What are your thoughts on sibling routes in VNs?

Nosebleed

1) I don't really mind it, but I don't actively seek it out. I'm an only child though, so I don't really understand sibling relationships at all. I don't get the icky feeling that some people might do when they relate it back to their real life siblings. I do actually really enjoy twincest in BL manga XD

2) Yes, I think it's absolutely fine to portray it! I love my fiction to break all kinds of taboos, since it's just that - fiction. It's a way to explore things that would/should never happen in the real world. There's a lot of fiction out there that features incest (Game of Thrones being just one example), but I do think that VN have a tendency to normalize it and make sibling-love all shiny and happy. I don't have anything against that, it's just interesting how it's become a 'thing' in many eroge/hentai, and has even seeped into non-erotic manga and anime (Oreimo etc.).

1) Yes, a definite yes.  I love sister routes, especially twin sister routes.  I have a thing for the forbidden and obsessively passionate relationships when it comes to romance, and sister routes tend to provide that more often than the regular 'I just met you but I love you' sort of VN romance.

2) I don't believe in censorship in literature or complete fiction, though I personally despise rape and am not fond of hard BDSM (anything beyond a blindfold or maybe tying the hands makes me wither, lol).  My only stipulation is that one should also understand where pro-censorship people are coming from.  In their eyes, fiction is not just fiction, it something a writer could see themselves doing in many cases.  Also, you shouldn't underestimate the amount of influence the written word can have on the reader.  A half a decade ago, I would have considered it disgusting to speak about my personal fetishes with others, and now I have no problem making jokes about it.  That is almost entirely due to my obsessive playing of VNs.  It is this influence that pro-censorship people fear, and it is a legitimate fear... though fear is not a good enough reason to ignore the principles of free speech.  Vulgarity and the like are matters of subjective perspective, and as such they are not legitimate reasons to suppress the freedom of expression. 

What you absorb into your body becomes your body.

What you absorb into your mind becomes your mind.

That's how I see it.

MY MIND IS LOLIS!

And on topic: I love imoutos so yes, I approve incest in eroge. Doesn't matter if blood related or not, it is the notion of doing something forbidden while parents are sleeping in next room and similar situations that excite me. Hatsukoi Anzu route was really the greatest imouto route I played, it had all the aspects an imouto route needs.

And then there is oniichan sharing! http://vndb.org/v12598 ... oh that game xD

As long as it's in a VN/game I'm fine with it.  Actually, I'm more than fine with it, I DESIRE IT.  I love the quiet deredere or tsundere imoutos or even the very playful but very caring onee-san characters.  Because they are already family, they share a special bond that nobody else could possibly already have, adds that "special feel" to the story.

And then there is oniichan sharing! http://vndb.org/v12598 ... oh that game xD

DAMN IT STEVE!!!  I'm going to go play that now.

1) No. I have a little sister, and NO!!! The very thought disturbs me.

2) Contrary to my reaction to number 1, I believe literature and fiction should be controversial. Hell I encourages it. While I hate the fact that sibling routes have become a kind of industry standard, I don't mind works that completely focus and analyze incestuous love. So I will never play a sibling route if it is just a mere route, but a VN like Kana: Little Sister that focuses solely on that aspect I would read. In other words if a work of fiction gives a taboo subject proper respect, (like Kana: Little Sister) then it can be commendable. But if a taboo subject is exploited merely to sell, (like most incest routes) then I hate it.

1) No. I have a little sister, and NO!!! The very thought disturbs me.

2) Contrary to my reaction to number 1, I believe literature and fiction should be controversial. Hell I encourages it. While I hate the fact that sibling routes have become a kind of industry standard, I don't mind works that completely focus and analyze incestuous love. So I will never play a sibling route if it is just a mere route, but a VN like Kana: Little Sister that focuses solely on that aspect I would read. In other words if a work of fiction gives a taboo subject proper respect, (like Kana: Little Sister) then it can be commendable. But if a taboo subject is exploited merely to sell, (like most incest routes) then I hate it.

Pretty much this.

However, if there's gonna be a sibling route, I'd say that writers shouldn't try to have their cake and eat it: The siblings should be blood-related. Otherwise, a lot of the impact (and maybe even the whole point) is lost.

1.    While not my favorite, I do like anime \ visual novels with a sibling romance based plot.

That type of theme isn’t something I actively seek out, so I’ve not seen many, but I’ve come across a couple of anime with that theme in it, and have enjoyed them.

Why do I enjoy such a thing? I think it’s because I like most kinds of forbidden love stories. Romeo and Juliet type stories where the world states the love should not and cannot be. How the couple struggle and try to overcome that opposition makes for a neat story.

When the world is against the relationship of the protagonist they often take their time progressing through the stages of the relationship and you end up with a story containing more simple platonic moments. Even when things turn sexual they don’t just jump right into the “main course” or even do everything shy of the main course. Once you just skip right to the end it’s boring. All other actions that precede that one “end result” are a lot more interesting to me.

2.    I do not think fictional work should be censored at all. People think things that would be wrong to act out all the time. People getting to talk about and express what they think is a good thing. If something fictional becomes illegal, then you’ve pretty much made someone’s thoughts illegal, and pretty much just invented a “thought crime”; much like in those oppressive dystopia themed books like 1984

1. Yes I love them. Why well because I don't see siblings being in a relationship as something wrong and I think that people who does are just full of prejudices. But because there are a lot of people like that siblings who are in relationship have a lot problems and I like to read about how they struggle to stay in relationship despite that and how they together fight injustice thrown upon them by society.

2. I don't just think that it is ok but I think that there should be more stories about this so that with time they might open the eyes of more people.

1. Yes I love them. Why well because I don't see siblings being in a relationship as something wrong and I think that people who does are just full of prejudices. But because there are a lot of people like that siblings who are in relationship have a lot problems and I like to read about how they struggle to stay in relationship despite that and how they together fight injustice thrown upon them by society.

2. I don't just think that it is ok but I think that there should be more stories about this so that with time they might open the eyes of more people.

When you say that you, "don't see siblings being in a relationship as something wrong", are really referring to a sexual relationship? Are you honestly in support of actual incest? If you had a sister,  than you would realize just how nasty the mere thought of that is.

When you say that you, "don't see siblings being in a relationship as something wrong", are really referring to a sexual relationship? Are you honestly in support of actual incest? If you had a sister,  than you would realize just how nasty the mere thought of that is.

Yes I am supporting incest, And I actually had a sister and we were in a relationship, she was the only women, the only person that I ever cared about. But I don't want to talk about my life story here. The point is when it comes to this topic I am talking from personal experience.

Yes I am supporting incest, And I actually had a sister and we were in a relationship, she was the only women, the only person that I ever cared about. But I don't want to talk about my life story here. The point is when it comes to this topic I am talking from personal experience.

Sorry man. It's just not a very common thing to run into someone who supports something so taboo, so I had to kind of confirm it. Also, most people I run into online who like sibling routes tend to be only children, so I mistakenly assumed the same of you. Anyway, I didn't mean to offend you and again, I'm sorry about my rudeness. 

Sorry man. It's just not a very common thing to run into someone who supports something so taboo, so I had to kind of confirm it. Also, most people I run into online who like sibling routes tend to be only children, so I mistakenly assumed the same of you. Anyway, I didn't mean to offend you and again, I'm sorry about my rudeness. 

There are a lot more people supporting it than you think, it is just that most people tend not to talk about it openly. And don't worry I didn't find myself offended as I am used to hearing a lot worse.

1) I wouldn't mind it, although I don't think I've played any VNs where a lot of emphasis is placed on a route with a blood-related sibling. In Sharin no Kuni Ririko barely ever appears, in Da Capo, Kana Imouto and G-Senjou you're not blood-related. The closest thing I can think of is probably Nayuki from Kanon and Saki from Yukizakura, but those are cousins. In any case, doesn't really matter to me.

2) Like RusAnon already said, no fiction should ever be outlawed.

1) For some odd reason I can't get enough incest when it comes to a story. I just find the forbidden passion to be more intense than most other stories.

2) God I hate censorship! I understand that there are tastes and that we should respect that but if you don't like something just don't look at it. The only time I think you can make a real complaint is when it is shoved down your throat. I don't like rap and I make jokes about it but I don't campaign to have the damn thing banned. The only time I will complaint about it really and openly is when people play it out load in a place where I am forced to listen to it. Like in my class.

Seems Clephas and I have a similar train of thought on this one.

1) I love it. I dunno why exactly but I simply love it for some odd bizarre reason despite me not getting along with my own little sister. :3

2) Yes. It's fiction and I personally see nothing wrong with incest as long as the two genuinely love each other and are prepared and determined to endure the backlash of society (I'm  looking at you Oreimo!). Screw society and its social norms and ethics! XD