How do you guys read so much?

Silvz

VNs are surprisingly easy to marathon. I can't do that with anime for example. So if you have enough free time and motivation it can go pretty fast.

Also the time indicators on vndb are a bit large. The 50+ hours no-gameplay VNs are usually more 35-50 hours-ish.

I dunno, Rewrite took me 60-70 hours and Muv-Luv + Muv-Luv Alternative combined about 80-90. Some medium-length (10-30) VNs took me 40-50 hours, but I wouldn't really call myself a slow reader.

Well, it's all the better if you spend more time enjoying a good game, isn't it?

It all depends if the vn is captivating or not really. Don't force yourself to read something you're not enjoying.

^This

I dunno, Rewrite took me 60-70 hours and Muv-Luv + Muv-Luv Alternative combined about 80-90. Some medium-length (10-30) VNs took me 40-50 hours, but I wouldn't really call myself a slow reader.

Well, it's all the better if you spend more time enjoying a good game, isn't it?

Yeah, it's really not a matter of having to read faster than someone else or anything, just pointing out that those 50+ indications aren't necessarily true. Granted, Key games tend to be insanely long, but for example, Muv-luv took me about 25 hours and Alternative 35, so 60 combined - I'm probably average in terms of reading speed - whereas just Alternative is indicated as 50+ by vndb.

Well, there's the factor that you read faster in "shit get realz" scenes when adrenaline pumps into you blood, and Muv-luv is full of that >_>

Well I'm the same and it's good to read fast but it's way better to enjoy the routes the most you can so I think you should take your time and read when you feel like it.

Also it's hard to stop when you are really into the story and It's over before you notice.  :lol:

Most VN lengths are exaggerated due to slow Japanese reading times... there are really only a very few VNs that really require 50 hours or more that aren't gameplay-oriented.  Most VNs sit somewhere in between 12 and twenty hours, for someone with the necessary Japanese knowledge to play using jparser/translation agg.  I generally take lots of short breaks from work and during those breaks I play, as well as while I eat my meals.  I also use almost all my free time on VNs...lol  I don't have a social life to speak of, after all.

Most VN lengths are exaggerated due to slow Japanese reading times... there are really only a very few VNs that really require 50 hours or more that aren't gameplay-oriented.  Most VNs sit somewhere in between 12 and twenty hours, for someone with the necessary Japanese knowledge to play using jparser/translation agg.  I generally take lots of short breaks from work and during those breaks I play, as well as while I eat my meals.  I also use almost all my free time on VNs...lol  I don't have a social life to speak of, after all.

I feel the VNDB estimates are based on what the auto play time calculates out to. Could be wrong on that, but it makes sense.

I feel the VNDB estimates are based on what the auto play time calculates out to. Could be wrong on that, but it makes sense.

Oh, that would make sense. The auto-play is usually slower than the average reader. Well, sometimes it can be tweaked, but the default value often is.

I tend to be quite a quick reader, i read alot of fantasy novels and stuff outside of playing on my PC and what not, so i guess it just kind of helps me when i'm speeding through routes, i only really take a few minutes to appreciate sprites and graphics and what not, other than that i end up reading through it pretty quick, sometimes having to re-play some texts as i end up skipping over some good voice acting moments. xD 

In alot of VN's you can tweak the auto-play speed i think, it's quite quick in Dengeki Stryker for instance.

I heard a simmilar question "How do you guys watch so much Anime" more times than I can remember and the ansver is the same. You just put a lot of time into it. I gues I could be called a slow reader I need around 50h for VNs labeled as 10h-30h on VNDB but when I start reading a VN I usualy read it around 15h daily until I finish it. But I enjoy reading VNs so the more I have to read the batter. For example I nedded 105h for Ayakashibito and on VNDB it says 30h-50h. I might be eble to read it faster if I really tried but I prefer to read it slowly to get into a story batter.

Oh, that would make sense. The auto-play is usually slower than the average reader. Well, sometimes it can be tweaked, but the default value often is.

No that wouldn't make any sense as I am not as slow as auto-play but I still need around double time then what VNDB is suggesting. VNDB time is based on average readeres and you are just above average when it comes to reading speed.

It gets hard to balance video games, anime, regular book, social life, work/school and VN's. I sometimes have trouble on focusing on what I want to do. I say just pick a night and start reading, when you get bored just take a break and watch an episode of anime or play a match of a game or go for a walk or whatever you want to do for like a 20 minute break then go back to it. Not everyone can marathon but if you can multi task you can probably read a VN and watch an entire anime series at the same time. The reason I say pick a night is because you may not be sleeping.

I tend to find that popular titles tend to have right time estimates on vndb. I used like 50 hours on muv luv alt and usually around under ~30 hours on the "10-30 hours" titles. Depends if I want to listen to the voices a lot or not really. Or it's boring so I read faster.

On the other hand titles with no TL's tend to have messed up stats. Like tokyo Babel, 10-30 hours honestly lol. I don't read that fast, but that's just not right.

Back to main topic lol. I tend to read 2-3 hours each day. Sometimes I marathon 10+ hours for a few days if I have the time. If I really love the vn and I am in the mood I might do 5+ hours each day for weeks. I love VN's so I read them a lot. Also I am used to sit for hours and consentrate so it's really nothing that new for me.

I'd like to join that club too!

I enjoyed Rewrite a lot, but when I was reading it, I couldn't read any other novels. Now I'm on RGD, and only that. So basically, the secret is to give the novels a dedicated time to read them, marathoning or not.

Most of people here are also slow readers too, so I'm not alone \o/

It gets hard to balance video games, anime, regular book, social life, work/school and VN's. I sometimes have trouble on focusing on what I want to do. I say just pick a night and start reading, when you get bored just take a break and watch an episode of anime or play a match of a game or go for a walk or whatever you want to do for like a 20 minute break then go back to it. Not everyone can marathon but if you can multi task you can probably read a VN and watch an entire anime series at the same time. The reason I say pick a night is because you may not be sleeping.

95% of people here don't have a first one and 50% don't have a second one, and thats prety much the key to finding enough time for other of thouse things.

I tend to read it slowly, but because I like to hear the narration of the characters. I know there's some people who skip the voices and just read the text by itself, but the voices are a big part of it in my opinion, only in some cases it can really move you without any voices at all ("To the Moon" for instance).

I gotta work, play VNs, enter the internet and go hiking.

You take one day for the hiking, 4 hours per day of the work, eight of the sleep and other basic things, 4 for the internet and you still have 8 hours per day to read VNs! I also read in a fast pace, so the numbers just kinda accumulate. I've read over 250 of them until now (without counting nukige), I think only Clephas read more than that here.

Holy crap Clephas, that's still 80 VNs a year :o Considering it takes me up to an entire week to finish a long VN like Rewrite or Grisaia, I wouldn't even reach that number in 10 years (probably).

Anyways, back to topic, as everyone said, you simply have to devote yourself to VNs. Luckily I don't have to study in order to score good marks on my university exams so as soon as I get home from work everyday (which is around ~5 PM), I start booting my PC and play the VN I'm currently working on until ~11 PM, which makes 6 hours of VN a day. Basically, I have no social life at the moment, so I can devote my entire free time to VNs.

About five to nine non-nukige VNs are released for PC every month.  It has been that way since around 2004, with fluctuations for market conditions and other issues.  As such... just how many do you think have come out by now, just in that time?