Impending Shoutbox Discussion

Hey everybody,

It's time to talk about FuwaChat. I'm interested in hearing your (yes, you!) thoughts about it.

• At least for now I see FuwaChat as an experiment. Like most recent changes, we as a community will revisit this in a few weeks to assess its efficacy
  • I've been getting a lot of reports that spam and derailing chatter are decreasing thanks to moderation. That kind of interaction isn't ever going to go away, though, so I'm interested to see if FuwaChat can fill that need
  • On some level it's also intended as a bridge until I can get all our ducks in a row and do that whole 'lounge*' overhaul
  • I realize it could also be a horrible decision : P

Before making a move on this, does anybody want to speak up, share their thoughts, or offer suggestions for implementation?

* Lounge ™ by Rooke Corporation International

The results of this are fairly unpredictable, so I'd just roll it out and see as well (but do have mods from the start...). Do be aware that chats like these can be all nice and peaceful for a long time then flare up into shitstorms (we have seen this happen in certain other places).

Do be aware that chats like these can be all nice and peaceful for a long time then flare up into shitstorms (we have seen this happen in certain other places).

Shitstorms or AMApocalypses. That was actually a thing.

I think a shoutbox was the first idea I posted in the improvements board. Nice to see it happening~

I will most likely drop by and use it every once in a while but like batman said i prefer using the offsite chats that fuwanovel members use.

Will the chat be moderated and  if so too what degree will it be moderated?

dont worry we will be able to do stuff even with them here.

I don't see any reason for this to be more moderated than your typical IRC/TS. That is, as long as you don't abusively flood the thing or insult everyone and their mom (especially the moms, you don't insult the moms okay), anything goes.

The simple mention of "moderation" seems to give trollish people bad ideas anyway...

It's more public than an IRC/TS I guess so maybe not the best place to vent your frustration about how someone posted a stupid thread or something though :ph34r:

I don't see any reason for this to be more moderated than your typical IRC/TS. That is, as long as you don't abusively flood the thing or insult everyone and their mom (especially the moms, you don't insult the moms okay), anything goes.

The simple mention of "moderation" seems to give trollish people bad ideas anyway...

It's more public than an IRC/TS I guess so maybe not the best place to vent your frustration about how someone posted a stupid thread or something though :ph34r:

I agree, any more moderation than this and it won't be a free chat anymore. 

I don't see how it could cause any harm. A trial experience as planned is probably the best way to go about it.