Your Worst VN Experience

solidbatman

I applaud you for even making it that far; between an unlikable protagonist (I've seriously encountered protagonists in rape eroge more likable), the over reliance on Norio Wakamoto's character for the humor, and the blandest slice of life scenes I stopped before I think the common route was even close to halfway done.

You should applaud me for finishing it, the tsundere is the one that kept me going, the other heroines were annoying in one way or the other, especially the  green haired milf who was getting banged by her ex even though she knew he just wanted her for her money, then there is what  SieghartXx has already pointed out. My gaming policy (or should it be reading policy) dictated that I finish it, though I still enjoyed it at some point.

Time Hollow.

The story started very good,but then it went downhill.The ending left so many plotholes.

The gameplay:

-You are supposed to draw circles,but you can draw triangles,squares,etc.

-You are more inteligent than Ethan.You can know what to do when opening holes without searching for information,but for some reason,Ethan has no idea of what to do.

-When talking to people,you have to pick the same question twice.

-The day I started it was the day I finished it(this is not a joke)

It had a lot of potential.I liked it at first,but at the end I just hated it.

Protagonists that are always complaining (Cough Cough Chaos;Head)

In the end, I couldn't complain too much because when he had an epiphany, he became absolutely badass but the the build up to that was.... too much... just too much :(

Haha, I actually liked him, I could relate quite well - but not to such extremes, of course. Though considering C;H was one of my first VNs, the 'fresh' feeling probably made it all seem a bit better than it actually was.

Phantom of Inferno.

I was hyped for this, being that I played Saya no Uta and Kikokugai before. Sadly, Urubutcher took a bunch of elements of different crime/espionage franchises (plus Rei Ayanami... gotta have her in there somewhere) and instead of trying to mix it to to do something interesting, well, he didn't do shit. Uroubuchi had so poor an understanding of the underpinnings of the things he was aping/playing with that It completely fails both as a crime drama, and as an espionage thriller.

Oh also had the most dreadfully boring narrator of all time. Unskipable, to boot.

Pirates in Love. I don't know what I was expecting from such a terrible, cliché title but I decided to give it a go anyway. The writing was horrible, there were so many exclamation marks all over the place that it was like they'd got the author of Antigua to write a VN. I could barely get myself to the end of the common route, and when I found out they were actually charging per route I laughed and dropped the thing. I had a similar experience with Ninja Love, but I actually managed to get midway through a route before dropping it. 

It disheartens me that most otome writers think that as long as they have hot bishonens they can throw any sense of plot to the wind. 

I also dropped Hourglass of Summer pretty early on and just watched the OVAs, because it lagged like heck in both my computer and DVD player. The password system also got on my nerves. 

One of my worst experiences would be with an R18+ otome game called "Toiro Komachi ~Kurenai ni Somaru no Toki Made" (http://vndb.org/v3426). It's not like the worst game ever made, but it's one of the worst otome games I've ever played. It wasn't even "so bad, it's hilarious" or "so bad, it's good." It was just BAD. Extremely long common route and way-too-brief interactions with the love interest of your choice during the specific routes. It feels rushed, with a few unresolved plot points and characters changing tune at a moment's notice.

Out of curiosity, I played an eroge which is currently the lowest rated VN on VNDb.org, called "Shiyouchuu ~W.C.~ (a.k.a. Water Closet: The Forbidden Chamber)" (http://vndb.org/v1484). Unlike the above game I mentioned, though, this one had its funny moments and wasn't long enough to really get sick of it. Strange interface, boring music, subpar voice acting, dodgy art, sporadic pacing and practically no story... In my opinion, "so bad, it's hilarious." It deals with scat fetishes, so if you're iffy with that stuff, I don't recommend checking it out.

Other noteworthy bad experiences include:

~ Love & Order (the worst otome game I've ever played, period): http://vndb.org/v6267

~ Yandere (in fairness, some parts were quite amusing but it's a bad game overall): http://vndb.org/v1303

~ Maiden Rape Assault: Violent Semen Inferno (too bad its title, "violent semen inferno", is pretty much the only entertaining aspect): http://vndb.org/v1292

My worst Visuals Novels experience are:

Yandere: Do I really have to say why? This game is so HORRIBLE. They are not yanderes, they're are:
- Cannibal (the teacher's route)
- Masochist (Maika's route)
- And at least the most "Yandere": Saki's route...
I don't understand, it's so twisted, scary, the fucking scene of the door with the teacher just make me shudder... Mains heroïnes are just not lovable, they're sadist, cruel... This is the most disturbing Visual Novel I ever seen and H-scenes are disgusting or well... Bad.

Gimai-Hitomi: I hate everything of this game except the good end of Hitomi, but even so things happen in her route are terrible and the hero is such an asshole, the mother is awful and the classmate, Yuki is a slut... At the begining I thought it was just an ordinary nukige but it goes darker and it's really unhealthy... It's maybe not as disturbing as Yandere but more than Saya No Uta (one of my favorite Visual Novel by the way).

• 4 months later...

That would be Yandere, I felt it was a complete waste of time :/

plus the whole game was ugh so boring and made me feel I want to stop playing it

The H scenes were so many and so boring 

(I am not a fan of H scenes to start with)

and the gore was so ....... .... I can't describe it with a word

Maybe Yandere just wasn't a VN for me to play

But I didn't feel any excitement in it

It's hard to say. I could easily say that most nukiges I played had shallow stories that bored me to no end, and their h-scenes are cliche and predictable, but other than that, I never got emotionally attached enough to many VNs for me to easily pinpoint down a terrible experience... That said.

The worst experience, albeit not necessarily a bad one, was probably Fate/Stay Night. Like I explained in my intro thread, I don't really like VNs that leave an ambiguity as to the fate (no pun intended) of the heroines that are not the main focus of the route you're reading. Kanon had a much more terrible ambiguity than F/SN, as far as I'm concerned, but Fate did an especially terrible job on my feelings because I got rather attached to Saber and she... well...

Not only was her notable Bad End in Heaven's Feel a sort of 'punishment' to Saber fans for wanting to save her, not only did Nasu toy with my emotions in the beginning of Heaven's Feel by putting pointless emotional moments between Shirou and Saber that resulted to nothing meaningful later, and not only was she reduced to a joke character in later routes whose development was much lesser than Rin's or possibly even Sakura's for that matter (if you consider Sakura's subtle actions and words in the other routes as 'development'),

it's a general consensus that not a lot of people like Saber for justified reasons, mostly because of how weak the Fate route was written. I mean, oh sure, you could find thousands of Saber fans everywhere, but a lot of them are shippers who only liked her for her moe moments or just for the sake of liking her. It feels silly, really.

I'm always one to get overly attached in an emotional way to fictional characters, so even this kind of 'meta' treatment bothers me a whole lot (the same way Miki Sayaka's criticisms once bothered me, till Madoka: Rebellion happened). It's such a frustrating thing to have a character you want to like, but can't find many justified reasons to like her because of the writer's negligence.

That's probably why F/SN bothered me more than any other VNs so far, but I'm still a novice VN reader, so the journey ahead might bear further burdens.

Mine would be Aiyoku no Eustia. Not that it was a bad story or anything but the fact the translation isn't finished and probably never will be. So I was left at the end of the translation wanting to know what will happen next, but sadly i will never know as I can't read Japanese and I don't have the motivation to learn it either. I did try to read it through machine translation, but the translation was so horrible I stopped after 10 minutes. 

It's hard to say. I could easily say that most nukiges I played had shallow stories that bored me to no end, and their h-scenes are cliche and predictable, but other than that, I never got emotionally attached enough to many VNs for me to easily pinpoint down a terrible experience... That said.

The worst experience, albeit not necessarily a bad one, was probably Fate/Stay Night. Like I explained in my intro thread, I don't really like VNs that leave an ambiguity as to the fate (no pun intended) of the heroines that are not the main focus of the route you're reading. Kanon had a much more terrible ambiguity than F/SN, as far as I'm concerned, but Fate did an especially terrible job on my feelings because I got rather attached to Saber and she... well...

Not only was her notable Bad End in Heaven's Feel a sort of 'punishment' to Saber fans for wanting to save her, not only did Nasu toy with my emotions in the beginning of Heaven's Feel by putting pointless emotional moments between Shirou and Saber that resulted to nothing meaningful later, and not only was she reduced to a joke character in later routes whose development was much lesser than Rin's or possibly even Sakura's for that matter (if you consider Sakura's subtle actions and words in the other routes as 'development'),

it's a general consensus that not a lot of people like Saber for justified reasons, mostly because of how weak the Fate route was written. I mean, oh sure, you could find thousands of Saber fans everywhere, but a lot of them are shippers who only liked her for her moe moments or just for the sake of liking her. It feels silly, really.

I'm always one to get overly attached in an emotional way to fictional characters, so even this kind of 'meta' treatment bothers me a whole lot (the same way Miki Sayaka's criticisms once bothered me, till Madoka: Rebellion happened). It's such a frustrating thing to have a character you want to like, but can't find many justified reasons to like her because of the writer's negligence.

That's probably why F/SN bothered me more than any other VNs so far, but I'm still a novice VN reader, so the journey ahead might bear further burdens.

I have a few things to tell you

Firstly , I have to agree that Fate route was poorly written

But you have to understand that this however handles the main character as mostly the most important one

Personally, I liked the VN due to the plot twists that were in all three routes!

So Saber's main character development was in Fate route which was bad cause the main concern was ...

Saber wants the holy grail and that's why she became a heroic spirit , she is an incomplete heroic spirit and she wants to change the past since she was betrayed so she probably was a bad king

Anyways the VN concentrates on the development of Shirou through his wish to become a superhero and what he chooses for himself

But if you take out the character development, you will find that the VN is actually good and I personally didn't like Saber since the start and always hoped for an ending where she is dead heuhuehue

What I want to get at is that you should leave out the relationship between the characters because yeah it was done poorly but the story is good, the action and excitement is there and the plot twists make the VN 10 times more amazing. I realized how poorly the relationship between characters is in fate route before playing the other two routes which made me stop concentrating on that and enjoy the "action and thrilling" side of the VN

I have a few things to tell you

Firstly , I have to agree that Fate route was poorly written

But you have to understand that this however handles the main character as mostly the most important one

Personally, I liked the VN due to the plot twists that were in all three routes!

So Saber's main character development was in Fate route which was bad cause the main concern was ...

Saber wants the holy grail and that's why she became a heroic spirit , she is an incomplete heroic spirit and she wants to change the past since she was betrayed so she probably was a bad king

Anyways the VN concentrates on the development of Shirou through his wish to become a superhero and what he chooses for himself

But if you take out the character development, you will find that the VN is actually good and I personally didn't like Saber since the start and always hoped for an ending where she is dead heuhuehue

What I want to get at is that you should leave out the relationship between the characters because yeah it was done poorly but the story is good, the action and excitement is there and the plot twists make the VN 10 times more amazing. I realized how poorly the relationship between characters is in fate route before playing the other two routes which made me stop concentrating on that and enjoy the "action and thrilling" side of the VN

I honestly didn't find Shirou and Saber's relationship in Fate route as bothersome as many others seemed to be. I mean, sure, Shirou was all chauvinistic in that route, but that's natural, given his traditional Japanese mentality.

And on the note of the action and excitement, yeah, they were okay, but action and excitement were always my cherry on top, not the entire cream and butter below. I could do without the action and excitement if you just give me a whole chunk of quality character development, thank you.

Also, on a sidenote, your kind of negative view towards Saber is kinda the reason why I stopped bothering with F/SN altogether... :P I don't hate her, but I hate that people who bashed her aren't exactly inaccurate with their criticisms about her being 'blend', even though the truth is, the scenarios Nasu put Saber in made her blend. It's Nasu's writing that made her blend.

She's a great stoic character whose potential as a character was painfully unexploited in F/SN. I'd love to just see her clash her philosophical beliefs against Archer on the ethics of saving people in UBW, which didn't really happen at all. Sure, they 'discussed' on the matter to some extent, exchanging words on whether if saving everyone is correct or not, but I really wish to see Saber's actions reflect her words in UBW, having her proving to Archer somehow that 'saving everyone' isn't necessary naive or foolish, which would have been a nice extension to her development in the Fate route. It would have been a much more satisfying wrap-up for Saber, in fact, for she too had sacrifice a lot of people in her time as King Arturia, so it makes for a nice parallel reflection to Archer, who tried not to sacrifice people but having ended up forced to do so anyway.

Hell, if you don't want to put in effort to develop Saber, Nasu, give her to me. I seem to be able to write her much better than you do anyway. God, I hope she's much better in the Fate/Zero anime.

I honestly didn't find Shirou and Saber's relationship in Fate route as bothersome as many others seemed to be. I mean, sure, Shirou was all chauvinistic in that route, but that's natural, given his traditional Japanese mentality.

And on the note of the action and excitement, yeah, they were okay, but action and excitement were always my cherry on top, not the entire cream and butter below. I could do without the action and excitement if you just give me a whole chunk of quality character development, thank you.

Also, on a sidenote, your kind of negative view towards Saber is kinda the reason why I stopped bothering with F/SN altogether... :P I don't hate her, but I hate that people who bashed her aren't exactly inaccurate with their criticisms about her being 'blend', even though the truth is, the scenarios Nasu put Saber in made her blend. It's Nasu's writing that made her blend.

She's a great stoic character whose potential as a character was painfully unexploited in F/SN. I'd love to just see her clash her philosophical beliefs against Archer on the ethics of saving people in UBW, which didn't really happen at all. Sure, they 'discussed' on the matter to some extent, exchanging words on whether if saving everyone is correct or not, but I really wish to see Saber's actions reflect her words in UBW, having her proving to Archer somehow that 'saving everyone' isn't necessary naive or foolish, which would have been a nice extension to her development in the Fate route. It would have been a much more satisfying wrap-up for Saber, in fact, for she too had sacrifice a lot of people in her time as King Arturia, so it makes for a nice parallel reflection to Archer, who tried not to sacrifice people but having ended up forced to do so anyway.

Hell, if you don't want to put in effort to develop Saber, Nasu, give her to me. I seem to be able to write her much better than you do anyway. God, I hope she's much better in the Fate/Zero anime.

Meh , I went for this VN because I wanted some fierce excitement, action and plot twists and I found them

I was sick of the romcom visual novels that have been out most of the time so it was a nice change of pace ... plus people who love Saber just love her blond hair and gorgeous noble phantasm, I for one found her and Shirou so disturbing and confusing that I was so happy when I was done with fate route.

And as I told you, from their point of view, she took the attention in fate route so the attention was directed at Shirou, Rin and Archer.... unlike fate route and in Heaven's feels, they concentrate on Shirou, Ilya and Sakura.

So yeah if Saber didn't get any good development in fate route, she wouldn't find them elsewhere! 

And as I told you, from their point of view, she took the attention in fate route so the attention was directed at Shirou, Rin and Archer.... unlike fate route and in Heaven's feels, they concentrate on Shirou, Ilya and Sakura.

So yeah if Saber didn't get any good development in fate route, she wouldn't find them elsewhere! 

I understand why she didn't get any good development in the other routes - that part of understanding was hardly ambiguous in the first place - but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Also, technically, she wasn't 'concentrated on' in Heaven's Feel, only in Fate route. And even in Fate route, half of that so-called 'concentration' is placed on info-dumping, the explanation of the F/SN universe, Shirou's past and Shirou's character development, so it wasn't exactly the 'Saber-centric' route many Saber-haters would like you to think either.

plus people who love Saber just love her blond hair and gorgeous noble phantasm,

Yeah, I'm sure her resilient attitude, her undying willpower, and her refusal to be treated like a common woman have nothing to do with why I like her. :rolleyes: Honestly, I may not like Saberfags who come up with half-assed excuses to overrate her character, but the half-assed reasons Saber-haters come up with are just as ridiculous sometimes...

Edit:

Crap. Went for a double-post instead of an edit in the heat of the moment.

A lot of perople have mentioned Yandere, and I think that was more of a disappointment than my earlier post about Harukoi Otome.

Yandere was a game that I had been really excited for, and had downloaded the day the patch came out. (Granted I couldn't play it for a month after that because of computer troubles, but that just made me more anxious to play it). I love yandere heroines, so I thought, "great, a game all about my favorite character type."

But it ended up being a waste of time. In my opinion, what makes a yandere work is the contrast between their sweet initial selves, and the reveal of their rotten cores. Basically, it's best when it's played for drama. But other than the parts that were supposed to be scary (like the door scene with the teacher, who was without a doubt the worst character in the game) the game felt more like a comedy. Like "Oh, this guy is an asshole, so watch him get chased by a bunch of sex-obsessed crazy girls!" That was it. There was no build up. The first scene was the guy randomly deciding to take his osananajimi's virginity, then acting surprised when she decided they were lovers. She was the only real yandere to begin with (masochism and cannibalism aren't enough to make a girl a yandere), and the main guy treated her so badly that I almost rooted for her more than the "poor protagonist."

Granted, I'm pretty sure the game existed mainly for the sex scenes, but those weren't good either. The gore scenes were added on for shock value, and while I remember being a little unsettled by the last scene with Maika, the rest of it felt tacked on more than anything. And going back to the childhood friend, I didn't really feel bad for the protag at the end of her route. He earned what came to him there. As for the teacher, I blocked her route out because it was all kinds of terrible, so I don't remember how I felt about it.

I don't know, maybe I'm just jaded or something, because even for a game built on shock value, it was just terrible, and didn't shock (or excite) me at all. 

I understand why she didn't get any good development in the other routes - that part of understanding was hardly ambiguous in the first place - but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Also, technically, she wasn't 'concentrated on' in Heaven's Feel, only in Fate route. And even in Fate route, half of that so-called 'concentration' is placed on info-dumping, the explanation of the F/SN universe, Shirou's past and Shirou's character development, so it wasn't exactly the 'Saber-centric' route many Saber-haters would like you to think either.

Actually I think they concentrated on her in fate route as much the concentrated on Rin and Archer in ubw

And I agree she didn't have any attention in other routes. Hell , Ilya had more attention in ubw than Saber

But still Saber , in my view, had more than needed attention in fate route, about how she fought bravely for her country, and was betrayed later making her doubt her ways and think that any other king would have been better. AKA her back story , it had a lot of attention. Saber's own personality even had got attention so I think you are wrong saying that they didn't concentrate on her in fate route and she didn't get much character development! You are really mistaken there!

Yeah, I'm sure her resilient attitude, her undying willpower, and her refusal to be treated like a common woman have nothing to do with why I like her. :rolleyes: Honestly, I may not like Saberfags who come up with half-assed excuses to overrate her character, but the half-assed reasons Saber-haters come up with are just as ridiculous sometimes...

Edit:

Crap. Went for a double-post instead of an edit in the heat of the moment.

WHAT MADE ME HATE SABER WERE HER FANS..... geez. They come with half-assed excuses to love her ..... I for one liked her for one time but I felt so much frustration because of her back story but Sakura made me forget everything about that (Sakura's the worst heroine imo)