is doomed to fail. Honestly I don't mind though. Sounds like there will be no 18+ version which already caused me to lose the little interest I had. Also this VN takes place during the Edo period. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'm not interested in animes, VNs, manga, or LNs that take place during this period.

Also, there are quite a few h scenes in the VN and cutting all those scenes out is stupid.

8 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Also, there are quite a few h scenes in the VN and cutting all those scenes out is stupid.

There is a PSV version of ChuSinGura, I hope inre won't turn away from english release just bcs KS was total failure.

Do we actually have confirmation this is a legitimate kickstarter? I would love for this game to properly release (18+ content, good translation, not fucking mobile, etc...) but there is no way in hell I'm touching this kickstarter. I have more interest in backing Karakara than this.  The kickstarter is sketchy as hell and if they won't put in the money and effort to do proper kickstarter how could we ever expect them to do a good job on the visual novel? This needs a shit ton of work and I doubt anyone will back it with a kickstarter this bad. Hopefully they actually see what the fans want and come back in a year with proper support or just let the inevitable fan translation take off (so they can pay a translator for their work and release it with a decent translation). 

7 minutes ago, kyrt said:

Do we actually have confirmation this is a legitimate kickstarter? I would love for this game to properly release (18+ content, good translation, not fucking mobile, etc...) but there is no way in hell I'm touching this kickstarter. I have more interest in backing Karakara than this.  The kickstarter is sketchy as hell and if they won't put in the money and effort to do proper kickstarter how could we ever expect them to do a good job on the visual novel? This needs a shit ton of work and I doubt anyone will back it with a kickstarter this bad. Hopefully they actually see what the fans want and come back in a year with proper support or just let the inevitable fan translation take off (so they can pay a translator for their work and release it with a decent translation). 

I don't see a fan translation happening unless there is somebody who'd be willing to translate a 50+ hour VN which I'd highly doubt somebody would do without getting paid.

I've been a bit confused because people keep linking Gloczus.Inc with Amnesia:Memories and Hakuouki. Amnesia and Hakuouki actually received really nice localisations (you should buy these games if you're into otome, btw) so it was a bit surprising seeing Gloczus put out such a horrid kickstarter.

So I dug around on Google for a bit, and from what I can tell Gloczus only published these games on the iOS (handled the mobile port.) They didn't localise anything, even though they worked on both those projects. Idea Factory International handled the localisation of Amnesia Memories (best otome game I played last year,) and Aksys handled the localisation of Hakuoki.

Which makes a bit more sense. It seems as though they are a Japanese publisher who have worked on localisation projects in the past who are trying to raise money to take on a project completely by themselves. That's just my take.

14 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

Mikandi should approach these guys are help them make a proper KS.

I disagree.  I don't really want them to have a successful Kickstarter for something I'm interested in reading.  I have absolutely no faith at all that they'll do a good job, seeing what they've done with the two Kickstarters they've done so far.  If you can't even be arsed to make a legible and natural-sounding Kickstarter page the first time you publish it, I really don't see why they'd do a much better job on the actual translation.  Technically, they could just have not wanted to spend money on that and focused more on the TL, but that just looks bad.  Like Rooke said, it doesn't look like they've actually successfully translated much of anything so far, and again, if I'm interested in reading something, I'd damn sure not want some random people with no history of success in localization or translation touching it.  I'd prefer they just stop trying entirely and let the people that actually know what they're doing do it for them.  The possibility of another Moenovel-esque translation scares me too much to really want Gloczus to stop being shitty.

5 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

If you can't even be arsed to make a legible and natural-sounding Kickstarter page the first time you publish it, I really don't see why they'd do a much better job on the actual translation.

When I thought of Mikandi I made the recommendation on the assumption they would also translate it.