How do YOU spend your time playing a hyped up VN?

Dergonu

Just now, Dergonu said:

Damn, how do you manage to stop yourself from just binge reading the game :pyaa:

I just get hooked and cant stop. When it comes to a not so good read, I cant get myself to read more than 20 minutes before I just have to do something else :wahaha: 

For those games, my mind goes like, "But wouldn´t you rather watch some anime? Ohhh, but you really want to read this VN instead! Come on, do this instead! COME ON!" Then I look at my progress and I got like 8 lines into the story form 20 minutes of "reading" :makina: 

FTFY

Well, savoring a certain thing isn't that rare with people, it's just more common for one to keep taking something they enjoy, rather than savoring it for a long time.

36 minutes ago, Juwhamu said:

I gather up some snacks, be it chips or whatever, a nice warm cup of tea, maybe ask a friend if they want to join in too and i start up a screenshare on skype so we can read it together. ^^

That is awesome :miyako:

Doesn't that get awkward when you reach the H-scenes though? :makina: 

I get super hyped about it and read alot about it (VN or normal game).

Then, usually a day after the fact, i remember a certain Space Marine Psyker's words

"Hope is the first step in the road to disapointment"

Possibly one of the best life lessons a game ever teached me. Expect the worst and you will be suprised on how the small good things will make you happy.

And if it is really shitty... well... you were prepared for it.

After that i usually forget about the game/VN until sporadic outbursts of hype. For example, days ago i was hyped as hell for Princess Evangile's fandisc, but discovered its only 10% translated. Hype died down.

Usually I am not hyped about VNs. I would be hyped only (and maybe) about Muramasa and Zero Time Dilemma (I do not actually check the release dates at all, but I probably would not miss it, as Funyarinpa would scream everywhere on forum about release :)).

The only release I was hyped about was VLR, and I had to buy 3DS (as was cheaper than Vita) for it.

And... Well... You know, I even did not marathoned it. I actually read it like any other VN (my usual way of reading - 30-40 minutes on lunch and 1 hour before sleep), and in 3DS there were even game breaking bugs, so i was actually not happy about the game (also because of expectations I had were much bigger than the actual experience).

Doesn't only apply for VNs, usually for all games I buy. I buy them the moment they're out (most of the time I pre-order them though), and then leave them sitting there until like a month or two later. Cuz I'm usually occupied with a game at any time, and I usually only play one game at a time. So my backlog ends up a bit long...

I desperately try to stop myself from imagining just how crappy it will be in comparison to how much it was hyped... I'm a pessimist by nature, and with VNs, my pessimism tends to be borne out by the results in most cases.  I don't know how many times I've played a VN that looked interesting and fell flat on its face almost from the beginning...

Suck up all the info about it. Get accidentally, but due to completely my own fault, spoiled on practically everything if it's been released already. Make Fuwa threads, follow threads elsewhere.

If it's a sequel, then I listen to OSTs and stuff of the previous installments, or replay them.

I am not a hardcore VN reader, so I can't relate to your situation, senpai. :wahaha:

Maybe just my usual VN reading habit, pause reading once a while to do something, and continue reading again. But at some good scenes, I can read without pausing, even completely cut any connections to real world.

But I never took a day off or skip sleeping. Life has better priority than VN. :makina:

I tell myself I'll just marathon the shit out of it, fail to, read half of it by 20 minutes chunk while procrastinating on the internet, then I finally get in a groove and finish it pretty quickly.

I'm seriously considering cutting my internet connection in order to be able to focus but I'd probably still find something else to do instead. That's how I end up with multiple VNs/books/anime at the same time...

1 hour ago, Down said:

I tell myself I'll just marathon the shit out of it, fail to, read half of it by 20 minutes chunk while procrastinating on the internet, then I finally get in a groove and finish it pretty quickly.

I'm seriously considering cutting my internet connection in order to be able to focus but I'd probably still find something else to do instead. That's how I end up with multiple VNs/books/anime at the same time...

Ahh yes, I think everyone have been in this situation once or twice :wahaha:

(Or ... a thousand times :yumiko: )

6 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

Picking up on tiniest things that annoy me, blowing them out of proportion and ruining the VN for myself by fixating on them. The greater the hype, the more I do it.

Oh yeah, so much this...

And not just for VNs, at least for me.

6 hours ago, Down said:

I was the same. On the beginning. G Senjo took me like 1.5 month.
But since then I'm reading/playing/watchin everything on my laptop with broken wifi card and no internet cable near me. And it just flows. :D (well, sometimes when I have a hard day reading I just play Mahjong, but it's rare ;p)

On 7. maaliskuuta 2016 at 5:35 PM, VirginSmasher said:

My ritual is that I get the VN, leave it there for about a year and then play it.

The curse of having a large backlog strikes again. :vinty:

This sounds familiar :D. When interesting-but-not-too-interesting game is close to release I wait in excitement and get it quickly and think "after I finish X it's time for this". When I finally get the urge to play it it's at least 1-2 years old.