Do you like or dislike grindy-fest games?

neromercer

You know, those J-RPGs that have a lot of grind here and there?, lots of people told me things about games like Yumina being super grindy, and I myself have been playing Tales of Graces f for around 125 hours just to get the platinum, and I'm STILL not done with it yet.

SO HERE GOES THE QUESTION, do you like or dislike grindy games?, and tell us why you like/dislike them :D

So here I go:

I actually pretty much... LOVE grindy games, because I'm a 100% maniac, and the more content the game has, and the harder it is to get the 100%, the more I'll be content with my hard work in the end, I'm near the platinum in this one, and I'm SO happy... but I know that the platinum here isn't a 100% for example, yet I want to end it... but... YOU KNOW WHAT? Then I'm doing the farming WHILE I complete the main trophies, then I can do everything easy and fast.

I also have a mania for keeping my savegame clean, by this I mean... DON'T DO THIS IF YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO... or, DON'T LEAVE THIS QUEST UNFINISHED BY ANY MEANS, I just hate seeing anything in my savegame unfinished, and sometimes I even create more than 3 new games just to get everything 100%.

Then there are those games which I do enjoy the first gameplay as if it was my last one, but then I suddenly go "I MUST COMPLETE IT 100%"... and I rampage through the game, making something that's about 25-50 hours last about 50 to 75 hours more, and that's... basically my routine in gaming that isn't VNs.

About how I have the patience for everything I said here, I actually don't... I'm always mad at something going bad, but once I get used to the game, things like "failing" become a self-training to me, someday of course I wish to do really cool combos and things like that, and every step I take makes it closer :D... now I think about, how would it be if I was this enthusiast with the real life... well, I'm still good at grades so I don't think I need it still.

Well, I'm awaiting lots of responses, probably lots of people hating on grindy-games and some people saying that they just like a few, I don't really see a lot of Grindy 100% Maniacs like me.

i'm hate grinding with a passion. I don't really know the exact reason but I do have an idea. I'm more into the story of most games and VN's and I see having to take tons of time and energy grinding and leveling up as getting in the way of that. Not that I don't enjoy gameplay, in fact, there are a lot of times when is done very well, but I don't enjoy it as much as I could because of the grinding aspect.

As long as it isn't required and the random battle system isn't used anymore I'm good. Take for example a game like kamidori it hasn't felt that grindy for me except in a couple instances where I was short on material but replaying levels to get 100% is fine. They also had a deadbeat dungeon you can use to level up under levelled characters so I think got the formula mostly right.

As far as I'm concerned, if the reward for the grind is exciting I don't have any problem with it. in P3 you had grind to get THAT persona with THOSE attacks, etc, etc.

I also grinded Etrian Odyssey II and III for the true last bosses. and well... being a shoot 'em up player is like getting in a grindtrain, specially if you want to get some retarded achievements like I do.

Also, fighters like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear...

I basically read VN to distract myself and not start grinding and grinding haha

I used to enjoy playing big RPGs like Final Fantasy VIII and following a guide to ensure I unlock absolutely everything out there. Nowadays, though, I'll just play a game normally and do whatever sidequests happen to come my way. That is, unless it's a game I adore like the Mass Effect trilogy. To sum it up, these days, I can only play through games that I can finish without any dungeon grinds.

I don't mind if there's a little grind, then I'll just turn on some music and chill. For example Minecraft and Terraria, in both at least at some point you'll end up mining with armour in which enemies can barely damage you, then it's just a matter of mining as much as you can in a set amount of time.

As far as I'm concerned, if the reward for the grind is exciting I don't have any problem with it. in P3 you had grind to get THAT persona with THOSE attacks, etc, etc.

I also grinded Etrian Odyssey II and III for the true last bosses. and well... being a shoot 'em up player is like getting in a grindtrain, specially if you want to get some retarded achievements like I do.

Also, fighters like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear...

I basically read VN to distract myself and not start grinding and grinding haha

This is the same I do actually, I was planning to play 1 or 2 VNs after I finish Graces f 100% haha, probably Little Busters and something else, maybe G-senjou.

That depends if I like the system of the game or not. Say Eien no Aselia- it's not grindy, but if it were, I wouldn't be able to play it, since I dislike the battle system. However, I loved Kamidori's system, and I grinded to get every character to level 99, get all of the artifacts, etc (Mylen's artifact took me about 20~30 replays through the same dungeon, and that wasn't even the one artifact I spent the most time to get).

Here's the thing.

There's a difference between grinding and gaining something while grinding. And grinding for the sole purpose of reaching a single goal.

I hate the latter because you're putting yourself through boredom and repetitiveness for one thing and in the end it feels unrewarding. Unless it doesn't require extensive grinding.

I like grinding that makes me enjoy the process not feel annoyed by it or tired of it. This makes for a more comfortable experience.

Basically there's 2 factors. How much grinding is there and what's the reward.

There needs to be a balance between the two.

So yeah it depends on the game.

To me, there are two types of grinders that exist: grinding to unlock better equipment and to unlock more gameplay.

I loathe for games where the main purpose of grinding is to gain better loot. This is why a great deal of action RPGs and MMORPGs come to a grinding halt to me. The concept or lure of hitting the same button or buttons in a single area for the purpose of better equipment does not do it for me at all. This is exactly where the Diablo series, Borderlands series and Guild Wars 2 did not do it for me.

If the grinding has the purpose of unlocking more skills or more abilities, I'm definitely all for it. That's why I am a fan of the tactical RPGs where there are a multitude of job classes and abilities within the class, such as Final Fantasy Tactics and the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series and even Pokemon. However, I have been the type just to get my entire party to level 99 just because it's the max level. My party in Pokemon is typically middling in the 60's.

i like grinding games im currently playing kamidori and it has everything i like in a rpg , item creation, grinding, lots of side quests. large selection of party members and great  variety in  gameplay content. as for what i like about grinding is i like it when its to achieve a goal such as possessing new skill or obtaining rare items. these things give me more goals to strive for and in rpgs besides great story and art the amount of variation and quantity of goals it what makes it rewarding for me,

I dislike grind.  Well more to the point, I dislike repetition.  I dislike Assassin's Creed for this reason; it's just the same activities over and over again.  On the other hand, I love Rogue Legacy despite the fact that you are constantly grinding for money because the gameplay itself keeps you constantly on your toes, so the grind feels secondary.

I've actually started to replay Final Fantasy VII and VIII recently and I've always loved those games (I've done everything possible in them quite a few times).  Not even those two however, I used to play a huge amount of WoW which was 95% grinding SOMETHING and 5% enjoyment to me (I ended up quitting the game with about 78,000 gold because of my grinding).  And even now I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV, which at the level cap means grinding out weekly tokens, grinding out the newly released raid until you get a piece of gear, or grinding out the secondary tokens for a secondary class.

To the point, I really don't know if I hate grinds.  I guess it matters on the reward from doing it.  I mean in FFVII and FFVIII grinding meant more experience, going to the optional missions and getting new summon materia/GF, or even getting really nasty weapons like Squall's Lionheart (which was grindy as all hell to get).  But when it came to games like WoW and FFXIV (MMOs), the grind was replaced by another grind essentially.  You would grind to get something but then weeks later something better has come out and you need to grind for that.

I can tolerate it to a certain extent, though I usualy try not to grind unless I have to since I find being overleveled often takes away some of the fun from the game.  I've been a huge RPG fan for years, especialy JRPGs, but what I like is a game where I can get by with just never running away, by doing the sidequests as they come, and playing smart during battle.  RPGs where you have to force beat the game by grinding usualy aren't really my thing.

A lot of people seem to dislike random encounters, but I don't mind them at all.  Dragon Quest style, bring it on, as long as the encounter rate isn't ridiculous and the battle system tedious.

I can tolerate it to a certain extent, though I usualy try not to grind unless I have to since I find being overleveled often takes away some of the fun from the game.  I've been a huge RPG fan for years, especialy JRPGs, but what I like is a game where I can get by with just never running away, by doing the sidequests as they come, and playing smart during battle.  RPGs where you have to force beat the game by grinding usualy aren't really my thing.

A lot of people seem to dislike random encounters, but I don't mind them at all.  Dragon Quest style, bring it on, as long as the encounter rate isn't ridiculous and the battle system tedious.

For me, I usually do everything I have to do at low levels so I don't take the fun out of the game when I get to higher levels, that's usually a must for me, because if not, then... where's the fun?

But my rule is absolute, I'm a 100% maniac, so I try to keep it fun while I still grind.

I like games that reward you for grinding without making it a requirement, offer multiple forms of grinding for whatever i'm grinding for, and make the grind entertaining. bonus points if it's a grind I can do with multiple people.

Like, take Phantasy Star or Monster Hunter for example?

That's yeah, the funniest of all of them, if it's a SP game I usually just chat through Skype while listening to music so I can take everything at once.

I think grinding is fine if it's needed for extra dungeons/post-game stuff but if the main storyline is grind heavy then that's pretty much a game breaker for me. Any combat system becomes boring when you're forced to do it to progress in my opinion.

Having said that, if side quests are interesting I usually complete them and if exploration is interesting and rewarding I do that too. It's just forced repetition that gets me.