Your favourite old time VNs? ('90s era)

GLM4475

Oh, it was nostalgic when playing those VNs, it feels like we can understand the feeling of VN lovers that time with their limited resources for hardware and software.

So guys (who ever playing those old timer VNs), what is your favourite?

Did you want to ask this question from guys who have been playing VNs for long time or did you just want old VNs generally? (sorry I didn't quite catch what you wanted to ask)

I have only just only tried this VN but I feel like it'll become one of my favorites. https://vndb.org/v893

I just love the art and the old feeling it has in it. (I would appreciate if someone knows similar winter themed VNs like this)

I think kanon was that old but tbh I will say something too harsh here, being a rather young brat, I never think I will enjoy these vns no matter how hard I try. Like I barely finished one route in kanon and I don't think I will pick it up ever again, the art is just ughhh.

But it's fine, right? Being able to enjoy vns based greatly on good art is ok, right?

I think kanon was that old but tbh I will say something too harsh here, being a rather young brat, I never think I will enjoy these vns no matter how hard I try. Like I barely finished one route in kanon and I don't think I will pick it up ever again, the art is just ughhh.

But it's fine, right? Being able to enjoy vns based greatly on good art is ok, right?

YU-NO, hands down.

There are plenty of old VNs that look great, don't use Key art to say that old VNs are too ugly. YU-NO looks fantastic, for example. A lot of Elf games did. Key is special, because their art has been notably terrible compared to their contemporaries for the past 15 years.

I liked Policenauts (by the same author), but the shooting sections were quite frustrating.

Both Snatcher and Policenauts are great. Maybe now that Kojima is freed from the clutches of Konami and their MGS factory maybe he can go back to making cool adventure games again. (disclaimer, I love MGS too, but it should have ended a while ago...)

I see, the votings are:

1. YU-NO; Policenauts                                                                        3 votes

2. True Love; Snatcher                                                                       2 votes

3. Nocturnal Illusion; To Heart; Sakura Taisen; Season of Sakura               1 vote

Well, I've played Nocturnal Illision, True Love, Season of Sakura and Policenauts. They have their own good points.

Nocturnal Illusion's good points are its unique navigation system and the one time choice for getting the girls; you wouldn't have to worry about getting the wrong route or something like that.

While True Love's good point is its simple and common playthrough (hey, is it a good point?)

About Season of Sakura, hmmm, this is another common story with nothing really stand out, well not bad nevertheless.

And Policenauts huh, an action VN with the touch of 90's, a must play really.

I have never played To Heart and Sakura Taisen, they haven't been translated to English, so I can't say anything about them.

Retro feeling is something so hard to get now, with new VNs getting better and better, "who will play those old games" or something like that. 

Nope. Story>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Art. Also, you have to learn to appreciate old art. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. The style is more important than the technology.

I'm with hsmsful on this topic in general. As an example in another medium, I simply don't enjoy watching old movies, regardless of how good they are. Watching Casablanca was a horrible experience for me - there's something fundamental that makes me just unable to connect with it (I don't know if it's black-and-white, camerawork, or what). The same thing happens to me with old games as well - unless I have a preexisting connection with it, I'm pretty much unable to enjoy anything older than ~ 5 years old.

With VNs, I personally have a bit more leniency - I was able to play Kanon, in particular, without too many problems. But given how I feel about other media, I think it's totally reasonable that other folks around here just aren't able to enjoy old VNs.

Also, I totally disagree with that last paragraph. As much as we can discuss the relative artistic merits of the Visual Novel art form and specific VNs, I think most of us aren't here to be art critics - at least, I'm certainly not. We're here because we find VNs entertaining. If something doesn't float your boat, then move on. If you like something but someone else doesn't, well, that needs to be cool too.

Hmm, Kanon is not in the range unfortunately. I said 90's era.

Umm. Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanon:"Kanon (カノン?) is a Japanese adult visual novel developed by Key released on June 4, 1999 for Windows PCs."

starlessn1ght, on 04 May 2015 - 8:38 PM, said:

Nope. Story>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Art. Also, you have to learn to appreciate old art. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. The style is more important than the technology.

But still, 1999 means it's early 21st century. 

Late 20th century, exactly how late depends upon your definition of the Millennium/Century. There's the standard definition, that the new century began in the year 2000, or the more technical definition, which states that because there was no year "0" the last year of the Century was the year "2000" with the new century beginning in the year "2001."

EDIT: Also Kanon is 16 years old now, I'm sure you'd understand why people consider it an "old-style" VN :P