Kagura Douchuuki on Greenlight

As I mentioned in my article, this appears to be an initiative from the Japanese side.  Considering that Debonosu announced the title themselves, rather than an English publisher, we can assume that Debonosu holds the English license and simply contracted a group to translate it for them.  This increases the likelihood that we'll see more Debonosu games in English (assuming this game sells well).

I imagine poor Japanese sales motivated this move.  I've been tracking scores on Erogamescape, and it seems like over time Debonosu's releases have attracted less and less attention (number of votes).  Given the general low quality of VNs on Steam, and the sparsity of gameplay VNs, perhaps Debonosu thinks they've found a new market niche to exploit.  If Steam users flock to subpar games like Sakura Spirit, then a professional release along the same lines with decent gameplay could do pretty well.  The one problem I could imagine is that with all the ero stripped out the remaining fanservice might not be enough to appeal to the Sakura Spirit crowd.

@firecat, yeah thats right & happened alot since now. but it only makes sense when the plot/story is somehow left intact after beeing castrated by censor-chan & thats what i´m heavily doubting in this case. i mean after cutting said games sole purpose out(raped by defeat), everything the player is left with, is a mediocre rpg without any special appeal.

The major problem I see in doing this is that, this is an ero RPG, the gameplay is supposed to reward you with erotic content, but with that erotic content removed, what is the player rewarded with exactly??

Especially when it's clear the mechanics of this are not really the most well fleshed out so it's not like it'll provide a great deal of entertainment through gameplay alone.

This basically turns the game into a grindey hollow shell. 

only thing that scares me more about the whole situation, is the amount of hyping/positive comments it got up until now on steam....reminds me at a flock of sheep blindly following everything
...but what should one expect from your average premature sakura series fanboy...

only thing that scares me more about the whole situation, is the amount of hyping/positive comments it got up until now on steam....reminds me at a flock of sheep blindly following everything

Those come from people who seem to think cute anime characters automatically make a great game without further research or anything.

This is why Akiba's Trip is popular right now even though the game is kinda boring after you played it for like an hour, or why the Sakura series keeps getting upvoted even though anyone who's ever been into visual novels or eroge knows it's absolute garbage.

It's just weeb bait for the masses.

Also the amount of people voting for average games on Greenlight without a second thought has always been high, nothing new to see in this particular title, especially since it looks better than half of the stuff upvoted on Greenlight.

...but what should one expect from your average premature sakura series fanboy...

What do you think the Steam masses are hyped about?  All they can see is art and gameplay snippets, and Debonosu's art is excellent even among Japanese eroge.  I agree that the main hook for this game, and indeed the entire series, is the defeat rape and sexual content.  This being a Japanese initiative, I wonder if they're even capable of listening to the fans--who actually care--that don't want this release to be butchered.

Edited by sanahtlig

think they dont, as you can see that noone (from their staff) really responded to the ones complaining/or asking about the huge amount of cut out content..
though its cool to see japanese developers beeing more & more interested in the western market, i despise the way they are offering an absolute massacred version of their game to the ignorant masses, fully knowing those ignorant dudes hyping nearly everything related to japan (cause jp is sooo cool :P), in expectation of making some quick money. hope that doesnt become common practise, where the minimum quality required of getting steam-greenlighted will be the benchmark for future western releases, totally neglecting the wishes & hopes of a more demanding class of customers. i´m noway against anyone releasing new visual novels on steam, as long as the product offered is not highly inferior to the uncut version in terms of gameplay value, beacause thats somehow dishonest & means willingly taking advantage of clueless buyers. & nooo the buyers are not the ones at fault for beeing interested in that kind of novels on steam, not knowing that they´re getting screwed over by the industrie, that takes advantage of their naivity. correct me if i´m wrong, but on the steampage we´re talking about has been not one single hint of the game beeing heavily censored & that one wont get to experience it to the fullest/or the way it was meant to be. therefore i truly wish everyone involved in this undertaking only the worst - getting their games cracked & pirated ....

It's time to get real.  I sent Debonosu the following message on Twitter.

米国人です。でぼの巣のゲーム(英語訳)ほしいですが、前年齢用版だけがだめです。18歳以上用版下さいませんか?米国人がとても大嫌いです、言論弾圧のこと。でぼの巣のゲームはとてもエロいですから、前年齢用版は勿体無いです。
English: I'm an American.  While I want Debonosu's titles (in English), an all-ages version only is no good.  Can we have the 18+ version?  Americans really hate censorship.  Debonosu's games are very erotic, so all-ages versions are a waste (come to think of it, this could be translated as "more than we deserve"...oops).

We'll see if they respond.

I follow up yesterday's tweet to Debonosu with an appeal to fans of gameplay eroge and opponents of senseless censorship.

Tell Debonosu you want the uncut version of Kagura Douchuuki

For those who are opposed to Steam censorship of this title, here's what you can do.

Go to Debonosu's twitter account (@debonosu) and tweet this message:
言論弾圧には反対です。18歳以上用版(英語訳)下さい!
I am opposed to censorship. Please give us the 18+ version (in English)!

If enough fans speak up, they might listen and also release the original 18+ version in partnership with an eroge publisher like Sekai Project, Mangagamer, or JAST USA.