Visual Novel sale numbers

Some Steamspy data I nicked from 4chan cause I was bored.  

Long Live The Queen - 263,665 ± 21,860 people own this game on Steam
Sakura Spirit - 141,536 ±16,021
Analogue: A Hate Story - 134,909 ±15,641
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ - 97,513 ±13,299
Hatoful Boyfriend - 83,312 ± 12,293

Rising Angels: Reborn - 86,626 ±12,535
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club - 77,159 ± 11,830
Hate Plus - 76,685 ±11,794

Magical Diary - 71,005 ± 11,349

Huniepop - 63,431 ± 10,727

The Yawhg - 55,384 ± 10,023
Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 46,390 ± 9,174

Loren the Amazon Princess - 45,443 ± 9,080

Cinders - 44,970 ± 9,032
NEKOPARA Vol. 1 - 44,496 ±8,984

Cherry Tree High I! My! Girls! - 42,130 ± 8,742
WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01 - 38,816 ±8,391
War of the Human Tanks - 39,763 ± 8,493
Roommates - 28,402 ± 7,178
Sakura Angels - 19,881 ±6,006

Fading Hearts - 17,515 ± 5,637
If My Heart Had Wings - 16,568 ± 5,482
Always Remember Me - 15,148 ± 5,242
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ - 11,834 ±4,633

Unhack - 10,887 ± 4,444

eden* - 9,467 ±4,144
fault milestone one - 7,574 ±3,707
Pyrite Heart - 5,680 ±3,210

Dandelion - Wishes brought to you - 4,734 ± 2,930
Cho Dengeki Stryker - 3,314 ±2,452

Oblivious Garden ~ Carmina Burana - 2,840 ± 2,270
Princess Evangile - 2,467 ± 4,833
Littlewitch Romanesque: Editio Regia - 1,378 ± 2,700

Nameless ~ The one thing you must recall ~ - 1,378 ± 2,700
Sunrider Academy - 473 ±926

Free ones:

Everlasting Summer - 308,161 ± 23,631
Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius - 266,978 ± 21,997
Narcissu 1st & 2nd - 134,909 ± 15,641
Without Within - 97,040 ± 13,267
Rising Angels: Reborn - 86,626 ± 12,535

http://steamspy.com/

Cho Dengeki Stryker has some embarassing stats, considering it's been on Steam for over 6 months.

It's not surprising considering that it was the first VN on Steam to cause an outrage over censorship, which no doubt greatly affected its sales.

The top 10 is cringeworthy, though hardly surprising.

I assumed Dysfunctional Systems would have abysmal sales, judging by how the developer put it.

I wonder how good the more popular VNs would do if they ever got on steam, #Clannad #F/SN ect...

I think they would do good but not fantastic. Most of us already got the VN and I think we all would rather buy the physical copy if we can afford it. 

It is highly likely Clannad is going to be released on Steam. It is already all ages. But everything depends on Key I guess. "True" VNs such as Planetarian and Fault from Sekai didn't sell well while Sakura Spirit and Nekopara sold really well in comparison.

Cho Dengeki Stryker has some embarassing stats, considering it's been on Steam for over 6 months.

It's not surprising considering that it was the first VN on Steam to cause an outrage over censorship, which no doubt greatly affected its sales.

I'd venture a guess that it being full-length and hence full-price affected sales a whole lot more than the censorship issue, which was frankly a non-issue to begin with.

I'd venture a guess that it being full-length and hence full-price affected sales a whole lot more than the censorship issue, which was frankly a non-issue to begin with.

You're greatly underestimating the power of ignorance.

While it *should* be a non-issue; it's clearly not. I'm sure that even here, people will tell you that they will *not* support censorship in any way, regardless of how it affects the medium.

If you were to poke your head in on the Cho Dengeki Stryker Steam forums now, you will find very little else but topics discussing and criticizing censorship.

Of course, it being a big VN with high production values and so on; the pricing puts people off.

Considering that it's one of the few full-length VNs on Steam, that's kind of disheartening as well.

Note that the VN is currently 50% off, yet all that is being discussed is boycott and taking a stance against censorship.

How come Planetarian and Eden* are so low ? When VNs gain on popularity top sellers are always eroge and dating-sims, even in the west, that's depressing.

I assume this info is retroactive, so titles that have been out longer will have higher sales figures. Given that some of those titles have been out for a year (or more), I'm not surprised at the differences.

Well...Winged Cloud clearly have a reason to make another 10 Sakura VNs....

The good news is Sakura Angels had so little sales compared to Sakura Spirit that they might stop after game 3-4 if sales keep dropping.

Include this data over here. Sure is hard being a Korean otome games enthusiast.

Wait is Nameless or Dandelion good? I keep thinking about getting one of them but I've been on the fence.

If My Heart Had Wings 16,568 ± 5,482

Cho Dengeki Stryker 3,314 ±2,452

Cho Dengeki Stryker is doing poorly due to censorship

Wut?

I honestly can't fathom how retarded people would have to be to complain about censorship on a platform that mandates censorship when an uncensored version is available from the same publisher elsewhere.  Meanwhile they gobble up If My Heart Had Wings?  Are these people daft?

Looks like the two games are being sold at about the same price point too.

Well kind of. But not entirely. One mistake and it's over. Trial and error. Save a lot.

Not really? It takes multiple errors for it to be over. First off some errors (for example executing one of the noble girls) will lead to other errors (a revolt, war between kingdoms, fight to the death) and if you fail tha t you fail. Basically you had to make 2 mistakes, more mistakes if you count the multiple ways to solve the problem.

Let's explain with the crazy lady someone wants you to execute

so there is this guy who asks you to execute this lady. If you choose not to out right execute her he gets all hissy at you. That is mistake number 1. Now he wants to kill you. If you go to the festival instead of staying inside he will try to kill you. That is mistake number 2. Now he will try to fight. If you decide to run away but don't know how to run that is mistake 3. If you try to fight him with something you throw and don't know how to throw it that is mistake number 3. If you try to use a sword and don't know how to use a sword that is mistake number 3. If you try to use magic against him and don't know magic that is mistake number 3.

. Your death wasn't trial and error it was you raising a chick not to respect people and then trying to solve problems in ways you haven't taught her to solve problems.

Or how about the famous chocolate scene?

did you know you don't always see the chocolates? The chocolates are avoidable if you raise a princess who embraces her magic. You have a series of well rounded checks if you don't manage to either kill the person who sends them to you or convince them to join your side. If you take the chocolates you still have a poison check to help you survive.

Again 3 steps to survive you just have to pass one of them. You get pretty much 3 chances for everything and 1 chance is always a big list of skill checks that you just need to pass 1 or partially pass a couple to succeed in. The game is super common sense in that you raise your princess the way you've taught her. If you didn't teach her athletics you don't put her in adventurous situations if you didn't teach her how to handle people you avoid making speeches. It IS a raising Sim and pretty easy to win with many different princess types if you know how to play to her character

Not really? It takes multiple errors for it to be over. First off some errors (for example executing one of the noble girls) will lead to other errors (a revolt, war between kingdoms, fight to the death) and if you fail tha t you fail. Basically you had to make 2 mistakes, more mistakes if you count the multiple ways to solve the problem.

Let's explain with the crazy lady someone wants you to execute

so there is this guy who asks you to execute this lady. If you choose not to out right execute her he gets all hissy at you. That is mistake number 1. Now he wants to kill you. If you go to the festival instead of staying inside he will try to kill you. That is mistake number 2. Now he will try to fight. If you decide to run away but don't know how to run that is mistake 3. If you try to fight him with something you throw and don't know how to throw it that is mistake number 3. If you try to use a sword and don't know how to use a sword that is mistake number 3. If you try to use magic against him and don't know magic that is mistake number 3.

. Your death wasn't trial and error it was you raising a chick not to respect people and then trying to solve problems in ways you haven't taught her to solve problems.

Or how about the famous chocolate scene?

did you know you don't always see the chocolates? The chocolates are avoidable if you raise a princess who embraces her magic. You have a series of well rounded checks if you don't manage to either kill the person who sends them to you or convince them to join your side. If you take the chocolates you still have a poison check to help you survive.

Again 3 steps to survive you just have to pass one of them. You get pretty much 3 chances for everything and 1 chance is always a big list of skill checks that you just need to pass 1 or partially pass a couple to succeed in. The game is super common sense in that you raise your princess the way you've taught her. If you didn't teach her athletics you don't put her in adventurous situations if you didn't teach her how to handle people you avoid making speeches. It IS a raising Sim and pretty easy to win with many different princess types if you know how to play to her character

Well I suck in that case. But yes I agree that it is a raising sim in that regard.

About the chocolate:

If I recall the only way I could've figuried it out was training my dogs and possibility falconry or something else. I played it ages ago so I hardly recall everything. I always tried to be the bes in everything.