What are you playing?

^ given your stated reasons to drop grisaia on twitter you might have problems with leaves, to be honest. Thinking about it, it has just the same theme of protag finding / saving himself and saving a girl at the same time thingy.

I don't mind it if the protag sees growth and solves some of his own problems, but Yuuji as a protag does not do that in my eyes and remains static throughout. Part of that reason might be because the VN is part of a larger series, but I'm no longer going to subject myself to it anymore in the hopes that it happens. 

I have to disagree with you on Yuuji not changing. He clearly does pull himself out of a murk he's in through the whole PowerOfLove thingy. It's not stated in huge boldface all the time, but frankly it's probably at the level that the protag in LEAVEs improves as well...

I feel thats wrong. I never felt he was in any sort of "murk". He's clearly capable and has everything in order. And throughout the novel, he does show his softer side towards everyone, even during common. So him falling in love is no surprise. 

I'm planning on possibly doing a longer post on it, but to sum it up, I really hate the story type all the routes seem to follow once on a route. All of the heroines need "saving" from a knight in shining armor (who then fucks them). Its lazy and that story structure bores me to tears. 

I can understand that. I dislike helpless heroines as much as I hate weak-willed, milquetoast protoganists. There's a place for that thematically, but a lot of times it just stinks of wish fulfillment.

I'd love to read a more broad criticism of it, should you find the time to write one up. I haven't read it yet, but I find it enjoyable measuring up movies/VNs/games to criticism as I go along.

Finished another route in Akatsuki no goei, Reika's route. Which looks like the "main" one, alot more backstory about the protag in this one. But acutally I kinda liked Tsuki's route more. Must be the tsundere

maid and first playthrough feeling that made me like that. Anyway I think I will say myself finished with this novel for now. Maybe read Aya's route for last.... But I am kinda meh on that.

I acutally felt I could read this novel rather "fast" and "easily" now. Therefore I will change my my novel playing order. I am starting to read Grisaia no Rakuen (Grisaia 3rd sequel). I found the 2nd grisaia title very challenging to read. I am reading a truckload faster now. I can't believe how fast I have improved. I have prbly been reading raw jp vn's just under ~100 hours. But I am multiple times faster than when I started. To a level I feel like I am reading, not analysing. My progress will likely slow down though.. As it takes a long time to understand and remember the scarely used kanji combinations and and get a large vocab... (Dammit, now I became frustrated. lol. Seems like I can never get 2 strikes in a row with jp reading...)

I can understand that. I dislike helpless heroines as much as I hate weak-willed, milquetoast protoganists. There's a place for that thematically, but a lot of times it just stinks of wish fulfillment.

I'd love to read a more broad criticism of it, should you find the time to write one up. I haven't read it yet, but I find it enjoyable measuring up movies/VNs/games to criticism as I go along.

I actually agree with batman on some parts. The story is kinda standard and the school drama isn't that interesting. I found it to be kinda okay. What made me interesting in it was the protag. The backstory and such.

All of the characters have a different way of thinking and speaking. But it imo often it becomes the same jokes over again when you complete all the different routes.

The 2nd game in the series has alot more story on yuji, backstory, how he shaped, how weak he is etc.

That being said, I can see why batman dropped it. As with most vn's it's a question does the vn fit you? And what failings are you willing to look aside and still manage enjoy the vn.

Formally dropped Grisaia today. It's unbearable to read at this point for all the wrong reasons. It's also put a damper my enthusiasm towards starting anything new. Might give Leaves a go though. 

I'm curious, how many hours did you play before you dropped it? I have a lot of issues with Grisaia (Forced drama, "Ichigaya" being run by a bunch of morons that would make 24's CTU look competent, a common route that is effectively plotless and goes nowhere for about 20-25 hours, among other things), but I think it was fun enough, and Angelic Howl was definitely the highlight of the game. You should at least give that part a chance.

After a month long hiatus from VN's after finishing Grisaia, I have finally gotten back into the game. I just started reading Muv-Luv Extra, despite what I have heard about it not being able to match up to other titles, and people saying just to skip it and go straight to Alternative. I plan on finishing it all the way through so I can appreciate Alternative that much more when I get to it, especially if something ffom Extra comes into play later on.

I just started reading Muv-Luv Extra, despite what I have heard about it not being able to match up to other titles, and people saying just to skip it and go straight to Alternative. I plan on finishing it all the way through so I can appreciate Alternative that much more when I get to it, especially if something ffom Extra comes into play later on.

Yeah, definitely don't skip Extra. I mean, it's bad, but at least it's not boring. And I can't imagine going into Alternative without Extra/Unlimited.

Your body is not ready for Alternative.

I feel thats wrong. I never felt he was in any sort of "murk". He's clearly capable and has everything in order. And throughout the novel, he does show his softer side towards everyone, even during common. So him falling in love is no surprise. 

That is uh, completely wrong. 'How' Yuuji helps the girls is proof that he's in a murk and fog. That's pretty obvious, honestly. If you didn't read any of the good parts *Makina, Amane* then you might have missed it, but Grisaia is far, far from a self insert.

To stay on topic: Baldr Sky. Currently in the middle of Rain's route in Dive1. This setting is cyberpunk nerdom to the absolute max. Its awesome.

Playing through first Akatsuki no Goei game now, done 彩 and 萌 routes so far. Quite hard to tell whether I like it or not.

But at least all characters are very unique and I don't hate any of them even tho they act quite cringeworthy sometimes. Was very pissed at how Reika treats Kaito at first, but she's very reasonable for tsundere ojousama most of the time, and Kaito mistreats her on daily basis as well, so its not one-sided abuse.

Kaito being able to tell her "fuck off, I'm not your errand boy, I'm only bodyguard" was nice thing to see, but he's very inconsistent and sometimes acts like complete retard.

Also, that fucking maid. She is most annoying female character so far, but at same time she is kinda cute and I like how she speaks when she engages her monotonous mode. Will probably do her route last.

Currently reading Harukoi Otome and finishing up the last of Yukizakura...

If there is one thing that I gotta say, It's that all the Drama in Harukoi is almost unbearable. Every single route in the whole game is accompanied by heavy drama that feels like it's there just to be there. And it's annoying me to no end.

Should be finishing Kara no Shoujo today. As far as quality goes it's certainly above average but there's something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. I still have the true ending to go though so it may surprise me.

Then i'll move onto either Heart de Roommate or Muv-Luv.

You have chosen well. Da Capo is one of my top 5 VN's so far. I can't wait until DCIII is translated.

I'm planning on waiting for that 3rd translation before I play any of the Da Capo games, though I am looking forward to them.

Should be finishing Kara no Shoujo today. As far as quality goes it's certainly above average but there's something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. I still have the true ending to go though so it may surprise me.

It will leave you frustrated, possibly. It's a massive cliffhanger ending that is only resolved at the very end of the sequel.

I'm planning on waiting for that 3rd translation before I play any of the Da Capo games, though I am looking forward to them.

There are more Da Capo games than just I, II, and III though.  For example, Da Capo Four Seasons, which was multple fandiscs compiled into a complete game.

And then there is Da Capo III Platina-Partner, D.C.III.P.P. (quoth SeventhStyle:  "At this point, the game’s acronym resembles some missile launch code")

Seems like, one could make a hobby out of just playing Da Capo games.  So, you might as well get started right away...