Your Worst VN Experience

solidbatman

Just about everything in Amaranto is lacking in quality. The BGM was like that of a low-budget 90's movie, the graphics were sub-par even for the time, the characters were one-dimensional, and I like hyphen-minus words. The later parts of the story were slightly more bearable, which is how I managed to finish it.

Sengoku Rance (Annoying rapist protagonist.), Kazoku Keikaku (While the protagonist was interesting it had annoying heroines and characters, especially the old man. Aoba was fine though), OsaDai (Not a fan of parodies so I didn't enjoy it.), Duel Saviour (Idiot protagonist and awful main heroine. I didn't continue once I knew who the main heroine was.), Daibanchou (The format was just weird.)

I never finished these.

Sengoku Rance (Annoying rapist protagonist.), Kazoku Keikaku (While the protagonist was interesting it had annoying heroines and characters, especially the old man. Aoba was fine though), OsaDai (Not a fan of parodies so I didn't enjoy it.), Duel Saviour (Idiot protagonist and awful main heroine. I didn't continue once I knew who the main heroine was.), Daibanchou (The format was just weird.)

I never finished these.

Wakamoto cannot be annoying, scientific fact. Well, whatever. After all I found Aoba annoying enough to avoid her route.

Are those good routes? Yes, they are

Was it worth it? If you have to wait and waste your time for a VN to get good, then the VN is not good

RW is a good read, but i swear, RW fans treat it like it's Jesus in VN form. I also got yelled at when i asked for savefiles.

In my opinion, the worst a VN can be is boring, because at the end, you salvage nothing from it

Anyways...

One of my worst VN experiences is Air actually, because i can't fucking stand the artstyle, i get turned off by it, i have a hard time looking at the screen with those deformed characters. If the visual part is going to be that horrible i might aswell just read a book with the same story and let my imagination do the rest.

And this applies too to VNs with lack of CGs, like GnK (A game that should have 300% more CGs) for example

I remember receiving several hate messages for critizing Rewrite. I also experienced the same with the save files. The sad thing about it is that the one mad at me was a mod of the forum that I used to visit.

I want to say that after borderline pointlessly wasting 30 minutes trying to endure Muv-Luv Extra, it replaced Remember11 as my least favorite VN. The reason R11 held the title before was because it was disappointing- not "bad" AT ALL. However, MLE is all around bad. Not one interesting character or setting(it somehow managed to make me not care about that mysterious girl that seemingly happened to come into existence in the MC's room), the MC mistook his best fiend's titties for gamepad triggers in the first 5 minutes, grumpy protagonist, unlikeable main female character... I am not a mecha person, so I'll probably read Never7 for the rest of the summer and go back to MLE sometime in autumn-which then I probably will read alongside a nice eroge to alleviate my boredom.

• 3 months later...

Nominations:

- Rewrite after Chihaya and before Lucia. 

- Sakura Spirit.

- The schizophrenic part of Ageha's translation in Kono Oozora.

- Being the protagonist of Canvas 2.

Hmm... That's a close one between Sakura Spirit and Canvas 2.

Sakura Spirit has better visuals, is less painful to get through (2~ hours) and fun to laugh at (due sheer incompetence). Canvas 2 had some good tracks, a few genuinely funny lines and some really good ideas (Ellis-trauma).

I'll go with Sakura Spirit, because if I had spent 10 bucks on that, I would've gotten really, really mad.

Since my last message I can say that Clannad takes the place of Muv-Luv Extra as my worst VN experience... (maybe I should use a proxy, I don't want to end up with a knife stucked in my throat), at least I haven't read After Story yet but that school-life part...oh my god. It was boring and extremely long, a lot of stereotyped events and characters ( that cast is full of drama queens, it's a parody, really) and most of all repetitive. (bento,sunohara being irritating, bento, sunohara being irritating*repeat ad nauseam, not to mention the plot revolving around reality show's problems)

Well I guess it's not my thing but it bugs me, I'm not the biggest fan of SoL but I liked Little Busters, I expected the same thing from Clannad.

And another one, Steins;Gate, no as a bad experience but more of a big disappointement, given its reputation I was expecting it to be better in a lot ways, especially the characters (again) and the second part of the VN.

Nice this Topic is back to the top. So I will give you my honest (and probably unique) opinion. I thought about 2 one as I read that here.

At first: Yume Miru Kusuri ... I like the Aeka route but I couldn't stand it after that. But I think it was just too early for me ;) . I think that one was my first "real" VN so I will give it another try someday.

Now to the second one ;) ... And that one is the winner: Grisaia no Kajitsu ! ... Yes, I'm serious. It's soooo hyped, I can't stand it. For me it's just a mediocre chuuni VN with good art. I was really disappointed (I read it till the end).

And here my Reasons:

- Makina is just annoying

- the VN is at many points just over the top (thats bad writing for me)

- and the main reason for sure is yuuji, his personality and his background. He is so halfheartedly and just cold. I know he had a bad childhood... Boohoo, come over it!!! His background is just ridiculous. Well I could rant about that hours, but I will stop here and wait for the insults of you :P ...

Nice this Topic is back to the top. So I will give you my honest (and probably unique) opinion. I thought about 2 one as I read that here.

At first: Yume Miru Kusuri ... I like the Aeka route but I couldn't stand it after that. But I think it was just too early for me ;) . I think that one was my first "real" VN so I will give it another try someday.

Now to the second one ;) ... And that one is the winner: Grisaia no Kajitsu ! ... Yes, I'm serious. It's soooo hyped, I can't stand it. For me it's just a mediocre chuuni VN with good art. I was really disappointed (I read it till the end).

And here my Reasons:

- Makina is just annoying

- the VN is at many points just over the top (thats bad writing for me)

- and the main reason for sure is yuuji, his personality and his background. He is so halfheartedly and just cold. I know he had a bad childhood... Boohoo, come over it!!! His background is just ridiculous. Well I could rant about that hours, but I will stop here and wait for the insults of you :P ...

Ezee.................................

Y-y-y-you... d-d-d. Dislike. Grisaia. no. Kajitsu....??!?@!#

Hehe. If you stopped at "it's sooo overhyped, I can't stand it" I would've attacked xD. I hate it when people dislike things because of it being "overrated" or "too popular". Judge based on your own opinion, not on popularity.

That being said, you at least listed your reasons for not liking it, so its all good! I won't bite :P

If you look at the people here, I would say that I'm the one who is wrong here ;) ... I was told that I have a strange taste at VN, that could be right. But I'm fine with that :P 

A lot of bad routes in different VNs, like Rimu/Yayoi in Deardrops; Shiro in Fortune Arterial (I still have to play Kanade... tsk); Tsubaki/Kanon in G-Senjou and Touka in Sharin no Kuni. I don't like the loli route... it never has anything to do with the main plot. As an exemple, Shiro's route in FA was about tea, cake and incest, not about vampires!

But for complete novels, I'm in "doubt" between Kono Oozora ni and Grisaia no Kajitsu.

KonoSora had a really good common route, talking about the plane and etc... really interesting.

But Kotori's route was... hur dur. Tedious, boring, and a lot of other things that I don't know how to describe.

I still plan to play Amane, since it appears to have more plot about the club and the plane.

But Ageha and the twins, it appears to be just childhood friend and loli fanservice.

As for Grisaia, I didn't finish it yet, only the common route, but I already hate it. It's as Ezeefreak said, but I'll say more things.

Enormous common route with ridiculous scenes of forced "comedy" where boring characters talk and have fun.

Makina is... AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

And Sachi is... UUUUUUUUURGGG!!! Amane is cool, Yumiko is ok. Michiru is almost nothing.

I think that Yuuji is a good character, but a bad protagonist.

I choose Grisaia too, even if I didn't finish yet, it's already my worst experience...

Obviously I don't know Grisaias's plot, but I doubt that it'll be good enough to make me like this thing.

I'll split this into two separate responses.

Worst Nukige I've read was easily Dual Phase.  I love weird stuff, and this is very much up my alley, but the game was absolutely terrible from the get-go.  It also had a yandere heroine, which I cannot stand, but the H-scenes were terribly drawn and the story progression is too forced, even for a nukige.

Worst non-nukige, though this one is reallllly close to crossing that line, is Love Love H-Maid.  I wrote a review a long time ago on Cartoon-World, and I'm pretty sure my review had more words than the entire game, and it was pretty short.  Waste of time and money.

The two worst VNs I've played are probably Ikikoi and harukoi otome. I try to avoid ones that look overtly awful, but I'm generally willing to give anything a try if it seems like it has a chance of amusing me. Boy, was I ever wrong about those two. Ikikoi was the most insipid harem nonsense I've ever encountered. I've seen some bad harem animes in my time but Ikikoi tops most all of them in terribleness. The humor misses way off the mark, the situations are so incredibly rote that I find it impossible to get any enjoyment out of it, the heroines are all as deep as a puddle of water with terrible personalities, and the list goes on. I'm baffled on why it received a fan translation (who would dedicate that much of their free time for it with no compensation??), but am not surprised at how it was basically dumped unfinished because really, who gives a shit?

Harukoi Otome isn't a harem comedy, thank goodness, but it's still terrible. The humor it does has made me chuckle a couple of times but is by and large really anti-funny. The sidekick character is obnoxious, the heroines are really boring, the art is bad, but these aren't the worst parts. The worst part is the melodrama. Like a lot of moege, they toss in some light drama here and there, and it's terrrrible. It gets even worse when it tries to be sentimental at the same time, because it becomes so corny. It's incredibly facepalm-inducing and cringe-worthy at the same time. I'm sad I wasted my time on this.

Honorable mention goes to Muv-Luv Extra. If it existed by itself, it would probably top both of those. MLE is one of the few VNs where I skipped entire scenes because they were just so unbearable. I don't think I laughed a single time throughout the entire experience. And of course the romance was laughable. If it wasn't required reading for the rest of the series, I don't think it would have lasted one hour on my hard drive.

I doubt these are the worst VNs ever made, but if there's anything worse than these, then hopefully I can exhibit the discretion necessary to avoid them outright.

Just curious, what's your opinion on Yumiko? Because I'd say she's far more "cold" than Yuuji. Unlike Yumiko, Yuuji openly has civil conversations with everybody. Not to mention playing around, cracking jokes ect. "Cold" isn't really what comes to mind for him, just pragmatic. Though I'm probably misunderstanding exactly what it is you dislike about him.

The two worst VNs I've played are probably Ikikoi and harukoi otome. I try to avoid ones that look overtly awful, but I'm generally willing to give anything a try if it seems like it has a chance of amusing me. Boy, was I ever wrong about those two. Ikikoi was the most insipid harem nonsense I've ever encountered. I've seen some bad harem animes in my time but Ikikoi tops most all of them in terribleness. The humor misses way off the mark, the situations are so incredibly rote that I find it impossible to get any enjoyment out of it, the heroines are all as deep as a puddle of water with terrible personalities, and the list goes on. I'm baffled on why it received a fan translation (who would dedicate that much of their free time for it with no compensation??), but am not surprised at how it was basically dumped unfinished because really, who gives a shit?

I hate Ikikoi's common route too, because it's just as you said. However when I got around to playing character routes, all but Tane greatly surprised me (which I actually thought would be the only playable route, yet it turned out to be the most boring). They're not harem at all, either. I had never liked tsundere before I played this game.

Just curious, what's your opinion on Yumiko? Because I'd say she's far more "cold" than Yuuji. Unlike Yumiko, Yuuji openly has civil conversations with everybody. Not to mention playing around, cracking jokes ect. "Cold" isn't really what comes to mind for him, just pragmatic. Though I'm probably misunderstanding exactly what it is you dislike about him.

With cold I mean that every decision he makes is always based on reson or logic. There is never some emotion involved. I can't stand that. Humans are defined by their emotions (good or bad ones) but Yuuji seems to be not human in that case. Maybe someone understands me ;)

Yumiko seems to be cold but shes highly affected by her emotions.

Probably Chaos;Head is the "worst" for me so far.

That's not to say it was utter garbage; I rated it a 7/10 on my VNDB which stands for "Good" :P.

If Chaos;Head is your worst, that means you have only read great Visual novels steins;gate especially since Chaos;Head is good.

If Chaos;Head is your worst, that means you have only read great Visual novels steins;gate especially since Chaos;Head is good.

Uhh yeah pretty much xD

I'm pretty lenient in general though so I don't think I'll ever outright hate a VN and bash on it. Unless it's THAT bad..but we'll see :P

Cross†Channel is definitely the worst one I had read, for most part the only thing going on is protagonist going around sexually harassing any girl he comes across and when he's not he is then either talking about sex or thinking about it, other then that there are some random nonsense talks that are suppose to be comedic here and there, random killings out of nowhere here and there, some pseudo-psychology here and there, a little bit of cheep drama here and there, and some mysteries that don't seem to be important as characters sure don't care about them, like it's just that everyone in world spirited away other then us nothing you can't expect right?