What are you playing?

So, I'm back reading Hoshimemo after starting it and delaying it for like a year.

htts://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pDz-HrWcs

imYHctG.gif

The only VN to ever treat a little sister realistically and everyone finds it annoying.

Welcome world, that's how smaller siblings work.  :wahaha:

On-topic, I feel like the voices for Asuho and Chinami were accidentally switched. Chinami just sounds older than Asuho. 

I Had to drop Muramasa....It was such a damn good action packed VN, 30 minutes into it, and a ton of action already, just so looking forward to it...but the vertical text...WHY???? I cannot stand it...Just literally can't...It hurts my eyes reading the text vertically, so I'm gonna drop it because i'm not planning on straining my eyes for 50+ hours, went on vndb and used the action tag, and Now I'm reading Baldr Sky dive, seems like a really damn good vn the first 10 minutes..and I don't seem to understand why Baldr Sky dive is not English translated...the interface.. the words in the intro...the crew and cast roles...are in english,but its off to a good start....but i'm considering learning japanese... Read some where else it took them 1 year of learning and they managed Steins gate as their first read( he later became a translator), I don't expect to have his Talent, but knowing Mandarin is a Hellluva advantage since Chinese and Kanji are similar.

Apparently there's an ini setting or something similar to switch the Muramasa text box to horizontal mode. 

Thank you so much for this information, because I just love that VN,andI would Hate to put it down because of the text box, I'm gonna search the internet for a means of making the text box horizontal, if there is one.

^What dice said.

Sounds fun, too:
"This is a dating simulation game based on Chinese students' real life. 

You can have romantic relationship with classmates, 
but remember that you have just 100 days while preparing for "Gaokao".

Keep a balance between score and romance, or just drop one and see what would happen? 
There are over 10 story lines and will lead to more than 50 ends."

~~
I was about to get a head start on Yume Miru Kusuri for the VN Club but uh not everything's prepared yet so I'm thinking finally playing Narcissu or something in the meantime since it's short.

VNDB tags are littered with the words dying, depression, utsuge  :vinty:

That actually looks great. But china is scary.

The art is surprisingly good. But that translation is so... well, it's machine translated. The english script reads so terribly. You will probably not have a good time reading it. Although I suppose there are some amusing aspects to it.

ss_053d86f53df235f07336183abd29d2195fbf9

mRgcdap.gif

^Was that supposed to be 'So young, so naive' instead or something xD

I am the last person you should be asking.

ss_91646e925d7c490838aae6e0594bcbc1cac55

26gL5xd.jpg

edit: Accurate depiction of a chinese classroom, still equipped with a chalk blackboard and no TVs. But they do have the luxury of having two wall-mounted rotary  fans.

Welp I'm sorta inactive for a while so I guess I'll throw in an update on what I did this week besides spamming Moemon

I think I said it somewhere here before but I was playing Eien no Aselia. The gameplay and concept is good and all with the interesting culture of the 'other world' but the story and characters are lacking.

For the love of swords the protag keeps on demanding power from his sword whenever he needs it and says EVERY.SINGLE.TIME that he WILL give up everything JUST for that goddamn time and yet he NEVER gave in to the sword's desires. It's like making an on-the-spot promise and says that "Oops it was just a spur of the moment *teehee*" and never fulfills it. Well at least to the point where I stopped. Next up is his obsession problem with his sister. You're one serious siscon if you'll be willing to hack through people just to save your sister. Plus, his sister hasn't done anything else aside from crying for her Onii-chan, get kidnapped, do household chores, get kidnapped, and serve tea. It's like she only exists to be kidnapped and be a reason for the protag to keep on fighting. Lastly, the pacing is terrible. I believe I entered Aselia's route and yet I don't see anything enough that could've served to that result. I mean, there's some moments but seriously? I believe those moments can be counted in less than one hand.

I could go on and on but that would probably destroy any chances of others playing the game and gain enough hate to destroy the world. Also, regardless of all these things I'll still say that it's definitely readable and enjoyable. I know that I only threw in negative things in here but the game is still worth a read. I probably became hysterical on this one because most of the VNs I read from the start belong to the good VNs. Anyway I stalled at my first playthrough so there's definitely some chance that it'll git gud.

Next up is Kara no Shoujo. This is the first mystery VN I've ever read so I'm quite inexperienced with this genre but I believe that it was a good read. At the very least I enjoyed it and it was entertaining. The investigation and inference parts are a really good feature. It makes it more interesting for the reader to do something to solve the cases but it's somewhat unforgiving. If you miss one important thing then you'll probably end up in a bad end. Btw it has tons of bad ends so the people who enjoy those should give it a go.

Even the True End isn't happy. It gives you the feeling that you did something but at the same time it feels like you didn't complete it. Strangely enough, they inserted the resolution for the protag's initial problem of not solving the case where his fiancee died quite unnaturally. There was a sudden clue that pretty much gave everything he needed to solve it unlike the main mysteries. Well leaving it unsolved would've also been bad but they could've added it subtly along the main story. Speaking of the main story, they used madness as the motive too much imo. I don't really read newspapers or read mysteries but I believe another motive would do nicely. I mean, using it once is fine but doing it on both of the cases is weird.

Lastly is Bunny Black. Looking back, I think all of these has gameplay involved one way or another. Didn't really aim for it but oh well. There wasn't a serious plot on this one so I won't talk about it much but I'll say that it is really entertaining. A bit of warning tho, it's full of rape. I'm not really a fan of it (I hate it as a matter of fact) but it seemed so . . . natural in the game. I think that's a plus? Well onto the gameplay, which is its main feature. It's a dungeon-crawling style RPG so expect a lot of walking in the darkness. The battles don't really require much effort since you're limited to controlling only one unit and the others have AI, albeit a really bad AI. Although giving general commands such as its playstyle could help it slightly. As for the difficulty, it's really easy tbh. At first you might have some problems since you're still trying to get used to it but before the mid point until the end is pretty much a breeze. I started it with the easiest difficulty since the game suggested it but not really needed much. Although don't go for the highest difficulty since the starting enemies damage like crazy at the start. My second playthrough had the highest difficulty but it didn't really give the impression of unbeatable. So yeah it needs a bit of balancing but it's still a good game. Don't expect much from the story tho.

It suddenly turned into "What did you play?" so I'll give in on what I'm playing atm.

Currently playing Cartagra. Main reason is because there's not enough Hatsune in Kara no Shoujo. Secondary reason is because I want to see more of the comedic couple (Shugo and his wife) and I'm enjoying it. Strangely enough, I find the UI better even if it's released earlier. And the fullscreen shift is better for me for some reason.

Some horrible dark urge compelled me. I am playing this now.

zwcXcr6.jpg

So far, it is NOT a Bliss. Interesting note about it, the game starts with you hooking up with a friend in the intro. But there are multiple heroines, so you are given the chance to break up with that first girl. I wonder if there is two-timing as well. 

Also, the voice acting seems bad. I mean, I can't understand it, but it's all kind of unenergetic, like none of the voice actresses give a shit. The art IS actually alright, though, and the music is even decent. This might have been a surprisingly acceptable title if the translation wasn't godawful.

edit: Give this game to Kratoscar, it will be his new favorite

T8bziPJ.jpg

edit 2: 

aNVPBKe.jpg

I don't think that's quite the right term, Joey. Also... "Joey"?

Also, opening things with an Evangelion reference, interesting choice...

725iJzE.jpg

Also the teacher's nickname is "Medusa" which is not something I'd expect from a chinese game. It seems to be that way in the chinese version, considering her hair seems deliberately made to resemble a gorgon's. I've always thought of China as one of those countries that do not hold other cultures in high regard and wouldn't be likely to teach or reference greek mythology.

Although you got me on whatever a "Window School" is meant to be.