Your Worst VN Experience

solidbatman

Shirou was quite blatantly sexist. How else do you interpret "I have to protect Saber because she's a girl". That said, it's clearly illustrated that his beliefs are arbitrary and stupid. The game itself isn't particularly sexist.

Well you get to learn a bit later, and it becomes more apparent in the Heaven's Feel route that Shirou has a strange obsession for living for the sake of others. It comes to the point where people conclude that he is a "empty human being" .

• 5 months later...

Worst Translated Experience: Super Secret Sexy Spy - more specifically the Kusakabe sisters' routes. My review better details it:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2013/06/games-for-adults-super-secret-sexy-spy.html

Worst Untranslated Experience: Tie between Cthulhu: Great Hunting for putting me through the most self eye gouge inducing ero scene I've ever seen (not to mention crappy writing all around) and Kansen Ball Buster not only for a rushed and crappy story, but also for a segment that shamelessly betrays the fourth game of the series

Harukoi Otome was probably the most boring, dragged out game I've ever played... I think I made it halfway through the first route (the imouto) before I dropped it. (I say halfway, because I didn't even reach the first ero-scene.) The thought of sitting through four and a half more routes of absolutely nothing was pretty much awful, and I'm glad I didn't bother.

I just realised that my 1st one wasnt Hoshizora no Memoria. it was Sengoku Rance i totally forgot about that one. Played it like 2 years ago i think. I never categorized it as a VN since its mostly deep strategic gameplay. But i guess it is a VN and i liked it was just perfect in any aspect for me

and i have also played every rance game except quest which is not fully translated yet

EDIT: i just realised i posted this under WORST and not FIRST, my mistake

Edited by Tom

I... I don't really know. I have never read I VN that I've really hated, but "worst" it is, so I have to go with this one.

It was probably the first VN I've ever read, despite never even knowing what a VN was at that particular time (so I don't count is as my first VN).

For some weird reason, I still have it on my computer after this entire time, so recently, I sat down to actually try to go through it...

Since I'm not a fan of nukiges (I think that It might be only nukige I have ever played, in fact), it was just tedious to go through. There was only one route that I could get some enjoyment of, and that was the one with the fewest H-scenes, but it was also the one that at least felt romantic in nature... (again, I don't read nukige, and I'm quite sure that there are much, MUCH worse ones out there)

My worst experience was when I tried reading something called "Let's Meow Meow", if I remember correctly. I have no idea what prompted me to do that, especially since I didn't even know much about VNs yet... well, let's just say it didn't leave good first impressions. :D

I... I don't really know. I have never read I VN that I've really hated, but "worst" it is, so I have to go with this one.

It was probably the first VN I've ever read, despite never even knowing what a VN was at that particular time (so I don't count is as my first VN).

For some weird reason, I still have it on my computer after this entire time, so recently, I sat down to actually try to go through it...

Since I'm not a fan of nukiges (I think that It might be only nukige I have ever played, in fact), it was just tedious to go through. There was only one route that I could get some enjoyment of, and that was the one with the fewest H-scenes, but it was also the one that at least felt romantic in nature... (again, I don't read nukige, and I'm quite sure that there are much, MUCH worse ones out there)

Yeah I played this game it was pretty bad I don't think I even got to the end before it got deleted. It was just too over the top

Cross Channel heard it was good but found it so bad couldn't play it for more then a couple of hours.

i might not have given it enough of a chance either but that part where it said mexican and where he did that stupid intelligence agencies bit to scare her just seemed like they were not translated correctly.  that was where i ended my journey through that story.

Cross Channel heard it was good but found it so bad couldn't play it for more then a couple of hours.

i might not have given it enough of a chance either but that part where it said mexican and where he did that stupid intelligence agencies bit to scare her just seemed like they were not translated correctly.  that was where i ended my journey through that story.

That's funny, I'm currently trying to read this as well. The translation is pretty bad at times, and the whole thing is just pretty unappealing from the start, though it's slowly catching my interest with the MCs problems and all.

Didn't have any "terrible" VN experiences but some of the routes toy get in games just make you throw the computer at the wall when your done (or just getting into them). I play for the storyline, not the senseless filler that leaves you wondering "why did this person have to be like this?"

There are tons of kusoge out there, but the worst experience I ever had with a VN wasn't a kusoge.  I have a lot of pet peeves, mostly born of having read so many books, played so many games, and watched so much anime that my tastes have if anything become more solidly defined than most otaku. 

My worst experience was Aiyoku no Eustia.  Looking at that game from an objective perspective, I realize that the writing was above-average and the main story was cohesive and well-designed... However, it hit all the wrong buttons for me.  First, it used G-senjou's story structure, which turns every heroine besides the main into a sub-heroine and gives you half-assed spin-off paths for them.  Making it worse was that the very existence of those paths made no sense within the greater context of the setting and story once you'd played the true path.  Third, Eustia has to be the least interesting, most annoying main heroine I've ever run across in a story-focused VN.  I honestly couldn't find any redeeming value in her as a heroine, which made the fact that she was the true heroine a thousand times worse for me.  Finally, the finishing blow was the way the protagonist suddenly went hetare (becoming indecisive, self-pitying, and whiney) for a long section of the last part of the true path.  Considering that he was the opposite of that throughout the rest of the story, it destroyed what connection to the story I had left completely, leaving me feeling disgusted with the story as a whole.

The biggest problem was the inconsistencies that plagued that game's story, which would have been forgivable if it were a moege, nakige, a charage, or even the lighter story-focused.  However, Eustia presented itself as a serious, solid story-focused from the beginning, so when all those blatant inconsistencies began to pop up, I gradually found my distaste for the game rising, until it exploded after I completed the game.  I erased it from my hard drive and broke the disc in a fit of anger...  I haven't been that pissed at a game in over six years. 

The point is, I can overlook minor inconsistencies as a mild irritation, but in a serious story, major inconsistencies are unforgivable, at least for me. 

Because it was only near the end that everything went to shit.  I kept hoping that the game would redeem itself, but it failed utterly to do so.  It is one thing to stop when the game starts out awful, but when it is near the end, you might as well finish it.  I hoped the ending would redeem the overall story for me... but even that failed miserably.

Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes Cross Channel...

The vn's I didn't like are Da Capo & kirakira.

I am really picky on what I read and I always do a little research before I play them. So usually this doesn't happen

Yeah I played this game it was pretty bad I don't think I even got to the end before it got deleted. It was just too over the top

You guys should see Virgin Roster or Tsuki Possession (both made by the same company and have the same art style of Sagara Family).

Magical Teacher: My Teacher is a Mage, I don't even know where to begin :angry:. After playing a story driven VN, I usually play something that is light, so nukiges usually fall here i.e. My Girlfriend is the President. Unfortunately one day I stumbled upon this worthless piece of sh*t.

Although the rape in the game was avoidable which was a good thing but the game gave off the feel that the main character would become a powerful mage towards the end (it didn't have to be grand since it is a nukige but at least there should have some character development on the MC's side) but in the end he was a just a docile dumbass who was useless in every aspect (especially in the rape scenes since they all happen whilst his there).

Another annoying aspect of the game was the loli main heroine (MH) and her friend (who secretly was in love with her), the friend was an annoying b**ch who kept on insulting and hitting the MC (and he did nothing about it) because she did not like the fact that he was getting close to the MH (I didn't like it either but that doesn't justify he being a pushy, foul mouthed and annoying wench) and she also turns out to be the enemy (she was possessed by a spirit and causes problems from behind the lines).

The worst part of the game is that all the h-scenes in the game with the loli heroine were compulsory ( :( this wasn't good for my health), for the other heroines [the milfs and they were the only one that could get raped (talk about defiling the redeeming aspect of the VN)], you had to choose which heroine to hang with (eventually led to an h-scene) where as her scenes were a compulsory part of the story. I have nothing against loli's but when she acts and talks like an underage brat, the sex makes a man feel like a pedophile dammit! [Kuroneko!!!! (Oreimo character) your the only loli for me :wub: !!!, a mature, petite, loving and beautiful loli and apparently my favourite character in the game and anime [though Saori still stands strong at 2nd and Ayase at 3rd (her hitting the MC for every little reason annoys me deeply but she's cute)] currently downloading the game so our love can shine unlike in the anime (stupid MC destroys everything in the anime).

And in the finale instead of gutting the wench (loli's friend) they give you some sappy unsexy threesome with the MH and the friend! Why not the hot milfs DAMMIT! but a big headed unnattractive loli and a hateful loud mouthed wench! The title is Magical Teacher: My Teacher is a Mage not Magical Teacher: The Loli is a Mage, all the milfs were mages including the MH's mother, she or any of the other milfs was supposed to be the MH!

The art was also not all that good either (heavily disfigured characters), dammit I went against my VN reading ethics and ended up skipping to the end of the novel when my sanity points finally hit zero :wacko: . All in all this is a waste of time for anybody EVEN people that love lolis, no I'm being serious here. Thank you for reading through my ranting (really needed to let that out), I appreciate it :) .  

Another one would be Kazoku Keikaku. It was so... Slow and exhaustiating. I just played the loli route and dropped it with a passion before even finishing it.

I applaud you for even making it that far; between an unlikable protagonist (I've seriously encountered protagonists in rape eroge more likable), the over reliance on Norio Wakamoto's character for the humor, and the blandest slice of life scenes I stopped before I think the common route was even close to halfway done.

I applaud you for even making it that far; between an unlikable protagonist (I've seriously encountered protagonists in rape eroge more likable), the over reliance on Norio Wakamoto's character for the humor, and the blandest slice of life scenes I stopped before I think the common route was even close to halfway done.

I thought that it would become more enjoyable after actually entering a route (and it took me a lot of effort to play it, because of the

prostitute and the drugs

), but it was the damn same thing and I couldn't keep it going D;