Fuwanovel Thoughts - Quarter 3

OriginalRen

This thread was valid during summer because I was complaining so much during spring/summer. If you think the forum today is dead you lived under a rock a couple of months ago. We actually got a decent amount of new threads discussion everything in the VN section. The past day MuvLuv, VN club, Rewrite anime, announcements, what are you playing and at least 5 - 10 other threads are active. 

I recall analyzing the datatraffic from Nayleen back in May. The traffic was 1/3 or 1/4 (may be a bit wrong) of the same amount of traffic during April/May this year compared to last year at the same moment. I begun to question this and tried to get some change or at least a response. Nothing happened. But autumn is here and the activity is pretty good in my opinion. Yes I have been lurking since 2013 and I agree the forum were larger during that period of time. But it is actually good today I think. A couple of good discussions with some dead sub forums though. But as stated before in this topic. People tend to create subgroups with each other because you like each other. I still think the old Skype group was the best thing ever but because everyone else despised us I don't really care. I don't post that often either. If I post I try to at least do that with some substance. I can't shitpost.

But Ren. I enjoy your Streams and competitions. But they aren't for me. I can't force myself to lock myself up for several days or a couple of hours watching a stream. But I think this is pretty standard about forums. I have been playing a lot of different web browsers or other games with forums. They are dead in about a month even though you try. This forum is moving along and new members come and go. But as you see the old timers are here even though they are not posting stuff. That's what I like about them. They are not posting just because they have to be seen. Call me old fashioned but I am more annoyed by shitposting.

Call me lazy but I don't want to write these big avalanche topics about something I want to write. You know what? Because I am not entirely confident in my English. I hate to say so but my grammar is bad. So much for being lazy during some classes. I can feel the internal roar from you piercing my heart about the errors.

But I think you are being overreacting about the forum activity. I think that's fine at the moment, much better compared to 6 months ago. About the admin/management I think we all got opinions and thoughts how we should improve it. And yes the only thing which can improve is Tay stepping up and announcing something or at least doing some kind of change. Be it another temporary admin or whatever. But would it get better with another admin? I doubt it.

But a good rant post here. Enjoy. The forum is much better than 6 months ago. And sub groups are a part of every forum. Ren you got one yourself with your Teamspeak even though it is open for anyone. I know at least a couple of different Skype groups. But yes you should't totally ignore the forum even though you are doing stuff with other members outside of the forum.

Yes, I am upset. I am upset on a more personal level because I do stand by what I said in my original post - I am the only member of this site that actively tries to do anything when it comes to a sense of community on the forums. Nobody else does giveaways. Nobody else does games for the forums like I do. Nobody else hosts monthly themes in an effort to unite people on the forums. Nobody hosts the podcast or cares about it as much anymore. I wanted to plan a Halloween event for the site, but I don't even think that will interest people given how inactive this place has become.

So yes Kaguya, I do most of the stuff for the forums of Fuwanovel when it comes to community togetherness. I remember a time when me having some personal issues worried people to the point that they felt the forums would become a lot more boring, but now that isn't the case in anyway shape or form. I am upset on a personal level because I now feel like no matter what I try to do for the site, I cannot connect with anyone. There are always a few people who support what I try to do for the community, but I almost feel my job has been taken away from me. As Down said in my TeamSpeak:

"You want to entertain people, but what do you do when people are no longer entertained?"

Do I become a normal member? Do I leave the site? It makes me upset I can't make the community feel connected no matter what I attempt. So, that's where I sit.

As for the front site shit, that makes me upset for obvious reasons. There is literally no excuse for that at this point.

I'll give my thoughts on the situation (because this thread was missing the opinion of a socially anxious dictator).

As one of the heads of the VN Reading Club I've watched the club advance in the past five months. As the months have rolled on I've noticed something of a decline in member participation. That's why I suggested the idea of a retrospective/feedback thread to try and figure out how we can make the club more interesting and open to members (thanks for posting it Kyrt). Hopefully we'll be able to fix any problems but the only way we can is to figure out what the problems are.

so how does this relate to this thread?

Well, I, perhaps like most members, were unaware of any real problems on the site in regards to participation etc. This may be due to a lack of communication between the admins and us peasants but all the same, I was simply ignorant. Having read this thread I'd like to help out any way I can and I'm sure most people would, they just simply need to be told that they're needed. After all, how can something be fixed when no one knows it's broken? 

I think the best thing we can do at this point is ask one question. Why? Why aren't people participating? Why are people leaving? why don't people see what are (apparently) obvious failing on the site?
Once we figure out the problem, then we can deal with it.

I don't participate as much as I'd like for a few reasons. The fact that, due to my time-zone, a lot of stuff happens while I'm either sleeping or at uni and sifting thought all the new threads and comments simply becomes to bothersome. But when I do participate I honestly can't see many of the problems Ren is talking about. The Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort Thread has been flooding my e-mails, Old Zenny recently revived the Princess Evangile Thread (and the Waifu Wars within).

So although things aren't as good as they can be, they are still pretty good and could definitely be worse.

But of course this is just my opinion, it could be that I'm wrong on every level and I'll cop to my mistakes if I've made any. I just feel  we need a little more context before we start pointing the finger at anyone.

I do stand by what I said in my original post - I am the only member of this site that actively tries to do anything when it comes to a sense of community on the forums. Nobody else does giveaways. Nobody else does games for the forums like I do. Nobody else hosts monthly themes in an effort to unite people on the forums. Nobody hosts the podcast or cares about it as much anymore. I wanted to plan a Halloween event for the site, but I don't even think that will interest people given how inactive this place has become.

Funny you should mention giveaways; one of the potential ideas for the VN Club is to have quizzes where we give prizes away. So you may not be the only one for too long. 

Edited by Nimbus

Yes, I am upset. I am upset on a more personal level because I do stand by what I said in my original post - I am the only member of this site that actively tries to do anything when it comes to a sense of community on the forums. Nobody else does giveaways. Nobody else does games for the forums like I do. Nobody else hosts monthly themes in an effort to unite people on the forums. Nobody hosts the podcast or cares about it as much anymore. I wanted to plan a Halloween event for the site, but I don't even think that will interest people given how inactive this place has become.

Ah, a sense of community, that's a tricky business. I hope you don't mind if I ramble for a moment or two :).

I remember talking with quite a few people about group friendships, and feeling sad about people going their separate ways and how you deal with it, how you stay together, and etc etc. The fact of the matter is this - if a group of people only comes together to have fun and talk about hobbies, muck around, share a laugh, play a game or two, then that group of people will always split apart at some point in the future. The bonds forged between these people are too superficial to withstand any tension, or any semi-serious inconvenience. Let me quote a story from Jeremy Clarkson's past:

"Back in the eighties I spent pretty well every saturday night with the same group of freind's in a King's Road basement bar in Kennedy's We laughed all the time, we went on stage with the band, we sang, we drank ourselves daft and we knew, with the sure-fire certainty that night will follow day, that we'd be mates forever.

Had one of them been accused of gouging the barman's eye out with a lawnmower, I'd have told the police I was dead at the time and that I knew nothing. I would even have taken the heat on his behalf, had push come to shove. Which would have made me feel awfully foolish today because I have no idea where two of those friends are, and, for the life of me, I cannot even remember what the third one was called.

How did this happen? Presumably, when I said goodbye for the last time ever, I really did believe I'd be seeing them all again the following weekend. It wasn't like we'd had a row, or that they'd all grown beards or moved to Kathmandu. We just went home and never saw one another again.

And this happens all the time. I went throug my address book earlier and there are countless hundred of people, friends, muckers, soul mates and former colleagues who I never see."

This indeed happens all the time. You’re friends with somebody when you’re 15, but when you’re 20 you suddenly meet up and find you no longer have anything in common. And the depth of the bond between you two isn’t strong enough to overcome this. Or you suddenly got busy, and you’re too tired to want to do anything, whether you continue to stay in touch will depend on the strength of that bond between the two of you. That is to say, is your friendship real or do you just meet up to whack out a rounds of Persona Arena at the local arcade every day? Because if it's the latter, then the slightest inconvenience or hardship will snap that friendship and chances are you won't even regret it breaking. Similarly, your forum games sometimes involve a bit of work and if bonds aren’t strong enough or incentives aren’t there for people to want to withstand that, then people won't participate.

This brings me rather round-aboutly to my point (‘round-aboutly’ is a word… now *shifty eyes*.) You’re an exceptional entertainer, Ren, but you don’t build a sense of community through a mutual sense of having a good time, a community is built upon very real and deep bonds.  I understand where you’re coming from though, the Members Lounge was supposed to be a place where members of the community could share real parts of their lives with other members, because this act of sharing is one of the ways people bond and grow close to one another. It was supposed to foster a sense of community before it failed spectacularly and hilariously, so that idea was my one attempt at that. You can’t shove a sense of community down people’s throats, so… not much you can do. This is kinda where I say ‘that’s life’, then I laugh nervously, give you a hearty whack on the shoulder, and offer you a strong drink :)

Anyway, Fuwa is surviving by being a place where people can come and talk about Visual Novels. So we may not be a close knit community, but it’s a place where people can relax and talk about common interests, or participate in projects, in a non-judgemental and respectful atmosphere. And maybe that’s not so bad. Maybe that's all it needs to be for now. Maybe it will be something more in the future.

I dunno, I'm working on a brand new website with 3 programmers.

Those who don't give a fuck never did in the first place, the list of names isn't that surprising. What the heck did you guys expect with a randomly chosen staff anyway. There are only a handlyful members and staff members that can actually do things for this place, I learned not to expect anything from anyone else but these.

Everybody has his own objectives, mine is "making VNs popular in the West", and I have an idea of how I'm going to do it.

Problem is, most people on fuwa don't give a flying fuck, and they don't have to.

It's about time we stop getting surprised when untrustworthy people don't hold up to our expectations.

I think you are unique in your motivation and dedication Ren. Giveaways, prizes and competitions are unique. I have never crossed a person with this state of mind and dedication. Nothing against your games or how you are in person. But this is an unique feature and I think a lot of people think so too. I was surprised and a bit skeptical when I first saw your competitions. Why would anyone giveaway stuff for free (except the effort in the game). Peoples are lazy too and many of them can't force themselves to participate. But that's how a lot of us are.

Yes I agree with Maef. Most of us are plebs without any knowledge in how we should improve the site. I am probably one of them because my skill in programming isn't that good. Yes I got suggestions and ideas but I can't help improve them in any way what I think of. I could always try to help in some way. But I would still be dependent on someone else helping me. If I was really good at writing reviews I can't do anything about it except writing them and possibily post them on the forums or maybe the blog. But FuwaReviews are up and running. I don't really know who did everything behind in the shadows. But it isn't a site you just put up in an hour (well you can but it would be terrible). I studied web design in school and it is a lot trickier than you may think. I got mad respect for the guys knowing this and doing it on their spare time. 

But we should be able to take something from these and maybe try to pinpoint the problems and working together to fix the problems? Some of them are most likely easier to fix than others. If we can pinpoint the concerns we may at least get some answers later?

Nobody hosts the podcast or cares about it as much anymore. 

Because there are better podcasts jk

One thing I would like to point out is that, while you're not the only one who does stuff on the forum, you're probably the only one who does the kind of things you do. They are at the end, luxuries. Not all forums have giveaways or forum games or community podcasts, and you happen to be the only one here, aside from that one time Rose did one, who does it.

You seem to be expecting other people to start doing these activities or for them to renew their interest in your new ones.

Alright, time for a bit of brutal honesty: They're not as good. Your old activities had more interaction for us, mainly the games. I don't think most people here would prefer watching you dance over playing the games you created, like the card game thing or the riddles thing. A bit more organization of the games would also be nice, I recall the other team not making a move and you not doing anything about it for like weeks until both sides got bored.

Maybe brain storm new ideas and make a poll to see which one people want more?

How about asking people what podcast topic they would prefer to talk about?

But if you chat on the TS all day and then decide to do a fitness training stream out of the blue, don't expect staggering results.

There's a lot you can do Ren. You have great potential, and while people might be lazy and guilty, you have to realize you can be just as lazy and guilty. I don't mean to hurt you, but by this point I don't think anything but brutal truth can make a difference. Peace out man.

Because there are better podcasts jk

One thing I would like to point out is that, while you're not the only one who does stuff on the forum, you're probably the only one who does the kind of things you do. They are at the end, luxuries. Not all forums have giveaways or forum games or community podcasts, and you happen to be the only one here, aside from that one time Rose did one, who does it.

You seem to be expecting other people to start doing these activities or for them to renew their interest in your new ones.

Alright, time for a bit of brutal honesty: They're not as good. Your old activities had more interaction for us, mainly the games. I don't think most people here would prefer watching you dance over playing the games you created, like the card game thing or the riddles thing. A bit more organization of the games would also be nice, I recall the other team not making a move and you not doing anything about it for like weeks until both sides got bored.

Maybe brain storm new ideas and make a poll to see which one people want more?

How about asking people what podcast topic they would prefer to talk about?

But if you chat on the TS all day and then decide to do a fitness training stream out of the blue, don't expect staggering results.

There's a lot you can do Ren. You have great potential, and while people might be lazy and guilty, you have to realize you can be just as lazy and guilty. I don't mean to hurt you, but by this point I don't think anything but brutal truth can make a difference. Peace out man.

That isn't brutal truth. I've already addressed this. In fact, I have already made thousands of polls in the past to which people have said the same shit. You can't say a game is boring unless you actually sign up for it, which...oh wait, nobody is doing. The community which used to participate in things only participates when it involves free shit. All the "community rocks" posts are just a bunch of empty words that don't have any value to them. Do you honestly believe people will participate in a Halloween activity? Do you believe Christmas will have any sort of community value on this site at this point? Ha. I wanted to make another time capsule this year, but do you think anyone will even bother to write anything? Of course not.

I get bored because what is the point of entertaining myself and fapping to my own shit? Ever understand the concept that your attitude affects those around you? The community is lazy and doesn't give a flying fuck, so why should I? It really makes me understand why Aaeru probably left this place. If Tay does the same at some point, do you honestly think this site will ever get off its feet again? Of course it won't. Do you honestly believe anyone cares if that happens? Probably not. Please note that I am only talking about the forums in this case, and not the front site or off site work.

I get it, as Rooke said we have our social groups and that's fine, but at this point I feel this site is useless to me and there is no point in trying to run anything anymore. Maybe you don't care about how I feel, and that's cool, but put yourself in my shoes when this is something you enjoy doing and now people stopped caring. People are lazy on Fuwanovel, but somebody has to do this shit right? Somebody has to write reviews, somebody needs to administer the site, and somebody needs to be a community body. It isn't always fun, but somebody has to do it right? If not, Fuwanovel wouldn't even exist babiker.

I must thank you though, because if people were more honest I could have realized I'm beating a brick wall at this point, something I absolutely hate doing because of all the pointless arguments I got in with Steve where he refused to ever admit he was wrong.

1. aside from that one time Rose did one, who does it.

2. Alright, time for a bit of brutal honesty: They're not as good. Your old activities had more interaction for us, mainly the games. I don't think most people here would prefer watching you dance over playing the games you created, like the card game thing or the riddles thing. A bit more organization of the games would also be nice, I recall the other team not making a move and you not doing anything about it for like weeks until both sides got bored.

3. How about asking people what podcast topic they would prefer to talk about?

4. There's a lot you can do Ren. You have great potential, and while people might be lazy and guilty, you have to realize you can be just as lazy and guilty. I don't mean to hurt you, but by this point I don't think anything but brutal truth can make a difference. Peace out man.

1. You remembered me, that's my boy. <3

2. I'll agree with this point. The murder mystery and battle of the guilds were really well-crafted I think, can't say for sure since I didn't took part in them, but the mystery games were pretty poorly done. 

3. I feel like the topics discussed are usually pretty good, people do share their thoughts about what the next one should be, don't they? At least they used to if I remember correctly.

4. To be honest, together with the new games not being as well done as the others, I think some people might have gotten tired of waiting for the prizes they won. I mean, yeah, it's not exactly cheap to ship all that stuff and all that, but when they take forever to come, people just lose interest. When you participate on a game with no prize, you do it because you want to have some fun, but when there's a prize, you're expecting to receive it if you win. I don't really mind the prizes myself, but I don't even remember which ones I've won so far since I only got updated about the shipping status once in the past - as in you asking for my address and saying it would take some time before you could ship stuff.

This is not really the matter at hand, but this is my honest feedback regarding your activities. I don't have anything else I want to add to the main discussion, sorry for the off-topic.

4. To be honest, together with the new games not being as well done as the others, I think some people might have gotten tired of waiting for the prizes they won.

Then it really is exactly how I imagined - Ren gives me free shit, that's all I care about. Notice how I stopped doing giveaways and am instead trying to host themes for the site? Remember when people raged at Nayleen for making people's avatars black and white and blamed me when I had nothing to do with it? I do. Welcome to the Fuwanovel "community." What a fucking bunch of hypocritical jokes.

Hi, I am a member of Fuwanovel. I do nothing for the site, but woe is me for taking my color away and having a little thematic fun. I bet people would rage if we made the site Halloween themed or even holiday themed.

Then it really is exactly how I imagined - Ren gives me free shit, that's all I care about. Notice how I stopped doing giveaways and am instead trying to host themes for the site? Remember when people raged at Nayleen for making people's avatars black and white and blamed me when I had nothing to do with it? I do. Welcome to the Fuwanovel "community." What a fucking bunch of hypocritical jokes.

Hi, I am a member of Fuwanovel. I do nothing for the site, but woe is me for taking my color away and having a little thematic fun. I bet people would rage if we made the site Halloween themed or even holiday themed.

Thank god I'm in for fun and not free. It just makes me feel morally superior while Ren is here blowing a fuse. Since I like fun I try to participate in every event which I feel qualified or have time to.

As for the Nayleen incident, that was entirely his fault. Don't blame the community, blame him. He changed the colours because of your game (as it gave him the idea to), of course people would think it was your fault.

As for changing the site's theme, it might be considerably different if there's actually an announcement explaining the change as opposed to the sudden colour blindness everyone suffered last time.

I distinctly remember how the Christmas avatar activity went. Even if people can't be bothered to Photoshop/learn how to make hats themselves, since there were members doing it for them, a good deal of the forums adhered.

Dude, did you see the game Stray cat did recently? The one about finding information about members. No prizes or anything, but 26 people joined and I think we all had a fun time. 

Dude, did you see the game Stray cat did recently? The one about finding information about members. No prizes or anything, but 26 people joined and I think we all had a fun time. 

Yup. I also made quick games like that, and nobody joined. So fuck Fuwanovel. Thanks for helping me realize that. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love (<3) everyone here, but fuck the site. Maybe people who left realized this far before I did.

Don't misquote me and don't put words in my mouth; never said anything about the site conspiring against me. That's the Pulltop yakuza's job.

I was, for once, not being sarcastic but making a, now that I think about it, quite quotable and troublesome joke basing myself on the class bullying method of ignoring a classmate as if he weren't there.

I have no idea where it came from, but it was quite clearly off-topic and unproductive in the spirit of a true Fuwanovel poster.

Well, comments aside, I have said my bit. If you were me, maybe you'd see why it is I am upset, but I can understand if people are annoyed by this. I've pretty much already ruined my reputation with these rants, so I just decided to go all out with it and say how I truly felt. Apologies if I offended anyone or made it seem I was targeting specific people.

Someone should be a community body, but given people's attitudes and my current reputation, I guess it's about time to find a new person. Or not, nobody seems to care enough anyways. I guess you can also help maefdomn out and join his new site as well. Best of luck with that by the way.

As for the colorlessness, wasn't just the usual whiners? Granted, as one might expect most of the stuff I actually saw about it was from the ts3, but I honestly feel that it was only the small anti-fun element on the site that actually considered it annoying.

While the community sections etc might be flagging in activity, I don't really see vn-related discussion decreasing, in fact I can no longer keep track due to the amount of new posts - and in fact, I think the reorganization of the forums some time ago was one of the best changes for the site "recently". For an example of this activity, see the Rewrite anime announced thread that popped up recently. When there's something to talk about, people will talk about it

I know you care about the community sections the most, but you know what? People have been whining about that previously. Whether or not you think the loss of community activity is a significant problem, perhaps this change can even be considered good by some users.

This post has been edited a million times

Edited by Zakamutt

As for the colorlessness, wasn't just the usual whiners? Granted, as one might expect most of the stuff I actually saw about it was from the ts3, but I honestly feel that it was only the small anti-fun element on the site that actually considered it annoying.

While the community sections etc might be flagging in activity, I don't really see vn-related discussion decreasing, in fact I can no longer keep track due to the amount of new posts - and in fact, I think the reorganization of the forums some time ago was one of the best changes for the site "recently". For an example of this activity, see the Rewrite anime announced thread that popped up recently. When there's something to talk about, people will talk about it

I know you care about the community sections the most, but you know what? People have been whining about that previously. Whether or not you think the loss of community activity is a significant problem, perhaps this change can even be considered good by some users.

This post has been edited a million times

Yeah, the colorlessness, at least to me, was amusing.  Didn't bother me at all.

Even if Fuwa isn't the most closely knit community, I really don't think it needs to be.  In fact, I would argue the inevitability of the breaking down of community as a website grows larger.  Fuwa really is like an open coffee shop.  People come and go, and only a few really prominent members know each other.  It is a place for fleeting meetings and greetings, where maybe, just maybe, you cause someone to stick around and become a regular.  We are all bound by a common interest, but that doesn't mean we are bound by obligation to each other.

As for me? When I first saw this thread and read through it, my honest first impression of it was "here we go again".  In the time I've been here, 6 months, I've seen at least 3 of these types of threads about the community dying.  There are probably a dozen more I missed too.

I have cigarettes, coffee, rope, myself and my cat.. can i "revive" stuff now ?! 

Heh, the cat's just there for food. You need to keep your energy up and all that...

While the community sections etc might be flagging in activity, I don't really see vn-related discussion decreasing, in fact I can no longer keep track due to the amount of new posts 

I have to admit, I've been quite happy about this.

Hey, at least Ryechu saved the FuwaReviews from me, and god damn, the work he has done for it has been great so far. 

In all honesty, FuwaReviews seems like the one bright spot here to me. The blog TL status updates have been good of course too, but I'd love to see the blog be a bit more active than that (though not with my help.)

Here is where I think I get where Ren is coming from, because what he is complaining about is something I am completely guilty of. We have all these people, who are saying they are going to do all these things. Nayleen the front site, me with Reviews, The LC council and whatever the fuck we do, the "Bloody Senators" and their little game, etc. etc. Then, real life happen. In my case, I attempted to tackle FuwaReviews and get it running. But after a long day of work, or school, or housework, or yardwork, the last thing in the world I wanted to do was a bunch of tedious reading, or site work. I wanted to sit around, naked, and play MGSV, or Fallout NV, or anything I could just shut my mind off and do.

I know nayleen works, Tay of course is like Dr. House on an island (and still in med school for the record), I'm just so damn tired and stressed all the time. These are real life issues that affect people we love and care about, and affect our futures. Lets say I slack on school work to pump out a review. Now I take a zero on an assignment and cant make it up because its college and its time to be an adult. Alright, well lets make sure school work is done before I do my review. Annnd now its the weekend and by god I work close to 30 hours in 3 days as weekends are damn busy in retail. So now I exhausted and can barely focus. There is no way in hell I could retain the information I need to write my review. And thus the cycle begins again.

So what we get is over-promising, and under-delivering. Not out of any malice, or dislike for the site or the direction it is taking, but because, in my case, I will literally get overwhelmed and eventually have a breakdown. Fuwanovel, 98% of the time, is the second to last thing on my mind, the last being the cleanliness of my room currently (its a disaster in here). 

Sadly for you, you, Fuwanovel is your hobby, and you don't really see things as work. So you put in a ton of effort to make people happy, and provide fun activities. You enjoy that thing. 

Meanwhile, I about lost my shit in my contest and got overwhelmed and now I feel like shit because I still can't afford to get the prizes to the winners. Instead, that money went to paying my doctor so he could give me strong pain pills when my throat decided to swell up and caused an incredible amount of pain when I was even breathing. 

Life just happens, and Fuwanovel is not my life. It should not be anyone's life. Because as much as I used to care about Fuwanovel, at the end of the day, its just a website with people who have a shared interest in VNs. 

I hope you continue to do what you do here Ren, because while I don't really ever take part in the competitions, I do like seeing the effort and creativity put into them.

Now to go do Spanish homework, get drunk, and sleep for like 5 hours before doing more house work. I've only slept like... 16 hours over the past 4 nights. 

Edit: No, fuck Spanish. I'm hungry and all I have had so far today is a glass of milk. Spanish homework can go to hell right now.