Goat Simulator - Moe Version (SP)

Satsuki

You know your game is shitty when people in the comments actually think you just slapped premade assets together onto the game engine.

It's stupid, but it's not the shittiest of things on Steam so who cares. I daresay at least it's not another Sakura game.

Waiting for Jim Sterling to make a video on it now.

On the scale of 1 to Shower With Your Dad Simulator, I'd give this a solid four in terms of concept.

Where's Inoue Jun when you need him?

Paging @Jun Inoue

Do not fear, one of my many agents already redirected me here!

I personally think we should appreciate the realism this game brings. The only possible reaction to a cute loli randomly destroying things through headbutts and kicks is to run and dance in your undies.

I give this a liquid Would let the loli headbutt me all day long / no number is high enough to avoid being easily surpassed by this masterpiece.

This seems like a painful parody of an admittedly slightly amusing parody.

Silly Aaraon, this is the obvious and only logical evolution of Goat Simulator, not a parody! And with my job done:

c3448699dbba4de823ef857e571e6881.png

Edited by Jun Inoue
Why did I edit? Because I desired to, silly!

Now that I'm not on a mobile device, here's a little rant on this stupidity. This also goes for 99% of "simulator games" out there.

The whole "simulator" trend was started by one game, and that game is Surgeon Simulator. The point of Surgeon Simulator was to be a joke, a parody of its title, by throwing you into a ridiculous situation where you're suppose to operate on a patient using really wonky controls and dealing with crazy physics. So you weren't really simulating what being a real surgeon was like, and that was the whole gag.

Why was Surgeon Simulator a success though? While there are different opinions, I personally think we can attribute the success to a few factors.

First off, Surgeon Simulator had a beginning and an end. You knew what you were supposed to do, you were rewarded for doing things, and that made you feel like you were making your time investment worthy.

Secondly, while the controls were pretty crazy, they still managed to let you do things as long as you got the hang of it. It was a learning experience for sure, but one that was made fun by all the different situations you had to adapt to.

Lastly, Surgeon Simulator actually felt like it had effort put into it. You see, while Surgeon Simulator did come off as a whacky physics game, the fact of the matter is this was very much intentional and the game was made to function correctly with these crazy physics. Yes, things might end up all over the place and you might break some stuff, but the game's core was built around making you work around these scenarios, and that's why it worked so damn well.

Fast forward a bit and you do have games that managed to grasp this working concept and mold it into something unique. Known examples would be "Goat Simulator" and "I Am Bread". Both these titles managed to create controlled chaos that was fun to play and gave its fanbase something to work towards.

So why am I saying all this? Basically to illustrate everything these recent simulator games are not doing.

What most developers of simulator games don't realise is that, what makes the good simulator games is their content, not lack thereof. We don't play goat simulator just because the physics are broken, we play Goat Simulator because on top of having weird physics, these broken physics are put in there to allow you to achieve things. Why is this Yohjo Simulator stupid? Because all it does is letting you play with the environment and then that's it, you've discovered everything the game has to offer. There's nothing to earn, nothing to work towards, nothing to gain, there's just broken physics in a sandbox environment.

But if I had to point out what I most hate about developers who make these kinds of games, its their sheer lack of self awareness, or rather, the way they pretend to be dumb and write off their poorly done game as "satire".

From the Greenlight page:

There's no goal in this game. You need to decide the goal for yourself. It's the same as in life. This is an amazingly realistic simulator. 

You see this shit right here? This is the kind of horse hockey ideals that need to disappear from developing.

Writing off "there's no goal" does not automatically mean it will make your game a fun and creative experience. Minecraft has no explicit goal either, but you know all the content it provides allows you to do something fun. Yohjo Simulator though? Well you can kick walls around. Ain't that fucking fun?

"You can decide the goal for yourself". Well, sure, but what goal? There's absolutely nothing to do!

"It's the same as in life". Bruh, that's so deep, you should post that on /r/ShowerThoughts

And then the cherry on top, "this is an amazingly realistic simulator". Trying to pretend you're dumb, that you yourself understand your game is a joke and laughing it off in the description, shamelessly not caring about the fact you're attempting to sell people an empty box.

But Yohjo Simulator is just one of thousands of "simulator" games that haunt Steam Greenlight. Countless shameless "developers" attempt to patch together some assets in some random game engine to create some sandbox environment where you move around and interact with pointless shit. It never seems to end. For every good simulator game there's 10000 crappy ones. And why? Because people upvote it if you just sugarcoat it enough. Because if it's "memey" enough, it's probably going to get through, and it's a darn shame.

I beg of you, if you care about any form of quality control on games, please don't upvote this kind of crap.

Now that I'm not on a mobile device, here's a little rant on this stupidity. This also goes for 99% of "simulator games" out there.

The whole "simulator" trend was started by one game, and that game is Surgeon Simulator. The point of Surgeon Simulator was to be a joke, a parody of its title, by throwing you into a ridiculous situation where you're suppose to operate on a patient using really wonky controls and dealing with crazy physics. So you weren't really simulating what being a real surgeon was like, and that was the whole gag.

Why was Surgeon Simulator a success though? While there are different opinions, I personally think we can attribute the success to a few factors.

First off, Surgeon Simulator had a beginning and an end. You knew what you were supposed to do, you were rewarded for doing things, and that made you feel like you were making your time investment worthy.

Secondly, while the controls were pretty crazy, they still managed to let you do things as long as you got the hang of it. It was a learning experience for sure, but one that was made fun by all the different situations you had to adapt to.

Lastly, Surgeon Simulator actually felt like it had effort put into it. You see, while Surgeon Simulator did come off as a whacky physics game, the fact of the matter is this was very much intentional and the game was made to function correctly with these crazy physics. Yes, things might end up all over the place and you might break some stuff, but the game's core was built around making you work around these scenarios, and that's why it worked so damn well.

Fast forward a bit and you do have games that managed to grasp this working concept and mold it into something unique. Known examples would be "Goat Simulator" and "I Am Bread". Both these titles managed to create controlled chaos that was fun to play and gave its fanbase something to work towards.

So why am I saying all this? Basically to illustrate everything these recent simulator games are not doing.

What most developers of simulator games don't realise is that, what makes the good simulator games is their content, not lack thereof. We don't play goat simulator just because the physics are broken, we play Goat Simulator because on top of having weird physics, these broken physics are put in there to allow you to achieve things. Why is this Yohjo Simulator stupid? Because all it does is letting you play with the environment and then that's it, you've discovered everything the game has to offer. There's nothing to earn, nothing to work towards, nothing to gain, there's just broken physics in a sandbox environment.

But if I had to point out what I most hate about developers who make these kinds of games, its their sheer lack of self awareness, or rather, the way they pretend to be dumb and write off their poorly done game as "satire".

From the Greenlight page:

There's no goal in this game. You need to decide the goal for yourself. It's the same as in life. This is an amazingly realistic simulator. 

You see this shit right here? This is the kind of horse hockey ideals that need to disappear from developing.

Writing off "there's no goal" does not automatically mean it will make your game a fun and creative experience. Minecraft has no explicit goal either, but you know all the content it provides allows you to do something fun. Yohjo Simulator though? Well you can kick walls around. Ain't that fucking fun?

You can decide the goal for yourself. Well, sure, but what goal? There's absolutely nothing to do!

And then the cherry on top, "this is an amazingly realistic simulator". Trying to pretend you're dumb, that you yourself understand your game is a joke and laughing it off in the description, shamelessly not caring about the fact you're attempting to sell people an empty box.

Yohjo Simulator is just one of thousands of "simulator" games that haunt Steam Greenlight. Countless shameless "developers" attempt to patch together some assets in some random game engine to create some sandbox environment where you move around and interact with pointless shit. It never seems to end. For every good simulator game there's 10000 crappy ones. And why? Because people upvote it if you just sugarcoat it enough. Because if it's "memey" enough, it's probably going to get through, and it's a darn shame.

I beg of you, if you care about any form of quality control on games, please don't upvote this kind of crap.

In all honesty, I think we all know this. And I say we meaning most people. This sort of game will never work mostly because of the things you said. You check out the trailer and think "ok, cool, but... what?". Adding to what you were saying about the success of this games, I think we should add youtubers. People like PewDiePie made games like the Goat Simulator explode and get reknown.

On the other hand, this game exudes lazyness from every part of it, and it's easy to see, so I don't think this "modern" batch of Simulator games will quite catch on at all.

I'm aware the crappy simulator trend is somewhat dying down (thank god) and that people are becoming more aware of how crappy these types of games are, but I still find it important to stress the fact, if not only for those people that just upvote something if they find it derpy enough and don't realize they're setting a poor precedent.

I also absolutely loathe the attitude of these developers.

I don't think this game falls into any field though so hopefully, like you said, it'll just sink in the depths of Steam Greenlight, never to be seen again.

I'm aware the crappy simulator trend is somewhat dying down (thank god) and that people are becoming more aware of how crappy these types of games are, but I still find it important to stress the fact, if not only for those people that just upvote something if they find it derpy enough and don't realize they're setting a poor precedent.

I also absolutely loathe the attitude of these developers.

I don't think this game falls into any field though so hopefully, like you said, it'll just sink in the depths of Steam Greenlight, never to be seen again.

Steam Greenlight is deeply flawed anyway. I wonder if it'll get accepted no matter what is done about it.

This game is an insult to all intelligent life. If anyone has any self-respect they would downvote this game to oblivion. I'm depressed that this isn't the worse thing on greenlight and it makes me even more depressed that this might actually get through and make a lot of money. Their marketing strategy is literally telling people to buy this game because it's stupid and it might actually work.

I think there's no objective good and bad when it comes to games and art in general but pieces of shit like this really make me question myself on that. 

You know your game is shitty when people in the comments actually think you just slapped premade assets together onto the game engine.

It's stupid, but it's not the shittiest of things on Steam so who cares. I daresay at least it's not another Sakura game.

Waiting for Jim Sterling to make a video on it now.

You called it.
Now you got it.
I feel sorry for the poor bastard. 
:makina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHNs6mkG7I

Truth. 

I actually said no thanks for this one...I have no issue if people want it and while the background in some screens actually looks decent, the game overall looks horrible and I really did not care for goat simulator and nothing is going to change that. Not my type of game I think. That said I do look forward to the day when Yandere Simulator is finished.

• 3 weeks later...