What are you playing?

Aye, so I'm still in the common route of Hoshimemo and I'm wondering what route order I should follow.

I'm aware that it has a partially enforced order. I was thinking Isuzu -> Asuho -> Komomo -> Kosame -> Chinami, since I usually do my 2nd favorite girl first and save my favorite one for last, but I was wondering if there's a better order to do it in in regards to maybe some repetitive themes, plot points, or reveals that might be better than what I'm currently planning.

Shinku keeps me from playing Iroseka, and it's all Steve's fault. :P I'll get around to it eventually though, as it supposedly has a good story.

Also your Ushinawareta signature is giving me intense PTSD.

Finally, I just pretty much dropped everything yesterday and made progress in the infinite VN, Higurashi Sui. I've finished the Someutsushi arc - one of the "advanced stories", as they call them, arcs that originally weren't in the story but add to it with other details and hints (or mislead you further, because yay Ryukishi). This arc was largelly based on the spin-off manga arc, Onisarashi, with the main difference being a new detective character, Mirai Tomoe, replacing a different character who would've otherwise been a spoiler at this point in the story.

Someutsushi takes place shortly after Tatarigoroshi (the Satoko arc), focusing on a completely new cast of characters in Tokyo. The main character is Kimiyoshi Natsumi, who has moved away from Hinamizawa/Okinomiya with her family, trying to start a new life in the capital. Among them is a grandma, who is as superstitious as the other elders in Hinamizawa, however. As they say, anyone who leaves Hinamizawa behind gets cursed, and this arcs shows us if this is true or not...

Overall, I found this arc very good. The new characters were refreshing - Natsumi was cute, her classmates funny, and Tomoe awesome. I'm not sure who wrote this arc, but it was significantly better than the other new arcs I've read so far, Tsukotoshi and Taraimawashi. Except for a weird moment in the second to last chapter, the pacing was great, feeling like any other Higurashi story - starting out fun and peaceful, and ending, well... :) The BGMs and SFX were also very nicely used (this was a disaster in Tsukiotoshi for some reason), also showing much better direction. The art was a small minus, in my opinion, as the classmates' sprites looked noticeably different in style from the rest (their eyes were really small, not sure what happened there), but it did help separate the story from the main Higurashi even better. That doesn't mean it didn't fit, though - quite the opposite. It surprised me the most how it actually fit right in, sprinkling hints and lies where some were needed, serving as a great epilogue to the question arcs. All in all, Someutsushi was my favourite new arc by far.

Next up is the new section of the story, can't wait~

Taking a break from baldr sky dive,I think it's a good idea when your 100+ hours into the game and you still got half way to go...can't take it anymore...gonna try something new for once, Hoshizora no Memoria, it was recommended in the searching for funny vn thread, so I thought I might give it a go. This is my first time Reading a VN with no action in it, hopefully its not as bad as I think it is. 

Shit, haven't really been reading much vn's lately. Completed SekaiDame about a week ago or so, it was a good vn. Currently reading Sona-Nyl. Although it's a excellent vn, I am not in the mood for vn's >_<

Finished Steins;Gate a few days ago (read the entire thing within a 5-day span) and now I don't know what to read. Steins;Gate was too good and I feel like I'm going to be disappointed with whatever I read next. Thinking I might read Chaos;Head since its part of the series. Kara no Shoujo looks really good too. I'll probably read one of those two.

I just finished Emi's route on Katawa Shoujo and I have to say that I am not impressed. I didn't really set any sort of standard but it's still . . . bad, for me. I almost didn't get to see the ending coming for the reason that the buildup was so weak that I didn't notice it. They dragged on the problem for too long that it became boring so yeah, pacing problems. I thought another conflict would rise after that and that would be the real clincher. Too bad I was wrong. I appreciate that they put a not too negative feel on the disability but they barely utilized it. It became something like a normal trait . . .

The accident was the real cause of the problem tbh so I have no idea what in the world did they even think of using the legless thingy on.

Hide your pitchforks people. This is merely my opinion and I have only read one route so far and I believe there was more than one writer so it should be different.

Finished Steins;Gate a few days ago (read the entire thing within a 5-day span) and now I don't know what to read. Steins;Gate was too good and I feel like I'm going to be disappointed with whatever I read next. Thinking I might read Chaos;Head since its part of the series. Kara no Shoujo looks really good too. I'll probably read one of those two.

Chaos;Head is different from Steins;Gate, don't expect the same kind of story, Chaos;Head is more of a dark tale. 

I just finished Emi's route on Katawa Shoujo and I have to say that I am not impressed. (...)

You are not alone ;) I also really disliked Emi route. Well, mostly because Emi was in it :P Being genki type is bad, being genki type that engages in sport is terrible, being genki type that engages in sport and isn't at least kind boke with big heart is beyond salvage. However that's not just preferences. Romance is just not enjoyable. She don't want to get close, turning hostile when you try to help her and don't really care who she is with as long as sex is hard and preferably anal -.-' Also there is not enough plot and it's not good enough to accept this crappy romance. One could say "it's good, because it's realistic", but I read VN looking for enjoyment, not just realism.

So yea, you are not alone and there are people that disliked Emi route (probably) even more than you did :P

You are not alone ;) I also really disliked Emi route. Well, mostly because Emi was in it :P Being genki type is bad, being genki type that engages in sport is terrible, being genki type that engages in sport and isn't at least kind boke with big heart is beyond salvage. However that's not just preferences. Romance is just not enjoyable. She don't want to get close, turning hostile when you try to help her and don't really care who she is with as long as sex is hard and preferably anal -.-' Also there is not enough plot and it's not good enough to accept this crappy romance. One could say "it's good, because it's realistic", but I read VN looking for enjoyment, not just realism.

So yea, you are not alone and there are people that disliked Emi route (probably) even more than you did :P

I don't necessarily hate Emi. In fact, I went for her route since she had a bubbly personality and I don't hate that kind of thing. It's just that her route was rather bland and didn't have much to offer. Predictable, to say the least, but I felt no hate for the heroine of the route. She's not useless. After all, Hisao himself said that he believes that she can solve her own problem but he still wants to help. Also, I picked up Katawa Shoujo and it's pretty obvious that it would have have drama and romance elements in it so I can say that I expected it and wanted to enjoy it if possible. It would be strange if I viewed the romance genre as boring and picked up an obviously romantic VN and say that it's crap. That's just using the wrong tool for the wrong job.

Lastly, I have no idea where you got the idea but she's not the type to just have sex with anyone. She did say that she had a boyfriend before but broke up with him. Hisao ended up being too close but also had the guts (maybe tactlessness) to force his kindness on stubborn Emi.

I just want to clear it up since I didn't hate the route because of Emi but simply because of how bland and predictable it is. Maybe a bit of Hisao too but that's another story.

Geh, I planned to make a review for Gaokao, but...

57 endings, meh...

Not to mention that I only managed to meet 1 out of 2 hidden heroines, and I did not even learn her name yet.

I'm sooo done with this game...

The 57 endings sounded intriguing at first, but all of the curiosity and excitement disappeared just as soon as I saw what exactly the game is. :( I take it it's not even that good for what it is, judging by the reaction?

As Fuwanovel's #1 Chaos;Head fan, let me recommend this great VN!

No, but really, C;H is pretty great, but definitely don't go in expecting S;G, it's quite different. It focuses more on dark themes and has a purposefully hetare protagonist, so just keep that in mind before you get into it. Kara no Shoujo is also a great pick, if you're looking for an utsuge with an unforgiving mystery.

I'll also just be paraphrasing Ayana here, but it might be a good idea to space out the better VNs with things you don't have so much expectations for - if you have titles like that - as not to diminish the value of the potentially great VNs just because you read them one after another. I'll be attempting the same thing myself, curious on how it goes-- but it does sound good in theory. :D

The 57 endings sounded intriguing at first, but all of the curiosity and excitement disappeared just as soon as I saw what exactly the game is. :( I take it it's not even that good for what it is, judging by the reaction?

No, actually it's quite decent imo. Kinda remind me of myself when I was in high school (because of some circumstances that I don't really want to talk about, just like the MC, I also played truant from school almost everyday and camped in the net cafe until evening, not long before the final exam coming). It's just that I don't really like dating-sim type of game (I even dropped genuine dating-sim style games like the Cation series), and yeah, the game is not interesting enough for me to explore every single endings.

As Fuwanovel's #1 Chaos;Head fan, let me recommend this great VN!

No, but really, C;H is pretty great, but definitely don't go in expecting S;G, it's quite different. It focuses more on dark themes and has a purposefully hetare protagonist, so just keep that in mind before you get into it. Kara no Shoujo is also a great pick, if you're looking for an utsuge with an unforgiving mystery.

I'll also just be paraphrasing Ayana here, but it might be a good idea to space out the better VNs with things you don't have so much expectations for - if you have titles like that - as not to diminish the value of the potentially great VNs just because you read them one after another. I'll be attempting the same thing myself, curious on how it goes-- but it does sound good in theory. :D

Yeah, I started reading it last night and can already tell that it is far different from S;G. I was more or less looking for a darker title to read next, so I think I made a good choice based on what you guys have said.

About the spacing out of good VNs with lesser ones, I had thought about doing that but I feel like reading lesser quality visual novels will just make me want to read less in general. I've had that problem in the past with other VNs where it would get extremely boring etc and then I'd just stop for months. I'd rather read good stuff while I'm in the mood rather than waste it on poor quality stuff.

I just finished Emi's route on Katawa Shoujo and I have to say that I am not impressed. I didn't really set any sort of standard but it's still . . . bad, for me. I almost didn't get to see the ending coming for the reason that the buildup was so weak that I didn't notice it. They dragged on the problem for too long that it became boring so yeah, pacing problems. I thought another conflict would rise after that and that would be the real clincher. Too bad I was wrong. I appreciate that they put a not too negative feel on the disability but they barely utilized it. It became something like a normal trait . . .

The accident was the real cause of the problem tbh so I have no idea what in the world did they even think of using the legless thingy on.

Hide your pitchforks people. This is merely my opinion and I have only read one route so far and I believe there was more than one writer so it should be different.

My take on Katawa Shoujo is that it's... fine. Some routes are definitely better than others - Emi's was right in the middle, for me (I enjoyed Lilly and Hanako more, Rin and Shizune less).

One thing I think you might be missing about Katawa Shoujo: a big, big point of the story is that the characters' disabilities aren't related to the problems they have (and when I say characters, I include not just the heroines, but also Hisao). It's a moral the game likes to harp on: disabled people are not defined by their disabilities.

I do completely agree with you that the conflicts in the game are just not heavy enough to leave a huge impact, really.

One thing I think you might be missing about Katawa Shoujo: a big, big point of the story is that the characters' disabilities aren't related to the problems they have (and when I say characters, I include not just the heroines, but also Hisao). It's a moral the game likes to harp on: disabled people are not defined by their disabilities.

I do completely agree with you that the conflicts in the game are just not heavy enough to leave a huge impact, really.

I believe that is exactly the problem. This game is about the disabled girls. I really appreciate the fact that they didn't make the girls look like helpless people because of their disabilities but they didn't even use it and like I said before, just became a normal trait. If the other routes are similar to Emi's in this aspect, then they just made a romance VN with heroines and their tragic pasts. Then we arrive at the same problem. All they did was get closure on the events that happened a few years ago, which didn't really leave much of an impression.